Need help w/Taurus auto transmission prob

bustedk...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2006, 5:09:31 AM3/4/06
'95 Taurus 165,000 mi. Lost all but Lo gear while driving. Can put it
in Dr & can accelerate from stop. Stays in Lo. When I let off gas,
coasts as if in neutral. Doesn't re-engage until RPM's pick up to match
the speed in Lo.

Have Reverse. Fluid at bottom of cross-hatch on dipstick when cold.

Any tips?

Backyard Mechanic

Mar 4, 2006, 9:11:44 AM3/4/06
bustedk...@gmail.com wrote:

No tips... but a 'hint'!

"Fluid at bottom of cross-hatch on dipstick when cold"

Find a friend or neighbor and check THEIR CAR'S AT fluid level when cold!

And what does ANY manual say about checking AT fluid level?

Maybe a different posting monicker including word 'knuckle'? ;)

you pay..DEAL with it!

simps...@hotmail.com

Mar 4, 2006, 1:13:53 PM3/4/06
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:11:44 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
<pett...@yaywho.com> wrote:

>bustedk...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> '95 Taurus 165,000 mi. Lost all but Lo gear while driving. Can put it
>> in Dr & can accelerate from stop. Stays in Lo. When I let off gas,
>> coasts as if in neutral. Doesn't re-engage until RPM's pick up to match
>> the speed in Lo.
>>
>> Have Reverse. Fluid at bottom of cross-hatch on dipstick when cold.
>>
>> Any tips?
>>

>No tips... but a 'hint'!
>
>"Fluid at bottom of cross-hatch on dipstick when cold"
>
>Find a friend or neighbor and check THEIR CAR'S AT fluid level when cold!
>
>And what does ANY manual say about checking AT fluid level?

LMFAO
backyard your info is BOGUS
depends
some have a full hot and full cold indicated on dipstick
your not only a crusty old geezer
your a WANNABEE or you would see this
fluid sounds close enough should be no problem
its stuck in second which has no one way clutch
scan for a code

hurc

Backyard Mechanic

Mar 4, 2006, 1:44:39 PM3/4/06
simps...@hotmail.com wrote:

we'll see... you could be right. Because first gear'engage' doesnt
usually work well with low fluid....but then, again...

Since I have a 95 taurus... and you cant separate it out from the rest of
the cars that come across your grease rack.

bustedk...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2006, 3:37:02 PM3/4/06
Thanks, "Crust", I may be an older geezer than you, but my point about
fluid was so it was known that when it was "cold" it fell at the bottom
of crosshatches, and therefor when "hot" it would probably be higher.
My manual says never add fluid if the level is within crosshatches. I
guess I should run my car in the driveway for about a half hour to make
sure I comply with the manual. Maybe quicker to drive around in Lo at
about 4000 RPM and 30 MPH for awhile.

I thought maybe someone might have had an experience like mine and know
whether it was computer related, fluid, linkage, transmission shop, or
trans replacement.

Also, I would have used 2 "Ks" knuckle instead of 3 had it been
available. I'm not sure but you may have been giving me a spelling
lesson along with the others you gave me.

Anyhow, I do appreciate your time.

Ted

Mar 4, 2006, 3:41:51 PM3/4/06
Only first and reverse? If you have a good solid first gear, the
intermediate clutch is not working. Possible causes, shift solenoid # 1 on
the valve body, or 1-2 shift valve stuck, but not likely; what I usually see
is the intermediate clutch plate splines are stripped, or planetary shaft is
broken, which means internal trans repair, or replace the tranny. The only
other thing that can be fixed without removing the trans if a broken snap
ring at the servo located at the rear of the trans near the oil pan, but
that usually also gives you a slipping or no lo gear. HTH
Ted

<bustedk...@gmail.com> wrote in message

bustedk...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2006, 4:12:49 PM3/4/06
Thanks, Ted. 1st is solid . . . no slippping at all. It was starting to
upshift pretty hard (solid thunk into 2nd) at times.

I had just started getting an occasional whistling sound from exhaust,
and thought catalytic converter might be causing the noise and hard
shifting.

3.0 engine, by the way, transverse.

Ted

Mar 4, 2006, 4:26:06 PM3/4/06
The cat won't usually cause a whistle noise, but the muffler or exhaust leak
could; this would be unrelated to the trans problem, though. If the sound
were actually coming from the trans and not the exhaust, it could be that
the pressure solenoid on the main control is sticking, causing high line
pressure and a buzzing or growling noise. This could have caused your harsh
shifting.

<bustedk...@gmail.com> wrote in message

simps...@hotmail.com

Mar 4, 2006, 10:43:12 PM3/4/06