What Are They Praying For At VTech?

Skip to the first unread message

quibbler

18 Apr 2007, 21:15:2318/04/2007
Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.
They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for? Surely they
don't expect their bogus god to raise any students from the dead. And
obviously god didn't care to intervene to stop the event. So what is it
that they imagine god will do for them, given his refusal to do jack
shit so far? I mean, I know I'm not being sensitive, at this point, you
would think that college students might start to clue into the fact that
prayer isn't fucking working here. All it accomplishes is wasting their
time.
Now perhaps they will say that prayer makes them feel better. But I'm
not sure why it would, given that it appears so impotent to accomplish
anything. Maybe these people just like talking to themselves and
pretending that they are talking to their imaginary buddy jebus. Why
should it make anyone feel any better to babble to jebus about all the
problems that gawd has no intention of fixing? Is it a substitute for
psychotherapy? Why don't they try talking to another person, rather
than an imaginary god? At least another person can talk back, and
participate in the conversation. Perhaps if people like Cho had learned
to talk to other people then he could have dealt with his mental
problems. Unfortunately, delusional theists are not in such a different
position from full-blown fruit-cakes like Cho (who appears to have been
a god-boy himself). Their time would be better spent dialoging with
other people, rather than mouthing moronic prayers. After all, if their
god knows everything, why should it be necessary to "inform" him of your
wishes? That doesn't even include the issue of asking an all-knowing
being to modify his alleged perfect plans on account of what some snot-
nose freshman frat-rat at VTech might need in terms of passing a final
or dodging a bullet.

--
Quibbler (quibbler247atyahoo.com)
"It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the

Stan-O

18 Apr 2007, 22:18:1218/04/2007
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0600, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I've got a big problem with the way the media has prioritized this
tragic event. 32 people are dead at the hands of a madman, yet 45
Iraqis, (among several thousand since Bush's war started) were killed
the day before. Has the news profiled even one Iraqi victim? Have they
shown who they were or what accomplishments will never be achieved?
Have they profiled any suicide bomber to show the madness that
possesses them to commit the very same act of mass murder that was
committed at Virginia Tech?

Santolina chamaecyparissus

18 Apr 2007, 22:31:3018/04/2007
On Apr 18, 7:18 pm, Stan-O <lct...@ungo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0600, quibbler <quibbler...@yahoo.com>

[sigh] If only a white girl was missing, then we wouldn't have to hear
about either story.

Greywolf

18 Apr 2007, 22:41:2318/04/2007

"quibbler" <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.
> They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
> the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for?

I know, I know. It's as ... I've got to watch my tongue here and show some
sensitivity ... but damn it's downright *stupid* to be asking an imaginary,
make-believe deity to do *anything*!

I've come to the conclusion that when you hear some these people say, 'Our
thoughts and prayers are with ...', they really mean just 'thought's. The
'prayers' part is just a meaningless, vestigial, and now 'traditional' thing
to say in time of tragedy. Only a buffoon could possibly think that
'praying' could change a damn thing. And even if one is fervently praying
for a grievously wounded victim and that victim survives surgery and lives;
what on *earth* could prove it was solely due to 'prayer' and nothing else?
Also; what about when all that praying leads to nothing more than the news
that the victim died? What is *that* supposed to teach us?

Surely they
> don't expect their bogus god to raise any students from the dead.

Nope. They surely don't.

And
> obviously god didn't care to intervene to stop the event.

Nope. Make-believe 'God' and his male offshoot surely didn't.

So what is it
> that they imagine god will do for them, given his refusal to do jack
> shit so far?

Comfort them. But as we all know it is *always* friends, family, and caring
strangers who do the 'comforting'. Not imaginary 'God'. But he sometimes
gets the credit for it anyway.

I mean, I know I'm not being sensitive, at this point, you
> would think that college students might start to clue into the fact that
> prayer isn't fucking working here.

I guess if it somehow gives them *some* measure of 'comfort', it's worth
'praying'. We humans do pretty irrational things at times. As far as being
insensitve, I thought President Bush was using his power of the 'lectern' to
promote religion when he injected the words 'A loving God' in his speech to
the nation. What a surge of outrage arose in me when I heard the piece of
crap utter those words. You would think that those words were an obscene
'mockery' in reference to those slaughtered. But as we all know, the utter
irony of those words just sailed over most listeners heads.

All it accomplishes is wasting their
> time.
> Now perhaps they will say that prayer makes them feel better. But I'm
> not sure why it would, given that it appears so impotent to accomplish
> anything. Maybe these people just like talking to themselves and
> pretending that they are talking to their imaginary buddy jebus. Why
> should it make anyone feel any better to babble to jebus about all the
> problems that gawd has no intention of fixing? Is it a substitute for
> psychotherapy?

In a word, 'Yes'. Of sorts.

Why don't they try talking to another person, rather
> than an imaginary god?

They do. And that's how they are comforted to a degree. Talking or praying
to the 'Lord' is just another way of 'venting'. They don't *really* expect
the 'Lord' to talk back to them. *If*, hypotethetically speaking, the 'Lord'
*did* talk back to them, they'd absolutely you know what in their pants.
It's all 'theatre' and make-believe. It's ritual.

At least another person can talk back, and
> participate in the conversation. Perhaps if people like Cho had learned
> to talk to other people then he could have dealt with his mental
> problems. Unfortunately, delusional theists are not in such a different
> position from full-blown fruit-cakes like Cho (who appears to have been
> a god-boy himself). Their time would be better spent dialoging with
> other people, rather than mouthing moronic prayers. After all, if their
> god knows everything, why should it be necessary to "inform" him of your
> wishes? That doesn't even include the issue of asking an all-knowing
> being to modify his alleged perfect plans on account of what some snot-
> nose freshman frat-rat at VTech might need in terms of passing a final
> or dodging a bullet.

Well, if you listen to some of these TV Evangelists, it was 'God's plan' for
them to get slaughtered. And the reason *why* he chose for them to die the
way they did is something only (imaginary) 'God' knows and not for any
impertinent mortal to question.

You just hope death came quickly to them and that any suffering was kept to
the tiniest amount possible.

Greywolf

t1gercat

18 Apr 2007, 23:04:4418/04/2007
On Apr 18, 9:15 pm, quibbler <quibbler...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.
> They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
> the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for? Surely they
> don't expect their bogus god to raise any students from the dead. And
> obviously god didn't care to intervene to stop the event. So what is it
> that they imagine god will do for them, given his refusal to do jack
> shit so far? I mean, I know I'm not being sensitive, at this point, you
> would think that college students might start to clue into the fact that
> prayer isn't fucking working here. All it accomplishes is wasting their
> time.

Here's something really insensitive.

> Now perhaps they will say that prayer makes them feel better. But I'm
> not sure why it would, given that it appears so impotent to accomplish
> anything. Maybe these people just like talking to themselves and
> pretending that they are talking to their imaginary buddy jebus.

I think the impulse is more obnoxious than that. Every time some sort
of school tragedy occurs, whether it's a mass shooting or just an
accident that kills one or two students, the airwaves are flooded with
images of conspicuously grief-stricken students bawling and hugging
one another.

When I was in high school back in the 60s, before the media started
lavishly advertizing grief and sorrow, one of my schoolmates -- a very
popular and athletic fellow -- died in a particularly odd way. He was
in an accident on a narrow road bordered by woods. His car went off
the road and he was knocked unconcious, but not fatally hurt. The
night, however, was very cold and he froze to death. We all went to
his funeral, but not having been schooled in how we should act -- as
TV does these days -- we all acted with restraint and normalcy. No one
was hugging or crying. Most of us were just a bit saddened and shocked
at the frailty of life, but psychologists and mourning counselors
didn't descend upon us. No preachers burdened us with their smarmy
invocations and silly prayers.

I think the public mourning is phoney, an attention-getting scam.
Christians especially are wont to make asses of themselves, and their
prayers are aimed less at relieving tension than on turning the event
into a Christian circus, making a show and attracting new converts. I
just don't buy any of it. I think the students who were really hurt
and traumatized probably avoided all that, huddled together and tried
to keep the shakes away. The real survivors are the ones to be watched
and pitied. The public keeners who welter in grief, who warble prayers
and light candles are in it for the show.

Chris H. Fleming

19 Apr 2007, 03:23:1219/04/2007
On Apr 18, 9:15 pm, quibbler <quibbler...@yahoo.com> wrote:

These are just my opinions:

They pray to keep hold of their illusion that everything's going to be
okay. I feel pity for them and I do not make fun of it.

I was at a funeral and a relative said "if you really believe in god,
then a funeral shouldn't be sad because that person is in heaven". I
just said "yeah". I don't have the heart to be honest.

When a person has been living under the assumption of angels and
heaven for decades, it's likely they may no longer be able to deal
with reality. Reality is harsh and without certainty.

Christopher A.Lee

19 Apr 2007, 03:39:5919/04/2007
On 19 Apr 2007 00:23:12 -0700, "Chris H. Fleming"
<chris_h...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>These are just my opinions:
>
>They pray to keep hold of their illusion that everything's going to be
>okay. I feel pity for them and I do not make fun of it.
>
>I was at a funeral and a relative said "if you really believe in god,
>then a funeral shouldn't be sad because that person is in heaven". I
>just said "yeah". I don't have the heart to be honest.
>
>When a person has been living under the assumption of angels and
>heaven for decades, it's likely they may no longer be able to deal
>with reality. Reality is harsh and without certainty.

I've no problem with people believing, so long as it doesn't impact
their behaviour towards the rest of us.

It's their business not ours.

I've got the same attitude towards alcohol, recreational drugs and a
whole slew of other things, even sports fanatics.

Eg if you get high, that's your problem until you get in a car or push
it on those who don't want it.

De Souza and the others are like drunks who turn vicious and lash out
when they're on the juice.

And like them they don't even realise it because it doesn't fit their
self-image.

So they get even nastier when you do unto them as they have already
done to others, let alone just point it out.

Because they think it is unprovoked and out of the blue, not a
reaction.

Jeff Chapman

19 Apr 2007, 08:15:4519/04/2007
"Chris H. Fleming" <chris_h...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 18, 9:15 pm, quibbler <quibbler...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Now perhaps they will say that prayer makes them feel better. But I'm
> > not sure why it would, given that it appears so impotent to accomplish
> > anything. Maybe these people just like talking to themselves and
> > pretending that they are talking to their imaginary buddy jebus.
>
> These are just my opinions:
>
> They pray to keep hold of their illusion that everything's going to be
> okay. I feel pity for them and I do not make fun of it.
>
> I was at a funeral and a relative said "if you really believe in god,
> then a funeral shouldn't be sad because that person is in heaven". I
> just said "yeah". I don't have the heart to be honest.
>
> When a person has been living under the assumption of angels and
> heaven for decades, it's likely they may no longer be able to deal
> with reality. Reality is harsh and without certainty.

When I have lost a relative or a dear friend, I have found that my prayers
are:

"Lord, take away my sorrow"
"Lord, allow this person to pass peacefully unto wherever they are going"
"Lord, absolute balance between me and the deceased"
"Lord, please ease the grief and sorrow of the relatives"

Of course, your mileage may vary. All of the other commenters about skewed
news coverage hold true though; several thousand people die every day
prematurely from respiratory infections (flu and pneumonia) and AIDS. But
then, if it happens every day then it isn't news....

Hatter

19 Apr 2007, 08:33:0719/04/2007
On Apr 18, 10:31 pm, Santolina chamaecyparissus <santol...@juno.com>
wrote:
> about either story.- Hide quoted text -

And if a white media figure made a racist comment, we wouldn't even
have to hear about any of the three.

Hatter

Pangur Ban

19 Apr 2007, 09:43:1919/04/2007
t1gercat was thinking very hard :

And dignity .... with respect for the family who didn't need their
grief worsened by displays of the sort we see today.

>No one
> was hugging or crying. Most of us were just a bit saddened and shocked
> at the frailty of life, but psychologists and mourning counselors
> didn't descend upon us. No preachers burdened us with their smarmy
> invocations and silly prayers.

No convocations at school - no memorials created wherever - or all the
rest of the for-the-media or to-impress-others nonsense.

> I think the public mourning is phoney, an attention-getting scam.

Absolute agreement.

> Christians especially are wont to make asses of themselves, and their
> prayers are aimed less at relieving tension than on turning the event
> into a Christian circus, making a show and attracting new converts. I
> just don't buy any of it. I think the students who were really hurt
> and traumatized probably avoided all that, huddled together and tried
> to keep the shakes away.

I did hear one talking head on CNN say that some students would not
talk to him nor allow pictures of themselves to be taken. These are
the students for whom I have respect, feel compassion, etc.

> The real survivors are the ones to be watched
> and pitied. The public keeners who welter in grief, who warble prayers
> and light candles are in it for the show.

Personally, I find those displays disgusting.

