10" tread boards okay for staircase?

Sasquatch

Oct 17, 2006, 10:42:10 PM10/17/06
What do you guys think about 10" tread boards and
seven-and-three-eights-inches for the riser boards on our staircase?
The rough opening for our staircase on the second floor is off by 3
feet. The mistake was made by the truss company that designed our
floor truss systems, and nobody caught it until after our staircase was
built. Among other necessary changes (see our blog for details), this
caused our staircase tread boards to be only 10 inches. This is
allowed by code, but it is not exactly a luxurious size for the steps.
What do you guys think? Is 10 inches too wimpy and cramped? Here is a
link to our blog article where you can find a drawing that shows the
newly rearranged second floor. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/35/Disaster-Avoided-By-Rearranging-Second-Floor.aspx

Shannon Pate

Oct 17, 2006, 11:11:59 PM10/17/06
If you are adhering to the 2003 IRC, you may not be in compliance.

If, by 10" tread boards, you mean that the stair stringers will be cut with
a 10" seat, then you'll be fine. But if you mean the actual place where you
put your foot will only be 10", then you are in violation.

The language on this one is tricky. The codes say that a 10" minimum tread
is required. However, it says two things that are going to hang you up. It
says that treads less than 11" must have a nosing. It also says that the
treads are to be measured from the foremost projection of adjacent treads.
Therefore, your 10" step must have a nosing (I think the minimum nosing is
3/4") which will bring your measurement between the foremost projection of
adjacent treads down to a maximum of 9 1/4" which is a violation.

I don't know why they wrote it this way, but the bottom line is the level
cut of the stair stringer must measure at least 10" without adding any
tread.

If no ones inspecting, I say go forward. Until the IRC was adopted around
here we cut stairs on 9" with a 1" or 1 1/2" nosing all the time. In fact,
thats what was in my last house and I never once fell and broke my neck...go
figure...

Shannon Pate

"Sasquatch" <linu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Pat

Oct 17, 2006, 11:48:21 PM10/17/06

Okay, I'll say it before Don does: The truss company read the plans
wrong, missed the stair opening by 10 FEET, and you trust them to hold
your house up???????

The good news is that you want your house to look "old" and a steep
stairway is definately old. So that's good. The bad news is that they
changed to a larger stairway for a reason.

Shannon Pate

Oct 18, 2006, 12:02:08 AM10/18/06
I've looked at your plans and photos.

If I were building your house, I think I could find a way to fix it.

Post a picture of your engineered floor layout for both floors.

In the photos, it looks like the first floor stair opening is ok.

The problem is that the opening for the second floor stairwell should be 4'
from the front of the house. One side of the stairwell is a bearing wall,
so you could cut the I joists on that side with no problem. The other side
should have a beam with joists connected to it with joist hangers like the
downstairs stairwell.

So, you cut the joists on the bearing well and add a rim joist. Then, after
supporting the I joists on the other side, you remove the beam with the
joist hangers (I can think of several methods that would work). On the same
side as the beam, cut the I Joists needed to install a longer beam. Then,
install the longer beam, reattach the joists with joist hangers

Then, cut a new set of stringers with a minimum tread (cut) of 10" and a
maximum riser of 7 3/4".

On those risers, don't forget to consider the thickness of the finish
material at the top and bottom of the stairs, and the thickness of the
finish tread.

Shannon Pate

Sasquatch

Oct 18, 2006, 12:03:51 AM10/18/06
What is "2003 IRC?" Does that apply hear in Wisconsin?

When I measured the tread board, it was 10" from the face of the riser
to the edge of the tread board. So the part I put my foot on is 10".
There is a nosing, which hangs over somewhere between 1/2" and 1" but I
didn't measure that so I'm not certain.

- John

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 18, 2006, 12:05:02 AM10/18/06

Yup, a couple years back I slipped going down
stairs, stupidly I was wearing loose slippers on
size 12 feet, but the stairs were dinky size.
Ken

Shannon Pate

Oct 18, 2006, 12:40:11 AM10/18/06
I did some searching online.

It appears to me that there is a statewide adoption of the UDC codes in
Wisconsin. Once I learned that, I did some googling for stair codes in the
UDC. I found a UDC commentary which had some interesting information. Here
is the link to the commentary located on the Wisconsin Department of
Commerce website followed by the exerpt:

http://commerce.wi.gov/SBdocs/SB-UDCCommentary21A.pdf

(c) Tread depth. 1. 'Rectangular treads.' Rectangular treads shall have
minimum tread depth of 9 inches measured horizontally from nosing to nosing.

There is a notice under the commentary that says that all changes from
January 2005 were not included, but provides information on those changes.
In that document, the only stair related entries regarded the spacing of
spindles and such.

You can easily find all your answers tomorrow by calling the buliding
department listed on the building permit.

