Rough Coat Collie?

Carley

Feb 21, 2001, 10:41:21 PM2/21/01
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could explain what exactly a "rough"
coat collie is? I've heard the phrase used alot to describe collies, but
I'm not sure if it is simply refering to their coat or if it is a
specific breed of collie?

I've learned so much from this group already....so thanks in advance!

Take Care, Carley

Betsy Stocksdale

Feb 21, 2001, 11:42:35 PM2/21/01
It's a long haired collie, the kind of collie "Lassie" was, as opposed to a
smooth collie, which has short hair.

"Carley" <Car...@webtv.net> wrote in message

The Carrolls

Feb 22, 2001, 11:12:15 AM2/22/01

Carley <Car...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could explain what exactly a "rough"
> coat collie is? I've heard the phrase used alot to describe collies, but
> I'm not sure if it is simply refering to their coat or if it is a
> specific breed of collie?

The Rough collie is the collie like Lassie--with a long, heavy mane.

There's also a Smooth collie (same breed here in the US, different variety,
like 13 and 15 inch Beagles, or the different Doxies) that has a coat like a
German Shepherd and the build of the rough.

~Emily

Angela Brooks

Feb 22, 2001, 3:49:25 PM2/22/01
A Rough Collie is a breed of its own. It originated in Scotland. It has a
long coat and comes in three colours, Sable and White, Tri Colour and Blue
Merle. It is best known as a Lassie Collie after appearing in the Lassie
Films. If you require more info one the Rough Collie just ask as I own
three of these.
There is also a Border Collie which you might be refering to. This can
either have a long or short coat. The long coat is sometimes refered to as
a long rough coat. I hope this helps.
Angie.

e in message <20182-3A9...@storefull-284.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Jochen Lueg

Feb 22, 2001, 6:33:27 PM2/22/01
In article <973tih$7vm$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Angela Brooks

<an...@ruffcoll.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> A Rough Collie is a breed of its own. It originated in Scotland. It
> has a long coat and comes in three colours, Sable and White, Tri Colour
> and Blue Merle. It is best known as a Lassie Collie after appearing in
> the Lassie Films.

This seems to be culture thing. Around here (Ulster) a rough collie is a
border collie with very long hair indeed. Our first Tudor was like that, a
black an white ball of dense fur that hated to be dis-entangled.

A long haired collie is a black and white dog that has a nice mane but is
somewhat more restrained in the growth of bodily decoration.

A smooth haired collie is a wee devil that pretends to have short hair but
in fact fills two or three vacuum cleaners a week with black and white
hair and generally pretends to look more tidy than the rest of his
devilish breed.

It is all very complicated and the terms seem to depend upon where you
live.

Jochen

Margaret and/or Jochen Lueg tu...@argonet.co.uk
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/tudor

Marla Belzowski

Feb 22, 2001, 8:11:57 PM2/22/01
Well you have had several answers and that do depends on where you come from
how you would answer.

Actually, rough collie is probably referring to the typical "Lassie" collie.
In the British Isles the term "collie" generally means the border collie,
but in the US "collie" generally means the "Lassie type".

There are actually several different types of "collies"
The Border Collie (which includes a long-haired, rough-coat, and smooth coat
variety)
The Scotch Collie which is separated out as "Rough Collie" and "Smooth
Collie" for the coat variety.
and the Bearded Collie, which sort of looks like an old English Sheep dog
with a tail and a bit smaller in size.

Hope that helps.

Marla Belzowski
& the LegendHold Collie Clan (that's US for Rough collie)

d.guipago-gleave

Feb 22, 2001, 8:58:39 PM2/22/01

"Marla Belzowski" <legen...@johnstown.net> wrote in message

> Well you have had several answers and that do depends on where you come
from
> how you would answer.
>
> Actually, rough collie is probably referring to the typical "Lassie"
collie.

Correct

> In the British Isles the term "collie" generally means the border collie,

correct

> but in the US "collie" generally means the "Lassie type".
>
> There are actually several different types of "collies"
> The Border Collie (which includes a long-haired, rough-coat, and smooth
coat
> variety)

correct

> The Scotch Collie which is separated out as "Rough Collie" and "Smooth
> Collie" for the coat variety.

UK don't refer to Scotch Collie, we call it the Rough or the Lassie, [in
fact
most English people will say Lassie collie as the breed name instead of
Rough !] , and the Smooth Coat Rough [ !! ] [ to separate it from Smooth
Border Collie}.

> and the Bearded Collie, which sort of looks like an old English Sheep dog
> with a tail and a bit smaller in size.

And a different coat type altogether,[ and, happily, a lot more Old English
Sheep dogs are getting to keep their tails in UK nowadays !!]

We also recognise, as collies, the Welsh collie which is smaller, and
silkier haired, than a Border Collie, and the Sheltie [correct breed name,
Shetland Sheepdog] which looks a lot like a miniature Rough [ or Lassie !! ]
collie, and often are mistaken as Rough Collie pups here.

We [UK] also recognise many other breeds as sheepdogs but without the
"collie" tag, including Alsatian, Belgian Shepherd, Corgi, Australian Sheep
Dog, Anatolian Shepherd dog, Borzoi, Briard,Maremma Sheepdog, Polish
Sheepdog, Rottweiler, but they don't get to do sheep work here, at last none
I`ve come across as yet.

Hope that clarifies the UK terms.
Regards, Patch.

JLNCollies

Feb 23, 2001, 10:33:03 AM2/23/01
>A Rough Collie is a breed of its own. It originated in Scotland. It has a
>long coat and comes in three colours, Sable and White, Tri Colour and Blue
>Merle.

make that four colors. It also comes in white with various color heads.

JLNCollies

Feb 23, 2001, 10:33:54 AM2/23/01
>This seems to be culture thing. Around here (Ulster) a rough collie is a
>border collie with very long hair indeed.

a Border Collie is a separate breed all of it's own.

d.guipago-gleave

Feb 23, 2001, 10:44:55 AM2/23/01

"JLNCollies" <jlnco...@aol.comnowhere> wrote in message

Poster meant sable WITH white. US has white with various colour heads, UK
[ where the breed originates], has Sable WITH white, Tri-colour [ the most
common] and Blue Merle.
Patch

Jochen Lueg

Feb 23, 2001, 11:14:15 AM2/23/01
In article <20010223103354...@ng-fx1.aol.com>,

Not around here. No-one talks of border collies, just of collies as in:
"Man Sir, that's a nice coalie doog you have there". When people talk
about what Americans call a collie they generally say Lassy type collie,
or something like that.