VB6 on Windows 8

Abhishek

Sep 13, 2011, 12:48:11 PM9/13/11

Deanna Earley

Sep 13, 2011, 12:53:20 PM9/13/11
So native apps are still supported.
We'll see whether they support the VB(6) runtimes or not.

--
Dee Earley (dee.e...@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Bob Butler

Sep 13, 2011, 1:23:19 PM9/13/11

"Abhishek" <abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
That image shows "VB" but that is what Microsoft calls VB.Net now. They
don't admit to anything about VB6 or earlier

> from
> http://www.buildwindows.com

The statements I've heard and seen all say that Microsoft is committed to
making anything that runs on Windows 7 run on Windows 8. They want to
concentrate on replacing the UI with the phone interface first, then trash
the applications later.

Abhishek

Sep 13, 2011, 1:25:37 PM9/13/11
But not on Arm based devices. but c, c++ people are safe, they have said
they are going to provide cross compiler to compile c apps to Arm.

"Deanna Earley" <dee.e...@icode.co.uk> wrote in message

Abhishek

Sep 13, 2011, 1:33:01 PM9/13/11
VB6 comes under Win32 category.

"Bob Butler" <bob_b...@cox.invalid> wrote in message

David Kerber

Sep 13, 2011, 2:45:17 PM9/13/11
[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <j4o1pt$6dn$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, dee.e...@icode.co.uk
says...

> On 13/09/2011 17:48, Abhishek wrote:
> > most probably will work.
> > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/vb6win8.jpg/
> >
> > from
> > http://www.buildwindows.com
>
> So native apps are still supported.
> We'll see whether they support the VB(6) runtimes or not.

My guess would be that they'll run, but won't be installed by default
any more.

Abhishek

Sep 13, 2011, 2:51:49 PM9/13/11
yes, runtimes wont be included beyond Windows 7, but then we can always
include them in setup. I was waiting for this to decide on a new app,
whether to choose VB6 or VB.NET, i am choosing VB6.

"David Kerber" <dke...@WarrenRogersAssociates.invalid> wrote in message

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 3:01:06 PM9/13/11
Abhishek explained on 9/13/2011 :
> yes, runtimes wont be included beyond Windows 7, but then we can always
> include them in setup. I was waiting for this to decide on a new app,
> whether to choose VB6 or VB.NET, i am choosing VB6.

Depending on the app - I if you aren't going to use .net - then, I
might think in terms of C++. If you go C++ (something I am extreamly
likely to do - since, C++ is my first love anyway) - and you design
right (seperate logic from the ui is my primary thought here) - you
will be able to make that app a first class citizen in the new
immersive interface when the time is right and work on both the desktop
and on tablets (and probably phones in the future if you care at all
about that). As well, as cross compile for both x86 and ARM. I just
can't really imagine using VB6 for any new serious development...

--
Tom Shelton

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 13, 2011, 3:36:33 PM9/13/11
The Koolaid said:
> a first class citizen in the new immersive interface when the time is right

*retch*

> I just can't really imagine using VB6 for any new serious development...

So you've been saying for years now, yes...

--
.NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Mayayana

Sep 13, 2011, 4:00:58 PM9/13/11

| I just
| can't really imagine using VB6 for any new serious development...

...Or .Net. It's all still gossip at this point, but
my impression was that MS is aiming for HTML
and javascript in a version of IE that's tied into
the Windows API. Compiled software would be
a grudging optional extra to run in the "Desktop
tile".

On the other hand, that whole idea seems so
absurd and unwise that I have to believe it's a
temporary case of cloud/tablet-fever. After all,
MS was talking about converting the API to an
easy, OO managed sandbox almost 10 years ago.
...It never happened. What was it they called
that? I think it was something like ".Net". That idea
was as wacky as this new web-app trip. Lucky for
us, they stuck with native code and COM. :)

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 4:18:00 PM9/13/11
Mayayana formulated on Tuesday :
>> I just
>> can't really imagine using VB6 for any new serious development...
>>

> ...Or .Net.

.NET is still a major part of windows 8 - which makes sense because of
it's jit behavior. Look at the slide.

> It's all still gossip at this point, but
> my impression was that MS is aiming for HTML
> and javascript in a version of IE that's tied into
> the Windows API.

Partially right. The trident rendering engine from ie 10 will be used
to render the new desktop. But, you don't have to develop that ui
using html5 or javascript. Those are just another option.

> Compiled software would be
> a grudging optional extra to run in the "Desktop
> tile".

Nope. Look at the slide. Metro UI apps. Taht's the new desktop.
Now, older winform, silverlight, wpf, native apps, and vb6 apps will be
there - but, all of those code bases - except one - have the option of
rewriting their UI's and becoming first class citizens again.

> On the other hand, that whole idea seems so
> absurd and unwise that I have to believe it's a
> temporary case of cloud/tablet-fever.

As much as I'm not a huge fan of the paradigm, I don't think it's going
away anytime soon.

> After all,
> MS was talking about converting the API to an
> easy, OO managed sandbox almost 10 years ago.
> ...It never happened.

Apparently, it has now. It's called WinRT.

> What was it they called
> that? I think it was something like ".Net". That idea
> was as wacky as this new web-app trip. Lucky for
> us, they stuck with native code and COM. :)

It's not about web apps. It's about touch friendly interfaces, etc.
But, I already know you are ludite of sorts - so, there is not need to
argue about it.

--
Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 4:21:18 PM9/13/11
Karl E. Peterson explained on 9/13/2011 :
> The Koolaid said:
>> a first class citizen in the new immersive interface when the time is right
>
> *retch*

Like it or not, it's where things or going. Maybe it will be the end of
MS? Another reason to move to C++ - to prepare for using object-c and
coco or qt or gtk on linux :) VB6 certianly isn't going to help you
there.

>> I just can't really imagine using VB6 for any new serious development...
>
> So you've been saying for years now, yes...

And I've meant it - just even more passionately now... Just because
you want to stay stuck in the past, doesn't mean the rest of us do.

--
Tom Shelton

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 4:43:50 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 23:03:01 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>VB6 comes under Win32 category.

The issue is the VB6 runtime. Specifically msvbvm60.dll.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP

Mayayana

Sep 13, 2011, 6:12:28 PM9/13/11
| > Compiled software would be
| > a grudging optional extra to run in the "Desktop
| > tile".
| >

| Nope. Look at the slide. Metro UI apps. Taht's the new desktop.

According to what I read that's the new GUI, but the
actual Windows Desktop will be one option from there:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/369862/windows-8-full-details-revealed

In other words, one starts with the Metro GUI, which
is the "consumer services" side of things. (With lots
of weather reports and stock quotes, as usual.) Then
one of those tiles can be used to access the Desktop
as we know it. Did I misunderstand? That's certainly
the way it sounds:

"" The familiar Windows desktop, which has been the cornerstone of the
operating system since Windows 95, has been effectively demoted to an "app".
""

| It's not about web apps. It's about touch friendly interfaces, etc.

You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,
greed and confusion. Do you suppose people are going
to be buying 1-piece PCs and then reaching out
to smudge the 22" screens. If that's the case then
I think I want to get into physical therapy.

Touch makes some sense for tablets, but for PCs
the blending of the touch/Metro design is just a
poorly thought out way to have their cake and
eat it too, by selling web-apps to PC users. MS sees
a chance to cash in on usage itself and not just
the software.

Mayayana

Sep 13, 2011, 6:12:28 PM9/13/11
| > Compiled software would be
| > a grudging optional extra to run in the "Desktop
| > tile".
| >

| Nope. Look at the slide. Metro UI apps. Taht's the new desktop.

According to what I read that's the new GUI, but the

actual Windows Desktop will be one option from there:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/369862/windows-8-full-details-revealed

In other words, one starts with the Metro GUI, which
is the "consumer services" side of things. (With lots
of weather reports and stock quotes, as usual.) Then
one of those tiles can be used to access the Desktop
as we know it. Did I misunderstand? That's certainly
the way it sounds:

"" The familiar Windows desktop, which has been the cornerstone of the
operating system since Windows 95, has been effectively demoted to an "app".
""

| It's not about web apps. It's about touch friendly interfaces, etc.