Pangur Ban

--
Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas.
Seneca

duke

19 Apr 2007, 15:36:3119/04/2007
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0600, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.
>They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
>the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for?

Something that you will never be able to understand, quib.

They're praying for the souls of their lost children, and they're praying for
God to help themselves achieve understanding of why such a thing happened and
piece of mind.

Now go play with your doll.

duke, American-American
*****
Pope Paul VI
*****

duke

19 Apr 2007, 15:37:5419/04/2007
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:18:12 -0400, Stan-O <lct...@ungo.com> wrote:

>I've got a big problem with the way the media has prioritized this
>tragic event. 32 people are dead at the hands of a madman, yet 45
>Iraqis, (among several thousand since Bush's war started) were killed
>the day before.

That's Iraqui killing Iraqui.

quibbler

19 Apr 2007, 15:40:2119/04/2007
In article <R3JVh.23223$PL.1...@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
jeffdc...@hotmail.com says...

> "Lord, take away my sorrow"

Your lord could have prevented the sorrow in the first place.

> "Lord, allow this person to pass peacefully unto wherever they are going"

You think that you need to tell your god how to do his job? If he is
all just, then why don't you trust his judgment? If he is not all just
then do you think begging will help?

> "Lord, absolute balance between me and the deceased"

WTF does that mean, assuming that even you know?

> "Lord, please ease the grief and sorrow of the relatives"

Why? First off, what if they want to experience grief. Secondly, god
could have prevented the grief by preventing the tragedy. If we wasn't
willing to do that then what makes you think he will prevent the feeling
of grief? And do you really want to have a tragedy and feel no grief
about it?

> Of course, your mileage may vary.

My mileage requires that the requests actually make some sense and your
prayers don't appear to make any sense for the above reasons. You don't
need to tell god how to do his job and your desire to end grief could be
accomplished in other ways, like god preventing the tragedy. If you
really want to numb yourself to grief then there are many drugs which
are far more effective than prayer.

duke

19 Apr 2007, 15:40:2819/04/2007
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:41:23 -0500, "Greywolf" <grey...@cybrzn.com> wrote:

>I know, I know. It's as ... I've got to watch my tongue here and show some
>sensitivity ... but damn it's downright *stupid* to be asking an imaginary,
>make-believe deity to do *anything*!

Tha'ts because yo don't understand what they're praying for.

You're an atheist, so maybe you can pray to your pet lizard for peace of mind.

>I've come to the conclusion that when you hear some these people say, 'Our
>thoughts and prayers are with ...', they really mean just 'thought's. The
>'prayers' part is just a meaningless, vestigial, and now 'traditional' thing
>to say in time of tragedy.

No, praying for their understanding and peace of mind.

> Only a buffoon could possibly think that
>'praying' could change a damn thing.

ONly a buffoon would think they're praying for a change.

Man, you atheist wannabe's are truly stupid.

duke

19 Apr 2007, 15:42:1619/04/2007
On 18 Apr 2007 20:04:44 -0700, t1gercat <wexfo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> we all acted with restraint and normalcy. No one
>was hugging or crying. Most of us were just a bit saddened and shocked
>at the frailty of life, but psychologists and mourning counselors
>didn't descend upon us. No preachers burdened us with their smarmy
>invocations and silly prayers.

People are much more religious these days then before.

Man, you freaking atheist wannabe's are really nuts.

Broken Drum

19 Apr 2007, 15:44:2819/04/2007
duke <duckg...@cox.net> wrote in news:rehf23p5qje9gnmstdata02sars06mij99
@4ax.com:

> People are much more religious these days then before.

Too bad.

quibbler

19 Apr 2007, 15:58:0419/04/2007
In article <m1hf235h60pubs6gi...@4ax.com>, duckgumbo32
@cox.net says...

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0600, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.
> >They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
> >the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for?
>
> Something that you will never be able to understand, quib.
>
> They're praying for the souls

There no credible evidence of any such thing.

> of their lost children,

Are you questioning your god's ability to justly treat these
individuals?

> and they're praying for
> God to help themselves achieve understanding of why such a thing happened

Because of a trigger being pulled repeatedly

> and
> piece of mind.

You don't have a mind to begin with, so that's really a moot point, you
fucking moron.

quibbler

19 Apr 2007, 16:38:5019/04/2007
In article <rehf23p5qje9gnmst...@4ax.com>, duckgumbo32
@cox.net says...

> On 18 Apr 2007 20:04:44 -0700, t1gercat <wexfo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > we all acted with restraint and normalcy. No one
> >was hugging or crying. Most of us were just a bit saddened and shocked
> >at the frailty of life, but psychologists and mourning counselors
> >didn't descend upon us. No preachers burdened us with their smarmy
> >invocations and silly prayers.
>
> People are much more religious these days then before.

No, it is quite the reverse actually. Despite all your railing against
it, popular culture sees nothing wrong with living out of wedlock, using
contraception, seeking family planning, abortion, etc. People don't go
to church nearly as much as before. Scandals in the church and the
steady progress of modern science continue to erode its authority.
Religion is dying. It is obsolete technology. People continue to
profess belief even when they can only name one or two of the ten
commandments and never crack a bible. It's only a matter of time before
the majority in the US pluck up the courage to cast off religion, just
as they have done in Europe and other first-world nations.

Uncle Vic

19 Apr 2007, 17:10:5019/04/2007
duke wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:18:12 -0400, Stan-O <lct...@ungo.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got a big problem with the way the media has prioritized this
>> tragic event. 32 people are dead at the hands of a madman, yet 45
>> Iraqis, (among several thousand since Bush's war started) were killed
>> the day before.
>
> That's Iraqui killing Iraqui.

And VT was an American killing Americans. Those subsets both fall
neatly into the set called Humanity. Are you saying you don't give a
shit about humans, or are Americans all you care about?

--

Uncle Vic

Uncle Vic

19 Apr 2007, 17:17:1019/04/2007
duke wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:41:23 -0500, "Greywolf" <grey...@cybrzn.com> wrote:
>
>> I know, I know. It's as ... I've got to watch my tongue here and show some
>> sensitivity ... but damn it's downright *stupid* to be asking an imaginary,
>> make-believe deity to do *anything*!
>
> Tha'ts because yo don't understand what they're praying for.
>
> You're an atheist, so maybe you can pray to your pet lizard for peace of mind.
>
>> I've come to the conclusion that when you hear some these people say, 'Our
>> thoughts and prayers are with ...', they really mean just 'thought's. The
>> 'prayers' part is just a meaningless, vestigial, and now 'traditional' thing
>> to say in time of tragedy.
>
> No, praying for their understanding and peace of mind.

Does it work? I'm betting that obtaining peace of mind through prayer
works as fast as shaking a lucky rabbit's foot over the victim's head,
or cuddling a voodoo doll that looks like them. Or as fast as extending
your own condolences in their time of need, and spending some quality
time with them, which is something you probably never thought of.

--

Uncle Vic

Uncle Vic

19 Apr 2007, 17:21:0919/04/2007
duke wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2007 20:04:44 -0700, t1gercat <wexfo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> we all acted with restraint and normalcy. No one
>> was hugging or crying. Most of us were just a bit saddened and shocked
>> at the frailty of life, but psychologists and mourning counselors
>> didn't descend upon us. No preachers burdened us with their smarmy
>> invocations and silly prayers.
>
> People are much more religious these days then before.

Not according to the latest polls. There was a spike just after 9-11,
but it's been steadily declining for decades.

--

Uncle Vic

Uncle Vic

19 Apr 2007, 17:28:2919/04/2007
duke wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0600, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.
>> They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
>> the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for?
>
> Something that you will never be able to understand, quib.
>
> They're praying for the souls of their lost children,

Something their lost children never had... Face it, they'll never see
them again. Sad, but true. This has to be worked into their
understanding of this tragedy, or else all you're doing is lying to them
to make them feel better, which is disgraceful.

> and they're praying for
> God to help themselves achieve understanding of why such a thing happened

They need to ask this god where he was when the tragedy happened. A
loving god with the power to stop such a massacre would have done just
that, otherwise he is not a loving god, or he doesn't actually have any
power like you tell us he does. They may also want to wonder why the
god isn't answering any of their questions.

> and
> piece of mind.

Did you just lose a piece of yours?

--

Uncle Vic

Broken Drum

19 Apr 2007, 17:28:1519/04/2007
Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote in

> or else all you're doing is lying to them
> to make them feel better

What's wrong with that?

Christopher A.Lee

19 Apr 2007, 17:34:2819/04/2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:28:15 +0000, Broken Drum <bro...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

It's wrong when it makes them go after those who don't swallow the
lies, like Dinesh d'Souza.

Broken Drum

19 Apr 2007, 17:39:0219/04/2007
Christopher A.Lee <ca...@optonline.net> wrote in

Well, Dinesh d'Souza is an ass.

Greywolf

19 Apr 2007, 18:35:0119/04/2007

"duke" <duckg...@cox.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:41:23 -0500, "Greywolf" <grey...@cybrzn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I know, I know. It's as ... I've got to watch my tongue here and show some
>>sensitivity ... but damn it's downright *stupid* to be asking an
>>imaginary,
>>make-believe deity to do *anything*!
>
> Tha'ts because yo don't understand what they're praying for.

Then why don't you enlighten us as to exactly *what* are the grieving people
praying for. And what do they expect a non-existent deity to do for them
other than to act very, very, very, and even more very non-existent?

> You're an atheist, so maybe you can pray to your pet lizard for peace of
> mind.

I don't have a pet lizard. Could your 'God' break away from being sooo
non-existent for a minute or two to make me happy?

>>I've come to the conclusion that when you hear some these people say, 'Our
>>thoughts and prayers are with ...', they really mean just 'thought's. The
>>'prayers' part is just a meaningless, vestigial, and now 'traditional'
>>thing
>>to say in time of tragedy.
>
> No, praying for their understanding and peace of mind.

Oh, I see. Why a 'God' said to be infinite loving and in love with his
creation could allow such a tragedy to occur *does* need a lot of explaining
and understanding, doesn't it? And what does 'God' tell these people, duke?
That it was his 'divine plan' for the victims to be slaughtered in the way
they were? Is *that* suppose to console the friends, family members and
caring strangers; to comfort them and bring them peace of mind?

>> Only a buffoon could possibly think that
>>'praying' could change a damn thing.
>
> ONly a buffoon would think they're praying for a change.

'Duke', that evil impulse to pull the trigger on those weapons again and
again came from your 'God'. It originated with your 'God' because *your*
imaginary 'God' created the 'evil' that led directly to the killing. If not
from your 'God', duke, from whence?

Okay. I was certainly wrong in implying that those family members, friends,
and caring strangers *were* praying that the tragic events never happened.
The *wished* they never had, instead. I stand corrected. I now officially
declare that I made a mistake.

> Man, you atheist wannabe's are truly stupid.

Stupid, duke? What do you call the person who worships and adores a 'God'
who is said to have murdered every single baby infant, toddler, pregnant
woman, and every mentally retarded individual on planet earth in a murderous
flood -- *and* the deity who a certain 'Holy' book plainly asserts was the
creator of 'evil', duke? A budding Einstein? Or a retarded dipsy-doodle
who -- believe it or not -- refers to himself as 'duke'? What *else* could
you call the said worshipper, adorer, and author of such unspeakable evil,
duke? And, hey! The dip-stick doesn't even have the slightest bit of proof
that the evil entity he worships and adores even exists. Now tell me *that*
isn't out-and-out stupidity!

Greywolf

DanielSan

20 Apr 2007, 02:49:1020/04/2007
duke wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:18:12 -0400, Stan-O <lct...@ungo.com> wrote:
>

>>I've got a big problem with the way the media has prioritized this
>>tragic event. 32 people are dead at the hands of a madman, yet 45
>>Iraqis, (among several thousand since Bush's war started) were killed
>>the day before.
>

> That's Iraqui killing Iraqui.

Iraqi, dave.

* DanielSan -- alt.atheism #2226 *
* "In every country and every age, the priest had *
* been hostile to Liberty." --Thomas Jefferson *

Don Martin

20 Apr 2007, 08:45:4120/04/2007
wrote:

>Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote in

Basing comfort upon lies is probably habit-forming for a society, just
as finding bliss in a narcotic is for an individual.

Through a jaundiced eye darkly--rheum with a view.
The Squeeky Wheel
http://home.comcast.net/~drdonmartin/

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 07:56:3120/04/2007
On Apr 20, 3:40 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:41:23 -0500, "Greywolf" <greyw...@cybrzn.com> wrote:
> >I know, I know. It's as ... I've got to watch my tongue here and show some
> >sensitivity ... but damn it's downright *stupid* to be asking an imaginary,
> >make-believe deity to do *anything*!
>
> Tha'ts because yo don't understand what they're praying for.
>
> You're an atheist, so maybe you can pray to your pet lizard for peace of mind.
>
> >I've come to the conclusion that when you hear some these people say, 'Our
> >thoughts and prayers are with ...', they really mean just 'thought's. The
> >'prayers' part is just a meaningless, vestigial, and now 'traditional' thing
> >to say in time of tragedy.
>
> No, praying for their understanding and peace of mind.
>
> > Only a buffoon could possibly think that
> >'praying' could change a damn thing.
>
> ONly a buffoon would think they're praying for a change.

Right. A smart person realizes that their praying won't change
anything.

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 07:58:1720/04/2007
On Apr 20, 3:42 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2007 20:04:44 -0700, t1gercat <wexford1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > we all acted with restraint and normalcy. No one
> >was hugging or crying. Most of us were just a bit saddened and shocked
> >at the frailty of life, but psychologists and mourning counselors
> >didn't descend upon us. No preachers burdened us with their smarmy
> >invocations and silly prayers.
>
> People are much more religious these days then before.

And if the trend continues we can expect more Christian loons like Cho
to go into schools and slaughter people, right?

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 07:59:3020/04/2007
On Apr 20, 3:58 am, quibbler <quibbler...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <m1hf235h60pubs6gij0nvg2kk7mlfg4...@4ax.com>, duckgumbo32
> @cox.net says...

> > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0600, quibbler <quibbler...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.
> > >They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
> > >the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for?
>
> > Something that you will never be able to understand, quib.
>
> > They're praying for the souls
>
> There no credible evidence of any such thing.
>
> > of their lost children,
>
> Are you questioning your god's ability to justly treat these
> individuals?
>
> > and they're praying for
> > God to help themselves achieve understanding of why such a thing happened
>
> Because of a trigger being pulled repeatedly
>
> > and
> > piece of mind.
>
> You don't have a mind to begin with, so that's really a moot point, you
> fucking moron.

Now, now, quibbler, I'm sure there's a mind in there somewhere waiting
to come out. :)

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 08:03:0120/04/2007
On Apr 20, 5:28 am, Broken Drum <bro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Uncle Vic <addr...@withheld.com> wrote innews:oomdnZmGaqgEQ7rb...@inreach.com:

> > or else all you're doing is lying to them
> > to make them feel better
>
> What's wrong with that?

Thank you. Thank you so much for showing us how religions begin. You
see, to honest people it is completely infathomable why one would lie
just to make people feel better. The fact that you consider it
perfectly okay explains everything.

Martin

quibbler

20 Apr 2007, 10:13:0020/04/2007
In article <1177070370.0...@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
martin...@yahoo.com says...

You might think so, but this is dukkkie we're talking about, so no, there
is no mind in that pea-brain of his.

duke

20 Apr 2007, 14:17:5520/04/2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:10:50 -0700, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:

>>> I've got a big problem with the way the media has prioritized this
>>> tragic event. 32 people are dead at the hands of a madman, yet 45
>>> Iraqis, (among several thousand since Bush's war started) were killed
>>> the day before.

>> That's Iraqui killing Iraqui.

>And VT was an American killing Americans. Those subsets both fall
>neatly into the set called Humanity. Are you saying you don't give a
>shit about humans, or are Americans all you care about?

Are you saying it was ok for what hui did?

duke

20 Apr 2007, 14:19:2520/04/2007
On 20 Apr 2007 04:56:31 -0700, Martin Phipps <martin...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> ONly a buffoon would think they're praying for a change.

>Right. A smart person realizes that their praying won't change
>anything.

Only idiot atheist wannabe's think prayer is to change things.

duke

20 Apr 2007, 14:19:5320/04/2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:44:28 +0000, Broken Drum <bro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> People are much more religious these days then before.
>
>Too bad.

Only for those that don't get it.

duke

20 Apr 2007, 14:22:0920/04/2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:38:50 -0600, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> People are much more religious these days then before.

>No, it is quite the reverse actually. Despite all your railing against
>it, popular culture sees nothing wrong with living out of wedlock, using
>contraception, seeking family planning, abortion, etc.

Popular culture is striving to achieve mass murder, rejection of marriage and
killing one's unborn for one's own comfort and convenience.

Only satan smiles at the fresh meat coming his way.

> People don't go
>to church nearly as much as before.

How many don't?

duke

20 Apr 2007, 14:22:3320/04/2007

cho hui was an atheist.

duke

20 Apr 2007, 14:23:0120/04/2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:21:09 -0700, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:

>> People are much more religious these days then before.
>Not according to the latest polls. There was a spike just after 9-11,
>but it's been steadily declining for decades.

And you atheists worship a pink unicorn.

duke

20 Apr 2007, 14:24:4520/04/2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:58:04 -0600, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Something that you will never be able to understand, quib.
>> They're praying for the souls
>There no credible evidence of any such thing.

What a dumbass thing for you to think. You have no idea what's going on.

>> of their lost children,
>Are you questioning your god's ability to justly treat these
>individuals?

God always answers prayers.

>> and they're praying for
>> God to help themselves achieve understanding of why such a thing happened

>Because of a trigger being pulled repeatedly

Satan is enjoying asian food right now.

>> and
>> piece of mind.
>
>You don't have a mind to begin with, so that's really a moot point, you
>fucking moron.

duke, American-American

duke

20 Apr 2007, 14:26:1420/04/2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:28:29 -0700, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:

>> They're praying for the souls of their lost children,

>Something their lost children never had... Face it, they'll never see
>them again. Sad, but true.

Not in this life, for sure.

>his has to be worked into their
>understanding of this tragedy, or else all you're doing is lying to them
>to make them feel better, which is disgraceful.

I'll go to church, you pour another booze shot.

>> and they're praying for
>> God to help themselves achieve understanding of why such a thing happened

>They need to ask this god where he was when the tragedy happened.

Always the dumbass comment.

firel...@hotmail.com

20 Apr 2007, 14:31:5320/04/2007
On Apr 19, 3:42 pm, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2007 20:04:44 -0700, t1gercat <wexford1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > we all acted with restraint and normalcy. No one
> >was hugging or crying. Most of us were just a bit saddened and shocked
> >at the frailty of life, but psychologists and mourning counselors
> >didn't descend upon us. No preachers burdened us with their smarmy
> >invocations and silly prayers.
>
> People are much more religious these days then before.

Publicly howling with pain is a religious act?

--
Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

JohnN

20 Apr 2007, 14:50:0020/04/2007
On Apr 20, 8:45 am, Don Martin <drdonmar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:28:15 +0000, Broken Drum <bro...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Uncle Vic <addr...@withheld.com> wrote in

> >> or else all you're doing is lying to them
> >> to make them feel better
>
> >What's wrong with that?
>
> Basing comfort upon lies is probably habit-forming for a society, just
> as finding bliss in a narcotic is for an individual.

That's why its called the opiate of the masses.

JohnN

duke

20 Apr 2007, 17:46:2820/04/2007
On 20 Apr 2007 11:31:53 -0700, firel...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> People are much more religious these days then before.
>Publicly howling with pain is a religious act?

No but the current world population worshipping the one God almighty stands at
53%.

Atheists, btw, come in at 2.5%.

Michael Gray

20 Apr 2007, 19:53:2620/04/2007
On 20 Apr 2007 11:50:00 -0700, JohnN <jnor...@hotmail.com> wrote:
- Refer: <1177095000....@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>

No wonder duke attends mass!

Budikka666

20 Apr 2007, 20:24:5720/04/2007
On Apr 19, 4:10 pm, Uncle Vic <addr...@withheld.com> wrote:
> duke wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:18:12 -0400, Stan-O <lct...@ungo.com> wrote:
>
> >> I've got a big problem with the way the media has prioritized this
> >> tragic event. 32 people are dead at the hands of a madman, yet 45
> >> Iraqis, (among several thousand since Bush's war started) were killed
> >> the day before.
>
> > That's Iraqui killing Iraqui.
>
> And VT was an American killing Americans. Those subsets both fall
> neatly into the set called Humanity. Are you saying you don't give a
> shit about humans, or are Americans all you care about?

All that Duck and Run cares about is himself. He's glad the V. Tech
students died because they were trying to eat from the tree of
knowledge - a big no-no in the fundie world. He loves it when god
dramatically wipes out a mass of sinners.

Budikka

DanielSan

20 Apr 2007, 23:09:5820/04/2007
duke wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:21:09 -0700, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:
>

>>>People are much more religious these days then before.
>>
>>Not according to the latest polls. There was a spike just after 9-11,
>>but it's been steadily declining for decades.
>

> And you atheists worship a pink unicorn.

WOOOSH! Right over your head.

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 22:55:4720/04/2007
On Apr 21, 2:19 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2007 04:56:31 -0700, Martin Phipps <martinphip...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> ONly a buffoon would think they're praying for a change.
> >Right. A smart person realizes that their praying won't change
> >anything.
>
> Only idiot [theists] think prayer [can] change things.

Fixed.

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 22:56:2320/04/2007
On Apr 21, 2:19 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:44:28 +0000, Broken Drum <bro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> People are much more religious these days then before.
>
> >Too bad.
>
> Only for those that don't get it.

That describes you to a T.

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 22:57:0220/04/2007
On Apr 21, 2:22 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:38:50 -0600, quibbler <quibbler...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> People are much more religious these days then before.
> >No, it is quite the reverse actually. Despite all your railing against
> >it, popular culture sees nothing wrong with living out of wedlock, using
> >contraception, seeking family planning, abortion, etc.
>
> Popular culture is striving to achieve mass murder, rejection of marriage and
> killing one's unborn for one's own comfort and convenience.
>
> Only satan smiles at the fresh meat coming his way.
>
> > People don't go
> >to church nearly as much as before.
>
> How many don't?

All the intelligent ones.

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 22:58:0020/04/2007
On Apr 21, 2:22 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2007 04:58:17 -0700, Martin Phipps <martinphip...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> People are much more religious these days then before.
>
> >And if the trend continues we can expect more Christian loons like Cho
> >to go into schools and slaughter people, right?
>
> cho hui was [a theist].

Fixed. And it was his theist beliefs that drove him to kill.

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 22:59:0520/04/2007
On Apr 21, 2:23 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:21:09 -0700, Uncle Vic <addr...@withheld.com> wrote:
> >> People are much more religious these days then before.
> >Not according to the latest polls. There was a spike just after 9-11,
> >but it's been steadily declining for decades.
>
> And [us theists] worship a [pixie in the sky].

Fixed.

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 23:00:1820/04/2007
On Apr 21, 2:24 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:58:04 -0600, quibbler <quibbler...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Something that you will never be able to understand, quib.
> >> They're praying for the souls
> >There no credible evidence of any such thing.
>
> What a dumbass thing for you to think. You have no idea what's going on.

Souls don't exist.

> >> of their lost children,
> >Are you questioning your god's ability to justly treat these
> >individuals?
>
> God always answers prayers.

God doesn't exist.

> >> and they're praying for
> >> God to help themselves achieve understanding of why such a thing happened
> >Because of a trigger being pulled repeatedly
>
> Satan is enjoying asian food right now.

Satan doesn't exist.

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 23:01:1620/04/2007
On Apr 21, 2:26 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:28:29 -0700, Uncle Vic <addr...@withheld.com> wrote:
> >> They're praying for the souls of their lost children,
> >Something their lost children never had... Face it, they'll never see
> >them again. Sad, but true.
>
> Not in this life, for sure.
>
> >his has to be worked into their
> >understanding of this tragedy, or else all you're doing is lying to them
> >to make them feel better, which is disgraceful.
>
> I'll go to church, you pour another booze shot.
>
> >> and they're praying for
> >> God to help themselves achieve understanding of why such a thing happened
> >They need to ask this god where he was when the tragedy happened.
>
> Always the dumbass

You should make that your signature.

Martin

Martin Phipps

20 Apr 2007, 23:03:3320/04/2007
On Apr 21, 5:46 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2007 11:31:53 -0700, firelock...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >> People are much more religious these days then before.
> >Publicly howling with pain is a religious act?
>
> No but the current world population worshipping the one God almighty stands at
> 53%.
>
> Atheists, btw, come in at 2.5%.

That is a measure of what percentage of the world is properly
educated.

Martin

Steve O

21 Apr 2007, 02:26:3021/04/2007

"Martin Phipps" <martin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You have a point.
Where I live, we'll be coming up to the marching season in a few months- all
of the religious bigots will be out and about banging their drums and raving
about some battle fought and won a couple of hundred years ago on Juy 12th,
as if it really mattered.
I've been watching Orange Lodge Day Marches since I was eight years old.
The first one I saw, there must have been close to 7-800 people marching,
with full bands and costumes.
These days, they're lucky to get a turn out of more than 80, and were
talking about fervent Orangemen here.
The few that you do see marching these days are old men and their mentally
retarded grandsons.
These people are so terrified of marrying a Catholic they prefer inbreeding,
and it shows.

--
Steve O
a.a. #2240 (Apatheist Chapter)

duke

21 Apr 2007, 13:21:2521/04/2007
On 20 Apr 2007 17:24:57 -0700, Budikka666 <budi...@netscape.net> wrote:

>> And VT was an American killing Americans. Those subsets both fall
>> neatly into the set called Humanity. Are you saying you don't give a
>> shit about humans, or are Americans all you care about?

>All that Duck and Run cares about is himself. He's glad the V. Tech
>students died because they were trying to eat from the tree of
>knowledge - a big no-no in the fundie world. He loves it when god
>dramatically wipes out a mass of sinners.

Bud the dud, now you digressing to the level of the mentally challenged to say
something like that.

Is your embarrassment over the way I put you down re the Genesis genealogy
getting so bad that you have to turn to pure bullshit in your posts?

How horrible you are reduced to wobbly knees to find salvation in your world.

duke

21 Apr 2007, 13:23:3121/04/2007
On 20 Apr 2007 19:58:00 -0700, Martin Phipps <martin...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> cho hui was psychotic and an atheist,

>And it was his theist beliefs that drove him to kill.

He didn't have any theist beliefs, except that he knew Jesus died. Now that's
heavy.

duke

21 Apr 2007, 13:24:2821/04/2007
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:23:26 +0930, Michael Gray <mike...@newsguy.com> wrote:

>>> Basing comfort upon lies is probably habit-forming for a society, just
>>> as finding bliss in a narcotic is for an individual.
>>That's why its called the opiate of the masses.

>No wonder duke attends mass!

I attend Mass because it is the ultimate prayer to God.

Free Lunch

21 Apr 2007, 13:29:3921/04/2007
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:23:31 -0500, in alt.atheism
duke <duckg...@cox.net> wrote in
<72ik239l04leo88uk...@4ax.com>:

>On 20 Apr 2007 19:58:00 -0700, Martin Phipps <martin...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> cho hui was psychotic and an atheist,
>>And it was his theist beliefs that drove him to kill.
>
>He didn't have any theist beliefs, except that he knew Jesus died. Now that's
>heavy.

How do you know this? What evidence was provided to you?

DanielSan

21 Apr 2007, 17:37:4821/04/2007
duke wrote:

>>>That's why its called the opiate of the masses.
>

>>No wonder duke attends mass!
>

> I attend Mass because it is the ultimate prayer to God.

Yes, because God cannot hear you unless you all speak in unison and put
your hands in the air.

I imagine that God must be pretty hard of hearing nowadays with all the
shouts in his ears about the selfish goals of his peoples...including
those that selfishly attack others in order to get a free pass to heaven.

Duke, God is tired of hearing your prayers. You are not going to meet him.

Rick

22 Apr 2007, 05:16:3822/04/2007
quibbler wrote in message ...
>Every fucking goober idiot at VTech

Here's another example of Quibbler's hostility.

>walking around mumbling prayers.
>They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
>the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for? Surely they
>don't expect their bogus god to raise any students from the dead. And
>obviously god didn't care to intervene to stop the event. So what is it
>that they imagine god will do for them, given his refusal to do jack
>shit so far? I mean, I know I'm not being sensitive,

Stop the presses...Quibbler admits the truth!

>at this point, you
>would think that college students might start to clue into the fact that
>prayer isn't fucking working here. All it accomplishes is wasting their
>time.
>Now perhaps they will say that prayer makes them feel better. But I'm
>not sure why it would, given that it appears so impotent to accomplish
>anything. Maybe these people just like talking to themselves and
>pretending that they are talking to their imaginary buddy jebus. Why
>should it make anyone feel any better to babble to jebus about all the
>problems that gawd has no intention of fixing? Is it a substitute for
>psychotherapy? Why don't they try talking to another person, rather
>than an imaginary god?

False dichotomy! Does talking to God(s) preclude the possibility of talking
to others humans? No, it does not.

>At least another person can talk back, and
>participate in the conversation. Perhaps if people like Cho had learned
>to talk to other people then he could have dealt with his mental
>problems.

I suppose you blame that on religion. The guy was seriously mentally ill.
Many people tried to get him to talk over many years.

>Unfortunately, delusional theists are not in such a different
>position from full-blown fruit-cakes like Cho (who appears to have been
>a god-boy himself). Their time would be better spent dialoging with
>other people, rather than mouthing moronic prayers. After all, if their
>god knows everything, why should it be necessary to "inform" him of your
>wishes? That doesn't even include the issue of asking an all-knowing
>being to modify his alleged perfect plans on account of what some snot-
>nose freshman frat-rat at VTech might need in terms of passing a final
>or dodging a bullet.

You really are a hostile human being, Quibbler.

- Rick

DanielSan

22 Apr 2007, 06:18:1022/04/2007
Rick wrote:

> You really are a hostile human being, Quibbler.

So are many theists. So what?

Martin Phipps

22 Apr 2007, 05:20:5722/04/2007
On Apr 22, 1:23 am, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2007 19:58:00 -0700, Martin Phipps <martinphip...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> cho hui was psychotic and an atheist,
> >And it was his theist beliefs that drove him to kill.
>
> He didn't have any theist beliefs, except that he knew Jesus died. Now that's
> heavy.

"Thanks to you I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the
weak and the defenceless people," Cho said

Martin

Rick

22 Apr 2007, 05:43:0722/04/2007
DanielSan wrote in message ...

>Rick wrote:
>

>> You really are a hostile human being, Quibbler.
>
>So are many theists. So what?

It's between Quibbler and me.

BTW, nice red herring you've got there.

- Rick

DanielSan

22 Apr 2007, 06:48:0122/04/2007
Rick wrote:
> DanielSan wrote in message ...
>
>>Rick wrote:
>>

>>>You really are a hostile human being, Quibbler.
>>
>>So are many theists. So what?
>

> It's between Quibbler and me.

This is an unmoderated newsgroup. Don't like it? Don't post. :-)

> BTW, nice red herring you've got there.

Sorry, but it's not a red herring. A red herring is something that
doesn't relate to the issue at hand. You say that Quibbler is a hostile
human being and I'm just showing that there are many hostile beings.
Since they're related, it's not a red herring.

I am not trying to divert attention or change the subject.

Rick

22 Apr 2007, 06:15:3322/04/2007
DanielSan wrote in message ...
>Rick wrote:
>> DanielSan wrote in message ...

>>>So are many theists. So what?
>>

>> It's between Quibbler and me.
>
>This is an unmoderated newsgroup. Don't like it?

Liking it has nothing to do with it. I'm responding to Quibbler's denial of
his true character.

> Don't post. :-)
>
>> BTW, nice red herring you've got there.
>
>Sorry, but it's not a red herring. A red herring is something that
>doesn't relate to the issue at hand.

Precisely my point.

>You say that Quibbler is a hostile
>human being and I'm just showing that there are many hostile beings.
>Since they're related, it's not a red herring.

No. It doesn't address the issue. It only has to do with Quibbler. The rest
of humanity could be hostile, and that would be irrelevant. Quibbler doesn't
want to see himself as hostile. I'm merely pointing to the evidence of his
innate hostility.

>I am not trying to divert attention or change the subject.

Yes you were, and you don't even know what the original subject is.

- Rick

Don Martin

22 Apr 2007, 07:48:0322/04/2007
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 04:43:07 -0500, "Rick"
<pl1_alp...@juNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>DanielSan wrote in message ...
>>Rick wrote:
>>

>>> You really are a hostile human being, Quibbler.
>>
>>So are many theists. So what?
>
>It's between Quibbler and me.

If that is the case, use email. If you insist upon having an audience
for your private sniping (beware the sin of Pride, my son), then you
may confidently expect hecklers on the quality of your shooting.

Through a jaundiced eye darkly--rheum with a view.
The Squeeky Wheel
http://home.comcast.net/~drdonmartin/

Jos Flachs

22 Apr 2007, 09:18:2722/04/2007
<pl1_alp...@juNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>DanielSan wrote in message ...
>>Rick wrote:
>>

>>> You really are a hostile human being, Quibbler.
>>
>>So are many theists. So what?
>
>It's between Quibbler and me.

Tiny correction:
It is between THE NEWSGROUP and you, arsebreath.

Jos Flachs

22 Apr 2007, 09:19:1622/04/2007
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 05:15:33 -0500, "Rick"
<pl1_alp...@juNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Liking it has nothing to do with it. I'm responding to Quibbler's denial of
>his true character.

You have one? How often do you shed it? Once per year, like most
snakes?

Rick

22 Apr 2007, 11:04:0122/04/2007
Jos Flachs wrote in message <53om23p1gtihp9frn...@4ax.com>...

Then maybe THE NEWSGROUP should pay attention to the whole debate. DanielSan
simply doesn't know what he's talking about.

- Rick

Rick

22 Apr 2007, 11:07:2222/04/2007
Don Martin wrote in message ...

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 04:43:07 -0500, "Rick"
><pl1_alp...@juNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>>DanielSan wrote in message ...

>>>So are many theists. So what?
>>
>>It's between Quibbler and me.
>
>If that is the case, use email. If you insist upon having an audience
>for your private sniping (beware the sin of Pride, my son), then you
>may confidently expect hecklers on the quality of your shooting.

This is an unmoderated newsgroup. Don't like what I post? Don't read it.
:-)

- Rick

DanielSan

22 Apr 2007, 15:54:3822/04/2007

So, since the context was snipped, perhaps you can TELL us what this
"whole debate" is about.

AZ Nomad

22 Apr 2007, 15:48:0522/04/2007
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0600, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.

>They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
>the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for? Surely they
>don't expect their bogus god to raise any students from the dead. And
>obviously god didn't care to intervene to stop the event. So what is it

They're not praying a prayer of thanksgiving for their god sending cho to
do such a great job dispatching all those teachers and students?
Don't they give their god credit for everything?

Clothaire

22 Apr 2007, 16:07:1122/04/2007

According to xtian theology, everyone is as lost soul; even if they
are murdered in cold blood. Prayers are still needed to get them into
Heaven. Hint: the Church likes to stay in control.

Clothaire #1392

"Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody
religion that has ever infected the world."--[Voltaire]

Michael Gray

22 Apr 2007, 16:35:2122/04/2007
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:07:22 -0500, "Rick"
<pl1_alp...@juNOSPAM.com> wrote:
- Refer: <3p6dnX7Ki8eD57bb...@giganews.com>

Wise advice for once.
Into the plonk bin with you.

AZ Nomad

22 Apr 2007, 18:18:2822/04/2007
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:07:11 -0400, Clothaire <clot...@ieee.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:48:05 GMT, AZ Nomad
><azno...@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote:

>>On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0600, quibbler <quibb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Every fucking goober idiot at VTech walking around mumbling prayers.
>>>They say that they're praying for the families, for example. But what
>>>the fuck is it that they could possibly be asking god for? Surely they
>>>don't expect their bogus god to raise any students from the dead. And
>>>obviously god didn't care to intervene to stop the event. So what is it
>>
>>They're not praying a prayer of thanksgiving for their god sending cho to
>>do such a great job dispatching all those teachers and students?
>>Don't they give their god credit for everything?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>According to xtian theology, everyone is as lost soul; even if they
>are murdered in cold blood. Prayers are still needed to get them into
>Heaven. Hint: the Church likes to stay in control.

Just think of all those souls cho dispatched early. Praise the Lord!

firel...@hotmail.com

23 Apr 2007, 08:48:0923/04/2007
On Apr 20, 5:46 pm, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2007 11:31:53 -0700, firelock...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >> People are much more religious these days then before.
> >Publicly howling with pain is a religious act?
>
> No but the current world population worshipping the one God almighty stands at
> 53%.
>
> Atheists, btw, come in at 2.5%.

I wouldn't put too much faith in your argument from
popularity, duke - considering that the vast majority
of humans don't worship like you do. Christians are
what, 32% and dropping?

--
Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

duke

23 Apr 2007, 18:29:4223/04/2007
On 23 Apr 2007 05:48:09 -0700, firel...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> No but the current world population worshipping the one God almighty stands at
>> 53%.
>> Atheists, btw, come in at 2.5%.

>I wouldn't put too much faith in your argument from
>popularity, duke - considering that the vast majority
>of humans don't worship like you do. Christians are
>what, 32% and dropping?

Dropping where? Europe? Africa is waaaaaaaay making up for those losers.

firel...@hotmail.com

24 Apr 2007, 01:24:4024/04/2007
On Apr 23, 6:29 pm, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2007 05:48:09 -0700, firelock...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >> No but the current world population worshipping the one God almighty stands at
> >> 53%.
> >> Atheists, btw, come in at 2.5%.
> >I wouldn't put too much faith in your argument from
> >popularity, duke - considering that the vast majority
> >of humans don't worship like you do. Christians are
> >what, 32% and dropping?
>
> Dropping where? Europe? Africa is waaaaaaaay making up for those losers.

Could you direct me to your source for
statistics? And is Africa faster going christian,
or moslem? And then you've still got the little
problem with most of the christians not meeting
your definition of christian, unless you want
them to for support of a particular argument.