Shannon Pate

"Sasquatch" <linu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Don

Oct 18, 2006, 7:52:59 AM10/18/06

"Sasquatch" <linu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If you said 3' and not 3", thats not acceptable.
The truss companies require someone to sign the truss layout PRIOR to
fabrication of the trusses.
I'm one of those rare birds that does complete component design on all of my
plans, leaving nothing to error by nitwits working for minimum wage.
So, yes the truss company made an error but someone in the chain of command
under your employ ACCEPTED that error.
I say, rip it out and make it like its supposed to be.
You see, a stairway starts as a big hole in the 2nd floor and the entire
perimeter of that hole must be supported by the floor below.
This is all calculated out on the plans to transfer the loads to the
footing.
If the hole moves, as you've indicated, then the loads are transferred
accordingly and a structural failure may occur.
At the very least, stop construction right now and consilt with the original
design professional that prepared the plans.
If you don't do this right now you may very well pay much more later to
correct this thing.

Sasquatch

Oct 18, 2006, 10:40:45 AM10/18/06
Don wrote:
> If you said 3' and not 3", thats not acceptable.

Yeah, it is unacceptable. Truss company produced an incorrect design,
but that was because they were given incorrect information, and then on
top of that our builder didn't notice the mistake until the floors were
in place. Definitely a case of human error. But mistakes happen. As
long as it's fixed, I'm happy. We came up with a work-around that
allows the builder to use the existing floors. In some ways it's
better, because now the staircases are properly stacked, whereas before
our architect had cheated the stair cases, staggering them forward and
back for less headroom. Now we have more headroom going upstairs and
downstairs. And we have a safer landing upstairs. And they're redoing
the staircase so that the tread length meets IRC code, including 11"
tread boards, and 3/4" overhang, for a net tread length of 10-1/4"
which is 1/4" better than code. The rise is still 7-3/16", which was
already fine. We're just losing a little bit of our extra walk-in
closet upstairs. I can live with that. Better than ripping out LVLs,
sawing off the ends of engineered joists with a sawzall, etc.

Here's a link to our compromise design:

http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/article/35/Disaster-Avoided-By-Rearranging-Second-Floor.aspx

All the bedrooms have dimensions that are minimum 11+ feet, and most
dimensions are 12 or 13 feet, except for the spare bedroom/nursery,
which is 10' 6" by 12+ feet. Closets are generous with 72" bi-fold
doors. All hallways/landings/staircases are sized comfortably, too.

What do ya'll think?

- John

jojo

Oct 18, 2006, 11:55:22 AM10/18/06
reverse the swing on the front left bedroom door and you've got it!

"Sasquatch" <linu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 18, 2006, 12:41:56 PM10/18/06

jojo wrote:
> reverse the swing on the front left bedroom door and you've got it!

Nice observation you all...:-)
Ken

Sasquatch

Oct 18, 2006, 1:23:28 PM10/18/06
Done! Here's the latest version.

http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/images/SecondStoryFix.gif

Thanks. I missed that. But clearly we want it to swing the way you
recommended. Good catch.

- John

Don

Oct 18, 2006, 1:29:18 PM10/18/06
Say what?

"jojo" <cgv_2000@*remove your hat*yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 18, 2006, 1:59:18 PM10/18/06

Guy's and Gal's, I dislike bi-fold doors.
Sure they could save a bit swing space
but at the expense of running over a toe,
I've used them but only as a last resort,
oh and the're finger pinchers too.
I'd go sliders, either a pair of mirrors, or
nice looking stuff, and if you need to
completely open a closet, use accordions
or an attractive curtain.
I used a curtain with a soft red light in a
wide closet, makes a nice warm glow and
is ideal as a night light, so you can get up
and pee.
Ken

Don

Oct 18, 2006, 1:44:54 PM10/18/06
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

> jojo wrote:
>> reverse the swing on the front left bedroom door and you've got it!
>
> Nice observation you all...:-)

That door currently swings up against a small wall that is useless for
furniture as it is in the path of the walkway.
If the door swing is reversed it will take up more space in an otherwise
small room and cause issues with furniture placement.
Unless Jojo is talking about swinging the door out into the hallway which is
totally unacceptable.
As it is is the most efficient way of doing it.

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 18, 2006, 2:59:09 PM10/18/06

As I understand the thread, Jojo suggested a
door opening revision that became this...

http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/images/SecondStoryFix.gif

that Sasy subsequently posted, looks good
to me too for the reasons you specified.
Ken

JD

Oct 18, 2006, 3:04:57 PM10/18/06

"Ken S. Tucker" <dyna...@vianet.on.ca> wrote in message

????

JD

Oct 18, 2006, 3:04:38 PM10/18/06

"jojo" <cgv_2000@*remove your hat*yahoo.com> wrote in message
> reverse the swing on the front left bedroom door and you've got it!

What?! The bedroom doors all have proper swings.

JD

Oct 18, 2006, 3:14:33 PM10/18/06

"Ken S. Tucker" <dyna...@vianet.on.ca> wrote in message

I'm confused. Was the image updated after Jojo's post?

Don

Oct 18, 2006, 5:14:48 PM10/18/06
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

Then I guess I missed the pic with the wrong swing.
The pic above looks fine to me.

Sasquatch

Oct 18, 2006, 6:30:00 PM10/18/06
That's because, by the time you looked at it, I'd already fixed the
drawing. Previously it was swinging right as you enter the room. Now
it swings left, up against the window, but doesn't quite extend far
enough to run into the window.

By the way, I do all my drawings using 3D Home Architect. I scored a
nice little BitTorrent download of it, so it was free. Not adequate
for creating an entire set of plans, but perfect for communicating
floor plan ideas, arranging virtual furniture, etc.

- John

Sasquatch

Oct 18, 2006, 6:32:34 PM10/18/06
I agree. I like sliders, too. My wife doesn't, though. She says you
end up with wasted closet space in the middle where the two doors
overlap. I'm thinking you might miss 4" of closet space, which can
easily be accessed with a reach-around. (Please, this is a family
show.) What can I tell her to convince her? I think bi-folds look
cheap, and sliding doors feel more substantial.

- John

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 18, 2006, 6:45:37 PM10/18/06

Yes , Sasy posted the revision in accord with
Jojo's suggstion, this day.
Ken

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 18, 2006, 6:58:42 PM10/18/06

Sasquatch wrote:
> I agree. I like sliders, too. My wife doesn't, though. She says you
> end up with wasted closet space in the middle where the two doors
> overlap. I'm thinking you might miss 4" of closet space, which can
> easily be accessed with a reach-around. (Please, this is a family
> show.) What can I tell her to convince her? I think bi-folds look
> cheap, and sliding doors feel more substantial.
> - John

Say Sasy, [sasy]...
Off hand John, I'm part twinky and have some
affinity with the ergonometics of interior design.
Front-end, I'd buy time with curtains, instead of
wasting money on bi-folds. I even think a curtain
is as good or better than an unforgiving bi-fold,
and serves the same purpose, even better.
The bi-fold is harsh, I'd go the curtain, as it is
soft and forgiving, easier to move too.
Ken

Sasquatch

Oct 18, 2006, 7:50:18 PM10/18/06
I appreciate the curtain idea, but that would be a little too
unconventional for this house. All the doors are 4-panel white doors
with white trim with a crown moulding on top, so the closet doors need
to kind of match.

I know who will use your curtain idea, though--the same guy I know
who's building his house without door and window trim. Now if there
was only an alternative to windows... Oh, yeah! Fewer windows!
Already done. And beads instead of interior doors! See, I think "The
Man" steals our money by making us think we need things like windows,
doors, closets, etc. I'll show the man! Actually, if I can't pay for
this house, I just might be living in a tee-pee. Now *that* would be
*really* be stickin' it to "The Man."

- John

Don

Oct 18, 2006, 7:40:14 PM10/18/06
"Sasquatch"> wrote

> By the way, I do all my drawings using 3D Home Architect. I scored a
> nice little BitTorrent download of it, so it was free.

<GASP!!!>
I can't believe what I'm reading!
<OMG!!!>
A person with no regard for *intellectual property*!!!!
<WTF!!!>

Don

Oct 18, 2006, 7:46:39 PM10/18/06
"Sasquatch"> wrote

>I agree. I like sliders, too. My wife doesn't, though. She says you
> end up with wasted closet space in the middle where the two doors
> overlap. I'm thinking you might miss 4" of closet space, which can
> easily be accessed with a reach-around. (Please, this is a family
> show.) What can I tell her to convince her? I think bi-folds look
> cheap, and sliding doors feel more substantial.

The only closet doors I like are standard swing doors, like the type used
for entering a room.
BiFold and BiPass and Pocket doors have unneccesary baggage that haunts you
everyday.
Its worth the design effort to put walk-in closets in every bedroom.

Ventilated shelving is another one of my pet peeves, and I'll never use that
stuff in my own home and will certainly advise my clients to not use it as
well.
VS is too expensive, to restrictive and looks hideous.
In my last house all the storage areas, and they were considerable, had wood
shelves and the clothes closets had wood rods.
The 2 walk-ins in the master had built-ins.
Try to stand a box of Rice-a-roni up on a ventilated pantry shelf.
If you stack folded clothes on a ventilated shelf they end up looking like
big corduroy.

Don

Oct 18, 2006, 7:48:48 PM10/18/06
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

> I even think a curtain
> is as good or better than an unforgiving bi-fold,
> and serves the same purpose, even better.