You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 6:45:00 PM9/13/11
Mayayana expressed precisely :

>>> Compiled software would be
>>> a grudging optional extra to run in the "Desktop
>>> tile".
>>>

>> Nope. Look at the slide. Metro UI apps. Taht's the new desktop.
>
> According to what I read that's the new GUI, but the
> actual Windows Desktop will be one option from there:
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/369862/windows-8-full-details-revealed
>
> In other words, one starts with the Metro GUI, which
> is the "consumer services" side of things. (With lots
> of weather reports and stock quotes, as usual.) Then
> one of those tiles can be used to access the Desktop
> as we know it. Did I misunderstand? That's certainly
> the way it sounds:
>
> "" The familiar Windows desktop, which has been the cornerstone of the
> operating system since Windows 95, has been effectively demoted to an "app".
> ""

I'm not sure what your point is. Older apps, that have not been
written to take advantage of the new metro ui, will be on the old style
desktop. And that old sytle desktop, is accessible from the metro
ui...

I'm not sure about this whole demoting thing... I mean, these people do
realize taht the the desktop has always just been an app right
(explorer.exe)... In fact, replacable - I ran bb4win occasionaly during
the xp days :)

But, metro apps can be writen in C++, C#, VB.NET, and of course, now
HTML/JavaScript. They will use a new interface library accessed via
xaml - the current markup language used in WPF/Silverlight...

I just had an interesting thought though - since the metro ui libraries
are accessible from C++, it might be accessible from VB.CLASSIC with
some work - though, you still couldn't target arm based machines...

>> It's not about web apps. It's about touch friendly interfaces, etc.
>
> You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,
> greed and confusion. Do you suppose people are going
> to be buying 1-piece PCs and then reaching out
> to smudge the 22" screens. If that's the case then
> I think I want to get into physical therapy.

Of course not... Mouse and keyboard still work fine in metro.

> Touch makes some sense for tablets, but for PCs
> the blending of the touch/Metro design is just a
> poorly thought out way to have their cake and
> eat it too, by selling web-apps to PC users.

For craps sake - they are not webapps. Even the Html/javascript apps
are using native libraries underneath...

> MS sees
> a chance to cash in on usage itself and not just
> the software.

*sigh*... Seriously, if you had your way we'd all still be on 9x.
Sorry, but, I think this is a smart step. We are going through another
phase in computing - somethigns are being tried that haven't been
before - some will work some won't. I think it's an interesting time.

--
Tom Shelton

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 7:31:06 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:18:11 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote:

"The Windows 8 developer release will be available for download at 8pm
Pacific time on Tuesday and won�t require authentication" Last
paragraph at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/13/microsoft_launches_windows8_build/

MS download URL which should work in about a half hour.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 13, 2011, 7:44:53 PM9/13/11
Tom Shelton wrote on 9/13/2011 :
> Karl E. Peterson explained on 9/13/2011 :
>> The Koolaid said:
>>> a first class citizen in the new immersive interface when the time is
>>> right
>>
>> *retch*
>
> Like it or not, it's where things or going.

Where? To excessively advertising imbued flowery metaphors? <g>

It was the language I was puking to, not necessarily the object being
described.

> Maybe it will be the end of MS?

Yeah, it might. My own opinion is that it'll be every bit as big as
Bing! Business will have *zero* reason to go there. Far too much
liability. (Google "gorilla arm" for free clues.) Consumers? Meh.
Who knows? Why would they abandon fully entrenched standards at that
point?

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 13, 2011, 7:51:25 PM9/13/11
Mayayana used his keyboard to write :
>> It's not about web apps. It's about touch friendly interfaces, etc.
>
> You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,
> greed and confusion. Do you suppose people are going
> to be buying 1-piece PCs and then reaching out
> to smudge the 22" screens. If that's the case then
> I think I want to get into physical therapy.

Definitely! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Gorilla_arm

But that's not what it's about. It's about the 90% of "computers" that
aren't used at a desk. They've fully abandoned the enterprise with
this move, but they're okay with that. That's the not the battle
that'll decide the future, and those folks are already locked in.

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 8:00:33 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:31:06 -0600, Tony Toews
<tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>MS download URL which should work in about a half hour.
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

Dumb*ss. Meaning me. In another hour.

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 8:14:53 PM9/13/11
<tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>MS download URL which should work in about a half hour.
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

Downloading now.

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 8:18:11 PM9/13/11
Karl E. Peterson formulated the question :

Tablet usage is increaing in the enterprise - and right now that's
mostly ipads. Windows 8 does everythign win7 does, so I just dont'
understand your logic...

--
Tom Shelton

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 13, 2011, 8:26:13 PM9/13/11
Tom Shelton wrote on 9/13/2011 :
> Karl E. Peterson formulated the question :
>> Mayayana used his keyboard to write :
>>>
>>> You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,
>>> greed and confusion. Do you suppose people are going
>>> to be buying 1-piece PCs and then reaching out
>>> to smudge the 22" screens. If that's the case then
>>> I think I want to get into physical therapy.
>>
>> Definitely! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Gorilla_arm
>>
>> But that's not what it's about. It's about the 90% of "computers" that
>> aren't used at a desk. They've fully abandoned the enterprise with this
>> move, but they're okay with that. That's the not the battle that'll decide
>> the future, and those folks are already locked in.
>
> Tablet usage is increaing in the enterprise -

I really find this to be a strange claim. It's like saying that the
study of Mandarin Chinese is increasing in US high schools. "Yeah,
and?"

> and right now that's mostly ipads.

Sure. And most "knowledge workers" are just as firmly attached to
keyboard and mouse, as they are to one version or another of Windows.

> Windows 8 does everythign win7 does, so I just dont' understand your
> logic...

You've never done large-scale IT then. Upgrading an enterprise just to
get back to where you were is a non-starter.

Abhishek

Sep 13, 2011, 8:52:47 PM9/13/11
* Win32 and COM still available.
* VB6 Runtimes wont be there in Windows 8.
* Windows 8 will run all application that ran on Windows 7.
* x86 application wont run on Arm based Windows 8, including VB6 Apps.
* They are going to provide compilers to C, C++ developers to compile for
Arm Windows 8.

Windows 8:
* Available for x86, x64, Arm
* Hardware requirement same as Windows 7
* Target of running all application that ran on Windows 7
* Includes new UI style called Metro
* Includes new Metro UI style Touch based Desktop (Along with Old Desktop)
* Metro application are written in HTML5, JavaScript, XAML (.NET)
* New APIs (WinRT) for Metro apps callable from JavaScript similar to
desktop gadget engine.

--
abhishek
vb6zone.blogspot.com

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 9:12:32 PM9/13/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 06:22:47 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> * x86 application wont run on Arm based Windows 8, including VB6 Apps.

Hmm, I wonder about Office apps? In my case, of course, MS Access.
Or rather will MS come out with Arm versions of Office?

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 9:17:47 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:12:32 -0600, Tony Toews
<tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>> * x86 application wont run on Arm based Windows 8, including VB6 Apps.
>
>Hmm, I wonder about Office apps? In my case, of course, MS Access.
>Or rather will MS come out with Arm versions of Office?

"Microsoft News Center: What can you tell us about Office on ARM?

Sinofsky: We�re committed to making sure that Windows on SoC
architectures is a rich Windows experience. Microsoft Office is an
important part of customers� PC experience and ensuring it runs
natively on ARM is a natural extension of our Windows commitment to
SoC architectures. "

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/Features/2011/jan11/01-05SinofskySOC.mspx

Hmm, I reckon I'd best be thinking about converting 20K lines of VB6
code to C++ then. I guess I can start by coding some of the backend
logic in C++ and call it as a DLL from VB6.

Abhishek

Sep 13, 2011, 9:20:22 PM9/13/11
No idea, but I think Arm based Windows devices will be specialized devices
not general use PCs. may be to complete with Android powered small form
factor tablet/slates.

"Tony Toews" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 9:43:43 PM9/13/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 06:50:22 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No idea, but I think Arm based Windows devices will be specialized devices
>not general use PCs. may be to complete with Android powered small form
>factor tablet/slates.

Good point. Obviously to compete with the iPad too.

Still I think I need to seriously consider some of the questions and
ask this groups advice.

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 10:03:14 PM9/13/11
on 9/13/2011, Tony Toews supposed :
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 06:50:22 +0530, "Abhishek"
> <abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No idea, but I think Arm based Windows devices will be specialized devices
>> not general use PCs. may be to complete with Android powered small form
>> factor tablet/slates.
>
> Good point. Obviously to compete with the iPad too.
>
> Still I think I need to seriously consider some of the questions and
> ask this groups advice.
>
> Tony

Microsft has already demoed office running on arm based pc's. So, I
would say you will want to take that into account.

--
Tom Shelton

Abhishek

Sep 13, 2011, 10:15:20 PM9/13/11
| Still I think I need to seriously consider some of the questions and
| ask this groups advice.

The thing is VB6 is on decline and they are not going to revive it, if they
wanted they would have done that many years ago or at least would have
provided a intermediate version between VB6 and .NET.

in my case I mostly do shareware so I will continue to use VB6 as long as I
can make good apps, then I will move the full app or part of it to .net or
non-Microsoft platform if it will be native. I hope realbasic come up with a
good IDE rather than a toy like IDE with 8-point text in editor window.

"Tony Toews" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

mbyerley

Sep 13, 2011, 10:21:10 PM9/13/11

"Tom Shelton" <tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote in message

> Abhishek explained on 9/13/2011 :
>> yes, runtimes wont be included beyond Windows 7, but then we can always
>> include them in setup. I was waiting for this to decide on a new app,
>> whether to choose VB6 or VB.NET, i am choosing VB6.
>>

> Depending on the app - I if you aren't going to use .net - then, I might
> think in terms of C++. If you go C++ (something I am extreamly likely to
> do - since, C++ is my first love anyway) - and you design

MS says they are going to spend $2B to expand the C++ developer
community...

ralph

Sep 13, 2011, 10:39:12 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:26:13 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <ka...@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>> and right now that's mostly ipads.
>
>Sure. And most "knowledge workers" are just as firmly attached to
>keyboard and mouse, as they are to one version or another of Windows.
>
>> Windows 8 does everythign win7 does, so I just dont' understand your
>> logic...
>
>You've never done large-scale IT then. Upgrading an enterprise just to
>get back to where you were is a non-starter.

To second this, one merely needs to look back a bit.

Laptops were hyped to replace PCs. What happened was to expand the
number of people in the enterprise using 'computers' and the number of
'computers' in the enterprise.

Tablets were hyped to replace Laptops. What happened was even more
people were using 'computers' and the total number of 'computers'
expanded.

Smart phones were hyped to replace laptops/tablets. What happened was
more people were using more than one 'computer'.

Currently most purchasers of "pads" already own two or more 'computer
devices'. "Pads" increase the total number. If they replace anything
it is a laptop/tablet/PDA.

[Anyone else noticed how few have included a 'phone' in a "pad"? Seems
like a no-brainer, ... unless of course you don't want to hurt phone
sales.]

-ralph

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 10:43:47 PM9/13/11
mbyerley was thinking very hard :

> "Tom Shelton" <tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote in message
>> Abhishek explained on 9/13/2011 :
>>> yes, runtimes wont be included beyond Windows 7, but then we can always
>>> include them in setup. I was waiting for this to decide on a new app,
>>> whether to choose VB6 or VB.NET, i am choosing VB6.
>>>

>> Depending on the app - I if you aren't going to use .net - then, I might
>> think in terms of C++. If you go C++ (something I am extreamly likely to
>> do - since, C++ is my first love anyway) - and you design
>
> MS says they are going to spend $2B to expand the C++ developer
> community...

Interesting... They have been doing a lot of talking about it lately.
That's ok with me.

--
Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 10:53:27 PM9/13/11
on 9/13/2011, Karl E. Peterson supposed :

> Tom Shelton wrote on 9/13/2011 :
>> Karl E. Peterson formulated the question :
>>> Mayayana used his keyboard to write :

>>> Definitely! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Gorilla_arm
>>>
>>> But that's not what it's about. It's about the 90% of "computers" that
>>> aren't used at a desk. They've fully abandoned the enterprise with this
>>> move, but they're okay with that. That's the not the battle that'll
>>> decide the future, and those folks are already locked in.
>>
>> Tablet usage is increaing in the enterprise -
>
> I really find this to be a strange claim. It's like saying that the study of
> Mandarin Chinese is increasing in US high schools. "Yeah, and?"
>
>> and right now that's mostly ipads.

Just that it is expected to become an important form factor over the
next few years.... 120M a year by 2015? Or something of that order.

> Sure. And most "knowledge workers" are just as firmly attached to keyboard
> and mouse, as they are to one version or another of Windows.

And they will still have their mouse and keyboard... I'm not sure what
the issue is here. Other than a new touch friendly interface, windows
8 is still essentially windows 7. In fact, that should make it easier
to integrate into existing enterprises.

>> Windows 8 does everythign win7 does, so I just dont' understand your
>> logic...
>
> You've never done large-scale IT then. Upgrading an enterprise just to get
> back to where you were is a non-starter.

I fully expect that windows 8 will not make huge inroads in the
enterprise - many are just now migrating to win7....

But, given that I'm really not sure what you meaning is. Windows 8
run's win7 software, and I fully expect that there will be sku without
the touchy feely metro ui..

--
Tom Shelton

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 10:58:17 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:03:14 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:

>Microsft has already demoed office running on arm based pc's. So, I
>would say you will want to take that into account.

Ahh, well, that's an excellent reason. <chuckle>

Thanks, Tony

Nobody

Sep 13, 2011, 10:58:44 PM9/13/11
"mbyerley" <mbye...@byerley.net> wrote in message

> MS says they are going to spend $2B to expand the C++ developer
> community...

Do you have a link?

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 11:03:52 PM9/13/11
ralph has brought this to us :

Ralph - no one is predicting the death of the pc. The pc form factor
will be with us for a long time. But, pc sales have actually been in
decline on the consumer side, while mobile devices (phones and tablets)
have been rising. I think it's safe to assume this is going to be an
important form factor in the future.

--
Tom Shelton

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 11:25:02 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:03:52 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:

>Ralph - no one is predicting the death of the pc. The pc form factor
>will be with us for a long time. But, pc sales have actually been in
>decline on the consumer side, while mobile devices (phones and tablets)
>have been rising.

Hmm, maybe that's because PCs are more reliable than in the past?
Although I find that hard to beleive. <smile>

Mayayana

Sep 13, 2011, 6:13:52 PM9/13/11
| > Compiled software would be
| > a grudging optional extra to run in the "Desktop
| > tile".
| >

| Nope. Look at the slide. Metro UI apps. Taht's the new desktop.

According to what I read that's the new GUI, but the
actual Windows Desktop will be one option from there:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/369862/windows-8-full-details-revealed

In other words, one starts with the Metro GUI, which
is the "consumer services" side of things. (With lots
of weather reports and stock quotes, as usual.) Then
one of those tiles can be used to access the Desktop
as we know it. Did I misunderstand? That's certainly
the way it sounds:

"" The familiar Windows desktop, which has been the cornerstone of the
operating system since Windows 95, has been effectively demoted to an "app".
""

| It's not about web apps. It's about touch friendly interfaces, etc.

You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,
greed and confusion. Do you suppose people are going
to be buying 1-piece PCs and then reaching out
to smudge the 22" screens. If that's the case then
I think I want to get into physical therapy.

Touch makes some sense for tablets, but for PCs

the blending of the touch/Metro design is just a
poorly thought out way to have their cake and

eat it too, by selling web-apps to PC users. MS sees

Mayayana

Sep 13, 2011, 11:38:15 PM9/13/11

| The thing is VB6 is on decline and they are not going to revive it,

No, but it's been dead for 10 years now and Windows
is still using the same API; still COM-centric; still
doesn't have anything .Net to speak of. (I'm currently
working on a mime filter, which will run in all versions
of IE on all versions of Windows, with less that 1 MB
worth of files. Can't be done in .Net even with the 1/2
GB of VM.)

I don't really get all this talk about ARM. I can understand
that some people might want to write for tablets. I'm sure
the Angry Birds crew is interested. But tablets are
entertainment devices. They have very little in common
with PCs. If I had a tablet I might want to fiddle around
with it, but I'm not interested in writing TV show calendar
apps or frivolous games. So ARM is not relevant to me.

This overhyping has been going on at least since 2000.
That's when we heard that PCs were kaput and thin clients
would be the future. Then there were Internet keyboards,
to stress that the Web was where everyone was working.
Then there was the web-app craze (with the concurrent
.Net craze). ... The cloud craze... the smart phone craze
... the tablet craze. They all point to real changes, but
they're not hyped in accord with how much change they bring.
They're hyped in accord with how much money people *hope*
to make from those changes.

As Ralph pointed out, PCs have not been reduced by the
use of phones and tablets. They don't serve the same
functions. I do see a reduced literacy, though. I think that
a lot of young people don't need PCs for much, and never did.
They're on their phones, chatting at Facebook. A phone is
good for a teenager who wants to keep in touch with friends.
If they need to write a paper they'll switch to a PC.

Mayayana

Sep 13, 2011, 11:46:36 PM9/13/11

| Definitely! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Gorilla_arm
|
| But that's not what it's about. It's about the 90% of "computers" that
| aren't used at a desk. They've fully abandoned the enterprise with
| this move, but they're okay with that. That's the not the battle
| that'll decide the future, and those folks are already locked in.

I'm inclined to believe Tom's opinion that there will
probably be a version of Win8 for a PC, that doesn't
require stepping through a windowwashing mime
routine at startup... Anything else would just be too
nonsensical... But there's nothing of that in the reports:

"The Start Menu of old has completely disappeared. This makes it nigh-on
impossible to quickly launch an application that isn�t already pinned to
your Taskbar, let alone launch items such as the Control Panel." ...

" The entire interface is so geared towards touch, that using a mouse or
cursor keys to navigate around the Start screen just feels awkward."

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2011/09/13/windows-8-the-new-interface/

They're advertising a TV mushed together with a
shopping mall.

Tom Shelton

Sep 13, 2011, 11:44:49 PM9/13/11
Mayayana wrote on 9/13/2011 :

>> The thing is VB6 is on decline and they are not going to revive it,
>
> No, but it's been dead for 10 years now and Windows
> is still using the same API; still COM-centric; still
> doesn't have anything .Net to speak of. (I'm currently
> working on a mime filter, which will run in all versions
> of IE on all versions of Windows, with less that 1 MB
> worth of files. Can't be done in .Net even with the 1/2
> GB of VM.)

Want to bet? If you can do it in VB, I can do in .NET - and yes, shell
extensions are supported now. You really should stop speaking about
.NET - since almost everything you say about it is wrong...

As for the rest of your posting - you seriously have not been keeping
up with the news. Consumer pc sales are declining. Even apple lost a
bit of pc sales to their own pad last quarter. No one is saying the pc
is dead. But, if you are tageting consumers in anyway, the reality is
that more mobile form factors are on the rise.

--
Tom Shelton

Tony Toews

Sep 13, 2011, 11:57:47 PM9/13/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:14:53 -0600, Tony Toews

<tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>>MS download URL which should work in about a half hour.
>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/
>
>Downloading now.

And Windows 7 Virtual PC is giving me the equivalant of BSODs when I
attempt to setup the Windows 8 preview. <sigh>

Tony Toews

Sep 14, 2011, 12:33:32 AM9/14/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:57:47 -0600, Tony Toews
<tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>And Windows 7 Virtual PC is giving me the equivalant of BSODs when I
>attempt to setup the Windows 8 preview. <sigh>

And it's nice to see I'm not the only one. Someone else is having the
same problem in VMWare.

I figure by tomorrow there should be lots of folks having the same
problem.

Norm Fowler

Sep 14, 2011, 12:56:18 AM9/14/11
It happens that Tony Toews formulated :
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:57:47 -0600, Tony Toews
> <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> And Windows 7 Virtual PC is giving me the equivalant of BSODs when I
>> attempt to setup the Windows 8 preview. <sigh>
>
> And it's nice to see I'm not the only one. Someone else is having the
> same problem in VMWare.
>
> I figure by tomorrow there should be lots of folks having the same
> problem.
>
> Tony

Tony,

I installed it on its own partition on my hard drive with no problems,
but while trying to change the screen resolution it locked up and I had
to shut the computer down. The little playing I did with it in the new
gui I don't like, but have not had it up long enough to figure out how
to get it to look like Windows 7. Of course if I am going to have it
look and act like Windows 7, maybe I should just stay with Windows 7.
lol

Schmidt

Sep 14, 2011, 1:40:45 AM9/14/11
Am 14.09.2011 06:33, schrieb Tony Toews:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:57:47 -0600, Tony Toews
> <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> And Windows 7 Virtual PC is giving me the equivalant of
>> BSODs when I attempt to setup the Windows 8 preview.<sigh>
>
> And it's nice to see I'm not the only one. Someone else
> is having the same problem in VMWare.
>
> I figure by tomorrow there should be lots of folks having
> the same problem.

No problems here at all, whilst installing the
64-Bit Version (the one without the Dev-Extras)
directly from *.iso in VirtualBox (running on
a 64Bit Win7-Host).

What might be of interest for the group is the
following screenshot:
http://www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/Win8-Desk.png

... LOL, as expected ... (considering all this
"fudding", which was going on over the last years)

Olaf

Tony Toews

Sep 14, 2011, 2:14:56 AM9/14/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:40:45 +0200, Schmidt <s...@online.de> wrote:

>No problems here at all, whilst installing the
>64-Bit Version (the one without the Dev-Extras)
>directly from *.iso in VirtualBox (running on
>a 64Bit Win7-Host).

Ah, maybe I'll try VirtualBox then. Thanks. Yup, install is going
just fine in VirtualBox. <snicker>

>What might be of interest for the group is the
>following screenshot:
>http://www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/Win8-Desk.png
>
>... LOL, as expected ... (considering all this
>"fudding", which was going on over the last years)

Ahh, now that's awesome. Thanks for the image.

However I will still be considering my utility in C++ due to Office 15
running on the ARM processor.

Abhishek

Sep 14, 2011, 2:34:26 AM9/14/11
Thanks for the shot. lol

"Schmidt" <s...@online.de> wrote in message

Abhishek

Sep 14, 2011, 2:57:08 AM9/14/11
Ribbons on Explorer looks confusing and stupid. :/

Tony Toews

Sep 14, 2011, 2:58:30 AM9/14/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:40:45 +0200, Schmidt <s...@online.de> wrote:

>What might be of interest for the group is the
>following screenshot:
>http://www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/Win8-Desk.png

The basics of my app worked as expected. Which included using DAO to
create and write records to an Access 2000 MDB file.

But I could not figure out how to turn the session off from within
Windows 8. Ahh, finally found it hidden away under settings. Which
is not intuitive and likely not the proper place.

I also couldn't figure out how to navigate the new UI "experience".
Or rather I could get into things but had no idea how to get out of
them. I'm sure it would've been intuitive to anyone running an iPhone
but I've touched one.

Tony Toews

Sep 14, 2011, 3:33:41 AM9/14/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:18:11 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote:

As one screen and my reply is buried deep inside this thread I'll
reply here at the root.

The MSVBM60.DLL is present in the Windows 8 System32 folder. My VB6
utility worked just fine including using DAO to create an Access 2000
MDB file and insert records into it.

If you have problems installing the Windows 8 preview under Virtual PC
or VMWare then try VirtualBox. I did not need any special settings
for Virtual Box.

MM

Sep 14, 2011, 4:08:26 AM9/14/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 00:21:49 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>yes, runtimes wont be included beyond Windows 7, but then we can always
>include them in setup. I was waiting for this to decide on a new app,
>whether to choose VB6 or VB.NET, i am choosing VB6.

Why wouldn't they include the VB6 runtime (singular)? It's only one
file. Up to W7 I can depend on MSVBVM60.DLL being present, but any
other .OCX I have to install or get to run SxS reg-free.

MM

MM

Sep 14, 2011, 4:11:04 AM9/14/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:01:06 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:

>Abhishek explained on 9/13/2011 :
>> yes, runtimes wont be included beyond Windows 7, but then we can always
>> include them in setup. I was waiting for this to decide on a new app,
>> whether to choose VB6 or VB.NET, i am choosing VB6.
>>

>Depending on the app - I if you aren't going to use .net - then, I
>might think in terms of C++. If you go C++ (something I am extreamly
>likely to do - since, C++ is my first love anyway) - and you design
>right (seperate logic from the ui is my primary thought here) - you
>will be able to make that app a first class citizen in the new
>immersive interface when the time is right and work on both the desktop
>and on tablets (and probably phones in the future if you care at all
>about that). As well, as cross compile for both x86 and ARM. I just
>can't really imagine using VB6 for any new serious development...

I've just completed an NZB parser and downloader in VB6. It works
amazingly well. Had to use VB5's ListView for XP styles, but VB5/6
have a great life ahead of them! Best work Microsoft ever did.

MM

MM

Sep 14, 2011, 4:18:20 AM9/14/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:12:28 -0400, "Mayayana"
<maya...@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Touch makes some sense for tablets, but for PCs
>the blending of the touch/Metro design is just a
>poorly thought out way to have their cake and
>eat it too, by selling web-apps to PC users. MS sees
>a chance to cash in on usage itself and not just
>the software.

Maybe it will be something for pron connoisseurs: "Touch me there, big
boy! No, THERE! Arrrrrrgggghhhhh!"

MM

MM

Sep 14, 2011, 4:23:50 AM9/14/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:45:00 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:

>*sigh*... Seriously, if you had your way we'd all still be on 9x.

I was until quite recently! Then I moved up a gear to W2K.

When I worked for Hallmark in my last job before retirement we were
still using NT.

MM

MM

Sep 14, 2011, 4:33:01 AM9/14/11
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:56:18 -0700, Norm Fowler <Nor...@Spoof.com>
wrote:
What you all need is drive racks! I have half a dozen. Plus True
Image. I can whack in a spare rack, wipe it clean, then install a
different OS from scratch. Then True Image will restore whatever was
there before (provided I remembered to create an image first!).

MM

MM

Sep 14, 2011, 4:56:54 AM9/14/11
wrote:

>It happens that Tony Toews formulated :

By the way, I just started a test install of VB6 on XP SP3 and the
setup is *as flaky as hell*. First, it said it needed to install some
MS Java machine or other (never seen that before), so I let it. Then
it rebooted and complained about not finding a setupwiz.ini on drive
D: Well, no wonder, because in My Computer drive D (DVD/CD drive) has
disappeared! I'll fix that later, but now I'm using another CD drive F
and restarted the setup from scratch. It says Microsoft Visual Basic
is running - Continue or Exit. So I continue, and then it says
"Searching for components... " and after waiting a few minutes I
realise that Setup has actually frozen! I'm trying again now, but
having never installed it on XP before (I only use W2K for real work),
I've never hit these problems. Still, I suppose, to be fair, XP didn't
exist when VB6 came out.

In case I might ever actually want to do this in future and install
VB6 on a machine later than W2K, did anyone ever write a definitive
guide to the pitfalls?

MM

David Kaye

Sep 14, 2011, 7:01:13 AM9/14/11
"Bob Butler" <bob_b...@cox.invalid> wrote

> The statements I've heard and seen all say that Microsoft is committed to
> making anything that runs on Windows 7 run on Windows 8. They want to
> concentrate on replacing the UI with the phone interface first, then trash
> the applications later.

With the exceptions of programs that took control of hardware rather than
letting Windows manage it (that is, pre-NT platforms such as Windows 95 and
98), Microsoft seems to have bent over backwards to make their platforms
backwardly compatible.

Until fairly recently I've been using a program called News eXpress here on
Usenet. News eXpress was running on my Vista machine, but was originally
written for Windows 3.1.

I suspect that Microsoft will find a way to allow legacy software to run on
Windows 8, or a LOT of people will be pissed. PC users are not used to
paying for upgrades for new OS releases the way Mac users are.

John K.Eason

Sep 14, 2011, 7:09:00 AM9/14/11
In article <biq077ths6cg8qh8p...@4ax.com>, kyli...@yahoo.co.uk (MM)
wrote:

> In case I might ever actually want to do this in future and install
> VB6 on a machine later than W2K, did anyone ever write a definitive
> guide to the pitfalls?

There weren't any AFAICR. It installed without any issues whatever on XP here many
moons ago, and is running happily under W7 here too.

Regards
John

Mayayana

Sep 14, 2011, 8:38:12 AM9/14/11
| > Touch makes some sense for tablets, but for PCs
| >the blending of the touch/Metro design is just a
| >poorly thought out way to have their cake and
| >eat it too, by selling web-apps to PC users. MS sees
| >a chance to cash in on usage itself and not just
| >the software.
|
| Maybe it will be something for pron connoisseurs: "Touch me there, big
| boy! No, THERE! Arrrrrrgggghhhhh!"

That's the first sensible idea I've heard. :)

Mayayana

Sep 14, 2011, 8:45:54 AM9/14/11
| >Ralph - no one is predicting the death of the pc. The pc form factor
| >will be with us for a long time. But, pc sales have actually been in
| >decline on the consumer side, while mobile devices (phones and tablets)
| >have been rising.
|
| Hmm, maybe that's because PCs are more reliable than in the past?
| Although I find that hard to beleive. <smile>

I don't think that's so far off. Remember back when
CPUs were in the 200-300 range? Intel would release
another CPU version about every 6 months, wait until the
market was saturated, then release the next overpriced
version. (Thank goodness for AMD.) People were willing
to buy a new PC once a year, especially if they needed
it for work, because the speed and efficiency increase
was dramatic. People were buying every 2 CPU cycles,
not every two Windows cycles.

Windows XP has become for business what Win9x has
been for home PCs: It only gets upgraded when a new
PC is necessary. Microsoft used to be able to force
people to buy new PCs by adding bloat to the newest
Windows version, but now nobody really has any need
for the newest Windows version, so they have no need
for a new PC.

Mayayana

Sep 14, 2011, 8:51:14 AM9/14/11
| I suspect that Microsoft will find a way to allow legacy software to run
on
| Windows 8, or a LOT of people will be pissed.

That's what he's saying: It all will run on Win8...
allegedly. But the whole idea of installed, native
software is being unofficially "deprecated, reclassified
as dangerously close to fuddy-dud.

It's the George W. Bush philosophy of human
purpose: Some people like to work, but real Americans
go shopping.

Mayayana

Sep 14, 2011, 9:26:18 AM9/14/11

| Want to bet? If you can do it in VB, I can do in .NET - and yes, shell
| extensions are supported now. You really should stop speaking about
| .NET - since almost everything you say about it is wrong...

I'm writing what I read online:

"After working with Microsoft support for a couple of weeks, we determined
that MIME filters written in .NET do not work correctly. There appear to be
a number of thread-safety issues in the interop layers that cause random
crashes of IE."

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1052871/implementation-samples-of-pluggable-mime-filter-preferably-in-c

You're free to check into it yourself. Maybe such posts
are all wrong. Of course using .Net for such a thing would
be absurd, but you don't care about that.

By the way, did you ever see the original .Net press release:

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2000/jul00/pdcdeliverspr.mspx

They never pretended that .Net was for Windows. It was
for "web services". They're just stringing you DotNetters
along in hopes that one of these decades they'll need
developers for web apps. In the meantime, .Net on the Desktop....
"Sure, why not? Knock y'self out."

| As for the rest of your posting - you seriously have not been keeping
| up with the news. Consumer pc sales are declining. Even apple lost a
| bit of pc sales to their own pad last quarter. No one is saying the pc
| is dead. |

I think you missed the gist of what I wrote. I
agreed that all of these changes are real. PC
sales are, indeed declining (down to just a few
hundred million measly machines per year) and
young people, especially -- at least in my
experience -- are mainly doing texting and
Facebook on phones.

People doing Facebook, Twitter, Farmville,
and some shopping never needed PCs for
those things in the first place. There just wasn't
another option before iPhones. In fact, what I see
among young personal acquaintances is people
switching to Apple products, partly for swank
and partly because they see Apple products as
carefree entertainment devices. (And I suppose
also because much of the current generation
of young people is not expected to work for what
they have, so they don't have qualms about paying
Apple prices.)

