September Meeting Topic

Ryan Joy

Sep 5, 2007, 6:48:57 PM9/5/07
to Refresh...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks!

I'm a little late with the announcement, but our September meeting topic
will be *Mobile Web: Site/Application Design and Development.* Hopefully
you're as excited by mobile as I am!

The timing seems right considering the following:
* Cameron Moll's ebook, "Mobile Web Design"
(http://mobilewebbook.com/)
* the iPhone & iPod Touch (especially w/ the newly attractive pricing!)
* Nokia and other phone manufacturers are quickly releasing competitive
models to the iPhone.

The meeting will be next Tuesday, September 11th. Because of the short
amount of time, I will work on securing Opal Divine's again for this
meeting. We're still in need of a semi-permanent venue that meets all of
our needs and that we can reserve 6 months ahead of time.

From what I've heard, the format of the last meeting was a big hit. I
would like to split the meeting up into two smaller session chunks this
time as well. The first will be a primer on taking your site & content
mobile. The second will probably be more philosophical than practical as
we discuss what works best and the pitfalls of mobile. I'm behind in
arranging this meeting, so please email me if you have any thoughts or
want to present. If you are interested, please send me a quick email
with a synopsis of your presentation.

I'll send out another update very soon.

Thanks all!

-RYAN JOY

Sheila Scarborough

Sep 5, 2007, 7:25:57 PM9/5/07
to Refresh...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but what time and which Opal Divine's?

Ryan Joy

Sep 5, 2007, 7:44:07 PM9/5/07
Sheila Scarborough wrote:
> Thanks, but what time and which Opal Divine's?

The time will be 7pm, as usual. The Opal Divine's will probably be the
Freehouse location on 6th Street. However, I have sway with the Penn
Field location as well and that location has a much better suited
parking situation.

I will send out a note tomorrow with more details.

-RYAN

Ryan Joy

Sep 12, 2007, 1:50:23 AM9/12/07
to Refresh Austin
Thanks to everyone who was able to make it out tonight! And thanks for
all the positive feedback I received. It's really appreciated.

I've posted the presentation here: http://www.atxryan.com/presentation/mobile-web_development_primer.html.
I also updated the additional links section to include a few of the
other websites that came up during the discussion, like WURFL and the
Kayak Mobile site. If I missed anything from tonight, let me know.

I'll see you all next time!

-RYAN

Ryan Joy

Sep 12, 2007, 1:53:52 AM9/12/07
to Refresh Austin
Let me also mention two local resources for mobile developers: Mobile
Monday Austin (http://www.mobilemondayaustin.com/) and the Austin
Wireless Alliance (http://www.austinwirelessalliance.org).

-RYAN