Pictures posted today

jul...@braincoil.com

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
I posted several pix to a.b.a just now, they range from 28K to about
152K.
--julie

mjbaker

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
to vici...@mindspring.com
Julie: Great pictures. We love Wear's Valley in spite of what the
developers have done to the mountains near Pigeon Forge. Last fall we
walked the part of the Foothills Parkway overlooking the Valley that was
open one weekend. Just wonderful. I took some pictures, too, not as
good as yours, though.

When we come over that way we take the route (don't remember #) from
Newport that goes by English Mt. Another absolutely picture perfect
valley with farms, which we sure hope the developers don't buy up and
overbuild.

I also loved the sunrise reflection picture.

Thanks, Julie.

Marilyn in Western NC (not too shabby scenery here, either!)

--
MZ

Robert A. Underwood

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
In <364c7e6d...@news.mindspring.com>, on 11/13/98
at 06:47 PM, jul...@braincoil.com said:

>I posted several pix to a.b.a just now, they range from 28K to about
>152K.
> --julie

I was out of town this week and they expired before I got back. :( If
anyone has saved them and would wish to share, please, please,
please............

KyBob
OS/2 Warp 3.0 and MR/2 Internet Cruiser Version 1.50
An Unbeatable Combination

MR/2 Tag->Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?

fishmoose

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
I was able to save only 3 of 'em before they got wiped:
foothills parkway.jpg
buffalo creek.jpg (reflections)
wear valley4.jpg
E-mail me if yer still interested, but I'm sure if'n ya ask really nice
like, JulieB would be happy to get 'em to ya!
--
"You can take the boy outta the country . . ."
Unca "Billy Bob" FishMoose

Robert A. Underwood wrote in article...
> JulieB announced:

vj brooks

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
"fishmoose" <fish...@SPAMSTOPnetset.com> wrote:

Well, I did the reinstall tonight, and like I figured, it ~wiped~...
my computer is back to like day one :/
Which can be a good thing (look at my new toy!) or a bad thing (oh,
the files I've lost) but I _did_ save most of my important stuff to
disk, and my photos I still have IRL, if not on the HD.

What I will try to do is D/L off the binaries gp and email them to
you, or icq if you prefer. Let me know. I have to reinstall icq... but
not tonight, starting the new job location tomorrow, and Grumpy sez
its bedtime! ;)
c'est moi

gwar...@zoomnet.net

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
I think that I got all of them. Only saved one, and I got it backed
up on a diskette just in case :) It is "sunrise on a pond" and is
definately a keeper.

jerry

15 Nov 98 21:26:16 GMT, "fishmoose" <fish...@SPAMSTOPnetset.com>

fishmoose

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
c'est what??

--
"You can take the boy outta the country . . ."
Unca "Billy Bob" FishMoose

vj brooks (naw, it couldn't be!) wrote in article:

snip

> c'est moi

Lisa Alekna

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Ok, I'll bite - what is a.b.a.??

I can think of a few things, but none of 'em make a whole lot of sense...

Lisa

http://www.javanet.com/~lanat/helperpage1.htm
HTML Helper Page

http://www.javanet.com/~lanat/webdesign2.htm
Lanat Enterprises Web Site Design

Contact me now on ICQ : http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10782525
----

jul...@braincoil.com wrote in message
<364c7e6d...@news.mindspring.com>...

Larry G.Hunsucker

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
alt.binaries.appalachian for posting big files, like pictures.
lgh

cheshirecat

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

NewBobCity <newbo...@aol.com> wrote in message
19981117005003...@ngol05.aol.com...

>AOL users can't access alt.binaries.appalachian.
>
>If yore an AOL sucker like me, read the "CALL TO ARMS" posted here just
now.
>Send yore request to AOL to add this fine newsgroup. The URL is:
>aol://4344:2452.ABwrite.26150839.560704739
>
>Guv Bob
>Part-time activitist

I guess the big deal about picture being posted passed me by. didn't know
there was a federal law against it. anyone care to explain?

fishmoose

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Ya got me all curioused up about what you were thinking a.b.a meant!

--
"You can take the boy outta the country . . ."
Unca "Billy Bob" FishMoose

Lisa Alekna wrote in article...

NewBobCity

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

cheshirecat

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
well, now. if someone had explained that to me when i introduced myself to
the group, then we would not have had this problem i guess. to me, i take no
responsibility for it because i was not told, and am very angry that some
people (many took it in the good nature with which it was intended) acted
like there was a bear in their brush pile because i did that. thank you for
explaining it to me. from now on i will discontinue any pictures on this
sight, but refuse to opologize for the on i did post because of the rude and
completely uncalled for responce to it. fair? sounds fair to me.

the Cheshire Cat strikes again!

>>I guess the big deal about picture being posted passed me by. didn't know
>>there was a federal law against it. anyone care to explain?
>>

>Well, there ain't really no law against such, it's simply that news
>admins allocate disk space based on anticipated traffic.
>
>They generally frown upon seein' large binary files in a discussion
>group (many limit the binary groups they carry to conserve disk
>space). If they see regular posting of binaries in a discussion
>group, they tend to drop the group or severely limit the space
>allocated such that posts expire almost immediately.
>
>To help the group propagate to the widest distribution (remember that
>now all appies are accessing news via a commercial server), it's best
>to keep a clean slate. That way it's easy for news admins to carry
>the group.
>
>Many of the news servers are running on business systems. That
>generally means that the disk drives are more expensive, and they're
>normally RAIDed and mirrored for business recovery (that means that
>1KB really takes 2.6KB of expensive space). And, them RAID
>controllers don't come cheap either. While prices are coming down
>throughout the industry, high quality, business systems still command
>a nice premium over what one pays for the home/desktop office system.
>
>I'm mighty thankful for that, else I'd have to return more to my roots
>for my daily livelihood. ;^)
>

> Jesse

Wubba

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Uhhhh? Bad spelling of that "70's swedish rock group???
(I still have an album of theirs!) <G>
Wubba whaaa-I don't get a.b.a. either!

NewBobCity

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

jfj...@banet.net (Jesse F. James) writes:

>They generally frown upon seein' large binary files in a discussion
>group (many limit the binary groups they carry to conserve disk
>space). If they see regular posting of binaries in a discussion
>group, they tend to drop the group or severely limit the space
>allocated such that posts expire almost immediately.

Well sung and enough of it!

I see what you mean, but it sounds kind of like cutting of their collective
noses to spite their faces to me. Yelling a every newcomer has got to be a
painful process for the yeller, the yellee, and us pore slobs reading it. Also,
this thread, for example, is being created just for that. It's got to be
approaching the size of the original binary. LOL!!

If I wuz an administrator ...oh no, here we go... I'd just set a size limit on
each message to, say, the first 4,000 ascii characters? That's equivalent to
about 4 ArdisOL windows, which exceeds my attention span for this newsgroup.

What do you think? Wouldn't that be the least objectionable way to limit the
maximum size of messages posted? The people who want to limit it, do the
limiting. People that want them big o' binaries set their limit higher.

Would save a lot of wasted time yelling at people, then getting yelled back at,
then more yelling, then (here's the worst part) everybody buddies up and starts
broadcasting concession speeches, apologies and then the hug-fests begin. And I
don't think anyone wants THAT!!! PeeeeYuke!!! Not pretty.

By the way, AOL does limit each message, but their limit is way up there. About
the only time it is exceeded is on one of the Federal Register newsgroups where
a Senator or some other clown goes on and on and on and starts frothing at the
mouth and falls over backwards, and they're forced to record every syllable the
buffoon spews out. (I'm finding out that what AOL lacks in common sense, access
numbers, and integrity, they make up for in disk space and shiny CDs! And they
make GREAT coasters!)

Guv Bob

NewBobCity

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

<chesh...@hawaii.rr.com> writes:

>well, now. if someone had explained that to me when i introduced myself to
>the group, then we would not have had this problem i guess. to me, i take no
>responsibility for it because i was not told, and am very angry that some
>people (many took it in the good nature with which it was intended) acted
>like there was a bear in their brush pile because i did that. thank you for
>explaining it to me. from now on i will discontinue any pictures on this
>sight, but refuse to opologize for the on i did post because of the rude and
>completely uncalled for responce to it. fair? sounds fair to me.

LOL!! Sounds fair to me too! Didn't I tell you NetFuzzers so the last time you
started slapping yore rulers around!!! It's the "I'm smarter than you"
syndrome that iritates people. Face it, there are going to be new folks coming
on here. Be a little more friendly or you're going to draw the ire of every one
of them that you pounce on. That ain't exactly the Cowboy Way, you know.

Guv Bob

NewBobCity

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

<chesh...@hawaii.rr.com> writes:

>I guess the big deal about picture being posted passed me by. didn't know
>there was a federal law against it. anyone care to explain?

Yeah, you musta missed it, oh offending one! For shame! For shame!
It goes something like this...

USCode Title 103, Chapter 4, Paragraph 32, Subparagraph R, Yellow Sticky 34..

"... While posting ads for nekkid sites, chain letters, ads for 8.9-cent long
distance services, worthless products, and generally annoying junk email, etc.,
is MORE than welcome at alt.appalachian, it is expressly forbidden to go around
posting any tasteless photos of TREES or MOUNTAINS or RIVERS or other such vile
and hideous natural thangs and as they might take up 0.001% of the hard drives
around the world, which space is now generally reserved for Blackjack,
Solitare, Screensavers, Doom XXXIV, Zork CXII, Lara Does Mars LXIX, and other
vital programs without which the world would cease to exist as we know, and
Iraq will probably get bombed anyway since gas prices are down..."

Guv Bob

cheshirecat

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

Jesse F. James <jfj...@banet.net> wrote in message
36535873...@news3.banet.net...
>On 18 Nov 98 02:56:17 GMT, "fishmoose" <fish...@SPAMSTOPnetset.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Now, let's order pizza, pass
>>out the see-gars and someone put on some HarMonica music!
>

>Uhhh, hold the see-gar...put a Bud with the pizza (Pepperoni, extra
>cheese, please) and see if'n you can find a banjo and fiddle for
>music. I really, really don't care for the Harmonica.

heretic! (this coming from a guy that can only play the tambourine=^.^=)

> Jesse

cheshirecat

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

NewBobCity <newbo...@aol.com> wrote in message
19981118014853...@ngol08.aol.com...

>In article <36524...@news.hawaii.rr.com>, "cheshirecat"

><chesh...@hawaii.rr.com> writes:
>
>>>Uhhh, hold the see-gar...put a Bud with the pizza (Pepperoni, extra
>>>cheese, please) and see if'n you can find a banjo and fiddle for
>>>music. I really, really don't care for the Harmonica.
>>
>>heretic! (this coming from a guy that can only play the tambourine=^.^=)
>
>Tambourinist, eh? Bass or alto?
>
>Guv Bob

Christian!

the Cheshire Cat hides under the bed

fishmoose

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
cheshirecat meowed:

> well, now. if someone had explained that to me when i introduced myself
> the group, then we would not have had this problem i guess. to me, i take
no

Guess you didn't have that shifty-eyed look of a pic-poster.

> responsibility for it because i was not told, and am very angry that some

Hmmm, sounds like Clinton-speak to me!

> people (many took it in the good nature with which it was intended)
acted
> like there was a bear in their brush pile because i did that. thank you
for

Nah, more like a tick in the Tang jar

> explaining it to me. from now on i will discontinue any pictures on this
> sight, but refuse to opologize for the on i did post because of the rude
and
> completely uncalled for responce to it. fair? sounds fair to me.

Yeah, rake ALL of us appies over the coals for someone else's e-mail to ya.
By the way, who gives a rat's patoot whether its fair or not, we're having
way too much fun with it, right Guv??

> the Cheshire Cat strikes again!

Now look Chessy, I did the same dang thing the 1st time I came into this NG
and I got soundly "put in my place" for doing it. Yeah, it hurt my
feelings that I could summon such "aggression" from what seemed like a
friendly bunch o' people. Yep, my dignity took quite a tarnishin' from it
(poor, poor pitiful me!) but LOOK! I survived and I'm still having fun and
all these people are still what I consider good friends (scarey, huh?). So
just simmer down, wipe the fevered sweat off'n yours and your girlfriends
brows and get over it. The quicker you do, the quicker you'll start
enjoying yourself (and us) here in alt.appy. Now, let's order pizza, pass

fishmoose

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
You mean Doom XXXIV has been released already. Dang! Times a wastin'!!!!!

NewBobCity

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98

fishmoose brainstormed...

<< Now, let's order pizza, pass out the see-gars and someone put on some
HarMonica music! >>

I'll have some pizza and a see-gar, but hold off on that whiney-voiced
HarMonica music until I've got something in my stomach, would you boys! LOL!

Guv Bob

NewBobCity

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98

Arnold & Jennifer Pomerance

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98

Too bad AOL doesn't offer a choice of sex or no sex related binary ngs.
If'n ya choose the "sex" option, you'd only get those binary ngs of the
sexual topics. If ya choose the "no sex" option, you'd get all the
other binary ngs! Bet a lot of parents would choose the "no sex"
option!

JP

Tom Scalf

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 05:20:47 GMT, jfj...@banet.net (Jesse F. James)
wrote:

>On 18 Nov 98 02:56:17 GMT, "fishmoose" <fish...@SPAMSTOPnetset.com>
>wrote:
>

>> Now, let's order pizza, pass
>>out the see-gars and someone put on some HarMonica music!
>

>Uhhh, hold the see-gar...put a Bud with the pizza (Pepperoni, extra
>cheese, please)

add mushrooms and sausage, then we'll have us a PMS pizza. Oh, and a
plate of pepperincini and one of anchovys on the side. I'll throw in
for a pitcher......

Oh, what the heck! I'll meet y'all at Millie & Al's Friday night.
Great pizza and cheap beer.

Tom