Replacing old speedometer, how do I reset actual miles ??

john....@gmail.com

May 23, 2006, 11:55:50 PM5/23/06
My odometer has too few miles on it because the fuse for the
speedometer kept blowing out -- it was a problem with the windshield
wiper motor, which shares the fuse.

I want to reset the actual milage in case I have to bring the car in
for engine warranty work.

How do I find the real miles, is that stored in the ECU ??

How do I reset the odometer ??

Thanks in advance, John

Homepage:
http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/lnxsoc

hyundaitech

May 24, 2006, 12:18:23 PM5/24/06
It's illegal to tamper with an odometer. Huge, huge penalty.

How would the repair facility know the odometer hadn't been working and
was incorrect?

Mike Marlow

May 24, 2006, 12:21:25 PM5/24/06

"hyundaitech" <notp...@not.public.com> wrote in message

> It's illegal to tamper with an odometer. Huge, huge penalty.

It is legal to have them corrected though. This allows for dash units to be
used from salvage yards by insurance companies, etc.

> How would the repair facility know the odometer hadn't been working and
> was incorrect?

Precisely.

--

-Mike-
mmarlo...@alltel.netx

Brian Nystrom

May 24, 2006, 1:30:31 PM5/24/06
Besides which, it sounds like you've effectively extended your warranty
by whatever miles weren't recorded. As the saying goes: "Don't look a
gift horse in the mouth."

john....@gmail.com

May 25, 2006, 11:00:08 AM5/25/06
yeah, I noticed !! <-- not ALL that honest

But, if you have every brought a car in for warranty work, you will
find that the dealership will look for any opportunity to void it.

That is why I want to set it right, to protect the big investment, the
engine.

Car goes 130 mph with seductive stability-- I am worried I will blow
the motor. If do that, I will definately be wanting them to give me a
new one.

That is why I would like to get the correct miles recorded, but I have
no clue if that is stored anywhere.

I drive big diesel trucks for chump change now and again, since I am
finishing my degree. Their ECUs have an amazing amount of data stored,
though I am not sure they store miles.

The older tiburon is a very pretty car, prettiest available for any
money, IMHO.

By way of history, my previous cars were a chevy cavalier and dodge
omni and an old-school chevy nova. I drove them for all for about 3
cents a mile plus fuel.

In comparison, these cheap american cars were actually far better
built, having forged steering components, for instance. All the parts
where more generously built, bearings stronger; the cars were far more
forgiving to abuse.

If anybody knows where the tiburon hides her mileage.... thanks again

Brian Nystrom

May 25, 2006, 1:44:53 PM5/25/06
john....@gmail.com wrote:
> yeah, I noticed !! <-- not ALL that honest
>
> But, if you have every brought a car in for warranty work, you will
> find that the dealership will look for any opportunity to void it.
>
> That is why I want to set it right, to protect the big investment, the
> engine.

How could they possibly know anything if you don't tell them?

> Car goes 130 mph with seductive stability-- I am worried I will blow
> the motor. If do that, I will definately be wanting them to give me a
> new one.

Wait a minute here. You want "to protect the big investment", but you
drive the car at 130 mph?! If that's the case, not only do you not
deserve warranty coverage, but you don't deserve the privelege of
driving a car! What the heck are you thinking??? Slow down before you
kill someone!

> That is why I would like to get the correct miles recorded, but I have
> no clue if that is stored anywhere.

There's nothing you can do about it.

Eric G.

May 25, 2006, 5:01:30 PM5/25/06
Brian Nystrom <brian....@verizon.net> wrote in news:p2mdg.5954$nA2.4412
@trndny01:

> Wait a minute here. You want "to protect the big investment", but you
> drive the car at 130 mph?! If that's the case, not only do you not
> deserve warranty coverage, but you don't deserve the privelege of
> driving a car! What the heck are you thinking??? Slow down before you
> kill someone!

