USAF Low Morale Confirmed!!!

nat...@wwisp.com

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

For the past 8 months or so, this writer has intimated that there are
Command Level "problems" in the USAF that contribute to low morale and
safety program difficencies. Consistantly those allegations have been
met with hostile attacks by ex-USAF types, and current USAF College
programs participants. I am truely sad to announce that my alligations
are not only correct, but have now been verified by an internal DOD
publication according to the Washington Post.

In today's AVweb AVflash, in an article titled, "Air Force Pilot's Morale
Suffering", The Post has alleged that USAF personnel are leaving in
record numbers, and instructor pilots are "a very disgruntled group".
The article goes on to say that the USAF is suffering from low morale,
and many Branch members have lost faith in their leadership. These
points from the DOD publication referenced, according to the Post.

In another article, the USAF T-3A training fleet has been grounded due to
several crashes resultant from engine failure problems.

Lastly regarding the USAF, Captain Craig Button's remains have been tested
for evidense of alcohol or other drug use, and the test results were
negative.

Roswell

ps: If anyone has a complaint regarding the content of this article, I
suggest that you take it up with USAF General Peterson at the Pentagon,
or one of the other responsible parties in the USAF General Staff there.

nat...@wwisp.com

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Oops, I forgot the [ADA]! This is one of those times that I wish I
couldn't say I told you so.

In article <8701006...@dejanews.com>,

Albert K. Sykes

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

nat...@wwisp.com wrote:
USAF is suffering from low morale,
> and many Branch members have lost faith in their leadership.
>
> Roswell

This now includes the leadership. Gen Fogelman is quitting, too. He may
have a
broken heart, but at least not like Boorda's.

Tallyho!
Alpha Kilo

Kurt Bjorn

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Low morale? You're kidding! Watching butt-kissing weasels rocket up in
rank while fine pilots and officers get bad assignments MUST produce high
morale. It isn't how well you fly, it's who you know and how well you
perform your queep ground job. OPR's currently read like this:

Exceeds in managing ground training assets for the squadron. Ensures
everyone's Mobility bag contains the correct amount of underwear.
Maintains excellent records on squadron expenditures for mops and other
janitorial supplies. Works 12 hours per day... we see his face, so we know
he is here and dedicated to the mission of cleaning up the squadron for the
general's visit. Excells in ignoring family and any lifestyle not
conducive to aforementioned "face time". Promote immediately to O-4.

They should read like this:
Outstanding pilot. Briefs, flies, and debriefs excellent DACT missions,
with superior lessons learned for all participants. Strafe scores
consistently above 90%. He is the finest bomb dropper in the flight, and
consistently scores well in the quarterly top-gun events. When flying
duties are concluded, he spends time studying the threat, then goes home
for quality time with his family. Promote immediately to O-4 over the
political, pinched face weasels who kiss ass but can't fly out of a wet
paper bag.

"Pyro" ex USAF now American Airlines and loving it.
pyro...@nospam.flash.net
Remove "nospam." for email, can't handle the spambots anymore.

nat...@wwisp.com wrote in article <8701006...@dejanews.com>...

Ed Rasimus

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

"Kurt Bjorn" <pyro...@nospam.flash.net> wrote:

>Low morale? You're kidding! Watching butt-kissing weasels rocket up in
>rank while fine pilots and officers get bad assignments MUST produce high
>morale. It isn't how well you fly, it's who you know and how well you
>perform your queep ground job. OPR's currently read like this:

--Examples of OERs snipped--

Things don't change much. The question of staff vs ops has been around
since the brown shoe days. The rationale for writing an aviator's OER
based on his/her additional duty has always been that all of the
aviators are outstanding so the only way to distinguish is through the
AD performance.

Folks in ops know that the assumption is erroneous. We have always had
good aviators and not-so-good ones. We've had leaders and followers.
Unfortunately the predominant operating mode of the AF is peace time
with only momentary incursions into the real raison d'etre.

>> In another article, the USAF T-3A training fleet has been grounded due to

>> several crashes resultant from engine failure problems.

For someone in the safety business to totally miss the point of the
T-3 grounding and fail to read the aircraft history is disturbing.

There have been 3 T-3 accidents. (note that 3 is more specific than
"several") They have been for a variety of reasons including training
methods, pilot error, wind/weather and engine failure.

The grounding is a direct result of an in-flight occurence (not
accident, mishap or incident). On short final at USAFA with an IP in
control, when the throttle was advanced for a flight path adjustment,
the engine made a "strange noise" and quit. A normal landing was
accomplished and the occurence reported.

In what I would consider a reasonable safety program, the decision was
made to ground the fleet until the problem could be resolved, whether
it was an isolated incident, an engine design problem, an operating
procedure issue or whatever.

It seems that once again, Mr. Roswell's anti-USAF, anti-officer agenda
overcomes his professed professional obligation to report accurately
and objectively regarding flying safety issues.

Ed Rasimus *** Peak Computing Magazine
Fighter Pilot (ret) *** (http://peak-computing.com)
*** Ziff-Davis Interactive
*** (http://www.zdnet.com)

National Aero Safety

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97
to nat...@wwisp.com

National Aero Safety wrote:

> JJ Mead wrote:
>
> > Jerry Whittle wrote:

> > up in
> > produce high
> well
> > you
> > >

> > > <<<Stuff cut>>>
> > >
> > > Speaking of pilots, I have two questions: What skill, aptitude,
> > ability,
> > > or training for someone who flies single or dual seat aircraft
> > directly
> > > translates into the 'stuff' needed to run an organization of over
> > > 300,000 people? How many airlines are run by pilots?
> > >
> > > Personally, I think the USAF will fix a lot of its problems once
> we
> > > trade in the zipper-suited sun gods for a few good managers in the
>
> > top
> > > ranks. I'd rather work for a supply or maintenance officer who had

> > > manage assets and people during his or her entire career rather
> than
> >
> > > someone who only had to worry about their own butt and maybe a
> > wingman
> > > for half of theirs.
> > >
> > > Jerry Whittle
> > > Belleville, Illinois, USA
> > > whit...@apci.net
> > >
> > > Recently Retired After 24 Years and Loving It.
> > > July 29, 1997
> >
> > IM ON MY SOAPBOX NOW!!!!
> > I am active duty Air Force (enlisted) and have been in 15 years. The
>
> > Air
> > Force has LOST IT!!! We have 6 officers who I work with and out of
> > that
> > 6 there is ONE (1) that truley cares about his troops! all the other
>
> > ones do is put the words out there but their actions show that all
> > they
> > want is to get their ticket punched! Morale is a JOKE in my unit.
> > Everybody is soo stressed out and NOBODY CARES. All you are is a
> > number
> > and you need so many numbers to man our posting. Troops are BEGGING
> >
> > go TDY to get away from this unit! There are so many managers and so
>
> > few
> > warriors left in todays PC Air Force. This is the worst I have seen
> > and
> > it is not getting any better. Rember: No combat ready unit ever
> passed
> >
> > inspection and No inspection ready unit ever survived combat. THIS
> IS
> > TRUE! We need WARRIORS to run the USAF people who know what it is
> like
> >
> > to go in battle and KNOW they DONT want to do it ever again. Not
> > managers who just want their ticket punched and dont give a damn who
>
> > they step on or the results of their actions!
>
> Jerry,
>
> Take it easy son. Help is on the way. Now that Fogelman is HISTORY,
> changes will occur.
>
> You've got to hang in there, there are alot of good guys in the USAF,
> now that the bad guys are on the move out, positive change can
> [...]

Sorry JJ, I didn't mean to confuse you with Jerry.

Roswell

National Aero Safety

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97
to mea...@minotafb.ndak.net

Ed Rasimus

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

National Aero Safety <nat...@wwisp.com> wrote:

>Jerry,
>
>Take it easy son. Help is on the way. Now that Fogelman is HISTORY,
>changes will occur.
>
>You've got to hang in there, there are alot of good guys in the USAF,
>now that the bad guys are on the move out, positive change can
>transpire.

Strangely enough, after the dark years under Tony McPeak, Fogelman was
a breath of fresh air for the troops. Ron was a combat experienced
fighter pilot who rose through the ranks by doing the tough job at the
pointy end of the spear. He is highly respected throughout the AF and
particularly in the tactical aviation community.

His leaving prior to the completion of his term as Chief of Staff
tells me that he is standing up to the non-combatant sycophants of the
Clinton administration (Cohen and Widnall) who want a witch-burning to
satisfy the media over the Saudi barracks bombing.

General Fogelman will be sorely missed. (Except by those who liked
McPeaks version of the USAF/Eastern/PanAm/American/Delta uniform with
none of those offensive old ribbons or wings or rank thingies to
offend the wimps and weak dicks.)

Ros' ol buddy, you're wrong again.

nat...@wwisp.com

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

In article <33ddfbe5....@news.rmi.net>,
thu...@rmii.com (Ed Rasimus) wrote:

> "Kurt Bjorn" <pyro...@nospam.flash.net> wrote:
>
> >Low morale? You're kidding! Watching butt-kissing weasels rocket up in
> >rank while fine pilots and officers get bad assignments MUST produce high
> >morale. It isn't how well you fly, it's who you know and how well you
> >perform your queep ground job. OPR's currently read like this:
> >
> Inept Fighter Pilot (ret)

Ed my man,

Roswell is neither anti-USAF, nor anti-officer. Roswell is "anti-moron"
whether they wear stripes, Gold, or silver, it's "Morons" I don't care
for, not officers. Any intelligent individual should have figured that
out by now.

The article you are addressing above was taken right out of AvWeb and the
Washington Post. It's not my job to correct their definitions!

To assume that I am anything, without valid facts or statistical
information, is getting close to that Moron line Ed, be careful not to
cross it. I'd hate to see your Net reputation suffer from such an
unpleasant label! I mean, you're not a Moron, are you Ed? Biased and
emotional, maybe, but Moron, Naah!!!

Roswell

ps: Yes of course you think that the USAF has a reasonable safety
program! What else would be expected from a good ex-officer in service
to the USAF Golden boy's club? That's why things never change, guys like
you see that they don't.

GuessWho

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

<snip>
What a whiner, in the good old USMC a ground job has been a staple for
years. The Air Farce has just discovered this thing call a work
ethic. You know earn the pay check. They've been whining ever since.
For you see, after the bombs are dropped and the bad guys are blown to
hell, they're are still 200-300 guys in a squadron that still need
support. The Air Farce, you know what you do if Greyhound isn't
hiring and the Boy Scouts are through with you.
Waldo
Gunship Pilot

Stephen Swartz

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

In article <33de47b7....@news.rmi.net>, thu...@rmii.com (Ed Rasimus) says:

**** SNIP ****

>His leaving prior to the completion of his term as Chief of Staff
>tells me that he is standing up to the non-combatant sycophants of the
>Clinton administration (Cohen and Widnall) who want a witch-burning to
>satisfy the media over the Saudi barracks bombing.

Ed:
FWIW, I've heard that there are two reasons why Fogleman
decided to "resign in disgust:"

1) You're right, he got tired of bashing his head against the wall
of the PC crowd on the Khobar Towers thing (and damn near
everything else); and

2) SecDef and SecAF just issued a total "in your face" dissing of
Fogleman's "accountability and integrity" program (the
cornerstone of his COS hitch). Just last week, official guidance
was handed down that said "take it easy on the troops, there is
no reason to be so harsh on the little boys and girls who
sleep around/smoke dope/disobey orders/etc. etc." This
policy letter was in direct contradiction to Fogleman's entire
program of instilling confidence in the leadership (officer's and
NCO's alike) by re-instating and enforcing high standards of
professional behavior and conduct.

According to this week's AFTimes, reason #2 was probably the
straw that broke the general's back . . . he just couldn't take having
his legs cut out from under him (again). Don't blame him one bit.
Respect and loyalty only work when they are mutual.

>Ros' ol buddy, you're wrong again.

So what else is new?

Steve

MICOMA

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

>In article <33ddfbe5....@news.rmi.net>,
> thu...@rmii.com (Ed Rasimus) wrote:

<snip>

> I'd hate to see your Net reputation suffer from such an
>unpleasant label! I mean, you're not a Moron, are you Ed? Biased and
>emotional, maybe, but Moron, Naah!!!

Not to worry, Ed's reputation is solid and very sound. However yours...

Mike Weeks MIC...@aol.com

John R Hanson

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97
to Stephen Swartz

It seems the last time this BIG morale problem happened was when we
elected the last democrat as President.

Carter cut into the military budget to the point that in his final two
years of office there were numerous investigations of maintenance
personnel supposedly sabataging (sic) engines in F-4 aircraft, more
in-flight engine shutdowns in Hercs than in the entire history of Nam,
more people being court-martialed for alcohol and drug abuse, on and on
and on.

The buck does not stop at Fogleman, the buck stops at the White House
even though these things happened on Ron's watch. Don't you really
think that who ever was in charge of placing our troops in harms way in
Saudi should not pay for their lack of attention to detail? Just like
the 60-enlisted personnel sitting in jail today for doing the same thing
that the good buff driver did and gets a get-out-of-jail card, is that
fair too?

If there is bad morale in the Air Force, it can be directly attributed
to the leadership that was "Selected" from Ron's office. Was his
working relationship with the Secretary so bad that he couldn't
influence the decision on Flynn? If all this is true, he needs to
retire, no matter how good, sincere, etc, etc, etc he may be.

Retired MSgt USAF 10.87

Kurt Bjorn

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Waldo, there is a difference between having a work ethic and working for
the sake of appearance, which is what a large portion of the so-called
"additional duty" entails. The hours I spent on items like installing
pretty blue paper backgrounds behind our mission briefing boards (The 60th
has red ones... we want blue ones) I could have spent studying the threat,
a never-ending mission. In the time I spent computerizing small-arms
qualifications (the old card files worked fine) I could have created new
and imaginative ACM scenarios for my flight.

Pretty slides and computer files don't kill the bad guy... explosives and
bullets (and the skill to deliver them) do.

