Mugging at Peers Cave again - 6 people tied up

Andre (TM Safety Action Group)

Jan 27, 2012, 3:09:12 PM1/27/12
to TableMoun...@googlegroups.com
Good Day

This month was looking like it may be an incident free month.  But it now seems that there has been a nasty incident at Peers Cave again.  We dont have any direct confirmation - as the authorities continue to refuse us any form of information - but there is enough info here from various people to send out this warning in the interests of safety.

So, this area has the potential to become another "hot spot".  Clearly someone is working it.  We advise people to stay out of the area until we receive some form of assurance from TMNP that the issue has been dealt with - or that they will post rangers out there to guard the area.  I've informed both the Chair of the TM Safety Forum as well as the MEC for Safety - and have asked them:

     -  Whether they are indeed aware of the incident?
     -  To provide assurances that we will all be informed when the area is safe or has been secured again

I've removed personal details from the email thread below - but thank you to those passing on the information.

Stay Safe
Andre
TMSAG

Scroll Down.....

Hi Andre,

Have you had any word about six people being tied up at Peer's cave?  I have been trying to find out more but no luck... see e-mail thread below.

Cheers,

Kobus

From: Kobus Sent: 27 January 2012 10:39

Hi Sarah,

Sorry for contacting you out of the blue like this but I feel quite strongly about safety in our mountains.

A friend from oceanography (Ceinwen) has informed me about an incident at Peer's cave involving the tying up of 6 people.  The last incident at Peer's cave that I was aware of occurred on the 19th of December.  Do you know when this incident took place?  Do you know the people involved?

Kobus

On 27 January 2012 09:56, Ceinwen  wrote:

Hey spidermonkey's

I hate to be the one to bring bad news, especially about our beloved sport but someone just informed me that a terrible incident of theft occurred at Piers Cave recently. Six guys were tied up and all their gear stolen while they were there climbing. As a girl this is a very scary thought as I'd hate to imagine what could have happened had there been girls there.

Please spread the word to those you know who climb so a repeat of this incident can be avoided.

Apologies for the sour note to start the weekend.
Keep safe and happy climbing!

Cheers

Ceinwen