Rational Bible Alternative

瀏覽次數:1 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Dave

未讀,
2005年8月22日 晚上10:19:052005/8/22
收件者:
So we have the Bible, which the dimwits claim contains so much wisdom
that it tells them virtually everything they need to know about living
their lives. In the Middle-East we have the Koran, which the dimwits
claim contains so much wisdom it tells them everything they need to
live their lives, and if it doesn't there are supplemental holy texts
which fill in every detail.

Now we know this is all a crock, but what rational non-religious text
could the dimwits consult for such comprehensive advice with a secular
perspective? Does any such book exist? My first thought was the Boy
Scout Manual, but then I realized it wasn't secular and doesn't discuss
parenting or a lot of basic things that the dimwits will definitely ask
beyond how to pitch a tent. I'm sure the Boy Scout Manual is vastly
superior to the Bible, but still the gaps in its coverage are just too
great.

Any other ideas?

Enkidu the Atheist

未讀,
2005年8月22日 晚上10:38:382005/8/22
收件者:
"Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1124763545.952841.291090
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The "White Pages" has as much wisdom and a better story line.

--
Enkidu AA#2165
EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move.
-Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

J Forbes

未讀,
2005年8月22日 晚上10:56:562005/8/22
收件者:
Life's too complex to fit it all in one book.

Jim

WCB

未讀,
2005年8月23日 凌晨12:08:122005/8/23
收件者:
Dave wrote:

If you had an Encyclopedia Britanica and a Oxford English Dictionary,
You would have a good start.
--

Xenu is around and about,
mention Hubbard, Xenu pops out!

Cheerful Charlie

Greywolf

未讀,
2005年8月23日 凌晨12:06:032005/8/23
收件者:

"Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I just received a booklet titled, 'Affirmations ...' by Paul Kurtz in the
mail today.
So far so good. It's pretty life affirming and makes a whole lot of common
sense.
It's no 'bible,' but at least Paul doesn't claim he can walk on water in it.
Now
raising people from the dead ...

Greywolf

Dave

未讀,
2005年8月23日 凌晨12:20:382005/8/23
收件者:
WCB wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
> > So we have the Bible, which the dimwits claim contains so much wisdom
> > that it tells them virtually everything they need to know about living
> > their lives. In the Middle-East we have the Koran, which the dimwits
> > claim contains so much wisdom it tells them everything they need to
> > live their lives, and if it doesn't there are supplemental holy texts
> > which fill in every detail.
> >
> > Now we know this is all a crock, but what rational non-religious text
> > could the dimwits consult for such comprehensive advice with a secular
> > perspective? Does any such book exist? My first thought was the Boy
> > Scout Manual, but then I realized it wasn't secular and doesn't discuss
> > parenting or a lot of basic things that the dimwits will definitely ask
> > beyond how to pitch a tent. I'm sure the Boy Scout Manual is vastly
> > superior to the Bible, but still the gaps in its coverage are just too
> > great.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> If you had an Encyclopedia Britanica and a Oxford English Dictionary,
> You would have a good start.

Oh I think that would be information overload for these dimwits. They
need some sort of semi-concise philosophical book on life, death,
marriage and parenting. Maybe Erma Bombeck crossed with Andy Rooney,
but without the humor.

Apostate

未讀,
2005年8月23日 凌晨12:35:252005/8/23
收件者:

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" comes to mind.

--
/Apostate
alt.atheist #1931 I've found it!

e-mail to lower-case only

Michael Gray

未讀,
2005年8月23日 清晨6:32:472005/8/23
收件者:
On 22 Aug 2005 19:19:05 -0700, "Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> wrote:

How about nothing at all?

Daniel T.

未讀,
2005年8月23日 清晨6:58:312005/8/23
收件者:
"Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I considered Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" my bible for a while. It has lots of
history in it... I also think the Tipitaka (Buddhist Bible) would work
well as a "secular bible", sufficiently mystical but still with quite a
bit of reasoning.

MarkA

未讀,
2005年8月23日 清晨7:34:022005/8/23
收件者:

Deteriorata works for me!:

You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.....
Deteriorata! Deteriorata!

Go placidly
Amid the noise and waste.
And remember what comfort there may be
In owning a piece thereof.

Avoid quiet and passive persons
Unless you are in need of sleep.

Rotate your tires.

Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself
And heed well their advice,
Even though they be turkeys.

Know what to kiss.....and when!

Consider that two wrongs never make a right
But that THREE.........do.

Wherever possible, put people on hold.

Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment
And despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Chorus

You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Remember the Pueblo.

Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mu-ti-late.

Know yourself.
If you need help, call the FBI.

Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you.
That lemon on your left, for instance.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.

Fall not in love therefore;
It will stick to your face.

Gracefully surrender the things of youth:
The birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan
And let not the sands of time
Get in your lunch.

Hire people with hooks.

For a good time call 606-4311;
Ask for "Ken."

Take heart amid the deepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.

And reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot
It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

Chorus

You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Therefore, make peace with your god
Whatever you conceive him to be---
Hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.

With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal
The world continues to deteriorate.

GIVE UP!

Reprise

You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Lyrics by Tony Hendra.

--
MarkA
(still caught in the maze of twisty little passages, all different)

Douglas Berry

未讀,
2005年8月23日 上午8:33:302005/8/23
收件者:
On 22 Aug 2005 19:19:05 -0700, "Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> drained
his beer, leaned back in the alt.atheism beanbag and drunkenly
proclaimed the following

>Any other ideas?

"The Art of War" - Sun Tzu.

Actually, I've found that the only ethical advice one needs to live by
is one found in most cultures: The Golden Rule. "Treat others as you
would be treated."
--

Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

Liz

未讀,
2005年8月23日 上午8:39:112005/8/23
收件者:
On 22 Aug 2005 19:19:05 -0700, "Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> in news
message <1124763545.9...@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> wrote:

The Oxford English Dictionary (for English speakers, of course)

Überwench #658 Now a *real* atheist!

Dame Liz the Undaunted Ath.D BAAWA
Charter Member of SMASH
and Queen of the known universe

Fred Stone

未讀,
2005年8月23日 上午8:49:292005/8/23
收件者:
"Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Machiavelli's "The Prince".

--
Fred Stone
aa# 1369

Christopher A. Lee

未讀,
2005年8月23日 上午9:01:272005/8/23
收件者:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:33:30 GMT, Douglas Berry
<pengu...@mindOBVIOUSspring.com> wrote:

>On 22 Aug 2005 19:19:05 -0700, "Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> drained
>his beer, leaned back in the alt.atheism beanbag and drunkenly
>proclaimed the following
>
>>Any other ideas?
>
>"The Art of War" - Sun Tzu.
>
>Actually, I've found that the only ethical advice one needs to live by
>is one found in most cultures: The Golden Rule. "Treat others as you
>would be treated."

Which Christians interpret as "if I weren't Christian I'd want to be
converted".

The problem with the Golden Rule is that it is a simplistic,
one-size-fits-all for people who need a rule to tell them how to
behave towards others.

It puts them in the other guy's position as themselves, not the other
guy.

Bernard Shaw said "Don't do to the other person what you would like
done to yourself, their tastes might different".

zambon...@knowshpamatyahoo.com

未讀,
2005年8月23日 上午9:10:162005/8/23
收件者:

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that
man."

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're
an astronaut on the moon and you fear that your partner has been
turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces,
wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call
you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think
again, bat man."

Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is
why several of us died of tuberculosis.

...etc.

--

zamboni #2139

BAAWA Assistant to the Vice-Administrator of Malevolence
EAC Tertiary Adjunct to the Dispenser of Obfuscation.

firel...@hotmail.com

未讀,
2005年8月23日 上午9:24:462005/8/23
收件者:

Dave wrote:
> WCB wrote:
> > Dave wrote:
<snip>

> > > Now we know this is all a crock, but what rational non-religious text
> > > could the dimwits consult for such comprehensive advice with a secular
> > > perspective?
<snip>

> > > Any other ideas?
> >

> > If you had an Encyclopedia Britanica and a Oxford English Dictionary,
> > You would have a good start.
>
> Oh I think that would be information overload for these dimwits. They
> need some sort of semi-concise philosophical book on life, death,
> marriage and parenting. Maybe Erma Bombeck crossed with Andy Rooney,
> but without the humor.

Ben Franklin's "Poor Richard" writings.

Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

Dave

未讀,
2005年8月23日 上午10:48:422005/8/23
收件者:

In that case nothing is changed. The Bible retains its position. The
Koran retains its position. The dimwits keep pretending.

Ben Goren

未讀,
2005年8月23日 中午12:28:182005/8/23
收件者:
Christopher A. Lee wrote:

> Douglas Berry wrote:
>
>> Actually, I've found that the only ethical advice one needs to
>> live by is one found in most cultures: The Golden Rule. "Treat
>> others as you would be treated."
>
> Which Christians interpret as "if I weren't Christian I'd want
> to be converted".

Exactly. It's the Golden Rule placed supreme that gave Torquemada
the moral excuse to do what he did. After all, what's a few weeks
of earthly torture compared with the eternal damnation of Hell?

And that's why, in my own moral code, I place as the first rule,
``Do not do unto others as they do not wish to be done unto
(except as minimally necessary to prevent them from breaking this
rule).'' You can defend yourself or others, in an effective
manner--but you can't use that as an excuse to go beyond simple
defense to do whatever it was that you wanted to do in the first
place. The current war in Iraq is a perfect example of an abuse of
the Exception.

/Then,/ secondary to that, comes the Golden Rule, which serves as
the foundation for cooperation, society, etc.--but I make a point
to note that, the more important it is that you would have
somebody do something for you, the more important it is that you
do that thing for others. (If you come across somebody bleeding to
death on the street, the /only/ thing that matters to you right
then and there is doing whatever you can to help that person
(assuming you're a sane person who would want similar help if you
were the one bleeding).)

Finally, do whatever you want to do, so long as it doesn't violate
the other two rules and doesn't hurt anybody. Of course, the wise
person will note that you have to balance your wants and
desires. Sure, you may want to get roaring drunk tonight, and
that's fine and dandy and your business if you do. But if you also
want to climb a mountain tomorrow, and if climbing that mountain
is more important to you than getting drunk, then it would be
prudent to put off the drunkenness until some other time.

Cheers,

b&

--
BAAWA Knight of Blasphemy
All but God can prove this sentence true.

Bobby D. Bryant

未讀,
2005年8月23日 下午1:03:022005/8/23
收件者:

The real question is, why is a book needed for this kind of thing?
What makes it special when you put it in a book?

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Dave

未讀,
2005年8月23日 下午2:21:162005/8/23
收件者:

I think there are several reasons. A book encapsulates the material.
The name of the book then defines the material. Christians pretend to
have a superior morality simply because they have a book to point at,
even though obviously they've never read parts of it. In that manner
the book becomes a declaration of beliefs and the moral code of
conduct. I don't consider the so called humanist manifestos to be
adequate or even well-written.

Conspiracy of Doves

未讀,
2005年8月23日 下午2:36:562005/8/23
收件者:
Why not humor? Things are always easier to take if they aren't serious
all the time.

Apostate

未讀,
2005年8月23日 下午3:11:552005/8/23
收件者:
to the subject theme, not necessarily any post thereunder

How 'bout *actual* toilet paper?

Apostate

未讀,
2005年8月23日 下午3:09:532005/8/23
收件者:

It cuts down on recitation/memorization time pretty considerably.
</Fahrenheit 451, or whichever temperature>

Spliffard

未讀,
2005年8月23日 下午3:39:132005/8/23
收件者:
The anarchist cookbook ?

Spliffard

WCB

未讀,
2005年8月23日 下午4:01:352005/8/23
收件者:
Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

Books condense the wisdom of those who know why the
old ways are evil.

The fool does not learn from his mistakes.
The smart man learns from his mistakes.
The wise man learns from others' mistakes.

Our forefathers had their books and it wasn't the bible.
Thinkers like Locke, Hobbes, Kant, and others.
Today's average American lout can't even struggle through
the bible, much less Kant.
Spinoza does not translate well to ranting sermons.
Hume cannot compete with lame reality TV shows for
semiliterate, mouth breathing morons.

nJb

未讀,
2005年8月23日 晚上9:12:272005/8/23
收件者:
I grew up in a poor family. Sometimes we had to use a piece of newspaper.

--
Jack

Plonked by Native American

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/

Andrew

未讀,
2005年8月23日 晚上11:45:242005/8/23
收件者:

"WCB" <wbar...@Mungggedd.mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message

Extremely good advice

> Our forefathers had their books and it wasn't the bible.
> Thinkers like Locke, Hobbes, Kant, and others.
> Today's average American lout can't even struggle through
> the bible, much less Kant.
> Spinoza does not translate well to ranting sermons.
> Hume cannot compete with lame reality TV shows for
> semiliterate, mouth breathing morons.
>
> --
>
> Xenu is around and about,
> mention Hubbard, Xenu pops out!
> No way for the clams to stamp Xenu out,
> Xenu is around and about!
>
> Cheerful Charlie

So why are you calling the majority that do not agree with your worldview
"morons"... Why such an elistist attitute. It almost sounds Fundie
Christian intollerent to me...

- Andrew

robpar

未讀,
2005年8月24日 上午10:59:392005/8/24
收件者:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:12:27 -0600, nJb <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I grew up in a poor family. Sometimes we had to use a piece of newspaper.

We got a Sears, Montgomery Ward, and J. C. Penny catalogues. Mom cut
out all the good pictures, and put the rest in the Privy.

Apostate

未讀,
2005年8月24日 中午12:46:052005/8/24
收件者:

You had a privy? You were lucky.

We had to hike half a mile, go into the woods, and use leaves.
And it was a poison sumac forest.

Charles & Mambo Duckman

未讀,
2005年8月24日 晚上7:47:062005/8/24
收件者:
Apostate wrote:

>>>I grew up in a poor family. Sometimes we had to use a piece of newspaper.
>>
>> We got a Sears, Montgomery Ward, and J. C. Penny catalogues. Mom cut
>>out all the good pictures, and put the rest in the Privy.
>

> You had a privy? You were lucky.
>
> We had to hike half a mile, go into the woods, and use leaves.
> And it was a poison sumac forest.

Luxury! We had to crawl on our backs, backward, for five thousand miles to
the nearest surgeon who would surgically open our ingrown rectums every day,
for this we'd have to sell a kidney each time, then we'd crawl on our knees
five thousand more miles to the recycled biologically toxic glass depot
where we'd take a dump, wipe off with the shards of broken glass and then
ten German nuns would rub salt in our open wounds, barbecue us for ten
hours, eat us, shit us out, genetically clone us from the shit and repeat
the process every time.

--
Come down off the cross
We can use the wood

Tom Waits, Come On Up To The House

Apostate

未讀,
2005年8月24日 晚上9:28:302005/8/24
收件者:

You had me going, right up until the German nuns.

Gail Futoran

未讀,
2005年8月24日 晚上10:15:082005/8/24
收件者:
"Enkidu the Atheist" <jdwn...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> "Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1124763545.952841.291090
> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>> So we have the Bible, which the dimwits claim contains so much wisdom
>> that it tells them virtually everything they need to know about living
>> their lives. In the Middle-East we have the Koran, which the dimwits
>> claim contains so much wisdom it tells them everything they need to
>> live their lives, and if it doesn't there are supplemental holy texts
>> which fill in every detail.
>>
>> Now we know this is all a crock, but what rational non-religious text
>> could the dimwits consult for such comprehensive advice with a secular
>> perspective? Does any such book exist? My first thought was the Boy
>> Scout Manual, but then I realized it wasn't secular and doesn't discuss
>> parenting or a lot of basic things that the dimwits will definitely ask
>> beyond how to pitch a tent. I'm sure the Boy Scout Manual is vastly
>> superior to the Bible, but still the gaps in its coverage are just too
>> great.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>

> The "White Pages" has as much wisdom and a better story line.
>
> --
> Enkidu AA#2165
> EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,
> ULC, Modesto, CA
> PGP ID: 0xC4CE8CF0
>
> In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people
> very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move.
> -Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I think the Junior Woodchuck Manual (better known
as the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook) would qualify.

http://duckman.pettho.com/characters/guideb.html
http://www.salimbeti.com/paperinik/en/city.htm

It's non-religious (at a guess)
It's written by, for and about ducks
It's comprehensive (I don't recall an instance when
the Junior Woodchucks failed to find an
answer to a question using the Guidebook)
It's infallible (can a book be infallible, or only people/
imaginary beings?) - anyhoo, it's truthful and accurate,
whatever that means
It's unabashedly fictional - no excuses (unlike
the bible)
If there are inconsistencies no one's found them

Downside: Apparently its distribution and use
are limited to actual Junior Woodchucks. I'm
thinking of a species-change operation to quality.

Gail
aa#2247

nJb

未讀,
2005年8月24日 晚上11:35:402005/8/24
收件者:
robpar wrote:

The garter belts were my favorite section. Starched many a page.

R. Pierce Butler

未讀,
2005年8月24日 晚上11:44:532005/8/24
收件者:
Apostate <apostate.in...@yeehaw.org> wrote in

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:47:06 -0700, Charles & Mambo Duckman
> <duc...@gfy.slf> wrote:

>>> You had a privy? You were lucky.
>>>
>>> We had to hike half a mile, go into the woods, and use leaves.
>>> And it was a poison sumac forest.
>>
>>Luxury! We had to crawl on our backs, backward, for five thousand miles
>>to the nearest surgeon who would surgically open our ingrown rectums
>>every day, for this we'd have to sell a kidney each time, then we'd
>>crawl on our knees five thousand more miles to the recycled biologically
>>toxic glass depot where we'd take a dump, wipe off with the shards of
>>broken glass and then ten German nuns would rub salt in our open wounds,
>>barbecue us for ten hours, eat us, shit us out, genetically clone us
>>from the shit and repeat the process every time.
>
> You had me going, right up until the German nuns.

He had me right until the cloning part. No one has cloned a human yet. At
least they havent admitted it publicly.

rj

robpar

未讀,
2005年8月25日 中午12:13:512005/8/25
收件者:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:35:40 -0600, nJb <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>robpar wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:12:27 -0600, nJb <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I grew up in a poor family. Sometimes we had to use a piece of newspaper.
>>

>> We got a Sears, Montgomery Ward, and J. C. Penny catalogues. Mom cut
>> out all the good pictures, and put the rest in the Privy.
>
>The garter belts were my favorite section. Starched many a page.

I liked the panties, spent hours dreaming about what they hid,
reality sucks. Nothing but a smelly hole surrounded by hair.

stoney

未讀,
2005年8月28日 下午2:43:552005/8/28
收件者:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:12:27 -0600, nJb <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I grew up in a poor family. Sometimes we had to use a piece of newspaper.

You had newspaper???!!!!! Golly!

--

Contempt of Congress meter reading-offscale.
Hello, theocracy with a fundamentalist US Supreme

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president
represents, more and more closely, the inner soul
of the people. On some great and glorious day the
plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
desire at last and the White House will be adorned
by a downright moron." --- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Religion is the original war crime.
-Michelle Malkin (Feb 26, 2005)

stoney

未讀,
2005年8月28日 下午2:44:462005/8/28
收件者:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:47:06 -0700, Charles & Mambo Duckman
<duc...@gfy.slf> wrote:

Which took up the first thirty seconds of the day....

stoney

未讀,
2005年8月28日 下午2:46:122005/8/28
收件者:

That's all they can do.

stoney

未讀,
2005年8月28日 下午2:53:462005/8/28
收件者:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:33:30 GMT, Douglas Berry
<pengu...@mindOBVIOUSspring.com> wrote:

>On 22 Aug 2005 19:19:05 -0700, "Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> drained
>his beer, leaned back in the alt.atheism beanbag and drunkenly
>proclaimed the following
>
>>Any other ideas?
>
>"The Art of War" - Sun Tzu.
>

>Actually, I've found that the only ethical advice one needs to live by
>is one found in most cultures: The Golden Rule. "Treat others as you
>would be treated."

Since Christians are into S&M/B&D all others are as well-according to
the flawed 'Golden Rule.'

