Audi Brake Fluid

Romy Singh

Oct 28, 2002, 11:33:34 AM10/28/02
About to do my brake flush (sooner or later), and I was wondering what type
of brake fluid to use. Owners manual says nothing, haven't received the
service manual yet.
The cap on the master cylinder states DOT 4, I got Valvoline DOT 4, I think
it was a synthetic, can't remember. Is this good enough? I'm sure it meets
DOT 4 specs, but brand wise, any opinions? And also, what's the proffered
method of flushing? Traditional 2 man job, vacuum, or pressure?

Thanks,
Romy
1998.5 A4Q 2.8L

jason ashworth

Oct 28, 2002, 2:06:19 PM10/28/02
DOT4 or above will do the job personaly i prefer the 2 man job pumping the
pedal but on the first few pumps take it real easy as depending on the
mileage i have had vehicles flick the master cylinder seals inside out
usually on nissans never had it happen on an audi but u never know
"Romy Singh" <cool...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

C.R. Krieger

Oct 29, 2002, 3:01:47 PM10/29/02
"jason ashworth" <jason.a...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> DOT4 or above will do the job

DOT 4 will do the job. DOT 5 will *not*! DOT 5 is a silicone brake fluid, is
*not* miscible with DOT 4 or below fluids, and is *not* considered an adequate
substitute by most racing sanctioning bodies.

DOT 5 fluid is best used in applications that are not too demanding except for
longevity because it doesn't absorb water. IOW, vehicles that are only serviced
after long intervals where the normally hygroscopic DOT 3/4 fluids would absorb
too much water and corrode the system. Under heavy applications and high heat,
DOT 5 fluid tends to give a 'spongy' pedal. Not a good thing in a car such as
an Audi.
--
C.R. Krieger
"Don't argue with 'em, dear; they're beneath our dignity." - W.C. Fields

Sammy

Nov 11, 2002, 10:33:58 PM11/11/02
DOT 4 Synthetic will work nicely. Make sure it's a clean tightly sealed
bottle.
Traditional 2 man will work. Take it easy and Pump Slowly and bleed little
by little.
Repeat till clear.
Pressure is nice too if you have the bottle and an air pump....15 psi dont
need much.
Alot of Audi people really like the "Super Blue ATE Brake Fluid" too.
Please check the Brake Hoses too.
Make sure they aren't leaking or expanding like a balloon when you step on
the brake pedal.
Make sure you clean the Master Cylinder Reservoir and Cap. Keep everything
nice and clean.