What I said is that the hype is not the same
as the trend itself. SaaS is a great example of
that. It's certainly happening, but it was pushed
as a trend way out of proportion because people
saw money in it. Industry press releases, sent to
desperate and spineless media outlets, created a
mountain out of a molehill for several years running.
...But if you're working on the molehill then it's
understandable that you're not so keen on having
surveyors poking around to see just how big the hill is.

| But, if you are tageting consumers in anyway, the reality is
| that more mobile form factors are on the rise.

Indeed. I'm strongly considering either .Net or
the famous "HTML5" for the latest update to
my imaginary bestseller, "SPOT Watch Tic Tac Duh",
which, as you may recall, was the follow-up to
my stunningly potential app: "Hailstorm Desktop Checkers".
I'm going to call the new one "Phone7 Slip Slide Swipe,
for Windows Phone7 and Samsung Etch-A-Sketch".

Mayayana

Sep 14, 2011, 9:29:18 AM9/14/11

| The MSVBM60.DLL is present in the Windows 8 System32 folder. My VB6
| utility worked just fine including using DAO to create an Access 2000
| MDB file and insert records into it.

Very interesting. Thanks. So apparently Win8
comes in both 32- and 64-bit, and you're trying
the 32-bit? (System32 on 64-bit is the 64-bit
system folder. Though they may have decided to
mix it all up again for Win8.)

mbyerley

Sep 14, 2011, 10:23:26 AM9/14/11

"Nobody" <nob...@nobody.com> wrote in message
> "mbyerley" <mbye...@byerley.net> wrote in message
>> MS says they are going to spend $2B to expand the C++ developer
>> community...
>
> Do you have a link?

Sigh... aging brain cells. I probably jumped to the bottom of the
article then caught the numbers at the beginning after reading the substance
of it, since that was the emphasis being placed on C++ (or WinC++) for the
immediate future and not towards .NET.

This was from May ZDNet>
<:http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/what-is-winc-and-how-does-it-figure-in-microsofts-bid-to-make-tools-a-2-billion-business/9359>

Tom Shelton

Sep 14, 2011, 10:55:02 AM9/14/11
on 9/14/2011, Mayayana supposed :

>> Want to bet? If you can do it in VB, I can do in .NET - and yes, shell
>> extensions are supported now. You really should stop speaking about
>> .NET - since almost everything you say about it is wrong...
>>

> I'm writing what I read online:
>
> "After working with Microsoft support for a couple of weeks, we determined
> that MIME filters written in .NET do not work correctly. There appear to be
> a number of thread-safety issues in the interop layers that cause random
> crashes of IE."
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1052871/implementation-samples-of-pluggable-mime-filter-preferably-in-c

Yes, that's might have been so in 2009 - before shell extensions were
officially supported. Some things have changed in the framework since
then.

And, you maybe right now - who knows maybe it would still be a problem.

> You're free to check into it yourself. Maybe such posts
> are all wrong. Of course using .Net for such a thing would
> be absurd, but you don't care about that.

In fact, I agree - but probably for different reasons. I also think
it's completely absurd to do it in VB.CLASSIC as well. If .NET has
threading issues - I can't wait to see what happens with VB.OLD.

> By the way, did you ever see the original .Net press release:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2000/jul00/pdcdeliverspr.mspx
>
> They never pretended that .Net was for Windows. It was
> for "web services". They're just stringing you DotNetters
> along in hopes that one of these decades they'll need
> developers for web apps. In the meantime, .Net on the Desktop....
> "Sure, why not? Knock y'self out."

Fine what ever. I'm not going to get in a bunch of arguments about
this. There is no point. You have made up your mind - and I've made
mine.

>> As for the rest of your posting - you seriously have not been keeping
>> up with the news. Consumer pc sales are declining. Even apple lost a
>> bit of pc sales to their own pad last quarter. No one is saying the pc
>> is dead. |
>
> I think you missed the gist of what I wrote. I
> agreed that all of these changes are real. PC
> sales are, indeed declining (down to just a few
> hundred million measly machines per year)

Again, no one saying that the pc will go away. At least not yet.

> and
> young people, especially -- at least in my
> experience -- are mainly doing texting and
> Facebook on phones.
>
> People doing Facebook, Twitter, Farmville,
> and some shopping never needed PCs for
> those things in the first place. There just wasn't
> another option before iPhones. In fact, what I see
> among young personal acquaintances is people
> switching to Apple products, partly for swank
> and partly because they see Apple products as
> carefree entertainment devices. (And I suppose
> also because much of the current generation
> of young people is not expected to work for what
> they have, so they don't have qualms about paying
> Apple prices.)

LOL - I think in way, you've just made my point. People are not
needing PC's as much. And they are startign to realize it as well. As
mobile device gain more power, they are getting more uses.. To be
honest, I would have agreed with you a few months ago - until I got a
smart phone myself. Now, I constantly am finding new uses,
applications for it. I don't think I can ever be without one again...

<snip>

>> But, if you are tageting consumers in anyway, the reality is
>> that more mobile form factors are on the rise.
>
> Indeed. I'm strongly considering either .Net or
> the famous "HTML5" for the latest update to
> my imaginary bestseller, "SPOT Watch Tic Tac Duh",
> which, as you may recall, was the follow-up to
> my stunningly potential app: "Hailstorm Desktop Checkers".
> I'm going to call the new one "Phone7 Slip Slide Swipe,
> for Windows Phone7 and Samsung Etch-A-Sketch".

Seriously, why do you make everything about .NET. I did not suggest
you use it. Nor do I expect you to ever do so. In fact, if you are
going to target a major mobile platform - then your going to be working
in either object-c or java. The point is that the consumer market for
the traditional pc is shrinking - the mobile market is growing. It's a
natural evolution - and vb has no place there. That's why I suggested
to the OP to use C++ that ultimately will give them more options...
They will be able to target x86 and ARM for windows, and be able to
take those skills to other platforms/architectures if necessary (it's
not a huge leep from c++ to objective-c or even java really).

I'm not a huge fan of the current tablets, I don't own one because I
think they are over priced toys. I have no use for one. I don't want
something just for play and simple tasks - but somethign I can get real
work done on. I'm hoping that MS doesn't screw things up with their
tablet/stlate strategy - simply because IF they pull it off, than it
becomes a much more appealing device for ME.

You can of course continue till the end of time to mock, but for now,
the mobile market is looking to be where the action is - a lot like the
early pc days. And there is no place for VB.CLASSIC in that world.

--
Tom Shelton

-mhd

Sep 14, 2011, 11:45:10 AM9/14/11
All that's missing is scratch and sniff.

-mhd

MM

Sep 14, 2011, 1:58:01 PM9/14/11

Lick your own fingers, wait a while, then sniff. Very similar. It's
the bacteria. Ya just gotta give 'em time to get outa bed.

MM

Tony Toews

Sep 14, 2011, 2:25:28 PM9/14/11

Yes, that was the 32 bit version of Win 8 I had downloaded.

Virtual PC doesn't yet support 64 bit OSs so I downloaded the 32 bit
OS to try Win 8. However, amusingly enough, Win 8 got a BSOD within
10 seconds of starting the install under Virtual PC. But it worked
just fine on VirtualBox.

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 3:55:09 PM9/14/11
Tony Toews submitted this idea :

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:03:52 -0600, Tom Shelton
> <tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Ralph - no one is predicting the death of the pc. The pc form factor
>> will be with us for a long time. But, pc sales have actually been in
>> decline on the consumer side, while mobile devices (phones and tablets)
>> have been rising.
>
> Hmm, maybe that's because PCs are more reliable than in the past?
> Although I find that hard to beleive. <smile>

Not sure they're more reliable, per se. But they just don't obsolete
so quick, anymore. Despite the fervent hopes of many, there is *no*
correlation between the speed of your computer, and the "speed" of the
Internet.

And, as the "pad" phenomenon demonstrates, the latter is all most folks
want/need.

--
.NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 3:58:34 PM9/14/11
Tom Shelton used his keyboard to write :
> on 9/13/2011, Karl E. Peterson supposed :
>> Tom Shelton wrote on 9/13/2011 :
>>> Karl E. Peterson formulated the question :

>>> Tablet usage is increaing in the enterprise -
>>
>> I really find this to be a strange claim. It's like saying that the study
>> of Mandarin Chinese is increasing in US high schools. "Yeah, and?"
>>
>>> and right now that's mostly ipads.
>
> Just that it is expected to become an important form factor over the next few
> years.... 120M a year by 2015? Or something of that order.

