Re: (ZeeMail) Re: Simpson Promo

Doyle...@aol.com

Aug 12, 2007, 9:12:04 PM8/12/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
You are saying my partner SEI screwed me on the Simpson Promo. I can not believe my partner would ever do that with out Jimbo.

                                                             Doyle

abud...@comcast.net

Aug 13, 2007, 1:33:15 PM8/13/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
It is very refreshing to see franchisees step up to the plate and speak their mind without fear .
I am forwarding two of your posts regarding the promotion to the entire PLC and Dallas management ,  which  rarely get the whole picture without being sugar coated from middle management.
Franchisees speaking out is one of the  remedies to fix  problems in SEI.
I applaud you.
Serge

From: CougarDon <donma...@aol.com>

> [...]
> operated stores they drove past on their journey. I am left to wonder
> how much more Simpson product could have been sold in those stores had
> Homer and the gang been hanging out there. Surely purchasing
> $4,000.00 worth of product (at retail) merited a picture of Homer.
>
> On Aug 11, 4:57 pm, CougarDon wrote:
> > The Simpson promo tion was designed to, and did, disproportionately
> > benefit the Kwik E Mart (KEM) stores. As of July 16, I had sold less
> > than $350.00 worth of Buzz and was rated #2 in Buzz sales in the three
> > northern markets of the PNW Division. On that same day, the KEM store
> > had sold $18,000.00 of Buzz. The KEM store in Burbank, California had
> > over $650,000.00 in sales during the promotion, 3 times its normal
> > volume.
> >
> > What these numbers prove is that SEI sold the "Simpson experience",
> > not the "Simpson product." While the experience was successfully
> > created in the KEM stores, the July promotional pack had 0 items with
> > the picture of a Simpson's character with which to promote the Simpson
> > product. SEI gave franchisees nothing to create the Simpson
> > experience.
> >
> > I'll end up selling about $2,000.00 worth of Simpson merchandise, more
> > than most in my division. I ordered, and could have sold, 4 times
> > that amount, if I had been provided adequate POP. The only thing
> > that saved my neck from a catastrophic loss was the ability to
> > transfer goods to the KEM store in Seattle.
> >
> > This promotion was funded with the advertising charge collected from
> > franchisees. There was an exponentially disproportionate benefit
> > conferred upon the KEM stores with the money I invested in
> > advertising. I, and all non-KEM store franchisees, should receive a
> > dividend on our investment in the Simpson promotion. SEI and a very
> > few franchisees should not be entitled to keep 90% of the return on
> > our investment.
> >
> > SEI made a significant profit from the Simpson product sold in KEM
> > stores. It matters not to SEI's bottom line whether those sales were
> > generated overwhelmingly in KEM stores, or whether they were evenly
> > spread between participating stores. However, the cornerstone of any
> > promotion in a franchisee operated system is the benefit to the median
> > participating store. This promotion invested next to nothing in the
> > median participating store, and the benefit of such stores was
> > predictably incidental to the benefit bestowed upon the KEM stores.
> > This was intended and foreseeable, and in my mind, constitutes a
> > breach of trust if not a breach of the covenant of good faith and fair
> > dealing which applies to our franchise agreements.
> >
> > SEI should stop defending this promotion as one that got significant
> > brand name attention. 7-Eleven is not an immature brand, an increase
> > in name recognition was not needed. The goal of our advertising
> > dollars should be to sell product and increase the profits of both the
> > median participating franchisee and SEI.

wshu...@wildblue.net

Aug 13, 2007, 2:44:16 PM8/13/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
Serge
Without the Simpson promo the customers would not have had a reason to drive by those other stores. EVERYONE had the opportunity to prebook as much simpson merchandise as they thought they could sell, but no one predicted the demand that we all observed. ( Franchisees & SEI)
Bill
Sent from my BlackBerry(r) wireless device from U.S. Cellular

Aug 13, 2007, 6:02:23 PM8/13/07
to 7-Eleven Franchise Owners
The problem was non KEM Stores which ordered $6,000.00 worth of
Simpson merchandise got absolutely no POP with a Simpson character on
it. It was a Simpsonless promotion. All the Simpson characters were
hanging out at the KEM stores, that is why the customers drove past
other stores with ample Simpson product on hand. . .in order to get
their picture taken with Homer.