Squadron Support is different from queep, face-time, make-do work which is
the hallmark of the peacetime military. All I ever wanted to do was to
strap on 8 missiles and kill the enemies of our country, not file
triplicate scheduling reports or other wasteful, redundant garbage. And
the kicker, as I mentioned previously, is that advancement and promotion is
based largely on such drivel. The net effect is to turn warriors into
managers, lest they be left behind.

--
Kurt Bjorn

pyro...@nospam.flash.net
Remove "nospam." for email, can't handle the spambots anymore.

GuessWho <an42...@anon.penet.fi> wrote in article
<33e1d26...@news.alterdial.uu.net>...

Stephen Swartz

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

Your implicaion that I have somehow claimed *anything* about
morale in the U.S. military or the competence of the leadership
is absolutely amazing. Where do you get this stuff?

Of course, your transparent needling, while tiresome, is pathetic.

Once again, Ros Old Buddy, you must have been standing
downwind from a DEA seizure burn. Consider the following:

1) I have *never* disagreed with the points that a) morale is at an
all time low, b) the leadership is more concerned with politics than
either the troops or readiness, and c) spending cuts without
commensurate commitment cuts have eroded our fighting
capability.

AAMOF, I have yet to post an opinion on a) or b) to this point;
and have only peripherally posted on c) [ref discussions with
Hank Meyers about defense budget cuts circa 6 months ago].

Your claims to the contrary notwithstanding, I don't appreciate
your mischaracterization of my opinion. I will add your latest
insult to the already long list of Roswell SNAFUs that you owe
me an apology(ies) for.

HOWEVER we are still waiting for your response to the following
(since you now have access to all the data you need to prove
your points, and have promised to do so, we are all anxiously
awaiting your cogent and erudite analysis):

2) I continue to disagree with you that the USAF flying safety
program is inaquately managed and unecessarily exposes our crews
to risk.

3) I continue to maintain that you have not demonstrated that
either a) the USA flying safety program is superior to (or even
significantly different from) the USAF program, and b) the USA
program, if implemented by the USAF, would significantly decrease
the rate of Class A mishaps from either the trend line or long-run
average.

OBTW, I have always wondered: what *is* the weather like on your
planet? Just curious.

Steve

In article <33E0C991...@wwisp.com>, National Aero Safety <nat...@wwisp.com> says:

>My Dear Pals ED & Steve,
>
>I hate to break up this unofficial party between my two favorate Air
>Force Mouth Pieces, however, the title of this Thread needs to be
>brought to your attention. Please note: "USAF Low Morale Confirmed" is
>the title!
>
>With that in mind, it would seem that I have, indeed, been right, all
>along. I am not happy about that fact, but that is clearly the case
>never-the-less.
>
>Another item of concern is your use of the "Air Force Times" as any kind
>of reliable source of information. It just can't be trusted(Note the
>title). The Washington Post or the AvNews are both relatively unbiased
>news sources on the other hand, so I will stick with them as my source
>of data.
>
>My only parting shot is having the knowledge that both of you are
>probably eating antiacid Tablets by the hand fulls because I was correct
>all along. That must kill you two.:-) Just picture a man with a huge
>smile, and a barrel full of satisfaction, that's me Boys. Now go polish
>your brass.
>
>Roswell

National Aero Safety

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97
to Stephen Swartz

Stephen Swartz wrote:

YAWN, arrggg. Did someone have something important to say?

Aw well, I didn't think so. Snore, snore.

ROSWELL

National Aero Safety

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97
to Stephen Swartz

National Aero Safety

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97
to Wingedhoof

Wingedhoof wrote:

> >The Washington Post or the AvNews are both relatively unbiased
> >news sources on the other hand, so I will stick with them as my
> source
> >of data.
>

> Nataero or whatever,
>
> The article you cite was published in the 25 July edition of the
> Washington Times, not the Post as you state. Also, both the Post and
> the
> Times are heavily biased, liberal and conservative respectively.
>
> Your credibility is zilch. No change there.
>
> WH

Wrong answer BOZO! It came from AvNews as cited, who quoted the
Washington Post! The Washington Times is run by the Infamous Reverend
Moon isn't it? Get your head out of your ass and read what was posted!
What's wrong out there, do you need glasses?

As a propagandist you are a poor one for sure. "Zilch" would seem to
describe your Intelligence Quotient Winged Goof.

Roswell

nat...@wwisp.com

Aug 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/7/97

In article <19970807110...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
bille...@aol.com (Billevelyn) wrote:

> swartzst writes:
>
> >Once again, Ros Old Buddy ...
>
> Why? Why? Why do any of you reply or acknowledge this persons existence?

Perhaps it's because Roswell started this thread, Billy-Bob. Where are
some of your note worthy Postings to be found?

A. V. Ator

ps: Have you missed me Swartzy?? I've been busy Junior.