Customize Hosted-mode browser

Dimitri Kurashvili

Sep 8, 2008, 9:43:33 AM9/8/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi, everybody.

Recently I moved my project (in GWT, of cource) from Mac to Linux. On
Mac "hosted" mode works fine. But under Linux it's very slow and
incorrect (styling and functional problems). On the other hand, on the
same Linux, compiled and deployed application looks great when visited
by Firefox3.

As I guess this is a problem of the browser used in hosted mode.

I've found the following post with similar concern

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/search?hl=en&group=Google-Web-Toolkit&q=change+hosted+browser&qt_g=Search+this+group

as they say there is no way to change hosted mode browser.

Nevertheless, in Linux distribution of GWT there is a "mozilla-hosted-
browser.conf" file in the root. It looks like we can configure
desirable browser from there. Unfortunately all my attempts to do so
lead to nothing for the moment.

Can you please help me with my situation.

Thanks
Message has been deleted

Arthur Kalmenson

Sep 9, 2008, 8:54:41 AM9/9/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Currently in GWT (1.5 and below), hosted mode is tied to the OS.
Windows uses an IE based hosted mode, OS X a WebKet based one, and
Linux uses a Mozilla based hosted mode. As far as I know, these are
stripped down versions of these browsers.

Out-Of-Process Hosted Mode (OOPHM) is currently a branch in active
development that should be part of GWT 1.6, from what I've heard.
OOPHM will allow you to use any browser as your hosted mode, even your
existing browser that may have a number of extensions on it. If you're
interested, take a look at the design doc here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/DesignOOPHM or grab
that branch and give it a whirl. Unfortunately, I don't think OOPHM
works correctly with Firefox yet, but others can correct me.

Regards,
Arthur Kalmenson

On Sep 8, 9:47 am, Dimitri Kurashvili <dimak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Title of the post mentioned above:
>
> <h3>Can gwt hosted browser render like Firefox instead of using
> AppleWebKit in MacOS?</h3>

Thad

Sep 10, 2008, 12:26:12 PM9/10/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I've been using OOPHM on Linux with Firefox 3.0.1 for about a week now
and I'm generally happy with the results. I had some initial problems
converting one project over when I missed one of Eclipse's links to
gwt-user.jar. That seemed to cause my RPC servlet calls to fail, but
I got that corrected.

Two days ago I was having some difficulty with OOPHM the Canvas widget
from gwt-canvas--OOPHM would launch but the Canvas would throw a
JavaScriptException in a random fashion: The launch might fail two or
three times, but then without any change in my code whatsoever, it
would launch. It seems that worked itself out by moving gwt-canvas
back into a JAR and putting it in my classpath. I'd prefer to keep it
un-jar'ed for making modifications, but this is working for now.

On Sep 9, 8:54 am, Arthur Kalmenson <arthur.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently in GWT (1.5 and below), hosted mode is tied to the OS.
> Windows uses an IE based hosted mode, OS X a WebKet based one, and
> Linux uses a Mozilla based hosted mode. As far as I know, these are
> stripped down versions of these browsers.
>
> Out-Of-Process Hosted Mode (OOPHM) is currently a branch in active
> development that should be part of GWT 1.6, from what I've heard.OOPHMwill allow you to use any browser as your hosted mode, even your
> existing browser that may have a number of extensions on it. If you're
> interested, take a look at the design doc here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/DesignOOPHMor grab

mihai007

Sep 10, 2008, 11:23:42 AM9/10/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I just installed 1.5 in Windows, previously used in Ubuntu and never
thought about it.
This feature is quite important.

On 9 Set, 13:54, Arthur Kalmenson <arthur.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently inGWT(1.5 and below),hostedmodeis tied to the OS.
> Windows uses an IE basedhostedmode, OS X a WebKet based one, and
> Linux uses a Mozilla basedhostedmode. As far as I know, these are
> stripped down versions of these browsers.
>
> Out-Of-ProcessHostedMode(OOPHM) is currently a branch in active
> development that should be part ofGWT1.6, from what I've heard.
> OOPHM will allow you to use any browser as yourhostedmode, even your
> existing browser that may have a number of extensions on it. If you're
> interested, take a look at the design doc here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/DesignOOPHMor grab
> that branch and give it a whirl. Unfortunately, I don't think OOPHM
> works correctly withFirefoxyet, but others can correct me.
>
> Regards,
> Arthur Kalmenson
>
> On Sep 8, 9:47 am, Dimitri Kurashvili <dimak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Title of the post mentioned above:
>
> > <h3>Cangwthostedbrowser render likeFirefoxinstead of using
> > AppleWebKit in MacOS?</h3>

Uros Trebec

Oct 6, 2008, 10:34:59 AM10/6/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

I was just wondering how did you get it to work properly?

I've got it started and all but it crashes with
"InternalCompilerException" error on module load and that's it :/

I'm also using OOPHM on Linux with FF 3.0.1.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

Best regards,
Uros

(श्री) GNU Yoga

Oct 12, 2008, 1:48:05 AM10/12/08
to Google Web Toolkit
would you mind sharing how you got it working

On Sep 10, 9:26 pm, Thad <thad.humphr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using OOPHM onLinuxwith Firefox 3.0.1 for about a week now
> and I'm generally happy with the results.  I had some initial problems
> converting one project over when I missed one of Eclipse's links to
> gwt-user.jar.  That seemed to cause my RPC servlet calls to fail, but
> I got that corrected.
>
> Two days ago I was having some difficulty with OOPHM the Canvas widget
> from gwt-canvas--OOPHM would launch but the Canvas would throw a
> JavaScriptException in a random fashion:  The launch might fail two or
> three times, but then without any change in my code whatsoever, it
> would launch.  It seems that worked itself out by moving gwt-canvas
> back into a JAR and putting it in my classpath.  I'd prefer to keep it
> un-jar'ed for making modifications, but this is working for now.
>
> On Sep 9, 8:54 am, Arthur Kalmenson <arthur.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Currently in GWT (1.5 and below),hostedmodeis tied to the OS.
> > Windows uses an IE basedhostedmode, OS X a WebKet based one, and
> >Linuxuses a Mozilla basedhostedmode. As far as I know, these are
> > stripped down versions of these browsers.
>
> > Out-Of-ProcessHostedMode(OOPHM) is currently a branch in active
> > development that should be part of GWT 1.6, from what I've heard.OOPHMwill allow you to use any browser as yourhostedmode, even your
> > existing browser that may have a number of extensions on it. If you're
> > interested, take a look at the design doc here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/DesignOOPHMorgrab
> > that branch and give it a whirl. Unfortunately, I don't thinkOOPHM
> > works correctly with Firefox yet, but others can correct me.
>
> > Regards,
> > Arthur Kalmenson
>
> > On Sep 8, 9:47 am, Dimitri Kurashvili <dimak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Title of the post mentioned above:
>
> > > <h3>Can gwthostedbrowser render like Firefox instead of using
> > > AppleWebKit in MacOS?</h3>

(श्री) GNU Yoga

Oct 12, 2008, 5:27:32 AM10/12/08
to Google Web Toolkit
i got it working and i have listed the steps in my blog with
screenshot

http://slashgnu.blogspot.com/2008/10/gwt-hosted-mode-in-firefoxlinux.html

- sree