I won't argue the priveledge to drive part, but the warranty? C'mon!
Hyundai made a car that goes close to 140 MPH as a top speed without any
modifications by the owner. Are you telling us that using the car as it
was designed should void the warranty? That's like buying a computer that
can process at 3.5 Ghz but only being allowed to use it at 1.0 Ghz.

Eric

nothermark

May 26, 2006, 7:02:29 AM5/26/06
On Thu, 25 May 2006 17:44:53 GMT, Brian Nystrom
<brian....@verizon.net> wrote:

>Snip<

>Wait a minute here. You want "to protect the big investment", but you
>drive the car at 130 mph?! If that's the case, not only do you not
>deserve warranty coverage, but you don't deserve the privelege of
>driving a car! What the heck are you thinking??? Slow down before you
>kill someone!

Ever driven out west where it's really flat and a long way between
places?

;-)

Brian Nystrom

May 26, 2006, 7:09:27 AM5/26/06

Yes, I have. Nothing justifies driving 130 mph on public roads.

Eric G.

May 26, 2006, 4:18:05 PM5/26/06
Brian Nystrom <brian....@verizon.net> wrote in news:HlBdg.6390
$nA2.2305@trndny01:

How about when you get a call at 2:00 AM that your premature baby, who
is in the hospital, needs emergency life-or-death surgery and you need
to be there NOW? And the hosptial is 45 minutes away at normal speeds?

It happened to me and I made the 45 minute trip in about 20 minutes.
And that included the time it took to get pulled over at gun-point,
explain my situation, and get an escort for the last 5 miles of the
trip.

Yes, it really happened. And my daughter is 3 months old now and doing
well.

Eric

Brian Nystrom

May 26, 2006, 5:15:19 PM5/26/06

I'm glad to hear that you had a good outcome, but you could just as
easily ended up in a smoking pile of wreckage on the side of the road.
What would have happened to your daughter then? The smart move would
have been to contact the authorities first.

Matt Whiting

May 26, 2006, 7:17:58 PM5/26/06
Eric G. wrote:

You performed surgery on your own daughter? I didn't realize you were a
surgeon.

Matt

Eric G.

May 26, 2006, 7:18:30 PM5/26/06
Brian Nystrom <brian....@verizon.net> wrote in news:HdKdg.680
$634.403@trndny06:

> I'm glad to hear that you had a good outcome, but you could just as
> easily ended up in a smoking pile of wreckage on the side of the road.
> What would have happened to your daughter then? The smart move would
> have been to contact the authorities first.

Thanks.

I tried contacting the local authorities first. My township told me to
call the NJ State Police. I did that. They told me they could not help
me. What I did after that was high-tail it myself. I had my wife leave
in her own car with instructions to drive "normal" and I would call her
as soon as I got there, so if one of us did wind up in a wreck, the
other would make it.

I used to race in SCCA competition so I have some experience with high
speeds. I don't condone doing something like that unless it is an
absolute last resort. In my mind, it was for me.

Another time I was able to avoid driving like that for an emergency. My
Father took some pills, then called me to say "Goodbye". I hopped in my
car at work and headed towards his house like a maniac, but then I
realized that even driving like that would take me 1/2 hour to get
there. I then wised up and called HIS local Police, who kept me on the
phone while they and the ambulance responded. Luckily he DIDN'T
actually take the pills.

Anyway, my point is that I can see times when drivng that fast might be
necessary. I won't lie and say I've never done it for fun either, but
that usually happens on an open Interstate on a Sunday morning.

Why would they make cars that can go that fast?

Eric

Matt Whiting

May 26, 2006, 7:18:53 PM5/26/06
Brian Nystrom wrote:

... having killed a family of six on the process. Driving like that was
simply stupid.

Matt

Eric G.

