experimental houdini export code

Imre Tuske

Dec 6, 2011, 12:45:00 PM12/6/11
to alembic-discussion
Hi,

I've put together a Houdini ROP that can export transform hierarchies
and polymeshes into alembic format. I uploaded it to github:

https://github.com/johnnyquest/hAbcGeomExport

Nothing fancy, but it does the job more or less. I hope it will be
useful.

imre

ps.: I'm still desperate and in poor condition because of the state of
things when it comes to building it on windows, so _please_ feel free
to share the wisdom if you manage to compile it there (some project
files would be even better :)).

Andrew Lyons

Dec 6, 2011, 2:03:17 PM12/6/11
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Cool! Thanks!

For RSS or Atom feeds related to Alembic, see:

http://groups.google.com/group/alembic-dev/feeds

http://groups.google.com/group/alembic-discussion/feeds

--
=======================================
=======================================

schwendigodangerweenie

Jan 23, 2012, 11:08:08 AM1/23/12
to alembic-discussion
Hi Imre,

I just tried installing this under OSX Lion and Houdini 11.

I built Alembic from source, then edited your makefile as per the
instructions in the INSTALL.txt file you included.

I ran "make" from the Houdini shell terminal, and got this error part
way through:

"/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/11.1.72/Resources/
toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Align.h: In function ‘void* SYSamalloc(size_t,
size_t)’:
/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/11.1.72/Resources/
toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Align.h:84: error: ‘memalign’ was not declared
in this scope
make: *** [src/GeoObject.o] Error 1
mofomacpro:johnnyquest-hAbcGeomExport-9fa6a8d $"

Any advice?

Thanks!

Matt

Jon Macey

Jan 23, 2012, 3:39:18 PM1/23/12
to alembic-discussion
I had the same issue and modified the SYS_Align.h code as follows

inline void *SYSamalloc(size_t b, size_t a)
{ return malloc(b); }//memalign(a, b); }

This matches the mac OSX version which is a few lines below in the
code, however when I tried to get it working using the correct -D
MBSD for mac version got loads of other errors so it is a hack!

After this I got the following errors

ld: duplicate symbol bool GVEXimportData<UT_Matrix4T<float>
>(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Matrix4T<float>&)in src/hAbcGeomExport.o
and src/GeoObject.o for architecture x86_64

Which I can't track down as it seems to be some issues with the
templates somewhere, however if I nm the .o file there seems to be no
duplicates, not had another look for a while, did have it working
under linux but it is quite unstable.

hope this helps a bit

Jon

schwendigo

Jan 24, 2012, 6:59:04 PM1/24/12
to alembic-discussion
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply.

I will try that mod to Sys_Align.h - it's weird though, because it
seems to have a provision for OSX (elif = MBSD), right?

Not sure what the error on line 84 is popping up, b/c that's in the
LINUX elif block.

In any case, I read somewhere that the duplicates sometimes have to do
with getting rid of make temp and cache files ...

I'm new to programming and compiling, so I don't know if that makes
any sense, but I thought it couldn't hurt to pass along.

Please do let me know if you get this working on OS X, and I'll do the
same.

Best,

Matt

Matthew Foglia

Jan 27, 2012, 1:25:02 PM1/27/12
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

I tried your advice, and I am getting a different error - maybe you could take a look?

Here's the output:

g++� -shared src/GeoObject.o src/hAbcGeomExport.o src/abcexportctrl.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/Users/mofo/ALEMBIC_BUILD/lib/Alembic� -lHalf -lIex -lhdf5 -lhdf5_hl -lAlembicAbcCoreHDF5 -lAlembicAbcCoreAbstract -lAlembicAbc -lAlembicAbcGeom -lAbcWFObjConvert -lAlembicUtil -lGLU -lGL -lX11 -lXext -lXi -ldl -lpthread -o/dso/hAbcExport.so
ld: unknown option: -o/dso/hAbcExport.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/dso/hAbcExport.so] Error 1

On Jan 23, 4:08�pm, schwendigodangerweenie <m.fog...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Imre,

I just tried installing this under OSX Lion and Houdini 11.

I built Alembic from source, then edited your makefile as per the
instructions in the INSTALL.txt file you included.

I ran "make" from the Houdini shell terminal, and got this error part
way through:

"/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/11.1.72/Resources/
toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Align.h: In function �void* SYSamalloc(size_t,
size_t)�:
/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/11.1.72/Resources/
toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Align.h:84: error: �memalign� was not declared
in this scope
make: *** [src/GeoObject.o] Error 1
mofomacpro:johnnyquest-hAbcGeomExport-9fa6a8d $"

Any advice?

Thanks!

Matt

Nicholas Yue

Jan 27, 2012, 4:39:09 PM1/27/12
On 28/01/12 5:25 AM, Matthew Foglia wrote:
Hi Jon,

I tried your advice, and I am getting a different error - maybe you could take a look?

Here's the output:

g++� -shared src/GeoObject.o src/hAbcGeomExport.o src/abcexportctrl.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/Users/mofo/ALEMBIC_BUILD/lib/Alembic� -lHalf -lIex -lhdf5 -lhdf5_hl -lAlembicAbcCoreHDF5 -lAlembicAbcCoreAbstract -lAlembicAbc -lAlembicAbcGeom -lAbcWFObjConvert -lAlembicUtil -lGLU -lGL -lX11 -lXext -lXi -ldl -lpthread -o/dso/hAbcExport.so
ld: unknown option: -o/dso/hAbcExport.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/dso/hAbcExport.so] Error 1
Hi Jon,

��� The above looks likes a missing space character i.e. it should probably be "-o /dso/hAbcExport.so"

Regards
--
Nicholas Yue
Graphics - RenderMan, Houdini, Visualization, OpenGL, HDF5