Should the US be a Christian nation?

Oct 3, 2007, 11:56:38 AM10/3/07
Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham

Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/2006/12/is_america_a_christian_nation/

Oct 3, 2007, 3:40:52 PM10/3/07
Our Constitution does NOT claim the U. S. to be Christian Nation. It is
secular nation that permits people to follow ANY religion they wish
including atheism.

We have FREEDOM of religion, not compulsion to follow Christianity or any
other religion including NONE!

"V" <vf...@aol.com> wrote in message

Bill Dukenfield

Oct 3, 2007, 4:32:59 PM10/3/07
V wrote:

> Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham
>
> Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
> Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
> saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
> they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?
>
> http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/2006/12/is_america_a_christian_nation/

Absolutely not.

It is forbidden by the Constitution of the United States.

JAM

duke

Oct 3, 2007, 4:58:31 PM10/3/07
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:56:38 -0700, V <vf...@aol.com> wrote:

>Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham
>
>Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
>Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
>saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
>they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?

Absolutely yes.

duke, American-American
*****
Pope Paul VI
*****

duke

Oct 3, 2007, 4:59:44 PM10/3/07
On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 15:40:52 -0400, "Bill M" <wm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Our Constitution does NOT claim the U. S. to be Christian Nation. It is
>secular nation that permits people to follow ANY religion they wish
>including atheism.

>We have FREEDOM of religion, not compulsion to follow Christianity or any
>other religion including NONE!

Wow, I think you finally got it right, willie.

Uncle Vic

Oct 3, 2007, 5:04:13 PM10/3/07
duke wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:56:38 -0700, V <vf...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham
>>
>> Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
>> Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
>> saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
>> they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?
>
> Absolutely yes.

Why?

--
Uncle Vic

duke

Oct 3, 2007, 5:06:52 PM10/3/07

>Why?

It would be great for the country.

Lucifer

Oct 3, 2007, 5:31:50 PM10/3/07
On Oct 3, 9:58 pm, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:56:38 -0700, V <vf...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham
>
> >Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
> >Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
> >saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
> >they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?
>
> Absolutely yes.

Why doyou hate america so much? Even we Euopeans don't loahe you so
much as you seem to, duckie boy.

--

Lucifer the Unsubtle, EAC Librarian of Dark Tomes of Excessive Evil
and General Purpose Igor

The Anti-Theist, BAAWA Lowly Evilmeister and tamer of the Demon Duck
of Doom

Convicted by Earthquack

"Don't worry, I won't bite.......hard"

Libertarius

Oct 3, 2007, 6:45:32 PM10/3/07
Bill M wrote:

> Our Constitution does NOT claim the U. S. to be Christian Nation. It is
> secular nation that permits people to follow ANY religion they wish
> including atheism.
>
> We have FREEDOM of religion, not compulsion to follow Christianity or any
> other religion including NONE!

===>Hi Bill,

Remember the famous Treaty of Tripoli, approved by Congress and signed
by the president. As such, it is part of the US Constitution!
It says:
"the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
founded on the Christian religion."
When President Adams signed the treaty and proclaimed it to the nation
on 10 June 1797, he declared:
"Now be it known, That I John Adams, President of the United States of
America, having seen and considered the said Treaty do, by and with the
advice and consent of the Senate, accept, ratify, and confirm the same,
and every clause and article thereof. And to the End that the said
Treaty may be observed and performed with good Faith on the part of the
United States, I have ordered the premises to be made public; And I do
hereby enjoin and require all persons bearing office civil or military
within the United States, and all other citizens or inhabitants thereof,
faithfully to observe and fulfill the said Treaty and every clause and
article thereof."
"the treaty and Adams' statement reprinted in full in three newspapers,
two in Philadelphia and one in New York City and, in one case, held the
actual newspaper (the Philadelphia Gazette and Universal Daily
Advertiser for Saturday, 17 June 1797) in my hands. There is no record
of any public outcry or complaint in subsequent editions of the papers."
SEE: "Does the 1796-97 Treaty with Tripoli Matter to Church/State
Separation?" at
http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/buckner_tripoli.html
-- L.

