GWT 1.7 Now Available

Bruce Johnson

Jul 13, 2009, 9:01:09 PM7/13/09
to GWTcontrib
Hi everyone,

GWT 1.7 is a minor update that adds better support for Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.5, and Safari 4. Each of these new browser versions introduced at least one change that negatively impacted compiled GWT modules, so we recommend that you do update to GWT 1.7 and recompile your existing applications to ensure that they work with the latest versions of browsers. No source code changes on your part should be required.

Normally, a minor update such as this would have been named 1.6.5 (the previous latest version of GWT was 1.6.4), but we did add the value "ie8" to the "user.agent" deferred binding property, which could impact projects using custom deferred binding rules that are sensitive to that property. Thus, we went with GWT 1.7 rather than GWT 1.6.5, to indicate that you may need to pay attention to that change. Details are in the release notes.

In every other respect, this is just a bugfix release, so in the vast majority of cases, the update-recompile process should be nearly effortless.

Download here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=GWT+1.7.0

Cheers,
Bruce, on behalf of your friendly GWT Team

stuckagain

Jul 14, 2009, 2:32:37 AM7/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Good morning,

Are there any bugs fixed in this release or is it only focusing on
supporting the latest browsers ? I guess I will quickly know.

David
> Download here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=GW...

stuckagain

Jul 14, 2009, 2:44:02 AM7/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I checked the issues database. Am I right that everything labeled for
milestone 1_6_1 is in this release ?
> > Bruce, on behalf of your friendly GWT Team- Hide quoted text -

ma

Jul 14, 2009, 10:45:12 AM7/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Hello,

I have problems with GWT1.7 and the actual release of the gwt-
incubator library (gwt-incubator-march-02-2009.jar).
The following compile errors occur in my project:
[java] [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:../gwt-incubator-
march-02-2009.jar!/com/google/gwt/widgetideas/client/GlassPanel.java'
[java] [ERROR] Line 91: Rebind result
'com.google.gwt.widgetideas.client.impl.GlassPanelImpl' cannot be
abstract
[java] [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:../gwt-incubator-
march-02-2009.jar!/com/google/gwt/gen2/logging/impl/client/
ClientConsoleLogHandlerImpl.java'
[java] [ERROR] Line 206: Rebind result
'com.google.gwt.gen2.logging.impl.client.ClientConsoleLogHandlerImpl.Impl'
must be a class
[java] [ERROR] Cannot proceed due to previous errors

Is there a new incubator release planned where these issues are fixed?

Markus

Isaac Truett

Jul 14, 2009, 4:13:14 PM7/14/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
I decided to jump on 1.7 this morning. Looks good so far. No
compilation problems, no new issues so far, and IE8 behavior much
better.

Thank you, Bruce, et al.

Fushion

Jul 14, 2009, 4:37:48 PM7/14/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Same problem here.

Isaac Truett

Jul 14, 2009, 5:15:53 PM7/14/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried building incubator from trunk? I'm using more recent
incubator code and it compiles for me with GWT 1.7.

John Tamplin

Jul 14, 2009, 5:18:15 PM7/14/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Fushion <menno.van...@gmail.com> wrote:
Same problem here.

The problem is that it needs an IE8 deferred binding, and that is present in incubator svn (in GlassPanel.gwt.xml).  If you can't build incubator from svn, you can duplicate the ie6 line and change it to ie8 in the GlassPanel.gwt.xml file and it should work.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google

Ray Ryan

Jul 14, 2009, 5:23:08 PM7/14/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
We'll get a 1.7-compatible incubator jar built ASAP

Ray Ryan

Jul 14, 2009, 7:07:28 PM7/14/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com

Andrew Pietsch

Jul 15, 2009, 2:41:45 AM7/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Howdy,

Is there any plan to upload 1.7 to a public maven repository?

Cheers
Andrew

nicolas de loof

Jul 15, 2009, 2:43:24 AM7/15/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
I'm back from holliday and will publish it ASAP

cheers,
Nicolas

ma

Jul 15, 2009, 5:18:02 AM7/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Thanks for the fast reaction!
Now it works perfectly!

Markus

On Jul 15, 1:07 am, Ray Ryan <rj...@google.com> wrote:
> Okay, it's up:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit-incubator/wiki/Downloads?...
>
> All better?
>
> rjrjr

nicolas de loof

Jul 15, 2009, 5:19:56 AM7/15/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
I notice there is not tag in SVN for this release :

stuckagain

Jul 15, 2009, 9:29:02 AM7/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
GWT contribs,

I must say I am a bit disappointed with the support for IE7 in GWT
1.7.0.
In an enterprise environment IE7 is used a lot more than IE8, but GWT
still treats it as ie6 and ie8 gets first class support.

Take a look at these 2 issues:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3589
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3588

Both were marked for Milestone 1_6_1 but do not seem to be fixed in
this release.

The IE6 workarounds really have a huge impact on IE7: big memory leaks
when using ImageBundles or very bad performance when you use a lot of
popup panels in an SSL environment. I hacked GWT 1.5 a bit to disable
these 2 tricks on IE7 and it makes a huge difference.

Will these bugs be fixed in GWT 2.0 or do I have to wait until IE8 or
something else becomes mainstream in enterprise environments (in 3
years or so ?)

David

On Jul 14, 3:01 am, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Download here:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=GW...

Joel Webber

Jul 15, 2009, 9:40:27 AM7/15/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry you're disappointed, but we had to strike a balance between adding these optimizations, and getting support for IE8 and Safari4 out the door. The lack of such support was becoming an extremely important blocking issue for many users, and while I very much want to get to the issues you cite as soon as possible, they are optimizations (albeit important ones).

As to IE7 vs. IE8, there are two important things to consider:
1. IE7 users are upgrading to IE8 at a reasonable pace (while IE6 users are *not*, for various reasons).
2. IE7 isn't going to evolve anymore, whereas IE8 is. Other than some CSS issues, and the two issues below, IE7 is practically identical to IE6. Adding two new user agents would have had a significant impact on compile times. So it made more sense to make the split between IE6/7 and IE8.

Either way, these issues should be addressed in trunk fairly soon.

Thomas Matthijs

Jul 15, 2009, 9:52:45 AM7/15/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
> In an enterprise environment

> Will these bugs be fixed in GWT 2.0 or do I have to wait until IE8 or
> something else becomes mainstream in enterprise environments (in 3
> years or so ?)

Notting stopping you from fixing them yourself and submitting patches

David

Jul 15, 2009, 11:12:59 AM7/15/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Well, I guess you tend to focus too much on the internet side of
things - which I understand since I am talking to Google :-). Maybe we
should all be focusing on Android and iPhone since those browsers will
certainly have a huge impact on browser usage on the internet.

But in enterprise environments, which is also big if you look at it on
a worldwide scale, the demographics are more biased towards IE7 right
now. I would have liked it differently but things move more slowely in
corporates due to the cost and risks of always upgrading to the latest
fab.

As for providing a patch myself, well I kinda have one in my
environment but it has an impact on the build time since I had to
declare a new variable that detects if ie6 is actually ie7. Which
basically doubles the number of permutations :-(.

I decided to do it this way since I could implement this change in our
own application without the need to patch GWT. Ideally I guess the IE6
impl classes should fall back to the default implementation when the
browser is IE7. That should not be hard to implement... if only I had
access to the svn sourcetree at work (corporate policy!).

David

Andrew Pietsch

Jul 15, 2009, 10:09:15 PM7/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors