How big can a TiddlyWiki get?

Jeremy

Nov 2, 2005, 2:46:14 PM11/2/05
to TiddlyWiki
Maybe this is premature, as I just started using TW yesterday, but how
large of a file can TW get to be and still function OK in a web
browser? For instance, 3 years down the road after Journal entries
every day, study notes, etc...

Jeremy

Paul Petterson

Nov 2, 2005, 4:07:31 PM11/2/05
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I keep mine at about 500k total size without problems.  I have auto-save on and animations off.  Any bigger and it's too big for me to work with, so the limitation there is me not TW...

Paul

Nov 2, 2005, 6:35:55 PM11/2/05
to TiddlyWiki
Mine is currently at 650k and getting pokey, as Jeremy has observed.
I'm less concerned with my site's accessibility to the public, though
it's posted to my ftp-space at university, than I am with using TW as a
means by which to organize course notes for my own purposes.
Nonetheless, I've reached 650k in just over two months' time at school
and am likely to approach 750-800k before the end of a single semester.
Clearly, at that point, a new wiki will prove necessary from the
perspective of any and all users, myself included, regardless of cpu
speed, ram, internet connectivity et al. And this is a problem for
those who had hoped to consolidate their work-products within a single
file/site.

As their seem to be few others in my proverbial boat, at present, I
doubt as to whether this issue of scalability warrants the attention of
either Jeremy or the very talented and devoted group of developers
currently hacking away at TW, but resolution of this issue will become
increasingly pressing as more users adopt and adapt the TW to their own
diverse uses.

As a technically inept end-user, I feel somewhat shamefaced in putting
forth the following, but I'll do it nonetheless in the interest of
public discourse:

*500k is at or about the upper-limit of TW adaptation designed for
public consumption via html.

*500k is insufficient for those developing dynamic sites with regular
updates.

*It will be essential to either
A. develop technologies by which a number of sub-500k TWs can
communicate with each other by directing one another by
sharing/transcluding tiddlers, or
B. load tiddlers asynchronously depending upon their
frequency/likelihood of use within a given browsing session.

But, quoth fellow newbie, Tony, from an earlier post: "All I know is
that I used AJAX to clean the sink as a kid".

Regards,

b.

RunningUtes

Nov 2, 2005, 9:00:11 PM11/2/05
to TiddlyWiki
Why not just link your Tiddlers together with a simple [[url
description|location to other Tiddler]]. It seems to me that it would
be nice to have everything in one huge file, but without on the fly
compression, that might me tough to do. I think for now it is much
easier to just categorize your Tiddlers into two groups, and cut half
of them into a separate file. It is what we all did before TW, and it
still works for 99% of the web. There doesn't seem to be much of a
point of making it too complicated.

Jeremy Cowgar

Nov 2, 2005, 10:16:34 PM11/2/05
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
It does not seem as convient to link the two together that way, does it?
Also, what about config, plugins, etc...

Or maybe I am missing something.

Jeremy

RunningUtes

Nov 2, 2005, 11:03:25 PM11/2/05
to TiddlyWiki
That is true.

I have done a bit of searching and have found a plug-in for firefox
that might just solve the problem. It is called MAF, which is Mozilla
Archive Format. It works great for saving files into one file, kinda
like a MHT file in IE. It actually just automates a "Save Complete
HTML" and then zips it together. If you use FireFox, download and
install the plugin. It is available at
http://maf.mozdev.org/index.html. Then download my example file at
(msig.med.utah.edu/RunningUtes/cryptogram/aca.maff). You have to save
it somewhere and then open it with the "Open MAF" command. The
resulting file is about 100k, where the original was over 260k.

There is a catch. The plugin doesn't work great with TW files. Since
all the graphics are called using [img[filename]] and stylesheets, they
aren't actually identified with the MAF plugin. I had to physically
copy the images and rename my TW to index.htm so that they would run.

The plugin does offer some interesting possibilities for the problem of
increasing file size as well as including images, sounds, or other
media.

As a sidenote, it might be possible to adapt this FireFox plugin for
use with TiddlyWiki. The actual commands are written in JavaScript
with the file zipping calling "ZipWriterComponent.dll".

Just a few thoughts.

jasmeet...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2005, 6:48:19 AM11/3/05
to TiddlyWiki
I am using firefox, and my TW starts to behave strange after 500kb.

Although, the tool is great I find this as the only limitation. Cant
the tiddlers (the body) be stored elsewhere and only their links exist
on the singlepagewiki? That is one "calls" for the tiddler to display
everytime you press the link until then it is not loaded.

That way one can retain the comfort of a single page wiki and store
more data.

Jass