Uncle Vic

Oct 3, 2007, 7:41:09 PM10/3/07
One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
with this:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:04:13 -0700, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com>
> wrote:
>
>>duke wrote:

>>> Absolutely yes.
>
>>Why?
>
> It would be great for the country.

Why?

--
Uncle Vic
aa Atheist #2011
Supervisor, EAC Department of little adhesive-backed "L" shaped
chrome-plastic doo-dads to add feet to Jesus fish department.
Convicted by Earthquack.

Al Klein

Oct 3, 2007, 10:47:38 PM10/3/07
wrote:

>duke wrote:

>Why?

Because Puke's uncomfortable if people are allowed to not believe in
his religion. Of course Puke himself is one of the best arguments
AGAINST Christianity.
--
Al at Webdingers dot com
"They laughed at Newton, they laughed at Einstein, but they also laughed at

Dave Oldridge

Oct 4, 2007, 4:10:19 AM10/4/07
V <vf...@aol.com> wrote in

> Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham
>
> Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
> Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
> saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
> they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?

Except they are not politically conservative and they aren't orthodox
Christians. They are radical theocrats with designs of overthrowing the US
constitution.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Scaler

Oct 4, 2007, 10:25:39 AM10/4/07
okay I am no historian, but as I understand it, the United States was
founded using many Christian principals, because our founding fathers
had the freedom to choose to observe & practice christianity, however
they did not make LAW that anyone follow christianity or any other
religion. they gave us the freedom to choose, and they said that
freedom comes from God himself. God does not force anyone to follow
him. He gave us freewill. Our founding fathers saw that as SO
important to make it part of the Constitution, Bill of Rights etc.
how I'm sure I've made some errors here and there, someone will no
doubt correct me, but I do believe that was the GENERAL idea.

On Oct 3, 10:56 am, V <vf...@aol.com> wrote:
> Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham
>
> Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
> Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
> saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
> they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?
>

> http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/2006/12/is_america_a_chris...

> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.atheism/browse_frm/thread/769d7275...

Robibnikoff

Oct 4, 2007, 11:06:20 AM10/4/07

"Scaler" <sprite...@directvinternet.com> wrote in message

> okay I am no historian, but as I understand it, the United States was
> founded using many Christian principals, because our founding fathers
> had the freedom to choose to observe & practice christianity,

Though they didn't.

however
> they did not make LAW that anyone follow christianity or any other
> religion. they gave us the freedom to choose, and they said that
> freedom comes from God himself. God does not force anyone to follow
> him.

What god?
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

Christopher A.Lee

Oct 4, 2007, 11:04:45 AM10/4/07
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 07:25:39 -0700, Scaler
<sprite...@directvinternet.com> wrote:

>okay I am no historian, but as I understand it, the United States was
>founded using many Christian principals,

Wrong.

> because our founding fathers
>had the freedom to choose to observe & practice christianity, however

And many of them weren't Christians.

Even the Christians among them (well most anyway) knew about the evils
and strife of official religion. The Reformation was too recent, and
there had been strife between the early colonies.

So they set up a secular nation with a secular constitution
guaranteeing freedom of religious conscience for everybody.

Don't they teach history any more in the USA?

>they did not make LAW that anyone follow christianity or any other
>religion. they gave us the freedom to choose, and they said that
>freedom comes from God himself.

Where did they say that? Hint: they didn't.

> God does not force anyone to follow

Because figments of your deluded imagination don't do anything.

>him. He gave us freewill. Our founding fathers saw that as SO

Prove it exists to do that, brainwashed moron.

>important to make it part of the Constitution, Bill of Rights etc.

They did no such thing. And you know that, so stop lying.

Or did you fail civics?

>how I'm sure I've made some errors here and there, someone will no
>doubt correct me, but I do believe that was the GENERAL idea.

Then you're a pig-ignorant idiot.

Libertarius

Oct 4, 2007, 3:06:52 PM10/4/07
duke wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:56:38 -0700, V <vf...@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham
>>
>>Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
>>Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
>>saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
>>they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?
>

> Absolutely yes.

===>Ah, an old-fashioned Catholic who would just LOVE
to bring back the Inquisition, with its totalitarian
rule and burning of the dissident "heretics"!
Thanks for revealing your true identity, Duckie! -- L.

The Chief Instigator

Oct 4, 2007, 7:56:45 PM10/4/07
duke <duckg...@cox.net> writes:

>On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:56:38 -0700, V <vf...@aol.com> wrote:

>>Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham

>>Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
>>Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
>>saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
>>they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?

>Absolutely yes.

Absolutely not, Earl. We've already seen the "rewards" of countries where
only one faith is allowed.

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2006-07 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

Mark K. Bilbo

Oct 4, 2007, 9:01:05 PM10/4/07
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 07:25:39 -0700, Scaler wrote:

> okay I am no historian, but as I understand it, the United States was
> founded using many Christian principals

Oh?

Name these "principals".

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

duke

Oct 5, 2007, 9:10:49 AM10/5/07
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:41:09 -0500, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:

>One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
>with this:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:04:13 -0700, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Why?
>>
>> It would be great for the country.
>>

>Why?

It would have a higher morals code.

duke

Oct 5, 2007, 9:12:41 AM10/5/07
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:31:50 -0700, Lucifer <wyrd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
>> >Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
>> >saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
>> >they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?
>
>> Absolutely yes.

>Why doyou hate america so much? Even we Euopeans don't loahe you so
>much as you seem to, duckie boy.

We would have a higher morals code if we were a Christian nation.

duke

Oct 5, 2007, 9:13:40 AM10/5/07
On 04 Oct 2007 18:56:45 -0500, The Chief Instigator <pat...@eris.io.com> wrote:

>duke <duckg...@cox.net> writes:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:56:38 -0700, V <vf...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>>Posted by Sally Quinn and Jon Meacham
>
>>>Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a
>>>Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country
>>>saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are
>>>they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?
>
>>Absolutely yes.
>
>Absolutely not, Earl. We've already seen the "rewards" of countries where
>only one faith is allowed.

Islam?

Martin

Oct 5, 2007, 10:07:07 AM10/5/07
duke wrote:

>>> Absolutely yes.
>
>> Why doyou hate america so much? Even we Euopeans don't loahe you so
>> much as you seem to, duckie boy.
>
> We would have a higher morals code if we were a Christian nation.

Open season on choir boys doesn't count duke

Uncle Vic

Oct 6, 2007, 12:12:28 AM10/6/07
One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
with this:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:41:09 -0500, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com>
> wrote:
>
>>One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
>>with this:

>>> It would be great for the country.
>>>

>>Why?
>
> It would have a higher morals code.

Higher than now? We don't have enough jails to hold all the "moral"
Christians in this country already.

Michelle Malkin

Oct 6, 2007, 4:30:34 AM10/6/07

"Uncle Vic" <add...@withheld.com> wrote in message

> One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
> with this:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:41:09 -0500, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
>>>with this:

>>>Why?
>>
>> It would have a higher morals code.
>>

> Higher than now? We don't have enough jails to hold all the "moral"
> Christians in this country already.

Especially Catholics and Baptists who fill up US
prisons more than any other religions.
--
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
Michelle Malkin (Mickey) aa list#1

duke

Oct 6, 2007, 7:42:48 AM10/6/07
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:12:28 GMT, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:

>One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
>with this:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:41:09 -0500, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
>>>with this:

>>>Why?
>>
>> It would have a higher morals code.
>>

>Higher than now? We don't have enough jails to hold all the "moral"
>Christians in this country already.

