changing transmission oil

leza wang

Jul 15, 2011, 4:18:42 PM7/15/11
i have honda 2001 (i am only the owner). I only chnaged transmission
oil like 3-4 years ago. My question, should i change the transmission
oil now? It is standard (5 gears). Recently i have problem to change
the gear from nutral to #1 when i stop, it is easier to change it to
#2 right away. Any idea or suggetion would be very much appreciate it.
Changing transmission oil is costly ($90 + tax)
Thanks

Tegger

Jul 16, 2011, 6:27:19 AM7/16/11
leza wang <leza...@gmail.com> wrote in news:eaeb5218-d991-454d-a6fb-
4dba00...@l18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

> i have honda 2001 (i am only the owner). I only chnaged transmission
> oil like 3-4 years ago. My question, should i change the transmission
> oil now? It is standard (5 gears).

The oil should be changed every 30K miles, or something like that. Your
Owner's Manual will tell you for sure.

> Recently i have problem to change
> the gear from nutral to #1 when i stop, it is easier to change it to
> #2 right away.

That's more likely a clutch problem. Check the master and slave cylinders
for leakage past the seals (it won't be leakage you can see!).

> Any idea or suggetion would be very much appreciate it.
> Changing transmission oil is costly ($90 + tax)
> Thanks

If you think $90 is "costly", then you shouldn't be owning a car. Fixing a
tranny wrecked for lack of fresh oil is even more costly.

And repairing a master/slave leak will also be more costly than $90.

--
Tegger