OK, I gotta ask: Whats the *purpose* of a curtain on a closet?

JD

Oct 18, 2006, 8:10:50 PM10/18/06

"Don" <one-if-...@concord.com> wrote in message

What's funny about that is I bought that 3DHA at Big Lots for $10. Haven't
had time to play with it but I'm hoping the 3D is easier that ACAD for those
pesky roofs.

Don

Oct 19, 2006, 12:29:36 AM10/19/06
"Sasquatch"> wrote

>I appreciate the curtain idea, but that would be a little too
> unconventional for this house. All the doors are 4-panel white doors
> with white trim with a crown moulding on top, so the closet doors need
> to kind of match.

Hold up Jackson.
You have repeatedly said that this was going to be reminiscent of an *old
farm house*.
Have you ever actually seen one, walked through one?
Curtained closets are exactly what you'll see there.

Short story, but amazing.
I do large scale custom homes, new and remodeled, on an island named Useppa.
The finished homes on Useppa START at $2mil.
A vacant lot, off water, will run $850k+.

Anyway, all the homes on Useppa have names and this one home in particular
was named Hemingway.
The interior was designed by the leading interior design firm in FL, Robb &
Stucky, in a 1940's Hemmingway style.
The owner lived there for a few years and then sold the home for $3.5 mil.
The new owner hired me to gut the whole thing and make it like what he
wanted.
No problem massah, your wish is my command.
This time around the owner wanted a Hemingway theme but from the 20's rather
than the 40's.
By the time he was done he had put another $2.5 mil into this crib for a
total of $6mil.

Now, here's the good part, back in the 20's Hemingways actual home had
curtains on all the closets AND all the kitchen cabinets.
Thats right, none of the cabinetsor closets in the entire house had doors on
them, just curtains.
This home was phenomenal.
The Hemingways were quite poor in the 20's.
The fauz finishers simulated mildew in the ceiling corners, spiderwebs and
dust on the bullyseye glass windows, cracked marble on the hearth,
splintered wood flooring, etc., etc.
The most amazing thing I saw there was a simple curtain rod over the bath
tub that held the shower curtain and the ID told me that rod cost $1100.
Now to me it looked like a junky, rusty, bent and dented piece of pipe.
But there it was none the less.
That home sold last year for $7.5mil. ..... and quite frankly I wouldn't
have paid $100k for it.
Well, for investment purposes I would, but not to live in.

jo...@vieth.info

Oct 19, 2006, 8:29:53 AM10/19/06
Sorry. A guy I know was using it, and they no longer sell what he had.
I found another similar product, but it wasn't the same. I wanted the
3D Home Architect software because it was quick and easy and I already
knew how to use it, and I knew that it could do exactly what I needed.
I'm happy to pay for intellectual property if the cost is reasonable
and the product is available in a convenient manner. If not, there's
always my old friend BitTorrent. Likewise, I don't know when the
record companies and movie companies are going to wise up. If they had
an enormous catalog of music available online (like is available via
BitTorrent) and the cost was only $0.25 track, I would never consider
BitTorrent. And if I could download a movie for $2.00 or a TV episode
for $0.25, again, BitTorrent would be unneccessary. But these
companies ignore customer satisfaction at their peril.

- John

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 19, 2006, 10:00:03 AM10/19/06

Sasquatch wrote:
> I appreciate the curtain idea, but that would be a little too
> unconventional for this house. All the doors are 4-panel white doors
> with white trim with a crown moulding on top, so the closet doors need
> to kind of match.
>
> I know who will use your curtain idea, though--the same guy I know
> who's building his house without door and window trim. Now if there
> was only an alternative to windows... Oh, yeah! Fewer windows!
> Already done. And beads instead of interior doors! See, I think "The
> Man" steals our money by making us think we need things like windows,
> doors, closets, etc. I'll show the man! Actually, if I can't pay for
> this house, I just might be living in a tee-pee. Now *that* would be
> *really* be stickin' it to "The Man."
> - John

Those bi-fold doors that have slats or something
are nice, and provide ventilation, wife's always win.

> Ken S. Tucker wrote:
> > Sasquatch wrote:
> > > I agree. I like sliders, too. My wife doesn't, though. She says you
> > > end up with wasted closet space in the middle where the two doors
> > > overlap. I'm thinking you might miss 4" of closet space, which can
> > > easily be accessed with a reach-around. (Please, this is a family
> > > show.) What can I tell her to convince her? I think bi-folds look
> > > cheap, and sliding doors feel more substantial.
> > > - John

I had a 10' closet that was curtained, I didn't like
the curtains so replaced those with sliding panels,
I didn't like the panels so I replaced them with nicer
looking curtains, and installed soft-back lighting.
The backlighting keeps the closet warmer than
the room and I figure it helps prevents condensation
and dampness too. More than likely I was too fussy.
Ken

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 19, 2006, 12:45:33 PM10/19/06

That's for my wife to hide her boyfriend when
I come home early, what does your's do?
Ken

JD

Oct 19, 2006, 1:09:26 PM10/19/06

"Ken S. Tucker" <dyna...@vianet.on.ca> wrote in message

That reminds me of a Gene Tracy joke.... "Bells"

.... "ting-a-ling m----- f-------!"