The ones in jail are short on morals.

duke

Oct 6, 2007, 7:43:39 AM10/6/07
On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 04:30:34 -0400, "Michelle Malkin" <hypa...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>>> It would have a higher morals code.
>> Higher than now? We don't have enough jails to hold all the "moral"
>> Christians in this country already.

>Especially Catholics and Baptists who fill up US
>prisons more than any other religions.

Nah, they just checked the box.

Uncle Vic

Oct 7, 2007, 1:18:02 AM10/7/07

As are most xians, including yourself.

duke

Oct 7, 2007, 8:00:33 AM10/7/07
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 00:18:02 -0500, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:

>>>Higher than now? We don't have enough jails to hold all the "moral"
>>>Christians in this country already.
>> The ones in jail are short on morals.
>As are most xians, including yourself.

Hell is filled with volunteers.

Uncle Vic

Oct 7, 2007, 2:31:51 PM10/7/07
One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
with this:

>>> The ones in jail are short on morals.
>>As are most xians, including yourself.
>
> Hell is filled with volunteers.

Show me.

Father Haskell

Oct 7, 2007, 3:11:58 PM10/7/07
On Oct 4, 10:25 am, Scaler <spritesca...@directvinternet.com> wrote:
> okay I am no historian, but as I understand it, the United States was
> founded using many Christian principals,

You mean "principles," don't you?

"The United States is in no sense founded upon the
christian religion."

duke

Oct 7, 2007, 5:24:42 PM10/7/07
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:31:51 GMT, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:

>>>As are most xians, including yourself.

>> Hell is filled with volunteers.
>Show me.

ONly a fool of a volunteer would expose himself like that.

Uncle Vic

Oct 7, 2007, 8:36:07 PM10/7/07
One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up with
this:

>>> Hell is filled with volunteers.
>>Show me.
>
> ONly a fool of a volunteer would expose himself like that.

See? You can't show me your hell. All you've got is invented nonsense
passed down from generation to generation like a bad rumor, and dogma that
changes from church to church.

I don't believe you, or any other theist.

duke

Oct 8, 2007, 3:29:11 PM10/8/07
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:36:07 -0500, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com> wrote:

>>>Show me.

>> ONly a fool of a volunteer would expose himself like that.

>See? You can't show me your hell. All you've got is invented nonsense
>passed down from generation to generation like a bad rumor, and dogma that
>changes from church to church.

Yeah, but a man, a man that walked out of his grave after being there for 3 days
and after picking up souls held between heaven and hell for all previous
eternity, stated there was, I believe.

>I don't believe you, or any other theist.

Hey, I keep telling you - it's your funeral, not mine. Do whatever floats your
boat. I can't only try to help you - I can't make you drink.

Libertarius

Oct 8, 2007, 7:58:41 PM10/8/07
duke wrote:

>>>Absolutely yes.
>

>>Why doyou hate america so much? Even we Euopeans don't loahe you so
>>much as you seem to, duckie boy.
>

> We would have a higher morals code if we were a Christian nation.

===>As shown by the Holy Roman Empire and its immoral popes and
bishops and its Inquisition? ;-) -- L.

Uncle Vic

Oct 8, 2007, 8:25:45 PM10/8/07
One fine day in alt.atheism, duke <duckg...@cox.net> bloodied us up
with this:

>>> ONly a fool of a volunteer would expose himself like that.
>
>>See? You can't show me your hell. All you've got is invented
>>nonsense passed down from generation to generation like a bad rumor,
>>and dogma that changes from church to church.
>
> Yeah, but a man, a man that walked out of his grave after being there
> for 3 days and after picking up souls held between heaven and hell for
> all previous eternity, stated there was, I believe.

That argument is unacceptable in reality, even outside your own religion.

>>I don't believe you, or any other theist.
>
> Hey, I keep telling you - it's your funeral, not mine.

And you're not invited.