Shipoke or Shitepoke

Judith Puddy

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

"Clyde\"the\"Guide" (little...@blomand.net) writes:
> Down here in Middle Tennessee we call a green heron a "shipoke" or
> "shitepoke." Does anybody know why? Where did the word originate? Is it
> strictly Appalachian?

My mother, who was a second-generation Canadian born of Irish ancestors,
used "shitepoke" as a swear word in referring to a person! It's as close
as she ever got to a 4-letter word.

Judy

--

=^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^=

Gin

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

Clyde"the"Guide <little...@blomand.net> wrote in article
<34692B...@blomand.net>...

> Down here in Middle Tennessee we call a green heron a "shipoke" or
> "shitepoke." Does anybody know why? Where did the word originate? Is it
> strictly Appalachian?

Doug.....
Glad you asked. I've been curious about the term. But down in South
Central Kentucky, it's "shidepoke."
--
Gin
ky....@woXXXrldnet.atXXXt.net

Jerry_Johnston

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

up in WVA I always heard them called shikeposts. most likely the same
thing.

usinet.urich

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

Judith Puddy wrote in message <64bhh3$i...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>...

>"Clyde\"the\"Guide" (little...@blomand.net) writes:

>> Down here in Middle Tennessee we call a green heron a "shipoke" or
>> "shitepoke." Does anybody know why? Where did the word originate?
Is it
>> strictly Appalachian?
>

>My mother, who was a second-generation Canadian born of Irish
ancestors,
>used "shitepoke" as a swear word in referring to a person! It's as
close
>as she ever got to a 4-letter word.
>
>Judy

A year or so ago I asked a similar question but never got a reply.....
I'm glad to see the word/term was used by folks other than my own
family.

I was born in Cedar Grove, WVa (1930). My dad very often called me
"shikespoke", pronounced something like "shikes-poke".... He did not
use the term in a derogratory sense.. I always thought it was a term
given to young boys who worked in the coal mines or had something to
do with coal.

Could "shikes" be an Irish dialect for "shake" or "shale" or etc......

Ms. Piglet

Nov 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/16/97

Shite is what the Irish say when the English would say it without the
"e". Quite possibly related to the German scheiss.<G>

The number of Appalachian ancestors who have either Irish or German
background argue well for the term's survival.....

piglet

piglet

--
PLEASE NOTE URLS BELOW:
pigo...@worldnet.att.net * coch...@aol.com

Charlie Sorsby

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

=
= The number of Appalachian ancestors who have either Irish or German
= background argue well for the term's survival.....

And, where I come from at least, a poke is a bag. Makes an
interesting combination, eh? Especially as a less than
complimentary name for someone.... :)

--
Best regards,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby Los Alamos, NM "I'm the NRA!"
c...@swcp.com www.swcp.com/~crs Life Member since 1965

usinet.urich

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

Charlie Sorsby wrote in message <650eeu$1...@quail.swcp.com>...

>In article <64mb6s$7...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,
>Ms. Piglet <pigo...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>= Shite is what the Irish say when the English would say it without
the
>= "e". Quite possibly related to the German scheiss.<G>
>=
>= The number of Appalachian ancestors who have either Irish or German
>= background argue well for the term's survival.....
>
>And, where I come from at least, a poke is a bag. Makes an
>interesting combination, eh? Especially as a less than
>complimentary name for someone.... :)

Coal mines used to hire young boys to sift through coal coming out on
a conveyor belt.. Boys job was to throw out derbis and rocks and
stuff.... "Poking" thru th' coal I guess......!

Anybody know what these boys were called...?

Arnold & Jennifer Pomerance

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

Long time ago, someone told me that "shitepoke" was the Pennslyvania
Dutch term for the personal baggage carried by migrant workers.
However, I have a dictionary of "unusual, obscure, and preposterous
words" (the one from Mary Poppins is in here!), so I looked up
"shitepoke" and found it is the green or night heron and that it is
sometimes used for any kind of heron! Confusion to the unwary!!

Jennifer Pomerance
Oak Ridge, Tn.
*Shaganappy n. a rawhide cord or thread.*

usinet.urich

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

Arnold & Jennifer Pomerance wrote in message
<347609...@mindspring.com>...

>Long time ago, someone told me that "shitepoke" was the Pennslyvania
>Dutch term for the personal baggage carried by migrant workers.
>However, I have a dictionary of "unusual, obscure, and preposterous
>words" (the one from Mary Poppins is in here!), so I looked up
>"shitepoke" and found it is the green or night heron and that it is
>sometimes used for any kind of heron! Confusion to the unwary!!

Hi Jennifer

Would you please check your source for 'shikespoke" (with a 'k' )..

Could also be:
shikes poke
shike spoke

Arnold & Jennifer Pomerance

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Unfortunately, none of your words were in my weird dictionary. However
I did find some nifty words like spizzerinctum (a vulgar decoration),
sophomania (delusion of exceptional intelligence), pontage (bridge
toll), pouze (refuse left after cider making), and many others too
numerous to mention! Sorry.

Jennifer Pomerance
Oak Ridge, Tn.

*xenapistia-extreme distrust of strangers*

DMSnake

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

>Jennifer Pomerance
>Oak Ridge, Tn.
>*xenapistia-extreme distrust of strangers*

I thought xenapistia was the state of being angered by low-budget syndicated TV
series....

Snake

Ms. Piglet

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97