2003 Pilot Transmission Failure

Tekilaguy

May 17, 2006, 10:21:54 AM5/17/06
I have a 2003 Pilot EX-L with 86,000 miles sitting in a transmission shop
while American Honda decides if the are going to replace it or not. So I
have a few question:

1. Does the Pilot have the same tranny as the Odyssey?
2. What is the inspection process for the tranny safety recall?
3. How many miles do you have to be under for the tranny recall to matter?
4. If the tranny recall is not performed what problems will it cause?

I would great appreciate if anyone can provide any insight

Curly Q. Links

May 17, 2006, 10:50:44 AM5/17/06
Tekilaguy wrote:

> I have a 2003 Pilot EX-L with 86,000 miles sitting in a transmission shop
> while American Honda decides if the are going to replace it or not. So I
> have a few question:
>
> 1. Does the Pilot have the same tranny as the Odyssey?
> 2. What is the inspection process for the tranny safety recall?
> 3. How many miles do you have to be under for the tranny recall to matter?
> 4. If the tranny recall is not performed what problems will it cause?

-----------------------------

Number 4. Are you saying they sent you a tranny recall but you didn't
get it done?

'Curly'

Rob

May 17, 2006, 10:52:47 AM5/17/06
Automatic transmission's have always been Honda's biggest problem.

"'Curly Q. Links'" <mots...@interbaun.com> wrote in message

Tekilaguy

May 17, 2006, 11:15:13 AM5/17/06
"'Curly Q. Links'" <mots...@interbaun.com> wrote in

No, I just want to know what problem the recall is preventing

tww

May 18, 2006, 6:52:50 PM5/18/06

"Tekilaguy" <teki...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Recall reading a post by a Pilot owner who had to replace his transmission
around 100k. No reason was given. It would be interesting to know as the 03
models get up in age if the failure point is around your mileage or so. We
have 46k on ours with recall performed and no problems yet. Thinking that
trade time may be around 75-80k as transmission replacement has to be around
$4,000.

Ron Jones

May 18, 2006, 8:49:09 PM5/18/06
I assume the Acura 2000 TL tranny is similar. Just had mine replaced at
87,000 mi

"tww" <twa...@cox.net> wrote in message

Shane

May 24, 2006, 10:24:58 PM5/24/06
I just took my 2003 Pilot in today with massive slipping problems with
the transmission. I have 62,000 miles and the recall/retrofit was
performed some time ago. The dealership has performed all prior
maintenance and has all service records to the vehicle. I will find
out tomorrow if Honda will assist in replacing my transmission. Did
you have any luck getting a replacement from Honda?

tww

May 26, 2006, 7:26:16 AM5/26/06

"Shane" <shane....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I just took my 2003 Pilot in today with massive slipping problems with
> the transmission. I have 62,000 miles and the recall/retrofit was
> performed some time ago. The dealership has performed all prior
> maintenance and has all service records to the vehicle. I will find
> out tomorrow if Honda will assist in replacing my transmission. Did
> you have any luck getting a replacement from Honda?

As an 03 owner, I have been looking at various pilot Web sites
(www.hondapilot.org) to get a better idea whether this another Honda
transmission problem. It seems that 03s are heading the list so far with
failures starting around 60k miles. It would be useful to get an idea of
the failure rate, but Honda probably will not release that data. It bears
watching as 03/04s get up in mileage.

tbo...@comcast.net

Jun 15, 2006, 11:34:17 PM6/15/06

Mine went bad at 83,000 miles. I took it in on Mon. got it back today
Honda took care of everything. But when my Pilot was still under
warranty they had to work on my trans twice during that time period for
a leaky trans.

tww

Jun 16, 2006, 7:32:12 PM6/16/06

<tbo...@comcast.net> wrote in message
That's great. I imagine, though, that it was covered because you had
problems during the warranty period. Doubt Honda would routinely replace a
transmission otherwise.