OT- fast Mazda (amazing)

Paul Johnson

Feb 26, 2008, 7:18:02 PM2/26/08
I think this was shot in Puerto Rico, a small Toyota with a souped up Mazda
rotary. Apparently it is street legal.
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p319/axelf1711/?action=view&current=Nayelis_7_09.flv
Paul Johnson

ALEX M.

Feb 26, 2008, 8:58:14 PM2/26/08
It's very fast, but I think that speed is Kilometers, which would make it
119 MPH

"Paul Johnson" <thejo...@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

Nate Nagel

Feb 26, 2008, 9:46:57 PM2/26/08

According to my Puerto Rican ex-coworker, there's a lot of little RWD
Toyotas getting hopped up over there, and rotaries are big also. He
made it sound like a street racer's paradise, but he may have had a
warped perspective...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

zoombot

Feb 26, 2008, 10:59:59 PM2/26/08
They run NHRA rules in Puerto Rico (this is the only dragstrip), and
wheelie bars and parachutes are not required below 140MPH.

From the way it was carrying the front wheel and the way the chute
bloomed after it scooted down the track - I'd say it's MPH, not KPH's.

That booger's ugly, but fast!

ALEX M.

Feb 27, 2008, 11:27:20 PM2/27/08
I looked at this acceleration calculator. If he weighs 2000 pounds he would
need over 1000 horsepower to reach 191MPH, but less than 300 to reach 119.
I would say it is Kilometers.
http://www.web-cars.com/math/qtr_mile.html

"zoombot" <zoo...@cox.net> wrote in message

zoombot

Feb 28, 2008, 11:51:48 AM2/28/08
Alex, have you ever looked at a drag race, instead of a calculator?

If you had, you'd know that at a 1/4 mile race, anyone running around
7 second elapsed times is going about 200MPH.

The kid's for real, and I'd stake my '52 Commander on it.

Paul Johnson

Feb 28, 2008, 12:59:26 PM2/28/08

"zoombot" <zoo...@cox.net> wrote in message

It appears that your Commander is safe. Here is some additional info posted
to the NG where I found the video link-
" The car is driven by Jose "Siguel Racing" Torres he used to
run one of the first 3 rotor powered cars and was the 1st rotary
powered car in 6's. He rarely races in the USA NHRA or Nopi
because he doesn't like the rules limiting rotary powered cars.
The motor to that car was built in Australia. The chassis was
built in Puerto Rico, and tuned by Siguel. It is believed to make
950WHP and is a full metal car, no fiber glass or carbon fiber.
It is 3/4 chassis. He also own a 3 rotor 20b 3 turbo powered
RX-8 full chassis that runs 6.85 on low boost with an Australian
built crate motor. At the moment he is just about breaking world
records with a rotary powered cars."

And, a Google search for Siguel Racing" brought this:
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=731005
Paul Johnson

oldcarfart

Mar 9, 2008, 5:11:42 PM3/9/08
On Feb 28, 1:59 pm, "Paul Johnson" <thejohns...@frontiernet.net>
wrote:
> "zoombot" <zoom...@cox.net> wrote in message

the PR guys that ran at Atco Dragway years ago ran rotary engines with
killer results, they sound like a chainsaw at full throttle. "Down
Under" is where much new racing technology has come from in last 10 or
so years, many of the OEM "hot rods" were Aussie products configured
for US market.