New Python Client Library

AdWords API Advisor

Jan 25, 2008, 5:32:28 PM1/25/08
to AdWords API Forum, bto...@google.com

We are happy to announce the release of our new Python client library
((http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-python-lib/).

The AdWords API Python Client Library makes it easier to write Python
clients to programmatically access AdWords accounts. Main features
include:

o the ability to hide the SOAP layer from end users,
o on demand logging of all SOAP messages,
o support for API calls against the production system or sandbox,
o automatic data type conversion for all API call parameters,
o tracking of all API usage, and
o report downloading in XML or CSV formats.

The Python Client Library is located at http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-python-lib/

Additional information can be found at
http://google-api-adwords-python-lib.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/README.

Bugs and feature requests can be filed at
http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-python-lib/issues/list.

-- Borana Toska, Product Marketing

Jonathan Shapiro

Jan 27, 2008, 11:53:09 AM1/27/08
to AdWords API Forum
It's disappointing to see that this library is based on SOAPpy--a no-
longer-maintained library filled with quirks and bugs that we've had
to work around in our past development efforts.

Why not use the ZSI SOAP library, which is being actively maintained?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywebsvcs/

AdWords API Advisor

Jan 28, 2008, 9:11:03 AM1/28/08
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jonathan,

This library attempts to address many of the quirks of SOAPpy toolkit.
This is done by managing SOAP operations in a separate layer and
taking care of complex data types. But, it's main purpose is to make
it easier to write Python clients to access AdWords accounts. SOAPpy
and ZSI toolkits provide similar functionality. Though, some tasks
such as setting/updating SOAP headers are easier to perform through
SOAPpy than ZSI. In this case, it was a choice between maintainability
and ease of use.

Please, file a feature request at http://code.google.com/p/google-api-adwords-python-lib/issues/list,
I will explore the possibility of providing support for ZSI, in
addition to SOAPpy.

--Stan Grinberg, AdWords API Team

On Jan 27, 11:53 am, Jonathan Shapiro <Jonathan.K.Shap...@gmail.com>