mapping zip codes or cities to Metropolitan Region Codes

CraigSchmidt

Jan 27, 2010, 4:26:08 PM1/27/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi There,

I'd like to know which cities or zip codes are included in each Metro
Code listed here:

http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/developer/adwords_api_us_metros.html

In the Adwords web gui, I can see these cities, so that information
must be available. Even better, I'd like to be able to know which zip
codes match to a given metro region.

This questions seems to have been asked a number of times over the
years on this group, but it has never been answered.

The metro codes don't seem to correspond directly to the US Census MSA
(Metropolitan Statistical Areas). This page:

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=87172

might suggest you're using Arbitron based regions, but those don't
seem to line up either.

If the answer is that that information isn't available, how about a
pointer to what sort of region you're using.

Thanks very much for any hints.

-Craig Schmidt

AdWords API Advisor

Jan 28, 2010, 2:19:07 PM1/28/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Craig,

Unfortunately there is currently no way get the cities and zip codes
that belong to a metro. The metro codes used by the API are the
Designated Marketing Areas (DMAs) supplied by Nielsen:

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100477

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team