I'm not questioning that at all. Only your assertion about the
enterprise.

>> Sure. And most "knowledge workers" are just as firmly attached to keyboard
>> and mouse, as they are to one version or another of Windows.
>
> And they will still have their mouse and keyboard... I'm not sure what the
> issue is here. Other than a new touch friendly interface, windows 8 is still
> essentially windows 7.

Exactly! Which *is* the issue, if you want to *sell* it to someone.
They'll ask first if you're stoned, then walk away muttering,
"W.T.F..."

> In fact, that should make it easier to integrate into
> existing enterprises.

As "easier" goes, nothing beats "if it works, ..."

>>> Windows 8 does everythign win7 does, so I just dont' understand your
>>> logic...
>>
>> You've never done large-scale IT then. Upgrading an enterprise just to get
>> back to where you were is a non-starter.
>
> I fully expect that windows 8 will not make huge inroads in the enterprise -
> many are just now migrating to win7....

Then WTH are you wasting my time with your evangelism? That's *all*
I've been saying. Can't believe I was *that* unclear.

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 4:02:45 PM9/14/11
Mayayana submitted this idea :
>> It's not about web apps. It's about touch friendly interfaces, etc.
>
> You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,
> greed and confusion. Do you suppose people are going
> to be buying 1-piece PCs and then reaching out
> to smudge the 22" screens.

I do, actually. I think having something like that, though maybe
15-19"(???), in the kitchen (for example) will be a very common thing.
It won't be a "work" machine, per se. Just used for quick reference,
and the family photos screensaver, probably.

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 4:04:01 PM9/14/11
MM explained :
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 00:21:49 +0530, "Abhishek"
> <abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> yes, runtimes wont be included beyond Windows 7, but then we can always
>> include them in setup. I was waiting for this to decide on a new app,
>> whether to choose VB6 or VB.NET, i am choosing VB6.
>
> Why wouldn't they include the VB6 runtime (singular)?

Support.

Tony Toews

Sep 14, 2011, 4:05:29 PM9/14/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:55:09 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <ka...@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>> Hmm, maybe that's because PCs are more reliable than in the past?
>> Although I find that hard to beleive. <smile>
>
>Not sure they're more reliable, per se. But they just don't obsolete
>so quick, anymore.

Yes, that's a better term for what I'm thinking. Five or more years
ago I used to tell people to buy a middle of the road PC. Don't get
the cheapest or the most expensive. Now I tell them to buy the
cheapest because it has more capacity than most people will need.

For example I bought a $500 laptop last time I was in the USA. The
cheapest available with a 17' screen. (Because the Canadian
multilingual keyboard just irritates me terrible.) And it's working
just fine for me.

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 4:16:01 PM9/14/11
on 9/14/2011, Tom Shelton supposed :
> on 9/14/2011, Mayayana supposed :
>>>
>>> Want to bet? If you can do it in VB, I can do in .NET - and yes, shell
>>> extensions are supported now. You really should stop speaking about
>>> .NET - since almost everything you say about it is wrong...

Versus:

> And, you maybe right now - who knows maybe it would still be a problem.

Maybe it's *you* that needs to stop telling people how "wrong" they are
with such frequency? Hmmm? Maybe?

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 4:20:22 PM9/14/11
Tony Toews laid this down on his screen :

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:55:09 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <ka...@exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> Hmm, maybe that's because PCs are more reliable than in the past?
>>> Although I find that hard to beleive. <smile>
>>
>> Not sure they're more reliable, per se. But they just don't obsolete
>> so quick, anymore.
>
> Yes, that's a better term for what I'm thinking. Five or more years
> ago I used to tell people to buy a middle of the road PC. Don't get
> the cheapest or the most expensive. Now I tell them to buy the
> cheapest because it has more capacity than most people will need.
>
> For example I bought a $500 laptop last time I was in the USA. The
> cheapest available with a 17' screen. (Because the Canadian
> multilingual keyboard just irritates me terrible.) And it's working
> just fine for me.

I agree on the trend, though I'd probably push most towards the second
quintile. ;-)

Tom Shelton

Sep 14, 2011, 4:34:18 PM9/14/11
Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
I'm not evangalizing anything... Other that, the core of windows is
changing in W8 - and I don't expect it to be radically different in
win9. So, now might be a good time to start preparing... duh.

--
Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

Sep 14, 2011, 4:42:53 PM9/14/11
Karl E. Peterson formulated on Wednesday :
I'm just acknowledging, there is a possiblity that in this instance, I
may be the one in the wrong... It's not like this is something I have
actually tried before. Though, I doubt it would be a problem with the
changes that have been made to the framework since that information was
published.

And let's face it - he usually is wrong when he talks about .net.

--
Tom Shelton

Mayayana

Sep 14, 2011, 5:02:45 PM9/14/11
| > You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,
| > greed and confusion. Do you suppose people are going
| > to be buying 1-piece PCs and then reaching out
| > to smudge the 22" screens.
|
| I do, actually. I think having something like that, though maybe
| 15-19"(???), in the kitchen (for example) will be a very common thing.
| It won't be a "work" machine, per se. Just used for quick reference,
| and the family photos screensaver, probably.

OoooooKaaaay. You'll be "swiping online"
to check your cookie dough recipe? I would
have thought that anyone with that sort of
usage would just carry their tablet around.
One hits the limits of light surfing pretty
quickly with no mouse or keyboard.

I'm actually remodelling a bathroom right now
that has an all-in-one on the kitchen counter.
I'm curious what they use it for. I thought it might
be used for something like a streaming news feed
to watch while cooking dinner (a TV, in other words)
but in about 6 weeks on the job I've never actually
seen it turned on.

Mayayana

Sep 14, 2011, 5:06:30 PM9/14/11

| And let's face it - he usually is wrong when he talks about .net.

Well, I'm not wrong in saying that it's a gigantic,
bloated pile of slop, never intended for the Desktop,
and that MS is just stringing you along....

The rest of what I say about it is mostly just opinion. :)

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 5:06:12 PM9/14/11
Tom Shelton presented the following explanation :
> Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
>> Then WTH are you wasting my time with your evangelism? That's *all* I've
>> been saying. Can't believe I was *that* unclear.
>
> I'm not evangalizing anything...

Bullshit. And I quote:

The Koolaid said:
> a first class citizen in the new immersive interface when the time is right

QED

Tom Shelton

Sep 14, 2011, 5:05:56 PM9/14/11
Karl E. Peterson explained :
> Tom Shelton presented the following explanation :
>> Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
>>> Then WTH are you wasting my time with your evangelism? That's *all* I've
>>> been saying. Can't believe I was *that* unclear.
>>
>> I'm not evangalizing anything...
>
> Bullshit. And I quote:
>
> The Koolaid said:
>> a first class citizen in the new immersive interface when the time is right
>
> QED

Oh, brother... You can't be serious.

--
Tom Shelton

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 5:09:46 PM9/14/11
Mayayana presented the following explanation :
>>> You think so? It looks to me like it's about fear,
>>> greed and confusion. Do you suppose people are going
>>> to be buying 1-piece PCs and then reaching out
>>> to smudge the 22" screens.
>>
>> I do, actually. I think having something like that, though maybe
>> 15-19"(???), in the kitchen (for example) will be a very common thing.
>> It won't be a "work" machine, per se. Just used for quick reference,
>> and the family photos screensaver, probably.
>
> OoooooKaaaay. You'll be "swiping online"
> to check your cookie dough recipe? I would
> have thought that anyone with that sort of
> usage would just carry their tablet around.

I bet they become just another utensil in the kitchen, before long.
(Built right into a cabinet door, maybe?) You could be right, though.
There will probably be both patterns.

> One hits the limits of light surfing pretty
> quickly with no mouse or keyboard.

Yeah. I know. I have a netbook hooked up to the TV, and using the
mini-keyboard is a necessary pain.