May 26, 2006, 7:23:21 PM5/26/06
Matt Whiting <whi...@epix.net> wrote in news:G0Mdg.9021$lb.820250
@news1.epix.net:

> You performed surgery on your own daughter? I didn't realize you were a
> surgeon.
>
> Matt

Ha! Far from it. They won't do it without a parent/guardian present on a
baby. Even emergent care. They did intubate her without us, and also did
a minor surgery to insert a central line, but further than that was not
allowed at the hospital she was in without us. And that is even with a
verbal on the phone from us to go ahead.

Eric

Matt Whiting

May 26, 2006, 7:24:11 PM5/26/06
Eric G. wrote:

So they can climb hills and accelerate at a decent rate. If you sized
the engine to have a top speed of 65 MPH, it would take you forever to
get there and you'd be climbing hills at 15 MPH. The manufacturers can
now limit speeds electronically and some cars do that. If idiots keep
driving like you claim to, then the government will at some point make
that decision for the car makers.

Matt

Eric G.

May 26, 2006, 7:26:42 PM5/26/06

>> I'm glad to hear that you had a good outcome, but you could just as
>> easily ended up in a smoking pile of wreckage on the side of the
>> road.
>
> ... having killed a family of six on the process. Driving like that
> was simply stupid.
>

> Matt

Thanks again for your opinion. I would like to see what you would do in
the same situation, but I don't wish that on anyone. But I can tell you
that, with 99.9% confidence, you wouldn't do what you say you would do.

And I never did say it was smart. It was a last resort.

Eric

Eric G.

May 26, 2006, 7:42:08 PM5/26/06

> So they can climb hills and accelerate at a decent rate. If you sized
> the engine to have a top speed of 65 MPH, it would take you forever to
> get there and you'd be climbing hills at 15 MPH. The manufacturers
> can now limit speeds electronically and some cars do that. If idiots
> keep driving like you claim to, then the government will at some point
> make that decision for the car makers.
>
> Matt

You talk like speed limiters are new. I seem to remember them being
around, mechanical or electronic, for some time now :-)

I don't remember claiming to drive that fast on a regular basis. In fact,
if anything I drive too slow on a regular basis. But you're right about
the idiots. I see them day in and day out. I really don't see the
government doing anything to the manufacturers. They make too much off the
tickets to warrant that. They will probably implement more photo radar
units. That way they can let the idiots drive as fast as they want and
just mail them a ticket and make some money.

Eric

Matt Whiting

May 26, 2006, 8:18:53 PM5/26/06
Eric G. wrote:

Actually, I've been in similar situations several times. Not identical,
but similar. I worked as a logger for 5 years and made a few runs with
victims of some nasty injuries (ever see what a chainsaw does to a
limb?). I drove briskly, but rarely much exceeded the speed limit. And
often the drive was an hour of dirt roads.

As an ambulance driver once told me, it doesn't do much good if you
create a second accident while leaving the scene of the original accident.

Matt

Matt Whiting

May 26, 2006, 8:19:54 PM5/26/06
Eric G. wrote:

OK, but I thought you were the one talking pretty cavalierly about
driving 130 MPH on public roads. Maybe I got you confused with another
poster.

Matt

Eric G.

May 26, 2006, 8:29:21 PM5/26/06

>> Thanks again for your opinion. I would like to see what you would do
>> in the same situation, but I don't wish that on anyone. But I can
>> tell you that, with 99.9% confidence, you wouldn't do what you say
>> you would do.
>>
>> And I never did say it was smart. It was a last resort.
>
> Actually, I've been in similar situations several times. Not
> identical, but similar. I worked as a logger for 5 years and made a
> few runs with victims of some nasty injuries (ever see what a chainsaw
> does to a limb?). I drove briskly, but rarely much exceeded the speed
> limit. And often the drive was an hour of dirt roads.
>
> As an ambulance driver once told me, it doesn't do much good if you
> create a second accident while leaving the scene of the original
> accident.

Let me know how you make out when it is YOUR wife or child. I was an EMT
in the late 80's myself. I never drove like that with anyone in my bus.

All I can say is you have no idea how you would react. And I hope you
never have to.

