I'm learning about learning

ecsa...@sbcglobal.net

Dec 30, 2006, 9:53:39 PM12/30/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
I started playing World of Warcraft w. my husband and son (and
occasional strangers) about a month ago. In addition to the fun I am
having with the game, I'm noticing what the experience is like as I
learn to use the interface and learn to find my way around a new
(virtual) environment. I get a lot of satisfaction when I master new
tasks. That's almost as great as getting treasure.

My thoughts are half-baked at this point, but I hoped if I through out
a thin thread of thought, other thoughts would crystalize around it...
in this e-list environment which is saturated w. brainpower.

I also see that there's an opportunity to learn to be a "team player"
from doing quests in online groups. It's kind of like a sport that is
performed sitting down. <g>

My kid knows so much more about how to play this game than I do. He
ends up being my mentor, and that's pretty cool.

Betsy

Sandra Dodd

Dec 30, 2006, 10:15:15 PM12/30/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
-=-I also see that there's an opportunity to learn to be a "team player"

from doing quests in online groups. It's kind of like a sport that is
performed sitting down. <g>
-=-

Kirby does large-group things there. I don't understand it, but I
try not to interrupt them. Sometimes he's a crucial member or a team
leader and really can't leave to talk or do anything because he'll
mess up several people's game.

Sandra

haha...@sio.midco.net

Dec 31, 2006, 1:47:51 AM12/31/06
Quoting "ecsa...@sbcglobal.net" <ecsa...@sbcglobal.net>:
> My kid knows so much more about how to play this game than I do. He
> ends up being my mentor, and that's pretty cool.

This is definitely one of my favorite things about the game! To
see/hear/experience Hayden's expertise of his realm & character, AH it warms my
heart SO much more than a school play ever could!! This is *his* and he's happy
to share, not only with me, but with the countless strangers he encounters and
saves/helps/heals/donates to on a daily basis.

~diana :^D

Betsy Hill

Dec 31, 2006, 2:05:08 AM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
**This is *his* and he's happy

to share, not only with me, but with the countless strangers he
encounters and
saves/helps/heals/donates to on a daily basis. **

(tangent)

Yeah, my main character is a paladin, so when I walk past people I often
cast a Blessing on them and make them briefly stronger or smarter or
whatever. It's a virtual form of mitzvah. It helps them play better in
the game, so I get the happy feeling of being helpful.

Circling back to the topic...
This list has been a blessing in MY life, helping me be stronger in my
convictions and smarter about my choices as well as more flexible in
dealing with conflict (and even sweeter in dealing with my role as a
food and beverage purveyor for my family).

I'm not high enough level in the game to have and know the names of all
of the blessings, but this list could be said to give a "blessing of
enlightenment" or a "blessing of compassion" (for parents). For our
kids, we could name it a "blessing of freedom" or "self-determination".
(That fits w. the Kwanza season, no?)

Thanks for sharing your blessings of enlightenment and freedom with me!

Betsy

Schuyler Waynforth

Dec 31, 2006, 6:54:18 AM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
I love that when I walk past another character and happen to notice that I've got some added layer of protection. It is like an anonymous blessing and it does make me feel like the universe is a force of gentle good.

Schuyler

On 12/31/06, Betsy Hill <ecsa...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

**This is *his* and he's happy
to share, not only with me, but with the countless strangers he
encounters and
saves/helps/heals/donates to on a daily basis. **

(tangent)

Yeah, my main character is a paladin, so when I walk past people I often
cast a Blessing on them and make them briefly stronger or smarter or
whatever.  It's a virtual form of mitzvah.  It helps them play better in
the game, so I get the happy feeling of being helpful.

---www.waynforth.blogspot.com

Kelli Traaseth

Dec 31, 2006, 8:21:13 AM12/31/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
***This list has been a blessing in MY life, helping me be stronger in

my
convictions and smarter about my choices as well as more flexible in
dealing with conflict (and even sweeter in dealing with my role as a
food and beverage purveyor for my family). ***

Ditto for me.

We also play. 4 out of 5 of us in our households play quite
regularily. If I wasn't on this list I doubt we would have ever found
this joy. (Or a lot of other joys too!)

We've only had good things coming from that game too. I've been
constantly amazed at all the different aspects of the game and also the
different ways a person can play and enjoy the game.

I've written about it a couple of times in my blog and my daughter went
into quite a bit of detail in her blog. She does role-playing and also
does a ton of writing in a role-playing forum that is based on WoW.

Kelli~
http://ourjoyfullife.blogspot.com/

Sandra Dodd

Dec 31, 2006, 9:07:17 AM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
-=-Yeah, my main character is a paladin, so when I walk past people I
often cast a Blessing on them and make them briefly stronger or
smarter or whatever. It's a virtual form of mitzvah. It helps them
play better in the game, so I get the happy feeling of being helpful.
-=-

That's really sweet.

I haven't played WoW, but last night some of us and our snowbound
houseguests were playing Quiddler (the word-cousin of Five Crowns)
and one of the teens said she really needed some letter, and I slid a
card over to trade her for it. She was so surprised and grateful
she just gushed. I just can't see that purpose of games being to
enable one person to crush the others in a stunning victory. I have
way more interest in friendly opportunities for conversation. And
so it's cool that I see my kids' interests in games being teamwork
stuff (even if it does involve "beating" another team) and being true
to their word to meet their friends in the game at a certain time,
and working on cool characters that look good and have good equipment.

Sandra

Kelli Traaseth

Dec 31, 2006, 9:56:36 AM12/31/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
**being true
to their word to meet their friends in the game at a certain time**

I see this a lot. Just the other night Abbi thought she'd be going to
bed earlier than she had been, she thought she would since she didn't
have much going on. But the next morning, Tim (my husband) was up
really early and was surprised to see her still up. She said she
really needed to stay up, she had promised a friend that she would help
her with a quest. It was a very cool quest. One where after you do
these 3 difficult tasks, you get to change into an underwater form, (a
big seal looking creature). Then you get to swim underwater without
taking breath and really fast!

She has met a lot of people online, in game. One of her best friends
right now is a homeschooled girl she met through the game. They talk
practically every day and the girl is very interested in unschooling
now. :)

Kelli~

wyndchime lover

Dec 31, 2006, 1:41:48 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
I must have missed something...What game are you guys talking about?? Now I want to play!

Thanks and Happy New Year to all, this list have been a GREAT Joy to my life, I send many people to it and to Sandra's site.

Peace to all,
Heidi
--

Its amazing how you see the world once you put respecting kids on a
higher level than maintaining "control" as a parent...

ansiadancer

Dec 31, 2006, 1:47:41 PM12/31/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
My husband, 13yo son and I have enjoyed playing WOW together in the
past. It's great to hear about other moms and families doing this. We
really like the social aspect of it and have harbored a plan to start
an unschooling guild. We were thinking about doing this to coincide
with the release of the expansion pack in two weeks. This might make
other unschoolers more willing to start a new character and to agree on
a realm. We are suggesting that it be a horde character because the
expansion pack has a new horde race, (blood elves) that people seem to
be excited about.
Andrea

Nicole Willoughby

Dec 31, 2006, 2:18:39 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
Hrmmm.....Ill have to convince my dh to Quit playing WOW as much lol ( cause Im not sure our net connection will handle 2 puters playing wow. But anyhow how would you feel about someone who has NO CLUE whats going on and wants to play?

Nicole

http://mail.yahoo.com

Kelli Traaseth

Dec 31, 2006, 2:41:11 PM12/31/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
***We

really like the social aspect of it and have harbored a plan to start
an unschooling guild.***

Please let me know if you do this, we'd be up for that!

I know we'll be creating new ones on both sides, the Draenei look
really cool! :)

Here, for others who are wondering what we're talking about ;)
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/

Kelli~

haha...@sio.midco.net

Dec 31, 2006, 2:46:25 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
Hayden (8) LOVES to help newbs :)
Everyone, including the lvl 60 players, all started out without a clue,
wandering around figuring it out... There are MANY players who are willing to be
kind to those of us who are less adept than they are...
I remember once, Hayden got stuck in a place where the creatures were 20+levels
higher than he was and he couldn't even escape without constant dying... someone
saw his quandry, invited him to party, killed everything in the way of his
escape, and led him to freedom. Hayden's hasn't forgotten his kindness and
"pays it forward" each time he's on. He loves to be the hero, to kill things
that are attacking a lower level player :) Sometimes he gets thanks and
sometimes not, but his joy comes in his own actions, not in the reactions of
others.
The game is FUN! (there are great holiday surprises, too, like majik wands at
Samhain time that cast costumes onto your party members, or Santa costumes for
your character at Xmas time... I wonder if there are bunny suits for Easter's Day??)

~diana :)

Schuyler Waynforth

Dec 31, 2006, 2:47:22 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, if you start a guild, I'll join.

Schuyler

On 12/31/06, Kelli Traaseth <kelli...@gmail.com > wrote:

--
www.waynforth.blogspot.com

Kelli Traaseth

Dec 31, 2006, 2:52:59 PM12/31/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
*** Im not sure our net connection will handle 2 puters playing wow***

I'm sure it depends on what type of connection you have but ours has
had 4 going at once :)

***But anyhow how would you feel about someone who has NO CLUE whats
going on and wants to play? ****

If you want to play give it a try! Seriously, I didn't have a clue
about what was going on and I'm now level 56 :D. You'll figure it out
and your husband and kids will help you. That has been a huge joy,
like someone else said, my son, daughter being the mentor for me. Alec
(ds13) helps me a ton, not only helping me to decide on what's the
right thing to do but sometimes will score some really awesome armor
and weapons for me! :D

Kelli~

Su Penn

Dec 31, 2006, 2:59:11 PM12/31/06

On Dec 31, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Kelli Traaseth wrote:

> . You'll figure it out
> and your husband and kids will help you. That has been a huge joy,
> like someone else said, my son, daughter being the mentor for me.
> Alec
> (ds13) helps me a ton, not only helping me to decide on what's the
> right thing to do but sometimes will score some really awesome armor
> and weapons for me!

Console video games have been like this for us--my 5-year-old got to
have the pleasure of introducing me to a game he and his dad had been
playing. He explained the controls to me, helped me choose a
spaceship (telling me the pros and cons of the various models), and,
as I was playing, gave me tips like, "When you go around that corner,
there's going to be a guy shooting at you, so be ready." Even in an
unschooling house, there aren't that many areas where a kid that
young gets to know more than his mom, be better at something than his
mom, and help his mom learn to do it. We both loved it.

Su

EthelwynnesQuest

Dec 31, 2006, 3:40:52 PM12/31/06
to UnschoolingDiscussion
How funny. I just posted yesterday about Sorscha playing WoW and how a
little over a year ago that it would have not been 'allowed'. There is
a cute video also where she is yelling for Dads help because she is
being attacked.
~Crystal~
http://daikinicrossroads.blogspot.com/

Sandra Dodd

Dec 31, 2006, 4:24:54 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
-=-But anyhow how would you feel about someone who has NO CLUE whats
going on and wants to play?-=-

Wouldn't your husband and son share copious amounts of clues with you?

Sandra

Sandra Dodd

Dec 31, 2006, 4:32:08 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
-=-Yeah, if you start a guild, I'll join.-=-

Aren't you likely to be on a whole 'nother server in the U.K.?

Aren't people on whole 'nother servers even in north America?

Betsy Hill

Dec 31, 2006, 4:37:17 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
**Hayden (8) LOVES to help newbs :) Everyone, including the lvl 60
players, all started out without a clue, wandering around figuring it
out...**

I was pretty stressed when I started out playing World of Warcraft. I
was walking into walls, walking into trees, getting lost, missing my
targetted creature. And I took it too seriously and didn't handle the
stress of "ack, I'm gonna die!" very well. (I want any new players to
understand that they aren't the only person struggling and feeling
foolish.) (I don't feel that way now -- it passes.)

I noticed a difference between me and my unschooled child (who started
playing many months before I did). He has figured out tons of things
that are not in the small manual that came with the game. He seems to
do lots of experiential learning. I, sadly, seem to still reflect the
schooled pattern. I heard myself several times (when stressing out)
saying to my helping husband or kid --"You didn't TELL me that!" So it
seems like I'm (sometimes) still passively waiting for a teacher to pour
knowledge into me. (And, apparently I'm kind of cranky.)

Betsy

Pam Tellew

Dec 31, 2006, 5:49:11 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
<<I also see that there's an opportunity to learn to be a "team player"
from doing quests in online groups.  It's kind of like a sport that is
performed sitting down. <g>>>>

Just came across this quote in Make magazine:

...in Wired News John Seely Brown told the story of how status as a World of Warcraft guild master helped Stephen Gillet win a senior engineering management position at Yahoo.
        "The process of becoming an effective World of Warcraft guild master amounts to a total immersion-course in leadership...To run a large one, a guild master must be adept at many skills:  attracting, evaluating and recruiting new members; creating apprenticeship programs; orchestrating group strategy; and adjudicating disputes....  Never mind the virtual surroundings; these conditions provide real world training a manager can apply directly in the workplace...Unlike education acquired through textbooks, lectures and classroom instruction, what takes place in massively multiplayer online games is what we call accidental learning....Accidental learning relies on failure.  Virtual environments are safe platforms for trial and error.  The chance of failure is high but the cost is low and the lessons learned are immediate.

Pam

Betsy Hill

Dec 31, 2006, 8:48:10 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
**Unlike education acquired through textbooks, lectures and classroom
instruction, what takes place in massively multiplayer online games is
what we call accidental learning....Accidental learning relies on
failure. Virtual environments are safe platforms for trial and error.
The chance of failure is high but the cost is low and the lessons
learned are immediate.**

I agree that failure is a very rapid path to learning. But in some
corporations failure is punished. This seems to make it hard for an
organization to learn. (But the people in the organization often learn
to be very very cautious.)

Betsy

Nicole Willoughby

Dec 31, 2006, 6:25:21 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
Whaaa!!! well dh just tried to install WOW on my OLD laptop and it just wouldnt work ...not enough RAM.

<-----Is trying with no luck to convince hubby to pull money out of our empty wallet and get a new computer.....Im not having much luck ....something about not having a running car right now. He works from home we dont really NEED a car .

Nicole Willoughby

Dec 31, 2006, 6:46:50 PM12/31/06
to Unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't your husband and son share copious amounts of clues with you?>>>>

Daughter  she isnt playing WOW but watches daddy all the time so she probably knows a ton already. If I can manage to get with her while she isnt at school  Im sure shell help me a ton...same for hubby.

I wasnt so much worried about playing solo and trying to figure out stuff but more trying to be part of a guild and not know what was going on.