Don

Oct 19, 2006, 5:32:10 PM10/19/06
I see nothing there to argue about.
'cept, you owe me no apology.

<jo...@vieth.info> wrote in message

Don

Oct 19, 2006, 5:33:48 PM10/19/06
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

She requires that her boyfriend bring his wife, of course!

Kris Krieger

Oct 20, 2006, 4:07:24 PM10/20/06

> "Sasquatch"> wrote
>>I appreciate the curtain idea, but that would be a little too
>> unconventional for this house. All the doors are 4-panel white doors
>> with white trim with a crown moulding on top, so the closet doors
>> need to kind of match.
>
> Hold up Jackson.
> You have repeatedly said that this was going to be reminiscent of an
> *old farm house*.
> Have you ever actually seen one, walked through one?
> Curtained closets are exactly what you'll see there.

My favorite thing is pocket doors. If I were to have a custom place,
I'd ask that the design (since I like "contemporary" anyway) use pocket
doors rather than hinged doors, because the latter waste so darn much
space.

Curtains are the less expensive option of course. As with many things,
how it looks is a function of how well the job is done, and what quality
of materials are used. There are some impressive fabrics available...

> Short story, but amazing.
> I do large scale custom homes, new and remodeled, on an island named
> Useppa. The finished homes on Useppa START at $2mil.
> A vacant lot, off water, will run $850k+.
>
> Anyway, all the homes on Useppa have names and this one home in
> particular was named Hemingway.
> The interior was designed by the leading interior design firm in FL,
> Robb & Stucky, in a 1940's Hemmingway style.
> The owner lived there for a few years and then sold the home for $3.5
> mil. The new owner hired me to gut the whole thing and make it like
> what he wanted.
> No problem massah, your wish is my command.
> This time around the owner wanted a Hemingway theme but from the 20's
> rather than the 40's.
> By the time he was done he had put another $2.5 mil into this crib for
> a total of $6mil.

Wow. But I bet it was really something to see, after it was all
finished.

> Now, here's the good part, back in the 20's Hemingways actual home had
> curtains on all the closets AND all the kitchen cabinets.
> Thats right, none of the cabinetsor closets in the entire house had
> doors on them, just curtains.

Well, that makes a huge amount of sense. For one thing, if the curtains
get greasy or dirty, you can either wash them, ore easily replace them.
Washing is easier than dusting/cleaning solid doors. And prob. most
importantly, curtains allow for air circulation, which is especially
important in a humid, wet, tropical climate - without it, anything
that's in the closets and cabinets would get moldy very quickly. People
forget all of that, because they have air conditioning. But if that AC
ever goes down, well... Anyway, that's why louvered dorrs tend to be
associated with tropical styles - the louveres allowed for air
circulation, while the tilt maintained privacy when used for rooms and,
when used for closets etc., kept the place looking neater since they
also worked just as well to hide any clutter.

Curtains also can be pleasant texturally. And/or used as a focal point,
if one gets a quilt-like thing (i.e. fancy needlework) or, more
recently, gets some of the "scenic" fabrics that are printed much like
murals. You can even have your own image printed to various types of
indoor or outdoor fabric.

Fabric and louvered doors also can have a lighter or "more airy" feel
than panelled doors. It all depends upon what "look" an individual
wants.

> This home was phenomenal.
> The Hemingways were quite poor in the 20's.
> The fauz finishers simulated mildew in the ceiling corners, spiderwebs
> and dust on the bullyseye glass windows, cracked marble on the hearth,
> splintered wood flooring, etc., etc.

Now, that part is bizarre. I doubt that a housewife of the 20's thru
60's would have let all that stuff accumulate. They *did* have Clorix
back then (the smell of which I personally still associate with
"cleanliness" <G!> All of the stinks they put into everything just
smells to me like people are trying to mask the smell of filth - plus
I'm allergic to all that junk. Hence, Clorox <L!>)

> The most amazing thing I saw there was a simple curtain rod over the
> bath tub that held the shower curtain and the ID told me that rod cost
> $1100. Now to me it looked like a junky, rusty, bent and dented piece
> of pipe. But there it was none the less.
> That home sold last year for $7.5mil. ..... and quite frankly I
> wouldn't have paid $100k for it.
> Well, for investment purposes I would, but not to live in.

Living in a faux museum can get to be a bit of a drag, I'd think. I'm
not dead-set across the board against faux finishes, but faux mildew is
just too bizarre.

