Newbieeeee needs help !

Kukuman

Dec 2, 2007, 11:29:09 AM12/2/07
Hi everyone who is kind enough to respond and others.

I am running Windows Xp multi media and downloaded the Apache server
2.xxx runing it as a service.
I have Verizon Fios with a router.
I have purchased a domain with domain.com and now I wouild like to be
able to host a web site.

The domain company is asking for a domain server name

wouild that be my computer name
or the work group name

I belive that I've set my router to accept outside traffic and set it
up in the routers firewall. And I did the same with Windows.

In apache configration

I've done the following
Listen 192.168.1.2:80 #my computer ip address on the local home
network

ServerName SONY123.home:80 #my computer name

Please help me out

Thanks in advance

Kees Nuyt

Dec 2, 2007, 3:11:02 PM12/2/07
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:29:09 GMT, "Kukuman"
<kuku...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have purchased a domain with domain.com and now I

> would like to be able to host a web site.

> The domain company is asking for a domain server name

I think they want to know where to point to for a
authoritive Domain Name Service (DNS) for your domain.
If you don't buy it from them, you have to arrange
something else yourself.
But that is not the topic of this newsgroup, you'd better
ask somewhere else (or read the domain.com documentation
at http://www.domain.com/domains/dnsmanage.php ).

> would that be my computer name

> or the work group name

None of them.

> I've done the following
> Listen 192.168.1.2:80 #my computer ip address
> on the local home network

Listen 80 (without IP) will do fine.

You don't have to tamper with the Apache configuration if
you can reach your server from outside using your public
IP address 71.240.x.y or whatever it may be.

Good luck.
--
( Kees
)
c[_] --------------------------------
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
:
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
:
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
:
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
--------------------------------
(PeteCresswell) (#101)

Kukuman

Dec 3, 2007, 9:15:32 PM12/3/07
Thank you Kees for your kind response

I can access using the //local host and by 192.168.1.2
But when I use 71.240.180.x I get to nowhere.
I tried that from the machine and from another machine and from a totally
different machine out of the network.

Please advice what am I doing missing on.

Thank you once more in advance.

"Kees Nuyt" <k.n...@nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message

kuku...@hotmail.com

Dec 4, 2007, 4:59:38 PM12/4/07
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:11:02 +0100, Kees Nuyt <k.n...@nospam.demon.nl>
wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:29:09 GMT, "Kukuman"
><kuku...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have purchased a domain with domain.com and now I
>> would like to be able to host a web site.
>>
>> The domain company is asking for a domain server name
>
>I think they want to know where to point to for a
>authoritive Domain Name Service (DNS) for your domain.
>If you don't buy it from them, you have to arrange
>something else yourself.
>But that is not the topic of this newsgroup, you'd better
>ask somewhere else (or read the domain.com documentation
>at http://www.domain.com/domains/dnsmanage.php ).
>
>> would that be my computer name
>> or the work group name
>
>None of them.
>
>> I've done the following
>> Listen 192.168.1.2:80 #my computer ip address
>> on the local home network
>
>Listen 80 (without IP) will do fine.
>
>You don't have to tamper with the Apache configuration if
>you can reach your server from outside using your public
>IP address 71.240.x.y or whatever it may be.
>
>Good luck.

Thank you Kees for your kind response

And thanks to anybody who can shed a light.

Jeff Gaines

Dec 4, 2007, 6:12:16 PM12/4/07
On 04/12/2007 in message <g4jbl3l194kkmk06a...@4ax.com>
kuku...@hotmail.com wrote:

>I can access using the //local host and by 192.168.1.2
>But when I use 71.240.180.x I get to nowhere.
>I tried that from the machine and from another machine and from a
>totally
>different machine out of the network.
>
>Please advice what am I doing missing on.

This is a network issue, not an Apache issue.
If your network (the LAN side of it) uses 192.168.n.n addresses then only
PC's using that address range will be able to communicate.
If you are behind a router then you need to set up port forwarding or a
DMZ to allow traffic from the Internet (WAN) in to your network.
If you can't do this then you need to find a network group to assist you.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
"Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying,

kuku...@hotmail.com

Dec 5, 2007, 3:44:47 PM12/5/07
Thank you Jeff for your kind response.

I'll try to get help from a network group.
I appreciate all the help I can get.

This is a great group thanks to all.

On 4 Dec 2007 23:12:16 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgaines...@yahoo.co.uk>