405 recirculation motor clicking!

Bob Minchin

Mar 2, 2005, 5:12:44 PM3/2/05
So as not to be left out, my 1995 405 has started the dreaded clicking
noise.
In some strange perverted way it almost seems reassuring that my car is
typical of the breed!

Over the years I have mainly read of this problem with 406s.
I have two questions.

1 Do I need to remove the 405 glovebox to get access or just the panel on
the right of the nearside footwell?. Any tips welcome.
2 Has anyone successfully acquired the plastic gear rumoured to be available
from a radio controlled models and where did they get it from?.

TIA

Bob

caveman_si

Mar 5, 2005, 3:07:58 PM3/5/05

Just seen this reminds me mine clicks and needs sorting! ive sort of
grown used to it. so to second bob any one know where we can buy the
little cog that needs replacing and on another note a rought guide to
replacing it!

cheers inadvance

si

Bob Minchin

Mar 5, 2005, 5:08:31 PM3/5/05

caveman_si wrote in message
<1110053278.3...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...

I decided to get to grips with this today.
Slid back the passenger seat. With the glovebox shut, I popped the hingepins
out from under the glove box and then released the catch to withdraw the
whole thing.
I then prised off the two retainers holding the trim below the glovebox.

The offending motor is on the left of the heater fan and there seems to be
no way to get the holding screws out at this stage.
There are a number of pop rivets that look like they hold the frame around
the glove box. Even then I was not sure if this would allow enough access.

I've decided that I did not want the ability to go into re-circulate mode so
I made sure the flap was in fresh air mode and then with the ignition off,
cut through the wire.

Ok so it is a cop out but a darn sight easier way to stop the noise!!

Hope this helps someone

Bob

edgr...@hotmail.com

Mar 6, 2005, 12:54:14 PM3/6/05
It is definitely the season for this problem. My '94 405 estate has
started the clicking too. Like Bob I have located the clicking motor
(small black box) and also like Bob I can't see any easy way to get to
it.

I've searched previous posts which all seem to say "it's very difficult
to get to, but can be done". I would be really grateful if someone
could give some hints as to how to get to this motor to try to attempt
a repair.

If I really can't get to it I guess I'll be cutting the cable like Bob
did.

Ed

Bob Minchin

Mar 6, 2005, 3:07:44 PM3/6/05

edgr...@hotmail.com wrote in message
<1110131654.5...@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>...

Go For It Ed!

Get those wire cutters out.

I'm usually prepared to give most things a disproportionate amount of time
to repair them and get satisfaction from doing so. But this is in the 'too
difficult' pile - drilling rivets out with the attendant risk of screwing up
other things on the way etc.

I cant think of the last time I used the recirculation mode. It is too slow
to shut to avoid the smell of an oil-burning car in front or to avoid
the'farmyard effect'.
It seems to that its only useful application is in great extremes of
temperature when either the heater or aircon could use a bit of help.

p38arover

Mar 8, 2005, 5:22:34 AM3/8/05
If this motor is the same as the temp motor on the 1989 405, I repaired it
with a set of gears from a secondhand blend flap servo motor from my P38A
Range Rover. The servos are identical.

Ron

"Bob Minchin" <bob.m...@OEnewsreader.com> wrote in message

Jon Denham

Apr 3, 2005, 4:44:15 PM4/3/05
I too am suffering from this on a 1998 406 LX 1.9TD (Saloon). Started
clicking one really cold morning a few weeks back.

Got most of the passenger side dismantled, but it looks like to get
the moulded glovebox out, you need to remove the dashboard in one
piece to access some
screws that are otherwise hidden...

I couldn't pinpoint the actual motor at fault - and to echo other
feelings on this, its a job that's too difficult right now.

I've traced the wires back to the dash panel multiconnector
and propose to cut the wire there, making it easier to reconnect
when (or if) I fix the motor.

Jon.

Mindwipe

Apr 6, 2005, 2:01:56 PM4/6/05

"Jon Denham" <jo...@interfast.co.uk> wrote in message

just as easy to reach round and disconnect the motor