Lew Turco's Book of Forms, 4th ed.

iamb

Jan 8, 2012, 12:18:40 AM1/8/12
It just came out, and Lew has included a form I invented for Twitter, the
twiplet. He uses two of mine for examples (don't know if anyone else has
written one). A twiplet has, in it's published definition, three lines in
any meter or no meter, and all three lines end-rhyme with one another. In
addition, the third line has, near its beginning, a rhyme with non-end word
in the first line, and, near its middle, a rhyme with a non-end word in the
second line. The total character count, including spaces and carriage
returns, must be within twitter's 140 character limit.

One of the two examples in Lew's book is "Minimalist Winter Twiplet":

Cold night
May blight
Old daylight.

The other example is an untitled self-referential twiplet:

A twiplet's tangled rhyme, it's tiny scope
And low byte count, let twittering poet's hope,
This time, to mount the Muse's cyberslope.

George Dance

Jan 8, 2012, 1:00:29 AM1/8/12
Excellent news. mike. I'm going to check if I have an article on Turco
in PPP; there's still a lot of newer poets who aren't covered yet.

Speaking of that, do you have an article on your blog (or another CC
source) about the twiplet? Alternatively, is this post of yours CC-
licensed?

iamb

Jan 8, 2012, 1:50:59 AM1/8/12
George Dance <george...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 12:18 am, iamb <mando...@mikesnider.org> wrote:
>> It just came out, and Lew has included a form I invented for Twitter, the
>> twiplet. He uses two of mine for examples (don't know if anyone else has
>> written one). A twiplet has, in it's published definition, three lines in
>> any meter or no meter, and all three lines end-rhyme with one another. In
>> addition, the third line has, near its beginning, a rhyme with non-end word
>> in the first line, and, near its middle, a rhyme with a non-end word in the
>> second line. The total character count, including spaces and carriage
>> returns, must be within twitter's 140 character limit.
>>
>> One of the two examples in Lew's book is "Minimalist Winter Twiplet":
>>
>> Cold night
>> May blight
>> Old daylight.
>>
>> The other example is an untitled self-referential twiplet:
>>
>> A twiplet's tangled rhyme, it's tiny scope
>> And low byte count, let twittering poet's hope,
>> This time, to mount the Muse's cyberslope.plet
>
> Excellent news. mike. I'm going to check if I have an article on Turco
> in PPP; there's still a lot of newer poets who aren't covered yet.
>
> Speaking of that, do you have an article on your blog (or another CC
> source) about the twiplet? Alternatively, is this post of yours CC-
> licensed?

George, my entire blog is CC licensed. The original post is
http://mikesnider.org/formalblog/?p=302. I first called the form a twinnet,
but I prefer twiplet now. You certainly have my permission to repost
anything I post to this mailing list.

Turco's not exactly a newer poet - he's been the curator, so to speak, of
contemporary verse in form since before I met him in the 70s. The original
Book of Forms was published in 1968.

iamb

Jan 8, 2012, 1:57:17 AM1/8/12
George Dance <george...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Excellent news. mike. I'm going to check if I have an article on Turco
> in PPP; there's still a lot of newer poets who aren't covered yet.

Here's Lew on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Turco

And here's his blog: http://www.lewisturco.net/

George Dance

Jan 8, 2012, 2:48:25 AM1/8/12
On Jan 8, 1:50 am, iamb <mando...@mikesnider.org> wrote:
> George Dance <georgedanc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > On Jan 8, 12:18 am, iamb <mando...@mikesnider.org> wrote:
> >> It just came out, and Lew has included a form I invented for Twitter, the
> >> twiplet. He uses two of mine for examples (don't know if anyone else has
> >> written one).  A twiplet has, in it's published definition, three lines in
> >> any meter or no meter, and all three lines end-rhyme with one another. In
> >> addition, the third line has, near its beginning, a rhyme with non-end word
> >> in the first line, and, near its middle, a rhyme with a non-end word in the
> >> second line. The total character count, including spaces and carriage
> >> returns, must be within twitter's 140 character limit.
>
> >> One of the two examples in Lew's book is "Minimalist Winter Twiplet":
>
> >> Cold night
> >> May blight
> >> Old daylight.
>
> >> The other example is an untitled self-referential twiplet:
>
> >> A twiplet's tangled rhyme, it's tiny scope
> >> And low byte count, let twittering poet's hope,
> >> This time, to mount the Muse's cyberslope.plet
>
> > Excellent news. mike. I'm going to check if I have an article on Turco
> > in PPP; there's still a lot of newer poets who aren't covered yet.
>
> > Speaking of that, do you have an article on your blog (or another CC
> > source) about the twiplet? Alternatively, is this post of yours CC-
> > licensed?
>
> George, my entire blog is CC licensed. The original post ishttp://mikesnider.org/formalblog/?p=302. I first called the form a twinnet,
> but I prefer twiplet now. You certainly have my permission to repost
> anything I post to this mailing list.

Thank you. I'll be bylining you, too, unless you object to that.

> Turco's not exactly a newer poet - he's been the curator, so to speak, of
> contemporary verse in form since before I met him in the 70s. The original
> Book of Forms was published in 1968.

'Newer' and 'older' are of course relative terms, and the way I use
them wrt the wiki is pretty unconventional. By 'newer' poet, I just
meant one who is still alive. I began by chronicling public domain
poets (dead for 70 years or more), and I have pretty good coverage on
that side. For those still alive. though, I still have a lot of
authors to add. I'm working on that, mainly alphabetically; perhaps in
a year I can say the contemporary scene is well covered as well.

George Dance

Jan 8, 2012, 3:44:18 AM1/8/12
On Jan 8, 1:57 am, iamb <mando...@mikesnider.org> wrote:
Thanks. I did have his Wikipedia article. (I think I added him because
he's linked in the New Formalism article.) All I had to do was add the
one new footnote.

Which was good, because I was able to concentrate on getting the
Twiplet article done. Please read it over and change it however you
wish -- including deleting this tossed-off thing:

The twiplet's fun, but tricky.
I trust you're not too picky,
So here's one I just put in the wiki.

http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Twiplet#Examples

Will Dockery

Jan 8, 2012, 5:06:34 AM1/8/12
On Jan 8, 12:18 am, iamb <mando...@mikesnider.org> wrote:
A fabulous new form, man!

--
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11596860

iamb

Jan 9, 2012, 12:22:02 PM1/9/12
Will Dockery <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A fabulous new form, man!

Thanks, Will!

iamb

Jan 9, 2012, 12:22:03 PM1/9/12
George Dance <george...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Thanks. I did have his Wikipedia article. (I think I added him because
> he's linked in the New Formalism article.) All I had to do was add the
> one new footnote.
>
> Which was good, because I was able to concentrate on getting the
> Twiplet article done. Please read it over and change it however you
> wish -- including deleting this tossed-off thing:
>
> The twiplet's fun, but tricky.
> I trust you're not too picky,
> So here's one I just put in the wiki.
>
> http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Twiplet#Examples

George, the page looks great. I appreciate your inclusion of the form.

Will Dockery

Jan 10, 2012, 7:52:05 PM1/10/12
On Jan 9, 12:22 pm, iamb <mando...@mikesnider.org> wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > A fabulous new form, man!
>
> Thanks, Will!

The form would work well for cellphone texts, as well...