Kris Krieger

Oct 20, 2006, 4:13:58 PM10/20/06
"JD" <laughingarc...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

FWLIW, I didn't like it, got the latest version that was out about a
year ago. I hate the texturing job it does, the lighting isn't worth
the bother, and it isn't as easily "automatic" as the side panels would
have one believe, if one is doing something that's a bit unusual or
complex. I ended up just sticking with my 3D modeling software.
((Yeah, know - one of these days, I really *will* get some stuff re-
rendered and on-line, at least the files that my computer didn't chew up
=:-o )) If you have to do a lot fo it, as with anything else, you
develop a system that speeds things up.

Hmm, maybe I should try to sell my copy, since I don't use it <L!>

Kris Krieger

Oct 20, 2006, 4:15:03 PM10/20/06
jo...@vieth.info wrote in news:1161260993.224968.134450
@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

> Sorry. A guy I know was using it, and they no longer sell what he
had.
> I found another similar product, but it wasn't the same. I wanted
the
> 3D Home Architect software because it was quick and easy and I already
> knew how to use it, and I knew that it could do exactly what I needed.
> I'm happy to pay for intellectual property if the cost is reasonable
> and the product is available in a convenient manner. If not, there's
> always my old friend BitTorrent.

I've heard of bittorrent - but what *is* it?

Kris Krieger

Oct 20, 2006, 4:21:36 PM10/20/06
"Don" <one-if-...@concord.com> wrote in

I differ about the doors but I do agree 100% re: those dang wire
shelves.

IMO, the *easiest* thing would be, wood with laminate on the upper
surface, i.e. Formica. ((I guess it'd also have to also be on the
bottom, tho', to keep the wood from warping...??)) The reason I say
Formica, is, ease of maintenance: doesn't chip, never gets sticky/tacky
if the humidity rises, lasts a long time, smooth surface. Easy
maintenence is a major consideration for me in most things, where it's
aesthetically acceptable.

The wire hangar rails are crap, pure and simple. Wood is better, tho'
it'd be IMO nice if thre was some sort of plastic sheath that could go
over them, something like the plastic things you can put over shower-
curtain rods. The hangars would slide more easily over something like
that.

Kris Krieger

Oct 20, 2006, 4:23:54 PM10/20/06
"Ken S. Tucker" <dyna...@vianet.on.ca> wrote in

To hide the interior when you have to stuff all of your, um, er,
questionable literature and comic books and so on into the closets because
of visitors...

Don

Oct 21, 2006, 8:43:22 AM10/21/06

"Kris Krieger" <m...@dowmuff.in> wrote in message

Well actually that is what I really used, instead of raw wood.
You can purchase melamine covered particle board in 5/8" & 3/4" thicknesses
and various widths and lengths at Lowes, HD, etc.
I put 1x4 melamine ledgers on the walls and then put the melamine shelving
material on top of the ledgers.
A little more work than the VSing but so much nicer.

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 21, 2006, 11:35:10 AM10/21/06

Had a walk-in closet with a swing door, it smelled.
I guess it was the dry cleaning fluid from my suits,
and the shoe-polish. Not sure how to vent a closed
closet, maybe slatted doors.
Ken

Don

Oct 21, 2006, 12:45:29 PM10/21/06

"Ken S. Tucker" <dyna...@vianet.on.ca> wrote in message

I had 4x6 ac vents in ours and the doors were undercut (we had maple
laminate floors).
My wife put some cedar balls in an abrasive bag and hung it on the backs of
the doors so that everytime they opened the balls would be aggravated into
getting up off some of that scent.

They also make a small vent (6x8) that can be installed in the wall above
the doors in non-load bearing walls.
Those are now required in all sleeping rooms in SW FL.

Sasquatch

Oct 21, 2006, 8:04:03 PM10/21/06
Kris Krieger wrote:
> I've heard of bittorrent - but what *is* it?

Go to Wikipedia.org and search for BitTorrent. My favorite BitTorrent
client software is uTorrent. Not all content on the BitTorrent
network(s) is illegal, too, by the way.

- John

Warm Worm

Oct 22, 2006, 3:39:24 AM10/22/06

"Kris Krieger"
> jo...@vieth.info
> I've heard of bittorrent - but what *is* it?

It's cool, free, libre and open source.

RicodJour

Oct 22, 2006, 9:55:43 AM10/22/06
Don wrote:

> My wife put some cedar balls in an abrasive bag and hung it on the backs of
> the doors so that everytime they opened the balls would be aggravated into
> getting up off some of that scent.

