What's happening to this group?

Skip to the first unread message

Huo

13 Jan 2002, 18:15:4913/01/2002

Hi there,

I'm new here, and just wanted to ask a few questions:
1) why so little "traffic" here? All I can see in past few days are
these XXX adds... Do members of this group go somwhere else on the net, like
Kutaki forum or ...?
2) When was this group opened, and who was the creator of it, does
anybody know?
3) Does anyone moderates it, and sends these spammers to abuse?

Regards,
Huo.
www.inet.hr/~seishin

mrx

13 Jan 2002, 18:57:2013/01/2002
Huo wrote:

I doubt it, from time to time, the booj group goes through it's share of
spam bombardment.

Huo

13 Jan 2002, 19:59:3913/01/2002

"mrx" <m...@x.org> wrote in message

> I doubt it, from time to time, the booj group goes through it's share of
> spam bombardment.

I hope it's only temporary... I just saw that rec.martial-arts.moderated
will be removed, so I wonder will there be a place for people like us to
share their views and thoughts anymore on th Net? There are so many other
useless groups, and just a few of the MA-oriented, and one of them will be
removed... Now, I don't know why is that, but it wouldn't definitely cause
any harm to anyone to keep that group, especially when we look at just how
many other useless groups are there...

Huo

13 Jan 2002, 20:19:0113/01/2002

"Huo" <h...@fly.srk.fer.hr> wrote in message

No...I was fooled by a spammer, that message was a fake... No alarms
there.

Chris Moran

14 Jan 2002, 14:11:4114/01/2002
http://www.e-budo.com
:)
Chris

--

a.a.#707 - WWRD - What Would Rob Do?
/___ . . ____ _____ _____ __ . 802.656.0358

Kreth

14 Jan 2002, 15:25:1214/01/2002
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:11:41 -0500, Chris Moran <cmo...@dln.uvm.edu>
wrote:

>http://www.e-budo.com
Better yet: www.kutaki.org
You don't have to put up with neo-ninjas running around, or
revisionistic moderation in the Bujinkan forums by Genbukan
moderators...

Kreth

bencole

14 Jan 2002, 16:36:2314/01/2002
Chris Moran <cmo...@dln.uvm.edu> wrote in message news:<3C432D6D...@dln.uvm.edu>...
> http://www.e-budo.com
> :)
> Chris

Or better yet, for questions/conversations regarding the Bujinkan
(remember: this group *IS* called "alt.arts.bujinkan") go to
www.kutaki.org

Usage of e-budo for discussions regarding the Bujinkan is frowned upon
by numerous members of the Shidoshikai. The Bujinkan has an
appropriate forum (with moderators). Please use it.

-ben

Huo

14 Jan 2002, 17:08:3714/01/2002

> Or better yet, for questions/conversations regarding the Bujinkan
> (remember: this group *IS* called "alt.arts.bujinkan") go to
> www.kutaki.org
>
> Usage of e-budo for discussions regarding the Bujinkan is frowned upon
> by numerous members of the Shidoshikai. The Bujinkan has an
> appropriate forum (with moderators). Please use it.

Thanks, I've heard of that site, it's a good one, but I was just
wondering about this newsgroup, because Usenet has it's special charm, and I
use it more often than web-forums.
Regards,
Huo

Simon Fraser

14 Jan 2002, 18:43:0714/01/2002
bencole <bcol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Usage of e-budo for discussions regarding the Bujinkan is frowned upon
> by numerous members of the Shidoshikai.

Why is that, then?

S.

bencole

16 Jan 2002, 14:19:2416/01/2002
Simon Fraser <si...@esperi.org> wrote in message news:<3c436d0a$0$8510$ed9e...@reading.news.pipex.net>...

I will borrow from a post that Ed Lomax made about this issue on
E-budo, while clarifying when needed.

The Bujinkan forum was closed by John Lindsay [e-budo's owner and
operator] after a whole bunch of us [Shidoshikai members] - including
the two forum moderators, objected to him moderating the forum without
notifying the forum moderators. This happened when a thread regarding
relationships between the Bujinkan and its offshoots appeared
questioning the legitimacy of some people's claims. However, on other
forums there, the claims of Hatsumi Soke have been discussed at
length.

John's moderation of the Bujinkan forum as such was considered a
breach of any sort of polite protocol between himself and the forum
moderators and indeed the forum participants. When we made our
dissaproval known and that we considered a free-speech Bujinkan forum
there [on e-budo] impossible under such circumstances, he closed it
down.