Eric

Eric G.

May 26, 2006, 8:30:23 PM5/26/06

>> I don't remember claiming to drive that fast on a regular basis. In
>> fact, if anything I drive too slow on a regular basis. But you're
>> right about the idiots. I see them day in and day out. I really
>> don't see the government doing anything to the manufacturers. They
>> make too much off the tickets to warrant that. They will probably
>> implement more photo radar units. That way they can let the idiots
>> drive as fast as they want and just mail them a ticket and make some
>> money.
>
> OK, but I thought you were the one talking pretty cavalierly about
> driving 130 MPH on public roads. Maybe I got you confused with
> another poster.
>
> Matt

No, Matt, you confused me with the OP.

Eric

Matt Whiting

May 26, 2006, 8:32:07 PM5/26/06

I'm glad to hear that.

Matt

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Matt Whiting

May 28, 2006, 1:40:46 PM5/28/06
Bob Adkins wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2006 11:09:27 GMT, Brian Nystrom <brian....@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Yes, I have. Nothing justifies driving 130 mph on public roads.
>

> For those of us who are too CHICKEN (or too sensible) to open up the car,
> here is a nice little movie of an 06 Hyundai Sonata running from 0-133mph.

I fall into the second camp, but on a track it would be a hoot. Any
idea which model Sonata this was? It seemed to accelerate too fast
above 100 MPH to be a 4 cylinder, yet the shifting sounded like it was a
standard shift, which isn't available with the V-6.

Matt

Matt Whiting

May 28, 2006, 1:42:50 PM5/28/06
Bob Adkins wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2006 23:24:11 GMT, Matt Whiting <whi...@epix.net> wrote:
>

>>If idiots keep driving like you claim to, then the government will at some point make
>>that decision for the car makers.
>

> We should treasure our idiots that take risks. We are a nation of
> descendants of risk-taking idiots.

I'm not at all against taking risks. I ride motorcycles, fly airplanes,
etc. It is wantonly placing others at risk that I object to and which
is what was described here. You are confusing taking risks with being
stupid.

> I do not condone driving 130mph, but I defend anyone's right to do it...
> safely, on empty roads, of course. The Government has no right to protect
> us from our own stupidity, because the Government is more stupid than us.

Replace road above with track and I'm with you 100%.

Matt

Matt Whiting

May 28, 2006, 1:43:31 PM5/28/06
Bob Adkins wrote:

>>>No, Matt, you confused me with the OP.
>>
>>I'm glad to hear that.
>

> So Matt, why in hell do you drive 130mph? Explain yourself!!!

I don't. Where did you get that idea?

Matt

Message has been deleted

Zotto

May 28, 2006, 3:26:10 PM5/28/06

Eric G.

May 28, 2006, 7:04:27 PM5/28/06
Matt Whiting <whi...@epix.net> wrote in

It was a V6. With the pedal floored, it does sound a bit like a manual
shift. Even more so if they were using the "manumatic" or whatever Hyundai
calls it.

Eric

Matt Whiting

May 28, 2006, 9:34:10 PM5/28/06
Bob Adkins wrote:

> On Sun, 28 May 2006 17:40:46 GMT, Matt Whiting <whi...@epix.net> wrote:
>

>>I fall into the second camp, but on a track it would be a hoot. Any
>>idea which model Sonata this was? It seemed to accelerate too fast
>>above 100 MPH to be a 4 cylinder, yet the shifting sounded like it was a
>>standard shift, which isn't available with the V-6.
>

> Ya, it was an 06 LX, with about 1500 on the odometer. I love the engine
> sound. The tranny sounds a lot better in that movie than it actually is. It
> sounds like it's shifting crisply, but that's deceptive.

Yes, I test drove a couple of V-6s and even shifting the auto in the
manual mode it didn't sound like the one in the video which is what I
was wondering about. Now, my 4 cylinder does sound more like that if I
shift at 6 grand. :-)

Matt