Installation Error when installing on Windows XP

Shree

Oct 13, 2009, 6:55:34 AM10/13/09
to adva-cms
Ruby: version 1.8.6
Rails: version 2.3.4
Os: Windows XP

Got a problem while installation.

I was following "Installation: Edge version manually" section from the
readme of adva_cms given in github.
When I tried to run 4th step:
"rake adva:install:core -R vendor/adva/engines/adva_cms/lib/
tasks"
got the error: "unknown file type: ../adva/engines/adva_activity".

The trace of the error is given in this screenshot: http://i36.tinypic.com/29krngo.png

Any idea?

Rob Sterner

Oct 13, 2009, 8:19:48 AM10/13/09
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the installer's using a *nix symlink (ln -s) instead of an NTFS
symlink (mklink)?

Shree

Oct 14, 2009, 2:37:31 AM10/14/09
to adva-cms
So, how can I check it and correct it?

On Oct 13, 5:19 pm, Rob Sterner <rob.ster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe the installer's using a *nix symlink (ln -s) instead of an NTFS
> symlink (mklink)?

MarcRic

Oct 26, 2009, 11:38:45 PM10/26/09
to adva-cms
Hi Shree,

Apparently, Linux and OS/X developers never ever test their products
(the installation procedure at least) with the "so uncommonly used
O.S.".

I would like to know how to fix it also, because I'm a newbie in
Rails, and looking at some open source projects last week I have the
same issue in nothing less then three of them.

HELP!

MarcRic

Oct 26, 2009, 11:30:58 PM10/26/09
to adva-cms
Hi,

Another one with the same problem.

I'm about to choose a Rails CMS to use, and adva-cms looks promising
by descriptions.

If only I could get it working by localhost...

This "symlink" issue looks very common.

I would like to see this CMS working also.

Any idea on how to fix this?

MarcRic

Oct 26, 2009, 11:50:11 PM10/26/09
to adva-cms
Shree,

I have opened an issue at github:

http://github.com/svenfuchs/adva_cms/issues#issue/4

Lets see if we have any answer this way.

Regards.

Sven Fuchs

Oct 27, 2009, 4:35:29 AM10/27/09
to adva...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 27, 2009, at 4:38 AM, MarcRic wrote:
> Apparently, Linux and OS/X developers never ever test their products
> (the installation procedure at least) with the "so uncommonly used
> O.S.".

Do you test your products on OS/X?

> I would like to know how to fix it also, because I'm a newbie in
> Rails, and looking at some open source projects last week I have the
> same issue in nothing less then three of them.

If you can't fix it yourself then adva-cms probably is not for you. No
offense, but this is a quite advanced piece of software.

Patches welcome.

Sergio Brant

Oct 27, 2009, 6:28:52 AM10/27/09
to adva...@googlegroups.com
I use junction (earlier from http://www.sysinternals.com) to make symlinks in XP. Take a look at

http://technet.microsoft.com/pt-br/sysinternals/bb896768%28en-us%29.aspx

[]s

MarcRic

Oct 27, 2009, 8:59:02 AM10/27/09
to adva-cms
Thanks Sergio,

I remember I have used some thing like this on my early day on Windows
(but don't call it junctions).

Anyway, this junction tool can let us check if a name is a junction,
create and delete them.

But which are the desired junctions the installation procedure needs?

I'm a newbie (in Rails), as stated before, and don't have a clue.

Thanks anyway.

On Oct 27, 8:28 am, Sergio Brant <smbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use junction (earlier fromhttp://www.sysinternals.com) to make symlinks

MarcRic

Oct 27, 2009, 9:39:49 AM10/27/09
to adva-cms
Hi Sven,

First of all SORRY for the first impression.

I know we are dealing with an open source effort here, and there was
no intentional offenses in my words.

Unfortunately adva-cms was one of the last in my "check this Rails
cms" list. And half of a dozen Rails cms I have tested before fails in
the install procedure. There was 4 AM and I was really upset.

> Do you test your products on OS/X?

If only I have one to test... I'm just trying to select a good Rails
CMS to use.

What can I say about that? Here in Brazil Mac OS/X is not found every
corner (if I ask my nowadays team mates and colleagues for a Mac to
test something, the answer will be NONE).

Nothing against OS/X and Linux as development tools - just the
opposite, on the other hand I think we can find a Windows system every
corner around the World.

So, I still thinking it is easier to develop under Linux or OS/X and
ask someone else to test it on Windows, then the opposite.

> If you can't fix it yourself then adva-cms probably is not for you. No
> offense, but this is a quite advanced piece of software.

OK, I deserve that. But since I'm just trying to use it, I will stay
around for a while, gathering information on how to get it running on
Windows (if you don't mind) OK.

I really think adva-cms could be "the one".

Thanks and accept my apologies.

Torsten Becker

Oct 27, 2009, 9:50:53 AM10/27/09
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc,

thanks for your answer. In a group of mostly Mac developers, some of
the Windows features are always difficult to test. Yes, we would like
to have a windows version, but we are not the windows experts. If
someone with a PC can help with making the install work, that would be
great for everyone.

Torsten
Dr. Torsten Becker
BESTgroup Consulting & Software GmbH
Kurfürstendamm 42 10719 Berlin Germany
Tel +49 30 2000 390-0
Fax +49 30 2000 390-12
Mobile +49 171 443 1973
www.best-group.eu

Sergio Brant

Oct 27, 2009, 10:09:56 AM10/27/09
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Torsten,

Do you have a list of sub-directories that should be symlinked to others? This could help.
[]s

Torsten Becker

Oct 27, 2009, 10:31:21 AM10/27/09
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Sergio,

the sym-linking happens in adva_cms.rake (which you can find in engines/adva_cms/lib/tasks)

Look at, e.g. Line 131 the install procedure and lines 61 and 81 for copying of plugins.

The symlinks copy javascript, images, etc from the engines assets to the public folder.

Hope this helps

Torsten