1989 F150 Headlight Switch Problem

N W W

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Bear with me..this is kind of weird.

If the headlight switch stem is pulled half way out (parking lights?) - Nothing.
" " " " " " " all the way out for all lights to
be on, only the headlights are on...NO OTHER LIGHTS - Nada...dash, tail,
license, running and the chime for lights on will not ring.

Once the stem is all the way out though I can push it in a hair/wiggle it
and the lights will come on normal...tail, license, head, running, dash
and the chime works.

Under no circumstances can I get only the parking lights & dash to come on
at the half way point.

Previous owner put in 4 new dash switches and I have installed one new
one...Ford original. I've also replaced the cannon plug/junction assy
that connects to the switch with a Ford original. The problem still
exists. Are there things "downstream" of the switch that could cause this
oddity. I have tools but no smarts on this one.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Email or to the NG..

Thanks - NW

--
I disagree with what you say, but will defend
to the death your right to say it. --Voltaire--

Doug McCrary

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
I doubt there's anything down line of the switch except wire and the lamps.
In this age of mass production, it's entirely possible that all of those
switches were manufactured exacly the same, and wrong. Ever tried a
second-source switch? Like Pep Boys (ugh)?
Alternatively, maybe it's been rewired wrong somewhere along the line - but
that sounds unlikely from your description.

George Daleo

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
I had similar problem with '89 Gran Marque. A replacement switch is working
fine so far. I checked around before I bought Ford switch and there was NO
after market switch available.

N W W wrote in message ...
>Bear with me..this is kind of weird.
>
>If the headlight switch stem is pulled half way out (parking lights?) -
Nothing.
>" " " " " " " all the way out for all lights to
>be on, only the headlights are on...NO OTHER LIGHTS - Nada...dash, tail,
>license, running and the chime for lights on will not ring.
>
>Once the stem is all the way out though I can push it in a hair/wiggle it
>and the lights will come on normal...tail, license, head, running, dash
>and the chime works.
>
>Under no circumstances can I get only the parking lights & dash to come on
>at the half way point.

Buck Richards

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
I have the same problem. The cause is a weak contact in the switch. I was told about
this at a Ford dealer. There was a fix out from NAPA I think. What is was (is) is a
relay that goes in the wire that controls the parking/dash lights. I was told that
the cost was about $30. I didn't plan on having the truck this long, so I bought a
new switch. Now on the 3rd one.

--
Buck Richards
Buck...@QQQQepix.net (Remove "QQQQ" to email)

KickAss...@webtv.net

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
I also have this problem with my 88 escort gt. One of the people
responding to your posting talked about a relay or something for 30
dollars that would fix it. My solution (which I haven't finished yet)
is to by a pair of universal 30 amp relays and wire the actual headlamps
and foglamps to one, and the rest of the lights to the other, and then
use a universal switch to fit in the hole where the old light switch was
to switch low current source to the relays! My reson for this is that
the problem with my light switch is that ford is running too much
current though just a switch, instead of letting a relay made for high
current do the work! Also I don't ever use my parking lights without my
head lights, so I don't care if they will all be on at once! The reason
for two relays, is to distribute the load through the contacts, this
way, one relay won't have to deal with so much current! So anyway, my
switch problem may not be the same as yours exactly, but this can be a
solution! Good luck!

"Kyle, I will kick you in the nuts!!!"