/quote
>On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 12:16:25 -0400, raven1
><psyched...@flashmail.com> wrote:

>>The Silver Rule is much more useful ("Do *not* do unto others as
>>you would *not* have done unto you").

/quote

stoney

未讀,
2005年8月28日 下午2:55:002005/8/28
收件者:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:39:11 GMT, Liz <ehu...@donotspam.com> wrote:

>On 22 Aug 2005 19:19:05 -0700, "Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> in news

>message <1124763545.9...@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>>So we have the Bible, which the dimwits claim contains so much wisdom
>>that it tells them virtually everything they need to know about living
>>their lives. In the Middle-East we have the Koran, which the dimwits
>>claim contains so much wisdom it tells them everything they need to
>>live their lives, and if it doesn't there are supplemental holy texts
>>which fill in every detail.
>>
>>Now we know this is all a crock, but what rational non-religious text
>>could the dimwits consult for such comprehensive advice with a secular
>>perspective? Does any such book exist? My first thought was the Boy
>>Scout Manual, but then I realized it wasn't secular and doesn't discuss
>>parenting or a lot of basic things that the dimwits will definitely ask
>>beyond how to pitch a tent. I'm sure the Boy Scout Manual is vastly
>>superior to the Bible, but still the gaps in its coverage are just too
>>great.
>>
>>Any other ideas?
>

>The Oxford English Dictionary (for English speakers, of course)

The American Heritage Dictionary (for American speakers, of course)

(eyes dance)

stoney

未讀,
2005年8月28日 下午2:55:352005/8/28
收件者:
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:10:16 -0500, zambon...@knowshpamatyahoo.com
wrote:

>On 22 Aug 2005 19:19:05 -0700, "Dave" <gal...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>So we have the Bible, which the dimwits claim contains so much wisdom
>>that it tells them virtually everything they need to know about living
>>their lives. In the Middle-East we have the Koran, which the dimwits
>>claim contains so much wisdom it tells them everything they need to
>>live their lives, and if it doesn't there are supplemental holy texts
>>which fill in every detail.
>>
>>Now we know this is all a crock, but what rational non-religious text
>>could the dimwits consult for such comprehensive advice with a secular
>>perspective? Does any such book exist? My first thought was the Boy
>>Scout Manual, but then I realized it wasn't secular and doesn't discuss
>>parenting or a lot of basic things that the dimwits will definitely ask
>>beyond how to pitch a tent. I'm sure the Boy Scout Manual is vastly
>>superior to the Bible, but still the gaps in its coverage are just too
>>great.
>>
>>Any other ideas?
>

>Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
>
>"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that
>man."
>
>Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're
>an astronaut on the moon and you fear that your partner has been
>turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces,
>wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call
>you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think
>again, bat man."
>
>Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is
>why several of us died of tuberculosis.

Ouch....

Rev. Karl E. Taylor

未讀,
2005年8月28日 下午4:34:332005/8/28
收件者:
stoney wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:12:27 -0600, nJb <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>I grew up in a poor family. Sometimes we had to use a piece of newspaper.
>

> You had newspaper???!!!!! Golly!

You were lucky.

"There where 150 of us living in shoe box, in middle of the road"

--
There are none more ignorant and useless,
than they that seek answers on their knees,

A.A #1143 http://azhotops.blogspot.com/

Apostle of Dr. Lao EAC: Virgin Conversion Unit Director

stoney

未讀,
2005年9月1日 凌晨1:21:462005/9/1
收件者:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:34:33 -0700, "Rev. Karl E. Taylor"
<ktay...@getnet.net> wrote:

>stoney wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:12:27 -0600, nJb <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I grew up in a poor family. Sometimes we had to use a piece of newspaper.
>>

>> You had newspaper???!!!!! Golly!

>You were lucky.
>
>"There where 150 of us living in shoe box, in middle of the road"

WOW! Both a road and a shoe box! Palacial quarters.

Shrikeback

未讀,
2005年9月1日 凌晨1:34:362005/9/1
收件者:
The tao that can be put into words is not the true tao.

Shrikeback

未讀,
2005年9月1日 凌晨1:34:452005/9/1
收件者: