Tensioner replacement

1 view

James

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
I purchased a new Toyota timing belt for my 83 Cressida 5MGE and I was
wondering if I should go ahead and replace the crank and oil shaft
seals and the belt tensioner also. All of these items were replaced
85K miles ago.

Regarding the timing belt tensioner pulley, has anyone pressed out the
old bearing and installed a new bearing with success? I forgot
exactly how the tensioner was constructed but remember they are very
expensive to replace with a new unit.

Paul

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Go carefully on the tensioner issue. As a Toyota parts interpreter I have
seen several that have failed shortly after the first timing belt
replacement. Check the bearing carefully for ANY roughness or excessive
play. Remember, it has probably never been looked at since installation,
and will probably not be looked at for another 85000 miles. Being hidden is
the problem. Failure at highway speed in particular can lead to disastrous
engine failure. The bearing may not be particularly cheap but one every
85000 miles I would think is cheap insurance.

Paul Bech
pa...@chatswood.com.au

************************************

Toyota Parts
Interpreter Extraordinaire

************************************

slawz <c0le...@yahoo.com> wrote in article
<ALjq4.8642$Zp1.2...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> the seals may not be a bad idea, but if the tensioner isn't broken, why
fix
> it?

Philip

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
> The bearing may not be particularly cheap but one every
>85000 miles I would think is cheap insurance.

Agreed. I replaced the idler roller at the end of the first replacement belt
(160,000). The bearing was a little wobbly and was cheap considering the
consequences of inflite faulure.

Philip
"Logic is a method used to arrive at
wrong conclusions with confidence!"
"We are MicroSoft... Resistance is Futile
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED"