MS Excel PDF multiple sheets simultaneously - Adobe 7.0

Tony_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2005, 11:13:04 AM5/3/05
I often pdf several tabs from an excel workbook at the same time into 1 pdf. for some reason many times it will only pdf them one at a time, meaning i have to create 5 separate pdfs, then manually combine those files. any ideas how to fix that? i have a new HP pentium 4 computer with windows xp. any help is appreciated, it's become a daily nuisance

Jan_Sc...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 7:09:01 PM5/4/05
Two questions ...

1. How are you creating the PDF from Excel? Hopefully, you are selecting the "Entire Workbook" option from the dailog box that greets you when you've executed FILE > PRINT from within Excel.

2. Are you really running just plain version 7 Of Acrobat, or are you really running 7.0.1?

Tony_...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 7:27:33 PM5/4/05
sorry it is 7.0.1

usually do not want the entire workbook, so I highlight say 4-5 worksheets within the workbook, then do file, print, and select adobe as my printer

Jan_Sc...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 7:36:54 PM5/4/05
<<< I highlight say 4-5 worksheets within the workbook, then do file, print, and select adobe as my printer >>>

And you've selected "Active Sheets" in the Excel print dialog box, right?

Jan_Sc...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 7:47:49 PM5/4/05
I cannot replicate what you're getting. I printed several "grouped" worksheets from Excel files to PDF whilst awaiting your response here this evening and they all worked every single time. Each one ended up as a single, multiple-paged PDF file.

This is one time I wished I'd failed so I could at least see the end result you're getting. I'm sorry. :(

Tony_...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 7:43:58 PM5/4/05
correct, active sheets. it will begin printing, ask me to choose the name of the pdf file, then it prints the first page, saves it, then creates a new file for the next sheet. i thought it might be a setting in adobe, but it works correctly probably 20% of the time.

Tony_...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 7:53:23 PM5/4/05
well thanks for trying anyway. i'm wondering if it could have something to do with the available memory on our server or my computer. it must be something on my machine, i suppose. thanks for the feedback

Jan_Sc...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 7:55:29 PM5/4/05
<<< it must be something on my machine >>>

I have to agree with that statement, particularly because you said you have been successful some of the time in executing the process correctly.

Have you tried the inane stuff like cleaning out all your temp files, defragging, etc., etc.?

Tony_...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2005, 9:04:58 PM5/4/05
will now, had not previously

de_...@adobeforums.com

May 5, 2005, 5:11:06 AM5/5/05
No no no no defragging required. It's all to do with the different page setups for the individual sheets within your workbook. They should be the same otherwise Excel creates multiple printjobs.

1: open excel doc
2: go to file>print select the adobe pdf printer
3: click on properties>layout>advanced check the page size make sure it's what you want.
4: click ok to go back to the Excel print dialog box
5: here select preview, check if the preview is good if it is print the excel doc to pdf if not continue to step 6
6: in the preview click on setup...
7: Under the page tab, set your scaling options, make sure the paper size is the same as in step 3 and as said loweer the print quality to 600 or 300 dpi.
8: click ok to see the preview again, if ok print, if not go back to step 7 to make further adjustments.

it might be that you need to repeat this for each individual worksheet in order to make sure they are set the same.