Busted!

AlleyCat

Jul 19, 2007, 11:09:32 PM7/19/07
I recently received a letter from my ISP saying I was "caught" seeding a
movie file. That goes against their terms, so I was told I might be
dropped if I continued to upload copyrighted material. Can anyone tell
me how I can keep this from happening? I downloaded an IP hider, but it
doesn't seem to work. I researched trying to stop uTorrent from seeding
and couldn't find a good answer. I downloaded a dat file to put in the
%appdat% folder(ipfilter.dat), but I'm not totally satisfied that
that will keep MPAA off my back. Any help will be most appreciated. I
use Gnutella and can keep files from being uploaded, but I get "fake"
files from time to time. Thanks

Al

Hop-Frog

Jul 20, 2007, 2:01:37 AM7/20/07
AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote in

> I recently received a letter from my ISP saying I was "caught" seeding
> a movie file. That goes against their terms, so I was told I might be
> dropped if I continued to upload copyrighted material. Can anyone tell
> me how I can keep this from happening?

Yes: stop uploading copyrighted material.

But I seriously doubt that's going to happen. So for right now, what
you need to do is stop and remove the torrent from your client. Delete
the file (no, really. You got caught this time; it's only fair you
delete it!), then write to your ISP saying that you have done all this.
That will likely be the end of the matter.

Then download and install PeerGuardian, which will block anti-P2P groups
from contacting your computer in the future. If they can't contact your
computer, they can't confirm you're distributing their property, and in
all likelihood they'll move on to easier targets.

It is also advisable to avoid any content owned by the same parties for
a while. If two different copyright holders catch you with their
material, neither is especially likely to press the matter. If the same
owner catches you twice, the odds of repercussions go up.

> I researched trying to stop uTorrent from seeding
> and couldn't find a good answer.

You cannot use a BT client and *not* upload data. BitTorrent isn't
designed that way.

--
I am simply Hop-Frog, the jester--and this is my last jest.

Sean Black

Jul 20, 2007, 3:57:37 AM7/20/07
In message <Xns9973AA62C44...@216.151.153.34>, Hop-Frog
<Hop-...@asu.edu.spamfree> writes

>AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote in
>
>> I recently received a letter from my ISP saying I was "caught" seeding
>> a movie file. That goes against their terms, so I was told I might be
>> dropped if I continued to upload copyrighted material. Can anyone tell
>> me how I can keep this from happening?
>
>Yes: stop uploading copyrighted material.
>
>But I seriously doubt that's going to happen. So for right now, what
>you need to do is stop and remove the torrent from your client. Delete
>the file (no, really. You got caught this time; it's only fair you
>delete it!), then write to your ISP saying that you have done all this.
>That will likely be the end of the matter.

That's pretty much all I did when I got an email from my ISP for
downloading/seeding a Studio 60 episode (wouldn't you think they'd have
been glad of the extra viewer :-) ).

Deleted the episode in question and emailed my ISP telling them I'd done
so and promised to be a good boy in future and never do it again, which
I haven't, obviously ;-)

>Then download and install PeerGuardian, which will block anti-P2P groups
>from contacting your computer in the future. If they can't contact your
>computer, they can't confirm you're distributing their property, and in
>all likelihood they'll move on to easier targets.

Did this too, installed PeerGuardian, which theoretically would stop me
getting caught again, if I were to download/seed stuff in future, which
I don't anymore....honest.

>It is also advisable to avoid any content owned by the same parties for
>a while. If two different copyright holders catch you with their
>material, neither is especially likely to press the matter. If the same
>owner catches you twice, the odds of repercussions go up.

Not that I do any torrenting anymore anyway, but I lost all interest in
Studio 60 after getting caught, so they lost a viewer and potential DVD
buyer, so would they have been better just turning a blind eye to it?

--
Sean Black

Citizen Bob

Jul 20, 2007, 7:59:51 AM7/20/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:09:32 -0500, AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote:

>I recently received a letter from my ISP

Which ISP?

What location?

--

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
--Benjamin Franklin

"Reb" Ruster

Jul 20, 2007, 12:18:44 PM7/20/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:59:51 GMT, sp...@uce.gov (Citizen Bob) wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:09:32 -0500, AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently received a letter from my ISP
>
>Which ISP?
>
>What location?

Comcast, according to his header, which is trouble from the get-go.

Citizen Bob

Jul 20, 2007, 12:54:24 PM7/20/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:18:44 -0400, "\"Reb\" Ruster"
<rebr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>I recently received a letter from my ISP

>>Which ISP?

>>What location?

>Comcast, according to his header, which is trouble from the get-go.

Comcast does not use its own NNTP server - it used Giganews.

One thing that ISPs do not like is hogging precious upload bandwidth,
esepcially for distributing free content to the world. That's why a
plugin for Azureus that limits upload speeds to acceptable levels is
critical for keeping ISPs from jumping your shit.

Get your download and get off. Let the people in the rest of the world
seed torrents. You made your contribution while you were downloading.

Marianne

Jul 20, 2007, 2:32:57 PM7/20/07
"AlleyCat" <a...@aohell.com> schreef in bericht

I got that tooooo... but in Holland the ISP's only send youn an email and do
nothing

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

kim

Jul 20, 2007, 3:55:04 PM7/20/07
"AlleyCat" <a...@aohell.com> wrote in message

>I recently received a letter from my ISP saying I was "caught" seeding a
> movie file. That goes against their terms, so I was told I might be
> dropped if I continued to upload copyrighted material. Can anyone tell
> me how I can keep this from happening? I downloaded an IP hider, but it
> doesn't seem to work. I researched trying to stop uTorrent from seeding
> and couldn't find a good answer. I downloaded a dat file to put in the
> %appdat% folder(ipfilter.dat), but I'm not totally satisfied that
> that will keep MPAA off my back.

I'm not convinced it was anything to do with the MPAA. If it had been you
would have heard from them direct in no uncertain manner! Sounds to me as if
your ISP simply objects to the amount of traffic you're generating and this
is just an excuse to dissuade you from filesharing. Did they actually name
the copyright file you are supposed to have seeded?

(kim)

Hop-Frog

Jul 20, 2007, 4:22:49 PM7/20/07
"kim" <ntsc...@aol.com> wrote in
> I'm not convinced it was anything to do with the MPAA. If it had been
> you would have heard from them direct in no uncertain manner!

DMCA complaints usually arrive via the ISP, at least in the US. You'll
probably only get a letter directly from the MPAA if they plan to actually
sue you.

Hop-Frog

Jul 20, 2007, 5:32:30 PM7/20/07
"Hop-Frog" <Hop-...@asu.edu.spamfree> wrote in
> DMCA complaints usually arrive via the ISP, at least in the US.

I just realized how absurd that statement is. DMCA complaints don't really
exist outside the US, because it's a US law. But you should get the idea:
most of the time, the complaints seem go to the ISP first.

AlleyCat

Jul 20, 2007, 5:53:09 PM7/20/07
In article <46a0e7df....@newsgroups.comcast.net>, sp...@uce.gov
says...

> >>Which ISP?
>
> >>What location?
>
> >Comcast, according to his header, which is trouble from the get-go.
>
> Comcast does not use its own NNTP server - it used Giganews.
>
> One thing that ISPs do not like is hogging precious upload bandwidth,
> esepcially for distributing free content to the world. That's why a
> plugin for Azureus that limits upload speeds to acceptable levels is
> critical for keeping ISPs from jumping your shit.
>
> Get your download and get off. Let the people in the rest of the world
> seed torrents. You made your contribution while you were downloading.

That's what I normally do, but I let it seed probably because I was
either at work or downloading at night and didn't have the chance to
stop and delete the torrent.
This originated from MPAA (Motion Picture Assoc. of America). They
contacted my ISP and my ISP contacted me. This was not about upload
bandwidth. Thanks.

Al

AlleyCat

Jul 20, 2007, 6:03:19 PM7/20/07
In article <hZmdnTN4Us0...@giganews.com>, ntsc...@aol.com
says...

Yes.

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number: NA0000003746612
Report Date/Time: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 03:05:41 -0700

Dear High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

We have received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized
agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted
works made on or over our High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service').
The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address
associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the
infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its
notification are listed below. We remind you that use of the Service
(or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an
infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of our Acceptable
Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your
Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to
us in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

******* Legal Response Center
******* Cable Communications, LLC

For more information regarding ******* copyright infringement policy,
procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use
Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at

Sincerely,
******* Legal Response Center

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed
infringement:

Evidentiary Information:

Notice ID: 25407101
Recent Infringement Timestamp: 13 Jul 2007 03:23:29 GMT
Infringed Work: Next
Infringing FileName: Next[2007]DvDrip.AC3[Eng]-aXXo
Infringing FileSize: 733864429
Protocol: BitTorrent
Infringing URL: http://tv.tracker.thepiratebay.org:80/announce
Infringers IP Address: 76.107.162.107
Infringer's DNS Name: c-76-107-162-107.hsd1.ms.comcast.net
Infringer's User Name:
Initial Infringement Timestamp: 13 Jul 2007 03:23:29 GMT

On the Road to Damascus

Jul 20, 2007, 7:48:15 PM7/20/07
On 20 Jul 2007 06:01:37 GMT, "Hop-Frog" <Hop-...@asu.edu.spamfree>
wrote:

>> I researched trying to stop uTorrent from seeding
>> and couldn't find a good answer.
>
>You cannot use a BT client and *not* upload data. BitTorrent isn't
>designed that way.

You can limit upload speed to barely enough to cover the overhead your
client needs to request data. Not nice though, but I did this on a
torrent I was very paranoid about...and there were 100's of seeders so
no harm done. On a 300MB file I ended up "sharing" about 300kbs...I
doubt I ended up uploading any actual data.

Usually I just stay away from anything "hot", and of course I use PG.

Sid Elbow

Jul 20, 2007, 7:50:13 PM7/20/07
Hop-Frog wrote:
> "Hop-Frog" <Hop-...@asu.edu.spamfree> wrote in
>> DMCA complaints usually arrive via the ISP, at least in the US.
>
> I just realized how absurd that statement is. DMCA complaints don't really
> exist outside the US, because it's a US law.

Not absurd actually .... it happens believe me. Then again, DVD's in
Canada, for example, have the FBI warning/threat too.

Brian Henderson

Jul 20, 2007, 8:22:21 PM7/20/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:09:32 -0500, AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how I can keep this from happening?

Yes, STOP DOING IT!

Sheesh, it can't be that hard, can it?

So long as you continue to violate their AUP, you are at risk, period.
If you don't like it, find an ISP that doesn't care what you do.

MartinS

Jul 20, 2007, 10:09:34 PM7/20/07
Sid Elbow <mevag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hop-Frog wrote:
>> "Hop-Frog" <Hop-...@asu.edu.spamfree> wrote:
>>> DMCA complaints usually arrive via the ISP, at least in the US.
>>
>> I just realized how absurd that statement is. DMCA complaints don't
>> really exist outside the US, because it's a US law.
>
> Not absurd actually .... it happens believe me. Then again, DVD's in
> Canada, for example, have the FBI warning/threat too.

RIAA/MPAA/FBI, as far as I know, have no jurisdiction outside the USA.

I am not aware of anyone being successfully prosecuted in Canada for
filesharing. Charges *have* been laid for selling bootleg CDs & DVDs,
usually after several warnings and cease & desist orders.

In 2004, the Canadian Federal Court ruled that the CRIA (Canadian
counterpart of the RIAA) could not require ISPs to reveal the identities
of specific customers who had been flagged for large-scale uploading and
filesharing of music files. This was upheld on appeal in 2005.

My Canadian ISP has stated that, if it receives a copyright complaint
originating in the US, it will forward it to the account holder but will
not take any further action. Its main concern is excessive uploading.

--
Martin S.

Swampfox

Jul 20, 2007, 10:48:40 PM7/20/07

"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message

In Australia it seems that anything goes.
I'm with the second largest ISP in the country and the
only problem I've had is when they hassled me for
uploading too much.
I now stick to uploading 1Gb per day which they said
was acceptable.
The person on the phone told me to stop using P2P, at
which point I laughed and told him that if everyone
stopped using P2P then we'd all go on 2Gb per month
plans which would cost the ISP a fortune.
That was about two years ago and I haven't heard from
them since.

AlleyCat

Jul 20, 2007, 11:39:37 PM7/20/07
In article <Xns9973AA62C44...@216.151.153.34>, Hop-
Fr...@asu.edu.spamfree says...

> You cannot use a BT client and *not* upload data. BitTorrent isn't
> designed that way.

Any Torrent clients that are? Thanks.

Al

Hop-Frog

Jul 20, 2007, 11:47:05 PM7/20/07
AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote in news:MPG.210b3bf54a31494c989924
@newsgroups.comcast.net:

I've heard of several, but I won't tell you what they are. I was referring
to the BitTorrent *protocol* above. BT with any client will barely work at
all if you don't upload, and the whole system will collapse if people try.

kim

Jul 21, 2007, 7:29:18 AM7/21/07
"Swampfox" <noidea@whocaresanyway> wrote in message

That wouldn't work in England since the biggest ISP charges the same for a
1GB per month connection as the smaller ones do for (supposedly) unlimited
pans.

(kim)

kim

Jul 21, 2007, 7:32:35 AM7/21/07
"Sid Elbow" <mevag...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yeah, I've seen FBI warnings on retail DVD's sold in Europe and the Far
East! Mind you it's only a matter of time before copyright infringers are
routinely deported to the USA to face trial. It has already happened once.

(kim)

Sid Elbow

Jul 21, 2007, 10:38:58 AM7/21/07
MartinS wrote:
> Sid Elbow <mevag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hop-Frog wrote:
>>> I just realized how absurd that statement is. DMCA complaints don't
>>> really exist outside the US, because it's a US law.
>> Not absurd actually .... it happens believe me. Then again, DVD's in
>> Canada, for example, have the FBI warning/threat too.
>
> RIAA/MPAA/FBI, as far as I know, have no jurisdiction outside the USA.
>
> I am not aware of anyone being successfully prosecuted in Canada for
> filesharing.

I wasn't talking about prosecutions Martin. The statement was that DCMA
*complaints* don't exist outside the US.

They may not have jurisdiction outside the US but they certainly do fire
off complaint notices to Canadian isp's who (in at least some cases)
pass them along to their clients with warnings (or perhaps worse).

Brian Henderson

Jul 22, 2007, 11:23:01 AM7/22/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:39:37 -0500, AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote:

>Any Torrent clients that are? Thanks.

Not BitTorrent clients, no. You can go do direct downloads, go to
IRC, get off of Usenet, but otherwise, you're expected to share and
you can't get around doing it.

Why don't you.... *GASP* just go BUY whatever you're downloading if
you're so scared of being caught?

Dustin Cook

Aug 21, 2007, 6:53:43 PM8/21/07
Sean Black <se...@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> In message <Xns9973AA62C44...@216.151.153.34>, Hop-Frog
> <Hop-...@asu.edu.spamfree> writes
>>AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I recently received a letter from my ISP saying I was "caught"
>>> seeding a movie file. That goes against their terms, so I was told I
>>> might be dropped if I continued to upload copyrighted material. Can
>>> anyone tell me how I can keep this from happening?
>>
>>Yes: stop uploading copyrighted material.
>>
>>But I seriously doubt that's going to happen. So for right now, what
>>you need to do is stop and remove the torrent from your client.
>>Delete the file (no, really. You got caught this time; it's only fair
>>you delete it!), then write to your ISP saying that you have done all
>>this. That will likely be the end of the matter.
>>
> That's pretty much all I did when I got an email from my ISP for
> downloading/seeding a Studio 60 episode (wouldn't you think they'd
> have been glad of the extra viewer :-) ).

You would think so, but they consider it stealing. :(

> Not that I do any torrenting anymore anyway, but I lost all interest
> in Studio 60 after getting caught, so they lost a viewer and potential
> DVD buyer, so would they have been better just turning a blind eye to
> it?

Seems so, yes. They've lost a potential customer of future episodes
purchased via DVD instead of downloaded.

--
Dustin Cook
Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool - v2.2c

Dustin Cook

Aug 21, 2007, 6:55:25 PM8/21/07
sp...@uce.gov (Citizen Bob) wrote in news:46a0e7df.972813609
@newsgroups.comcast.net:

> Get your download and get off. Let the people in the rest of the world
> seed torrents. You made your contribution while you were downloading.

I'm glad not everyone thinks like this, torrents wouldn't have much of a
life span if people did as you suggest.

PumpkinEscobar

Aug 25, 2007, 7:44:08 AM8/25/07
In article <Xns9993C112EC5...@69.28.186.121>,
Dustin Cook <spamfilterine...@nowhere.com> wrote:

Were any of you using Transport Encrypton while up/downloading?

YeahYeah

Aug 25, 2007, 6:38:27 PM8/25/07

"PumpkinEscobar" <pesc...@nospam.net> wrote in message
>Mc FLY

Dustin Cook

Sep 6, 2007, 2:58:57 PM9/6/07
PumpkinEscobar <pesc...@nospam.net> wrote in news:pescobar-
6CDFEA.074...@newsgroups.comcast.net:

I've never been busted myself, but I do tend to use encryption when
torrenting if I can get enough people to support it.

--
Dustin Cook, Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool - v2.2d
Email.: bughunte...@gmail.com
PGP...: http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bughunter.dustin.txt