I'm not surprised that your wife has your balls hanging in the closet
and that they're pissed off about it. ;)

gruhn

Oct 23, 2006, 12:21:41 AM10/23/06
Working at the office, I got to see a lot of laminates and rubber
floors and general workaday materials. Fairly impressed with what's
available these days. Probably should have paid more attention to
costs. But there were some darned nice looking, even fun things going
on in laminates. And some hideous stuff but that's all relative. What
you saying 'bout my cousin? Me, I'm all for Corian (yeah, by brand, the
others just don't seem to look as nice) and concrete for the kitchen
counter.

Warm Worm

Oct 23, 2006, 2:15:11 AM10/23/06
"gruhn"

> Me, I'm all for Corian (yeah, by brand, the
> others just don't seem to look as nice) and concrete for the kitchen
> counter.

I'm with you there too I think... What do you think about terrazzo-type
floorings or stainless-steel kitchen counters that bend up to form a
backsplash?
Then again, how about kitchen islands away from the walls?

Kris Krieger

Oct 23, 2006, 12:26:17 PM10/23/06
"Ken S. Tucker" <dyna...@vianet.on.ca> wrote in

I don't think the gaps under the usual doors is enough. Slats don't go
with everyone's decor...

I know what you mean, tho'. Boots, leather jackets/coats, sneakers, and
so on - it can build up. And those "air fresheners" only add to the
olfactory soup :p

There are prob. various ways to use some sort of spacing etc. in the
door structure that'd still allow the look of a panel door - I'm
mantally picturing a few ideas while typing, but I'd have to do them up
in 3D before I'd have a real sense of what they might look like. Of
course, they'd probably cost "too much".

OTOH, if one's decor is less "traditional", venting could be decorative,
but again, I'd have to model it and render it, becasue it'd be much
faster for me and much less painful for any readers, than me trying to
describe what I'm picturing <g!>

Kris Krieger

Oct 23, 2006, 12:47:15 PM10/23/06
"Sasquatch" <linu...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1161475443.672030.60750
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Kris Krieger wrote:
>> I've heard of bittorrent - but what *is* it?
>
> Go to Wikipedia.org and search for BitTorrent. My favorite BitTorrent
> client software is uTorrent. Not all content on the BitTorrent
> network(s) is illegal, too, by the way.
>
> - John

Hmmm, it says:
"BitTorrent greatly reduces the load on seeders, because clients
generally download the file from each other."

So does that mean other people can access your computer...? If so, they
can keep it...

Legality - eh, whatever, that whole argument gets very goofy very
quickly anyway. Back when I was living in Vancouver BC, a tax/charge
was put onto *EVERY* blank CD purchased to "make up for" the money lost
by McMegaMusic companies on royalties. I only ever used CDs to back up
my own files, so that bit of socialist absurdity was very annoying.
ALso, no matter what one mentions, be it a product, a procedure, even an
idea, the fact is that human nautre is what it is - IOW, some, and maybe
most, people will stay with the inteneded beneficial purpose, but some
people will insist upon using it for illegal or legal-yet-still-
nefarious purposes. Aside from never putting out a product, procedure,
etc., there is no what whatsoever to completely stop anything from a
potential illegal and/or harmful use.

So the IMO there is no need to justify file-sharing by saying "not all
the files are illegal". My problem is the thought that other people
could get into *my* computer and wreak having either witing it, or
through it...

Kris Krieger

Oct 23, 2006, 12:51:36 PM10/23/06
"Don" <one-if-...@concord.com> wrote in

Sounds good.

Melamine, that was the word I was trying to recall. ((Nobody would ever
title my biography "Total Recall" =:-o ))

You can also get melamine paint.

One thing I wonder about is, why melamine or even enamel paint isn't used
on shelving, trim, and any/all other high-use surfaces. I guess latex is
just cheaper. Or maybe people think that Melamine or enamel would look
"cheap" or something...? Personally, in at least certain instances, I like
the look of enamel, esp. when contrasted with matte surfaces. But for any
high-use areas, it seems like it'd make so much sense - the latex gets too
easily dinged, and IMO, gloss is gloss - if the shelving, trims, etc. are
going to be painted with high-gloss latex anyway, enamel would IMO just
look better - and for longer!

Ken S. Tucker

Oct 23, 2006, 12:56:12 PM10/23/06

Benzene's (new car smell) may contribute to
Leukemia, ((granddaugher caught that in June,
but the chemo is working well and she's doing
excellently, she's a super-trooper :-)).

