Perl API Support.

Rick

Mar 8, 2010, 12:50:48 PM3/8/10
to AdWords API Forum
We've been using the perl api for v13, and are trying to use the v2009
api.

However, the perl api appears broken, and we're just not getting any
response from google about when, or even if, it will be fixed.

What will happen on April 22, then? Will the v13 calls be turned off,
in spite of the fact that the v2009 api is broken?

If google is not going to actually support perl, is there any
consensus on what api they actually support best so we can migrate to
that language?

Rick

AdWords API Advisor

Mar 16, 2010, 6:24:39 PM3/16/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Rick

We are aware that the Perl client library is out of date, and we are
actively working on updating it to take full advantage of the v200909
version of the API. We encourage AdWords API Perl developers to
contribute to the open source project and help to accelerate the
process, but we want you to understand that this work will not be
completed prior to the April 22 sunset of most v13 services. We
recommend that developers either migrate their applications to another
language and client library (such as PHP, Python, etc.) or continue
the development of their own implementation in Perl. A complete list
of the AdWords API client libraries is available here:

http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/clients.html

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team

MrRamius

Mar 16, 2010, 11:10:08 PM3/16/10
to AdWords API Forum
I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to in the FAQ
or on the forums. Maybe I just haven't looked into the right places
yet, but since this is a particularly frustrating response, I'll ask
here.

Why?

I know when v13 is sunsetting, but what I can't seem to figure out is
why Google is making us support two versions of the same code in the
first place? Why not leave v13 alone until v2009 has functional up-to-
date client libraries... or at least, hey, until v2009 actually has
all of its services complete and in production? Is there really that
much of a problem with leaving v13 around?

john napiorkowski

Mar 17, 2010, 10:48:06 AM3/17/10
to AdWords API Forum

On Mar 16, 6:24 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:

> Hi Rick
>
> We are aware that the Perl client library is out of date, and we are
> actively working on updating it to take full advantage of the v200909
> version of the API.  We encourage AdWords API Perl developers to
> contribute to the open source project and help to accelerate the
> process, but we want you to understand that this work will not be
> completed prior to the April 22 sunset of most v13 services.  We
> recommend that developers either migrate their applications to another
> language and client library (such as PHP, Python, etc.) or continue
> the development of their own implementation in Perl.  A complete list
> of the AdWords API client libraries is available here:
>
>  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/clients.html
>
> Best,
> - Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team

Recently blogged about this decision over at:
http://jjnapiorkowski.vox.com/library/post/google-do-no-evil-to-perl.html

I hope we can work together to address this problem. I really don't
think "use a language other then Perl or write your own bindings" is a
very productive solution. I hope we can do better.

AdWords API Advisor

Mar 17, 2010, 3:25:45 PM3/17/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi All,

To help you get started using and updating the client library, we've
made sure that the current code is up to date with most of the
services from v200909 of the API.

The only services that are missing from this build are InfoService,
BulkMutateJobService, and TargetingIdeaService. These services
require further patches to the SOAP module in order to support
multiple namespaces. For example, some of the obejcts in the
InfoService are shared with cm/ and thus defined with
https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/ namespace, others are
unique to this service and are defined under https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/info/
namespace. We hope to implement these patches with your help. The
latest version of the code can be found at:

http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-perl/.

Note that the client library requires patched version of the
SOAP::WSDL module, thus make sure to follow instructions in the README
file:

http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-perl/source/browse/trunk/README

On Mar 17, 10:48 am, john napiorkowski <jjn1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 6:24 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi Rick
>
> > We are aware that the Perl client library is out of date, and we are
> > actively working on updating it to take full advantage of the v200909
> > version of the API.  We encourage AdWords API Perl developers to
> > contribute to the open source project and help to accelerate the
> > process, but we want you to understand that this work will not be
> > completed prior to the April 22 sunset of most v13 services.  We
> > recommend that developers either migrate their applications to another
> > language and client library (such as PHP, Python, etc.) or continue
> > the development of their own implementation in Perl.  A complete list
> > of the AdWords API client libraries is available here:
>
> >  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/clients.html
>
> > Best,
> > - Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team
>

> Recently blogged about this decision over at:http://jjnapiorkowski.vox.com/library/post/google-do-no-evil-to-perl....

john napiorkowski

Mar 18, 2010, 9:57:46 AM3/18/10
to AdWords API Forum

On Mar 17, 3:25 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> To help you get started using and updating the client library, we've
> made sure that the current code is up to date with most of the
> services from v200909 of the API.
>
> The only services that are missing from this build are InfoService,
> BulkMutateJobService, and TargetingIdeaService.  These services
> require further patches to the SOAP module in order to support
> multiple namespaces.  For example, some of the obejcts in the

> InfoService are shared with cm/ and thus defined withhttps://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/namespace, others are
> unique to this service and are defined underhttps://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/info/

> namespace.  We hope to implement these patches with your help.  The
> latest version of the code can be found at:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-perl/.
>
> Note that the client library requires patched version of the
> SOAP::WSDL module, thus make sure to follow instructions in the README
> file:
>

>  http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-perl/source/browse/trunk/...

> Best,
> - Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team

This is a great start. I want to say I appreciate your timely
response to this issue. We are going to try building this code today
and see how it goes; I'll post feedback later today. I will also be
posting a followup on the previously mentioned blog regarding your
efforts here.

I think some things I'd like to help work out would include:

1) SOAP::WSDL patches, if these are good patches I will contact the
cpan author and see if we can get them integrated and released on
CPAN. CPAN is the standard toolchain for perl developers and is the
community approved method for contributing code. So if these changes
are needed I'd like to get them on CPAN. Please consider if this can
work with your legal team and terms. We' d be happy to add a note to
the author section saying something like, "some code contributed by
Google" or similar. Let me know what you think

2) Ideally this code in google-api-adwords would also get released to
CPAN in a regular way. obviously the developer repo and related tools
like bugtracking and discussion can reside anywhere, but again any
Perl developer would look to CPAN first for code. If the existing
Google::Adwords module is going be be considered deprecated I need to
get the author to mark a new release as such, and ideally we'd cut a
working version of the code in the repository over here onto CPAN,
like under Google::API::Adwords or similar. Is there someone on the
Google end that wants to own this CPAN module? If you need help
getting this together I would gladly assist.

Myself I am not a SOAP expert. In general SOAP is not preferred by
any dynamic language, it is a better fit for strongly typed languages
such as Java. So I can't assist very much on that side. However I
can act to help facilitate communication between our communities and
with other bookekeeping tasks, like CPAN access, etc. Some developers
on our side may be willing to put some additional time into getting
all this working.

Thanks!

John Napiorkowski

AdWords API Advisor

Mar 19, 2010, 4:59:08 PM3/19/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi John,

Thanks for the great feedback, and for offering to help move this
project forward. Having the Perl and AdWords communities working
together would be great and we're open to the possibilities it can
bring.

We would appreciate it if you could get us in touch with the
maintainers of SOAP::WSDL module. It would be great to talk in detail
about the patches and how those changes can be worked into the core
library.

In regards to the AdWords library on CPAN, we agree that the old
library is deprecated and should be marked as such. Putting the new
library on CPAN would be great for developers, but what's held us back
from doing that in the past is that the installation is currently very
manual, involving the SOAP::WSDL patches, etc. We can work on
eliminating these steps so that distribution of the library is
simpler.

Thanks again for the interest and excitement. We look forward to
working with you and other Perl developers.

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team

Tim Bunce

Mar 22, 2010, 10:28:36 AM3/22/10
to AdWords API Advisor, AdWords API Forum, kutt...@users.sourceforge.net, ro...@almeida.in
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 01:59:08PM -0700, AdWords API Advisor wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the great feedback, and for offering to help move this
> project forward. Having the Perl and AdWords communities working
> together would be great and we're open to the possibilities it can
> bring.
>
> We would appreciate it if you could get us in touch with the
> maintainers of SOAP::WSDL module.

The SOAP::WSDL module is maintained on sourceforge. The author,
Martin Kutter, can be reached at kutt...@users.sourceforge.net [CC'd]

The development mailing list is also on sourceforge. The archive is at:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=soap-wsdl-devel
You can subscribe via http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=111978

> It would be great to talk in detail about the patches and how those
> changes can be worked into the core library.

I've recently raised the issue of better support for AdWords with Martin.
See "Current Status? (especially re support for Google Adwords)" in the
archives.) I believe he's keen to see the situation improved.

He's recently made a development test release to CPAN
http://search.cpan.org/~mkutter/SOAP-WSDL-2.00.99_1/
which has shown up a range of problems in automated testing:
http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=SOAP-WSDL+2.00.99_1

> In regards to the AdWords library on CPAN, we agree that the old
> library is deprecated and should be marked as such.

To help with that I added a review a while ago to point out it wasn't
being updated and to direct people to the new API:
http://cpanratings.perl.org/dist/Google-Adwords

Rohan [CC'd] would you consider deleting your all your Google-Adwords
distributions from CPAN? They'll still all be available via BACKPAN
(http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/R/RO/ROHAN/) but deleting them will
mean Google-Adwords will no longer be indexed or appear on search.cpan.org.
That'll reduce the current confusion. FYI You can delete the files at
https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=delete_files

> Putting the new library on CPAN would be great for developers,

Not just for developers but for yourselves as authors. The automated
testing you get via cpantesters (see above) is invaluable.

> but what's held us back
> from doing that in the past is that the installation is currently very
> manual, involving the SOAP::WSDL patches, etc. We can work on
> eliminating these steps so that distribution of the library is
> simpler.
>
> Thanks again for the interest and excitement. We look forward to
> working with you and other Perl developers.

Since Martin's time is limited and he's very open to contributors
(see http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/MKUTTER/SOAP-WSDL-2.00.99_1/HACKING)
perhaps one of the adwords developers could spare some time to
contribute directly to the project and commit changes to the repository.

Now would be a great time as Martin's working towards a major release
based on the Typemap branch that AdWords API uses.

Tim.

Rohan Almeida

Mar 22, 2010, 11:14:18 AM3/22/10
to Tim....@pobox.com, AdWords API Advisor, AdWords API Forum, kutt...@users.sourceforge.net

Hi,

> Rohan [CC'd] would you consider deleting your all your Google-Adwords
> distributions from CPAN? They'll still all be available via BACKPAN
> (http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/R/RO/ROHAN/) but deleting them will
> mean Google-Adwords will no longer be indexed or appear on search.cpan.org.
> That'll reduce the current confusion. FYI You can delete the files at
> https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=delete_files

Sure, I'll do this. Any specific date in mind, or I should just
go ahead and delete them all right now?

I can help with the CPAN maintenance of the new module. The
current code hosted at code.google.com is under the Apache
License 2.0, which seems quite liberal to me in creation of
derivative works, and hosting that on another public place.

I'll also get my hands dirty with SOAP::WSDL.

Thanks,
Rohan

Tim Bunce

Mar 22, 2010, 12:34:59 PM3/22/10
to Rohan Almeida, Tim....@pobox.com, AdWords API Advisor, AdWords API Forum, kutt...@users.sourceforge.net
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 08:44:18PM +0530, Rohan Almeida wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >Rohan [CC'd] would you consider deleting your all your Google-Adwords
> >distributions from CPAN? They'll still all be available via BACKPAN
> >(http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/R/RO/ROHAN/) but deleting them will
> >mean Google-Adwords will no longer be indexed or appear on search.cpan.org.
> >That'll reduce the current confusion. FYI You can delete the files at
> >https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=delete_files
>
> Sure, I'll do this. Any specific date in mind, or I should just go
> ahead and delete them all right now?

Perhaps best to wait till Google's perl API supports all the features.
Their README suggest there are still a few gaps for which people might
want to use your module:
http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-perl/source/browse/trunk/README

> I can help with the CPAN maintenance of the new module. The current
> code hosted at code.google.com is under the Apache License 2.0,
> which seems quite liberal to me in creation of derivative works, and
> hosting that on another public place.

True, though it would be good to avoid even the impression of a fork.
If the google team are open and willing to accept patches and work with
the community, which they've clearly stated as an aim, then there should
be no need to create derivative works or host elsewhere.
(Though if someone wanted to do that then a git repro with a master that
tracked google would be a good approach that they can easily use to pull
patches back into the mainline.)

> I'll also get my hands dirty with SOAP::WSDL.

Wonderful!

Tim.