> I'm actually remodelling a bathroom right now
> that has an all-in-one on the kitchen counter.
> I'm curious what they use it for. I thought it might
> be used for something like a streaming news feed
> to watch while cooking dinner (a TV, in other words)
> but in about 6 weeks on the job I've never actually
> seen it turned on.

Surprising. Entertainment would be high on my list of common uses,
too. That and reference, I'm sure.

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 5:11:15 PM9/14/11
After serious thinking Tom Shelton wrote :
Of course I am. Them's bullshit advertising words, man. They are 100%
content free! And are *always* used to deprecate others by
artificially building up the speaker('s view).

Tom Shelton

Sep 14, 2011, 5:26:09 PM9/14/11
After serious thinking Karl E. Peterson wrote :
Seriously, Karl - you are word splitting. call the ui anything you
want, ugly, crap, metro, immmersive... I don't care.

The point was, taht maybe it's time to look beyond vb6. I suggested
C++, because I know the OP like most here have an aversion to .NET -
whatever. Ultimately, using C++ and proper design would give the op
more options - should the ms world come crashing down... And, that's
not a completely unlikely occurance in todays market.

--
Tom Shelton

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 14, 2011, 5:37:55 PM9/14/11
It happens that Tom Shelton formulated :
> After serious thinking Karl E. Peterson wrote :
>> After serious thinking Tom Shelton wrote :
>>> Karl E. Peterson explained :

>>> Oh, brother... You can't be serious.
>>
>> Of course I am. Them's bullshit advertising words, man. They are 100%
>> content free! And are *always* used to deprecate others by artificially
>> building up the speaker('s view).
>
> Seriously, Karl - you are word splitting. call the ui anything you want,
> ugly, crap, metro, immmersive... I don't care.

You do, or you wouldn't be here spewing the marketing BS.

> The point was, taht maybe it's time to look beyond vb6.

FU2, pal. You're the *only* one mentioning that product in this
specific (me/you) conversation!

Tony Toews

Sep 14, 2011, 8:56:22 PM9/14/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:34:18 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:

>I'm not evangalizing anything... Other that, the core of windows is
>changing in W8 - and I don't expect it to be radically different in
>win9. So, now might be a good time to start preparing... duh.

<nitpick>Actually from what little I could see the core of Win 8 was
quite like the core of Win 7. Which was like Win Vista, XP, etc.

This new stuff is all on top of the Windows core. Running side by
side with the familiar desktop. </nitpick>

Tony Toews

Sep 14, 2011, 8:58:23 PM9/14/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:09:46 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <ka...@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>I bet they become just another utensil in the kitchen, before long.
>(Built right into a cabinet door, maybe?)

Fridge door? Whaddya means the fridge needs rebooting? A virus hit
my fridge causing alternate hot and freezing cycles?

Tom Shelton

Sep 14, 2011, 9:23:26 PM9/14/11
Tony Toews has brought this to us :
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:34:18 -0600, Tom Shelton
> <tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I'm not evangalizing anything... Other that, the core of windows is
>> changing in W8 - and I don't expect it to be radically different in
>> win9. So, now might be a good time to start preparing... duh.
>
> <nitpick>Actually from what little I could see the core of Win 8 was
> quite like the core of Win 7. Which was like Win Vista, XP, etc.
>
> This new stuff is all on top of the Windows core. Running side by
> side with the familiar desktop. </nitpick>
>
> Tony

Tony - the win32 api is deprecated. It's still there - but winrt is
the new api layer going forward. That's what I was refering too.

--
Tom Shelton

mbyerley

Sep 14, 2011, 10:18:37 PM9/14/11

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:09:46 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <ka...@exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>I bet they become just another utensil in the kitchen, before long.
>>(Built right into a cabinet door, maybe?)
>
> Fridge door? Whaddya means the fridge needs rebooting? A virus hit
> my fridge causing alternate hot and freezing cycles?

You're not far off the mark. The home automation system I have just
realeased a bunch of new controlable objects and drivers for items as
mundane as a meat temperature unit that will send the temp to your
smartphone.. No, I won't be getting such crap any time soon..

MM

Sep 15, 2011, 1:12:36 AM9/15/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:34:18 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:

Goodness, you're talking about Win 9 while I'm happily using WIndows
2000... Talk about "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Why on earth
can't Microsoft leave Windows alone for a few years? They are
constantly dabbling, toying with it, like a cat with a mouse, like a
schoolboy picking at scab. And then he's surprised when it starts
bleeding again. Just make Windows 7, for example, stable, then
fine-tune it, optimise it, but forget about all this "new version,
next version" nonsense. After all, we KNOW it's not about the terrible
need for another version of Windows, or because the current version is
SO broken a new version is unavoidable. No, it's NOT about any of
those. What it's about is making sh*tloads of money for Microsoft! I
do wish sometimes that someone would have the guts to tell the emperor
he's not wearing any clothes.

MM

MM

Sep 15, 2011, 1:19:12 AM9/15/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:26:09 -0600, Tom Shelton
<tom_s...@comcast.invalid> wrote:

>The point was, taht maybe it's time to look beyond vb6. I suggested
>C++, because I know the OP like most here have an aversion to .NET -
>whatever. Ultimately, using C++ and proper design would give the op
>more options - should the ms world come crashing down... And, that's
>not a completely unlikely occurance in todays market.

Are you seriously suggesting that VB6 programmers turn back the clock
to C++? This is like recommending a Model T to folks used to
syncromesh gearboxes or automatic transmission. Using C++ is like
constantly walking around with a hole in your head and a smoking gun
in your hand. Anyway, there ain't enough semicolons in the world to
cater for a whole new influx of C++ programmers.

MM

Abhishek

Sep 15, 2011, 7:26:57 AM9/15/11
> Why on earth
> can't Microsoft leave Windows alone for a few years?

Shareholders! they need to continuously make money to survive.

"MM" <kyli...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

ralph

Sep 15, 2011, 9:36:21 AM9/15/11
It is an option (one of many) for those looking to move forward. I
enjoy VB, but facts are facts - Microsoft has abandoned it. It is
still useful, or rather it can be still be used, but the solutions it
can provide are for an ever decreasing problem domain.

The comparison between C++ and a Model T is charming and romantic but
far from an accurate one. If you must use an allusion from the
automotive world - I would suggest the wheel. <g>

-ralph

ralph

Sep 15, 2011, 11:50:19 AM9/15/11
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:58:23 -0600, Tony Toews
<tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:09:46 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <ka...@exmvps.org>
>wrote:
>
>>I bet they become just another utensil in the kitchen, before long.
>>(Built right into a cabinet door, maybe?)
>
>Fridge door? Whaddya means the fridge needs rebooting? A virus hit
>my fridge causing alternate hot and freezing cycles?

That's not a virus. It is called defrosting.

-ralph

Abhishek

Sep 15, 2011, 11:53:24 AM9/15/11
Just installed and tested my VB6 Apps and VB6 IDE, everything running fine.
Win 8 32-bit running in virtualbox.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/startyq.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/vb6.png/

"Abhishek" <abhish...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| most probably will work.
| http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/vb6win8.jpg/
|
| from
| http://www.buildwindows.com

MM

Sep 15, 2011, 12:44:23 PM9/15/11
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:36:21 -0500, ralph <nt_cons...@yahoo.net>
wrote:
I think the wheel would be very hurt to be compared to C++.

MM

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 15, 2011, 1:37:23 PM9/15/11
ralph wrote :
> but the solutions [VB6} can provide are for an ever
> decreasing problem domain.

Hmmmm, gotta disagree. The addressable problem domain has only grown,
but not at the same rate as the universe of problem domains, so it
might appear to be increasing at a decreasing rate from that
perspective?

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 15, 2011, 1:39:01 PM9/15/11
Abhishek wrote :
>> Why on earth
>> can't Microsoft leave Windows alone for a few years?
>
> Shareholders! they need to continuously make money to survive.

And which shareholders, precisely, have been making money on MSFT
during the Ballmer reign?

Karl E. Peterson

Sep 15, 2011, 1:40:42 PM9/15/11
Abhishek expressed precisely :
> Just installed and tested my VB6 Apps and VB6 IDE, everything running fine.
> Win 8 32-bit running in virtualbox.
>
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/startyq.png/
>
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/vb6.png/

What sort of version number is the OS returning now, 6.2?
It is loading more messages.