ReportJob name length restriction?

Eric

Aug 4, 2008, 2:50:56 PM8/4/08
to AdWords API Forum, etr...@covario.com
We are getting the following fault on one of our DefinedReportJob
requests:

AxisFault
faultCode: {http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/
envelope/}Server.userException
faultSubcode:
faultString: One or more report job parameters is invalid.
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:
{https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/v12}fault:
<ns1:code>30</ns1:code>

<ns1:message>One or more report job parameters is invalid.</
ns1:message>

<ns1:trigger>Report name cannot exceed 80 characters</
ns1:trigger>

The fault is clear, except that there is no mention of a limit in the
API document for ReportJob. In fact the documentation states "The
name of the report. This can be anything you like. The name is
optional." The other oddity is that we have other DefinedReportJob
requests with just as long if not longer report names which are
processed just fine. Is this an actual limitation or a mis-configured
server? If it is an actual limitation, what version did the
limitation go into effect? Our report name code did not change from
V11 to V12.

Thanks.

-Eric

AdWords API Advisor

Aug 5, 2008, 10:15:25 AM8/5/08
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Eric,

I'm able to reproduce that behavior, and I'll ping the documentation
team asking them to reflect that limitation in the docs.

I can't find a combination of report options that does let a report
go through with a name longer than 80 characters, so if you have a
counter-example I'd be interested to see it (with any sensitive
information X-ed out).

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team