While John is happy to call the Bujinkan, ninpo Hatsumi style, he
objects to any reference that Tanemura may have very little claim to
the teachings of Takamatsu. Somehow, Sato and a few other geriatrics
who had no students of their own managed to distill the teachings of
Takamatsu so purely and pass them onto Tanemura, that any claim that
Tanemura has not the true teachings of Takamatsu is objectionable.

As such a situation exists on e-budo I do not think it is prudent for
Bujinkan members to support a forum that is trying to drag the
Bujinkan down to a level that a Genbukan member feels happy about, and
only speaks about the Genbukan in a manner that he is also happy
about. We did not expect to have the Genbukan people praise the
Bujinakan, and they should not have expected it of us. However, with a
Genbukan member moderating the whole site and including moderating
Bujinkan forum topics, it is obvious that supporting the site is an
action that is to the detriment of the Bujinkan community.

I therefore request that if you wish to visit a bulletin board style
forum that you go to www.kutaki.org instead - a Bujinkan forum run by
Bujinkan people. Or Mats Helms' site, or David Dow's site - maybe they
can point you that way here.

I hope that answers you question. [Thanks, Ed.]

-ben

Chris Moran

16 Jan 2002, 15:20:3816/01/2002
bencole wrote:
> Chris Moran <cmo...@dln.uvm.edu> wrote in message news:<3C432D6D...@dln.uvm.edu>...
> > http://www.e-budo.com
> Or better yet, for questions/conversations regarding the Bujinkan
> (remember: this group *IS* called "alt.arts.bujinkan") go to
> www.kutaki.org

Man.. keeping up with the changes is a job itself huh?
Glad to know about it now.

> Usage of e-budo for discussions regarding the Bujinkan is frowned upon
> by numerous members of the Shidoshikai. The Bujinkan has an
> appropriate forum (with moderators). Please use it.

I think it's great for Buj to have it's own forum... the more official
the better, though I'd hate to see everyone become completely seperated
from the rest of the world... well.
thanks Ben,
Chris
--

a.a.#707 - WWRD - What Would Rob Do?
/___ . . ____ _____ _____ __ . 802.656.0358

/ / | | / __|__ _____ / cmo...@dln.uvm.edu

Huo

16 Jan 2002, 17:10:2316/01/2002

>I'd hate to see everyone become completely seperated
> from the rest of the world... well.

I don't think that's what's happening.
It's better like this, that we (members of Bujinkan) have a place (or
couple of them) of our own, moderated by people from Bujinkan. It seems so
natural...

Regards,
Huo.

Ed

17 Jan 2002, 03:33:5617/01/2002
we really need a FAQ in this group. not me doing it though as I am up
to my armpits getting ready to move to Japan
- oops did I let that out the bag in a public forum?..

Simon Fraser

17 Jan 2002, 06:53:2117/01/2002

[Note, I previously posted as si...@esperi.org, due to problems with
surfers.org. I am the same person]

Ed <edl...@senet.com.au> wrote:

> we really need a FAQ in this group. not me doing it though as I am up
> to my armpits getting ready to move to Japan
> - oops did I let that out the bag in a public forum?..

Yup. Recorded for posterity.

FA Questions...

What is the Bujinkan?
What is Ninjutsu/Ninpo?
What is the purpose of the newsgroup?
Who is X? (list of well known Bujinkan people)

Brief overview of what sort of training one can expect
Brief description of each of the Ryu

How to identify a dodgy "ninja boom" style dojo (without naming names)

Other resources
kutaki.org
rec.martial-arts FAQ
winjutsu, kabuto, et al.

Glossary
Terms such as Soke, Tai Kai, Shidoshi, 'Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo' as
opposed to specific technique names?

Questions such as 'what is a martial art?' are answered quite well in the
rec.martial-arts FAQ [0], so there's little need for us to recreate them.

Comments?

>>> Why is that, then?
>>
>>I will borrow from a post that Ed Lomax made about this issue on
>>E-budo, while clarifying when needed.

<snip>

>>I hope that answers you question. [Thanks, Ed.]

Yes, it does. Thanks!

Simon.

[0] http://www.faqs.org/faqs/martial-arts/faq/part1/

mrx

17 Jan 2002, 18:56:5417/01/2002
Simon Fraser wrote:

After reading paul Bik's shitpost tonight, I must say that I am truly,
genuinely bored with "neo-bullshit artists" a/or chakkites.

Kreth

17 Jan 2002, 21:34:5717/01/2002
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:56:54 -0500, mrx <m...@x.org> wrote:

>After reading paul Bik's shitpost tonight, I must say that I am truly,
>genuinely bored with "neo-bullshit artists" a/or chakkites.

Please learn to trim posts...

Kreth

mrx

18 Jan 2002, 19:25:3418/01/2002