> > > median participating franchisee and SEI.- Hide quoted text -

CougarDon

Aug 13, 2007, 6:05:56 PM8/13/07
to 7-Eleven Franchise Owners
Moreover, of the stores that did the best with Simpson product in my
marker were stores who printed up their own lifesized cutouts of Homer
and Apu. . .in violation of applicable copyright and licensing law.
SEI simply should have provided more POP to the non-KEM stores, it was
a breach of trust not to do so.

CougarDon

Aug 13, 2007, 6:27:10 PM8/13/07
to 7-Eleven Franchise Owners
My posts were already sent to my Market Manager, Division VP and Mr.
DePinto. While there is much to be improved upon in the SEI system, I
have never been afraid to speak up, and have never suffered adverse
consequences from doing so. SEI does not do a good job of listening,
but I have found no reason to think that those who speak out have
anything to fear.

On Aug 13, 10:33 am, abuda...@comcast.net wrote:
> It is very refreshing to see franchisees step up to the plate and speak their mind without fear .
> I am forwarding two of your posts regarding the promotion to the entire PLC and Dallas management , which rarely get the whole picture without being sugar coated from middle management.
> Franchisees speaking out is one of the remedies to fix problems in SEI.
> I applaud you.
> Serge

> From: CougarDon <donmario...@aol.com>
>
> > One final note, I have heard SEI executives praising the promotion for
> > the positive publicity it produced for 7-Eleven. They revel in
> > reports that thousands of customers drove scores of miles to reach the
> > KEM store in their region to have their pictures taken with life-sized
> > cut-outs of Homer and Apu. I am left to wonder how many franchisee
> > operated stores they drove past on their journey. I am left to wonder
> > how much more Simpson product could have been sold in those stores had
> > Homer and the gang been hanging out there. Surely purchasing
> > $4,000.00 worth of product (at retail) merited a picture of Homer.
>
> > On Aug 11, 4:57 pm, CougarDon wrote:

> > > The Simpson promotion was designed to, and did, disproportionately

FRANK HERNANDEZ

Aug 14, 2007, 12:11:24 PM8/14/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one disappointed with this huge sales
opportunity for all, but was targeted on the few. As mentioned by many
posts, I am wholly disheartened by the lopsided approach with this promo.
When we realized what a media blitz it became and tried to order
accordingly, we were told that all items were being shipped to the KEM
stores. Not only were we told this but hey had our FC going to stores across
the valley and transfer merchandise to the KEM store. Our FC advised on that
on July 3, the KEM set a record by selling $16,000 in a single day. I don't
know about you but that felt like a form of discrimination to me.

Frank, Las Vegas

David B Phillips

Aug 14, 2007, 1:14:03 PM8/14/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
IMHO, it's more than "discrimination", it's ILLEGAL!!!
SEI, at it's sole and unilateral discretion, decided
that some stores (priority stores, a SEI internal
term) were entitled to Simpson's merch to the
EXCLUSION of other stores in the system...EXACTLY
which part of "our" contract gives them that right???

Why do I seem to be the only FZ TOTALLY pissed by
this??? Where is the outrage??? Where are the calls
for a class action arbitration case against SEI for
their illegal actions??? Quite disappointed in my
fellow Zees, but even more disappointed by our
(so-called) "leadership"...Oh that's right, they're
off golfing on OUR dime...

DBP

CougarDon

Aug 14, 2007, 7:13:40 PM8/14/07
to 7-Eleven Franchise Owners
I was not aware of the ordering priority given the KEM stores. The
worst thing about all of this to me was that the non-Kem stores didn't
get any POP. Doug Foster Head of Public Relations at SEI, left SEI
very suddenly yesterday or today. Does anybody know if it had
anything to do with the Simpson promo?

> ___________________________________________________________________________­_________
> Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433- Hide quoted text -

CougarDon

Aug 14, 2007, 9:41:38 PM8/14/07
to 7-Eleven Franchise Owners
My Market Manager just called me. He said Mr. DePinto sent a reply to
my email to my office (7-11.com) email address. I'll check it
tomorrow. He said the gist of the email was that the Simpson
Promotion strategy will not be repeated and does not reflect the
direction the company wants to move. Reading between the lines, I
think Mr. Foster's resignation is directly tied to the mistakes made
in the Simpson Promotion.

> > Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433-Hide quoted text -

Ray Sedghi

Aug 15, 2007, 12:01:55 AM8/15/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
Don,
I do not know how long you have been a franchisee, from what I hear and
what I see you guys have a CEO that has so far been VERY fair in his
dealings with franchisees.

BTW, can someone post the link to NC website again. I wonder if there
has been any changes or if any news is posted there. Didn't they have a
meeting recently?

Ray

> > _______--_________

> > Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone
who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it
out.http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433-Hide quoted
text -

8/13/2007 10:15 AM

CougarDon

Aug 15, 2007, 12:28:38 AM8/15/07
to 7-Eleven Franchise Owners
While I am very disappointed that senior management did not spot the
flaws in the Simpson promotion during the planning phase, I think
appropriate corrective action was taken. From what I have
experienced, SEI is very fair with franchisees. It still has problems
listening though.

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

David B Phillips

Aug 15, 2007, 12:57:17 AM8/15/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
"appropriate corrective action" would entail SEI
giving EVERY store that was "out of stocked" by McLane
b/c of SEI's "priority" allocating of Simpson's merch,
the PROFIT $$$ that each store lost...

Very simple really...

DBP

--- CougarDon <donma...@aol.com> wrote:

http://farechase.yahoo.com/

Jim

Aug 15, 2007, 1:44:30 AM8/15/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
I think that a  credit of the monthly advertising $ for each month of the promotion to all stores except KEM stores is reasonable.

--- CougarDon wrote:

> While I am very disappointed that senior management
> did not spot the
> flaws in the Simpson promotion during the planning
> phase, I think
> appropriate corrective action was taken. From what
> I have
> experienced, SEI is very fair with franchisees. It
> still has problems
> listening though.
>
> On Aug 14, 9:01 pm, "Ray Sedghi"
> wrote:
> > > I was not aware of the ordering priority given
> the KEM stores. The
> > > worst thing about all of this to me was that the
> non-Kem stores didn't
> >
> > > get any POP. Doug Foster Head of Public
> Relations at SEI, left SEI
> > > very suddenly yesterday or today. Does anybody
> know if it had
> > > anything to do with the Simpson promo?
> >
> > > On Aug 14, 10:14 am, David B Phillips

> with
> copyright
> the

color=green>ee
7-Eleven
2367-14242
57 South Park Victoria Dr
Milpitas, CA 95132
Store 408-262-2965
FAX 408-262-4009

BOT...@aol.com

Aug 15, 2007, 1:47:47 AM8/15/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
Got your post regarding promotion and sudden departure of PR person.  Was posted around 4:15 p.m.

Bill
San Diego

BOT...@aol.com

Aug 15, 2007, 10:21:04 AM8/15/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
Ray:  NC had meeting over the weekend in Hawaii.  2007 Convention/Trade Show is now underway.  The NC website is 7-11FRANCHISEES.COM

Bill
San Diego

Doyle...@aol.com

Aug 15, 2007, 9:45:19 PM8/15/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
Pitiful.

                                 Doyle

FRANK HERNANDEZ

Aug 16, 2007, 12:00:33 PM8/16/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
Well put DBP!!!!

FRANK HERNANDEZ

Aug 16, 2007, 12:01:40 PM8/16/07
to Zee...@googlegroups.com
Another excellent suggestion. Please advise on what has to be done next to
try to address these issues with SEI?

>Subject: (ZeeMail) Re: Simpson Promo...A call to action!!!

>Jim Monigold, Franchisee

David B Phillips