OT -- funny story

Bored With the Boring Again

Jan 20, 2002, 7:22:52 PM1/20/02
Got this in email today:

"Power of prayer"

The story is told of a man who got a permit to open the first tavern
in a small town. The members of a local church were strongly opposed
to the bar, so they began to pray that God would intervene.

A few days before the tavern was scheduled to open, lightning hit the
structure and it burned to the ground. The people of the church
were surprised but pleased - until they received notice that the
would-be tavern owner was suing them.

He contended that their prayers were responsible for the burning of
the building. They denied the charge.

At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, the judge wryly
remarked, "At this point I don't know what my decision will be,
but it seems that the tavern owner believes in the power of prayer and
these church people don't."

Erikc (alt.atheist #002) | "An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil."
BAAWA Knight | "The Truth against the World."
| -- Bardic Motto
Awarded title of "Defacto CLuM" by "kansan" 2001-05-12
======
Remove god to respond.
======
At one point in time, many of us actually had Jesus as
our personal lord and saviour. Unfortunately, we later
had to dismiss him for incompetence, gross negligence,
misconduct and consistent failure to show up for work.
======
Religious people believe IN god.
The religious right believes they ARE god.
======
"Hey, who needs a conscience when jeezuz died for our sins?"
-- Ahriman

MEow

Jan 20, 2002, 7:38:29 PM1/20/02
The alien which happened to be occupying the body of
fire...@airmail.net ("Bored With the Boring Again") on Mon, 21 Jan

2002 00:22:52 GMT wrote:

>Got this in email today:
>
>"Power of prayer"
>
>The story is told of a man who got a permit to open the first tavern
>in a small town. The members of a local church were strongly opposed
>to the bar, so they began to pray that God would intervene.
>
>A few days before the tavern was scheduled to open, lightning hit the
>structure and it burned to the ground. The people of the church
>were surprised but pleased - until they received notice that the
>would-be tavern owner was suing them.
>
>He contended that their prayers were responsible for the burning of
>the building. They denied the charge.
>
>At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, the judge wryly
>remarked, "At this point I don't know what my decision will be,
>but it seems that the tavern owner believes in the power of prayer and
>these church people don't."

Thanks! That gave a me good laugh! :0)

--
Nikitta - Female with gender-ambiguous name
Lifelong atheist #1759. EAC - Spanker of Theists

L. Raymond

Jan 20, 2002, 8:14:02 PM1/20/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 00:22:52 GMT, fire...@airmail.net ("Bored With
the Boring Again") wrote:

>Got this in email today:
>
>"Power of prayer"
>
>The story is told of a man who got a permit to open the first tavern
>in a small town. The members of a local church were strongly opposed
>to the bar, so they began to pray that God would intervene.
>
>A few days before the tavern was scheduled to open, lightning hit the
>structure and it burned to the ground. The people of the church
>were surprised but pleased - until they received notice that the
>would-be tavern owner was suing them.
>
>He contended that their prayers were responsible for the burning of
>the building. They denied the charge.
>
>At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, the judge wryly
>remarked, "At this point I don't know what my decision will be,
>but it seems that the tavern owner believes in the power of prayer and
>these church people don't."

This reminds me of an episode of the legal comedy "Night Court" in
which some nuns were being evicted. Every time the landlord said
something in court to annoy them, they started praying really hard and
something bad would happen to the him.

Yang

Jan 20, 2002, 8:09:30 PM1/20/02
the Boring Again") wrote:

>Got this in email today:
>
>"Power of prayer"
>
>The story is told of a man who got a permit to open the first tavern
>in a small town. The members of a local church were strongly opposed
>to the bar, so they began to pray that God would intervene.
>
>A few days before the tavern was scheduled to open, lightning hit the
>structure and it burned to the ground. The people of the church
>were surprised but pleased - until they received notice that the
>would-be tavern owner was suing them.
>
>He contended that their prayers were responsible for the burning of
>the building. They denied the charge.
>
>At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, the judge wryly
>remarked, "At this point I don't know what my decision will be,
>but it seems that the tavern owner believes in the power of prayer and
>these church people don't."

cute

Martin Crisp

Jan 20, 2002, 8:23:38 PM1/20/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:14:02 +1100 the muse struck L. Raymond, who
wrote (in message <3c4b6aed...@news.mylinuxisp.com>):

Have you seen _The Devil's Advocate_? [Keanu Reeves & others whose
names don't stick so well]

Have Fun
Martin
--
aa #(2^8)*(2^3-2^0)
[...]Et sepultus resurrexit; certum est, quia impossibile.

Almost always SMASHed

PGP Key (ID 0xED55A6D0) Fingerprint:
A7C7 F865 B317 ABBB B10E D8AC F4AD 347D ED55 A6D0

L. Raymond

Jan 20, 2002, 10:00:31 PM1/20/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:23:38 +1100, Martin Crisp
<Spam....@tesseract.com.au> wrote:

>> This reminds me of an episode of the legal comedy "Night Court" in
>> which some nuns were being evicted. Every time the landlord said
>> something in court to annoy them, they started praying really hard and
>> something bad would happen to the him.
>
>Have you seen _The Devil's Advocate_? [Keanu Reeves & others whose
>names don't stick so well]

I've never heard of it so I checked IMDB. The first name I saw was
"Al Pacino...John Milton/Lucifer". That made me laugh.
I don't watch many movies, preferring to read. The plot of "Devil's
Advocate" reminds me of a short story in which a man tires to sell his
soul to the law firm of Thanatos, Scratch and Uriel (or something
similar) but the paperwork is incomplete so he hires the paralegal
firm of Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos to act as go-between. By the end
of the story he's having second thoughts and tries to contact the firm
of Seraphim, Cherubim and Saint to assist him.

Angelico

Jan 21, 2002, 6:40:12 AM1/21/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 00:22:52 GMT, while wandering by alt.atheism,
fire...@airmail.net ("Bored With the Boring Again") tapped on my
shoulder and told me:

> Got this in email today:
>
> "Power of prayer"
>
> The story is told of a man who got a permit to open the first tavern
> in a small town. The members of a local church were strongly opposed
> to the bar, so they began to pray that God would intervene.
>
> A few days before the tavern was scheduled to open, lightning hit the
> structure and it burned to the ground. The people of the church
> were surprised but pleased - until they received notice that the
> would-be tavern owner was suing them.
>
> He contended that their prayers were responsible for the burning of
> the building. They denied the charge.
>
> At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, the judge wryly
> remarked, "At this point I don't know what my decision will be,
> but it seems that the tavern owner believes in the power of prayer and
> these church people don't."

<chuckle>

--
Angel Arnal, Valencia, España aa #1443 BAAWA knave aka "Lazarillo"
http://angelico.iespana.es maky m. #(sqrt(5)-1)/2
> I took 1st year high school algebra, which is all a person needs
> to know in order to prove Einstein and his disciples wrong.
> Robert B. Winn
Rules at http://teleline.terra.es/personal/angelarn/comun/jpbaward.htm

Martin Crisp

Jan 21, 2002, 8:08:25 PM1/21/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:00:31 +1100 the muse struck L. Raymond, who
wrote (in message <3c4b7eb2...@news.mylinuxisp.com>):

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:23:38 +1100, Martin Crisp
> <Spam....@tesseract.com.au> wrote:
>

>>> This reminds me of an episode of the legal comedy "Night Court" in
>>> which some nuns were being evicted. Every time the landlord said
>>> something in court to annoy them, they started praying really hard and
>>> something bad would happen to the him.
>>
>> Have you seen _The Devil's Advocate_? [Keanu Reeves & others whose
>> names don't stick so well]
>

> I've never heard of it so I checked IMDB. The first name I saw was
> "Al Pacino...John Milton/Lucifer". That made me laugh.
> I don't watch many movies, preferring to read. The plot of "Devil's

Likewise. e.g. I've haven't seen any of the Godfather movies (well,
I've seen bits of a couple of them). And I'm generally terrible at
remembering actors' names ['the guy who played <X> in <Y>']

> Advocate" reminds me of a short story in which a man tires to sell his
> soul to the law firm of Thanatos, Scratch and Uriel (or something
> similar) but the paperwork is incomplete so he hires the paralegal
> firm of Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos to act as go-between. By the end
> of the story he's having second thoughts and tries to contact the firm
> of Seraphim, Cherubim and Saint to assist him.

Some similarities... The meteoric rise of successful small-town
lawyer in NYC in a law firm run by Pacino... Saying much more would
kill the plot.

There's one case in the movie, 'an open & shut case on health
regulations', which spurred my followup. Keanu is given the case,
the defendent has been charged over the unhygenic slaughter of a
goat. It turns out that the slaughter was part of a religious ritual
(voodoo of some sort). Keanu wins the case by arguing 1st Amendment,
aided by a 'spell' from the defendent which caused the prosecutor to
gag when trying to speak...