Content campaigns - site targetting as default

Peer Jakobsen

May 14, 2008, 1:27:00 PM5/14/08
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

We have noticed that the adwords interface now lets you choose:

Anywhere on the network
or
Only on placements I target

below the content network option in the campaign edit screen.

This option used to be decided based on whether we created site
targets or keywords in the adgroups. When we create a content
campaign, adwords default to "Only on placements I target" even though
our adgroups only contains keywords.

How can we make sure that we get the "Anywhere on the network" option
during campaign creation? Can this be done through the API or do we
currently have to log into adwords and flip it manually?

Can we assume that we are allowed to create both keywords and websites
together in the same adgroup now?

Thanks,
Peer Jakobsen
eSearchVision

AdWords API Advisor

May 14, 2008, 1:56:56 PM5/14/08
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Peer,

I'm not aware of any changes that would allow for ad groups to
contain both keyword and website targets. To the best of my knowledge
each campaign is still restricted to either being keyword-targeted or
placement/website-targeted, regardless of whether it runs on the
search network, the content network, or both.

Could you pass along an example campaign id for which you're seeing
these options in the AdWords web interface?

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

Peer Jakobsen

May 14, 2008, 2:20:19 PM5/14/08
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jeff,

This new thing only seems to be available on some of the accounts we
manage. When you login to these accounts the campaign edit screen has
completely changed and the adgroup screen now includes both a keyword
and site target tab at the same time, with a big "New" logo on the
site target tab.

The campaign in question has the id: 21584353

Thanks,

/PJ

AdWords API Advisor

May 14, 2008, 3:21:47 PM5/14/08
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Peer,

After asking around a bit, this appears to be a feature that is in
very limited testing right now. There isn't any direct support for
these types of campaigns in the AdWords API, as is usually the case
with new features that are not widely available. I'd think that either
manually flipping the bit via the web UI or alternatively not creating
new campaigns in those accounts via the API (assuming your client has
an alternate account) would be the way to go for the time being.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick

AdWords API Advisor

May 22, 2008, 10:45:30 AM5/22/08
to AdWords API Forum
...and after escalating this a bit more to the core engineering team,
it turns out that there *is* support for changing this targeting
option. It was added in v12 of the API and due to a snafu in the
documentation process, it never made it into the release notes/public
documentation. This should be corrected within a few days when a push
of the documentation occurs, and I'll post again when that's out.

The field has been in the production version of the CampaignService
WSDLs since v12 was released, and it's the contentTargeting attribute
of the Campaign object. It can be set to one of two values:
AllPlacements or SelectedPlacements, corresponding to the values in
the web UI.

Please note that this setting will only have an effect if you're
accessing an account that has been whitelisted for the new feature.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

On May 14, 3:21 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

AdWords API Advisor

May 27, 2008, 3:14:46 PM5/27/08
to AdWords API Forum
This has now made it into the docs at

http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/Campaign.html#contentTargeting

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

On May 22, 10:45 am, AdWords API Advisor