> There are prob. various ways to use some sort of spacing etc. in the
> door structure that'd still allow the look of a panel door - I'm
> mantally picturing a few ideas while typing, but I'd have to do them up
> in 3D before I'd have a real sense of what they might look like. Of
> course, they'd probably cost "too much".
>
> OTOH, if one's decor is less "traditional", venting could be decorative,
> but again, I'd have to model it and render it, becasue it'd be much
> faster for me and much less painful for any readers, than me trying to
> describe what I'm picturing <g!>

The best theory I have is to put a cental air input
into it to force some ventilation. The closet I refer to
was a little warm because it had no exterior walls,
but having an upper vent and a lower door vent would
bleed the warm air out of the closet by convective
circulation.
Ken

jojo

Oct 23, 2006, 1:01:48 PM10/23/06

> "Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

>> Don wrote:
>>> "Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

>>> That door currently swings up against a small wall that is useless for
>>> furniture as it is in the path of the walkway.
>>> If the door swing is reversed it will take up more space in an otherwise
>>> small room and cause issues with furniture placement.
>>> Unless Jojo is talking about swinging the door out into the hallway
>>> which is
>>> totally unacceptable.
>>> As it is is the most efficient way of doing it.
>>
>> As I understand the thread, Jojo suggested a
>> door opening revision that became this...
>>
>> http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/images/SecondStoryFix.gif
>>
>> that Sasy subsequently posted, looks good
>> to me too for the reasons you specified.
>
> Then I guess I missed the pic with the wrong swing.
> The pic above looks fine to me.

Yeah...I did not think the reference the swing I was talking about...it's
cool now.
jojo

Kris Krieger

Oct 23, 2006, 2:44:05 PM10/23/06
"gruhn" <gr...@rararchitects.com> wrote in news:1161577301.688924.8180
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I like the laminate panels as art/hobby surfaces. They can be put onto a
light board with a treated back, and be taken up and put away when you're
not using the surface are tough and cleanable (you can get paint splatters
off and then have a smooth surface for drawing), yet at the same time,
inexpensive enough so that one can have one surface for modeling clay and
concrete, another surface for painting, a third for drawing, and so on.

Frankly, I'm toying with the idea of possibly using laminate (if I can find
a suitable color/patter) for at least part of the bathroom wall, as a sort
of wainscotting. Still have a slew of other things to do first, but it's a
thought ;)

jo...@vieth.info

Oct 25, 2006, 9:10:47 AM10/25/06

Kris Krieger wrote:
> Hmmm, it says:
> "BitTorrent greatly reduces the load on seeders, because clients
> generally download the file from each other."
>
> So does that mean other people can access your computer...? If so, they
> can keep it...

Yeah, other users can access your files, but only in the one folder
that you designate. And as soon as I'm done downloading a file(s), I
remove everything from that folder so it's always empty, and I shut
down the BitTorrent client. So people can only download from me
whatever it is I'm in the process of downloading, and only for a very
short time until I remove it and shut down my client. BitTorrent is
built on the premise of sharing, hence the access to this shared
directory. They're trying to distribute the sharing as broadly as
possible--that's by design. There's absolutely *no* practical way that
anyone can access your system beyond your shared folder, assuming
you're using a reputable BitTorrent client.

It's reasonably safe.

- John

Kris Krieger

Oct 25, 2006, 3:46:40 PM10/25/06
jo...@vieth.info wrote in news:1161781847.150062.13050
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Kris Krieger wrote:
>> Hmmm, it says:
>> "BitTorrent greatly reduces the load on seeders, because clients
>> generally download the file from each other."
>>
>> So does that mean other people can access your computer...? If so,
they
>> can keep it...
>
> Yeah, other users can access your files, but only in the one folder
> that you designate.

Until someone hacks into the other directories..?

It sounds OK in principle, but I don't trust anything that allows access
to my computer, and avoid that as much as posible. Guess I'll pass on
the free files.

Thanks for the explanation, tho', since I didn't know what it was. You
also helped me make up my mind ;)

Don

Oct 25, 2006, 3:30:29 PM10/25/06

> Kris Krieger wrote:
>> Hmmm, it says:
>> "BitTorrent greatly reduces the load on seeders, because clients
>> generally download the file from each other."
>>
>> So does that mean other people can access your computer...? If so, they
>> can keep it...
>
> Yeah, other users can access your files, but only in the one folder
> that you designate. And as soon as I'm done downloading a file(s), I
> remove everything from that folder so it's always empty, and I shut
> down the BitTorrent client. So people can only download from me
> whatever it is I'm in the process of downloading, and only for a very
> short time until I remove it and shut down my client. BitTorrent is
> built on the premise of sharing, hence the access to this shared
> directory. They're trying to distribute the sharing as broadly as
> possible--that's by design. There's absolutely *no* practical way that
> anyone can access your system beyond your shared folder, assuming
> you're using a reputable BitTorrent client.

Do you know what an *open port* on your machine means?
If you allow files to enter your machine, you have an open port.
Open ports allow duplex traffic, that is, stuff flows both ways.
Try this:
Try to use bit torrent with Norton running and see what happens.
The thing that makes bit torrent risky is that its happening in real time
and there is no way to stop an evil deed.
Downloading files from a newsgroup, which is my preferred method, deals with
static files.
If you play with BT long enough you will get burned, bad.