Solar Realms Elite

Barry Bogart

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
to All

The Sanatorium! is now having a Solar Realms Elite Contest!
If you are an avid fan of one of the 1st Door Games to enter
the BBS world, then consider testing yourself against others
who are also SRE Fans! Points are awarded after each game and
when a player reaches 50 points, they are added to the
Solar Realms Elite "Hall of Fame!"
There's no prizes but just having your name in the
Hall Of Fame is just as great! Especially when everybody
sees it after exiting SRE!

For the current Hall Of Fame & SRE Players List goto:

http://www.servtech.com/~barry/bbs.htm

To join us, simply telnet://204.181.7.230
New Game started 1/1/1999.
---
* Origin: Telegard & Os/2 (1:260/432)
SEEN-BY: 260/432

Amit Patel

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Barry Bogart <ba...@servtech.com> wrote:

| The Sanatorium! is now having a Solar Realms Elite Contest!
| If you are an avid fan of one of the 1st Door Games to enter
| the BBS world, then consider testing yourself against others
| who are also SRE Fans! Points are awarded after each game and
| when a player reaches 50 points, they are added to the
| Solar Realms Elite "Hall of Fame!"
| There's no prizes but just having your name in the
| Hall Of Fame is just as great! Especially when everybody
| sees it after exiting SRE!

You forgot to mention: you get to play against the author! :-)

- Amit

stone...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
In article <77g37d$ft4$1...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>,

Im not sure about SRE, but I know that its cousins cant be joined after dec,31
1999. John Dailey now has control of those games and is supposed to be fixing
that... is there any chance that SRE can be fixed as well (If it has the same
problem that is :)

stoneg...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
In article <77j6u4$i8s$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

stone...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <77g37d$ft4$1...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>,
> am...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Amit Patel) wrote:
> > Barry Bogart <ba...@servtech.com> wrote:
> > |
> > | The Sanatorium! is now having a Solar Realms Elite Contest!
> > | If you are an avid fan of one of the 1st Door Games to enter
> > | the BBS world, then consider testing yourself against others
> > | who are also SRE Fans! Points are awarded after each game and
> > | when a player reaches 50 points, they are added to the
> > | Solar Realms Elite "Hall of Fame!"
> > | There's no prizes but just having your name in the
> > | Hall Of Fame is just as great! Especially when everybody
> > | sees it after exiting SRE!
> > |

> > You forgot to mention: you get to play against the author! :-)
> >
> > - Amit
>
> Im not sure about SRE, but I know that its cousins cant be joined after dec,31
> 1999. John Dailey now has control of those games and is supposed to be fixing
> that... is there any chance that SRE can be fixed as well (If it has the same
> problem that is :)

Nobody's heard from John Dailey in months. Are you certain that he is still
working on those updates?

-Regards,
Darryl Perry

Gryphon's : Online Games..........InterBBS league GuildeNet 88
Eyrie : Paranormal Topics.....Ghost Hunting and Hauntings
BBS : Sysop Interests.......Visiting Sysops Welcome
: Telnet................eyriebbs.dynip.com

Doug Bora

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
: Nobody's heard from John Dailey in months. Are you certain that he is still
: working on those updates?

What makes you say that? From John Dailey's web page:

January 13, 1999
Falcon's Eye v1.06 Now Available!
Yup, you heard right, Falcon's Eye v1.06 is now available for download
from the Falcon's Eye product information pages.

--
Doug Bora
stig...@abend.com

Amit Patel

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
<stone...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

| Im not sure about SRE, but I know that its cousins cant be joined
| after dec,31 1999. John Dailey now has control of those games
| and is supposed to be fixing
| that... is there any chance that SRE can be fixed as well (If it has the same
| problem that is :)

Interesting.

I don't know if SRE has the same problem. I should test it at some
point but haven't done that yet. The ftp sites I've found have 0.992
and not 0.994/0.995! :(

SRE is written in C++, while BRE/FE/TAL/etc. are written in Pascal, so
there isn't much relation between the other games having Y2k problems
and SRE having Y2k problems. I'm not saying that SRE doesn't have
them; I'm just saying that SRE shares no code with the other games.

I would like to say SRE will work after 2000, but I am not completely
sure. (I think I used Unix-style dates, which work until 2038.) The
most likely thing to break is the tournament mode, which requires you
to enter a starting and ending date. I can't remember if the date
input routines allow four digit dates. :(

Unfortunately I no longer have the source code, and I don't know of
anyone who does. So if there is a problem, I can't really fix it. :(
I can only hope that someone clones SRE soon :)

(If I still had the code, I think I'd probably release it as "open
source".)

- Amit

Doug Bora

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
: Unfortunately I no longer have the source code, and I don't know of

: anyone who does. So if there is a problem, I can't really fix it. :(
: I can only hope that someone clones SRE soon :)

How'd you manage to lose the source? Bad! <thwack> :-)

: (If I still had the code, I think I'd probably release it as "open
: source".)

Why don't you give everyone official permission to clone the game?
Perhaps someone would if they were positive there were no copyright
issues. Even better, assuming you can find someone competant, give them
the right to use the SRE name and everything. Hell, I'd consider working
on it if I was sure I wouldn't get into legal trouble. :-)

--
Doug Bora
stig...@abend.com

Amit Patel

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
Doug Bora <stig...@enteract.com> wrote:
| : Unfortunately I no longer have the source code, and I don't know of
| : anyone who does. So if there is a problem, I can't really fix it. :(
| : I can only hope that someone clones SRE soon :)
|
| How'd you manage to lose the source? Bad! <thwack> :-)

Yeah, I know, bad. It's on some floppies somewhere, but I think I
lost them during one of several moves. It's on a hard disk somewhere,
but that disk is melted down. :P (I hadn't worked on it for a few
years, so I wasn't making new backups.)

| : (If I still had the code, I think I'd probably release it as "open
| : source".)
|
| Why don't you give everyone official permission to clone the game?
| Perhaps someone would if they were positive there were no copyright
| issues. Even better, assuming you can find someone competant, give them
| the right to use the SRE name and everything. Hell, I'd consider working
| on it if I was sure I wouldn't get into legal trouble. :-)

The basic game style is older than SRE, so there should be no problem
creating a game in the same style. I've encouraged everyone who's
approached me about making an SRE-like game. (I think there are at
least eight groups who are or were working on one.) I've tried
helping them by answering questions and explaining some of the design,
but I don't have any code to give them. If you want to work on
something similar, feel free! I think it'd be better if it wasn't a
straight clone but instead an improvement, because there were several
silly things in there that could be improved a lot. :-) Also, these
days maybe a telnet or web version would be nice.

Copyright covers the text in the game, but when you're writing a
clone, it's very easy to write the text yourself, and then there's no
problem. Copyright doesn't cover the game style AFAIK.

There were also a few clones back when I was still working on SRE, so
maybe someone can find some of those developers. (Unfortunately I
can't remember the names of those games!)

- Amit

Jimmy Rose

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
stoneg...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<77l80i$93d$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> > Im not sure about SRE, but I know that its cousins cant be joined after
dec,31
> > 1999. John Dailey now has control of those games and is supposed to be
fixing
> > that... is there any chance that SRE can be fixed as well (If it has
the same
> > problem that is :)
>
> Nobody's heard from John Dailey in months. Are you certain that he is
still
> working on those updates?

He just released a new version of Falcon's Eye! So he's still working on
them.

jr...@one.net

stoneg...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
In article <77leov$cbb$1...@eve.enteract.com>,
Doug Bora <stig...@enteract.com> wrote:
> : Nobody's heard from John Dailey in months. Are you certain that he is still
> : working on those updates?
>

> What makes you say that? From John Dailey's web page:
>
> January 13, 1999
> Falcon's Eye v1.06 Now Available!
> Yup, you heard right, Falcon's Eye v1.06 is now available for download
> from the Falcon's Eye product information pages.

How's that for timing, eh? Nobody hears from John in months, and then he
updates his website less than 24 hours before I made my statement.

stoneg...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
In article <77lmp9$jih$1...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>,
am...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Amit Patel) wrote:
> Doug Bora <stig...@enteract.com> wrote:

> Copyright covers the text in the game, but when you're writing a
> clone, it's very easy to write the text yourself, and then there's no
> problem. Copyright doesn't cover the game style AFAIK.
>
> There were also a few clones back when I was still working on SRE, so
> maybe someone can find some of those developers. (Unfortunately I
> can't remember the names of those games!)
>
> - Amit

Hollie Satterfield <sp> had (has) a game called Space Dynasty that works on
all dropfile type BBS systems, but the network play works only on WWIV
systems. I'm sure I have a copy in my file listings that I could upload to
some website someplace. If Hollie is listening, maybe he can pipe in
himself.

I don't know, however if Space Dynasty is Y2K compliant, as it predates SRE (I
think).

Doug Bora

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
: How's that for timing, eh? Nobody hears from John in months, and then he

: updates his website less than 24 hours before I made my statement.

Maybe he has it in for you? Maybe it's a big plot by John Dailey just to
discredit you! Oh no! :-)

--
Doug Bora
stig...@abend.com

Daryl Hunt

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Then stop making statements without all the available information.

stoneg...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <77leov$cbb$1...@eve.enteract.com>,
> Doug Bora <stig...@enteract.com> wrote:
> > : Nobody's heard from John Dailey in months. Are you certain that he is still
> > : working on those updates?
> >
> > What makes you say that? From John Dailey's web page:
> >
> > January 13, 1999
> > Falcon's Eye v1.06 Now Available!
> > Yup, you heard right, Falcon's Eye v1.06 is now available for download
> > from the Falcon's Eye product information pages.
> >

> How's that for timing, eh? Nobody hears from John in months, and then he
> updates his website less than 24 hours before I made my statement.

Amit Patel

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
<stoneg...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

| Hollie Satterfield <sp> had (has) a game called Space Dynasty that works on
| all dropfile type BBS systems, but the network play works only on WWIV
| systems. I'm sure I have a copy in my file listings that I could upload to
| some website someplace. If Hollie is listening, maybe he can pipe in
| himself.
|
| I don't know, however if Space Dynasty is Y2K compliant, as it predates SRE (I
| think).

Ah yes, I think I saw that once. I started SRE at least a year before
seeing Space Dynasty, but I was never very active in online gaming so
I didn't know most of the games out there. SRE started in July 1990;
I don't remember when Space Dynasty was created, but it was around the
same time (probably 1989). Both were clones of Space Empire. The
Space Dynasty documentation says Space Empire was from 1987 - Jon
Radoff. I wonder if Space Empire source is available.

I found Space Dynasty on

http://www.quest-net.com/downloads/gg5-12.htm

- Amit