Eclipse Plugin and OSX woes

Matt Mastracci

Apr 17, 2009, 2:34:15 PM4/17/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
I'm running into the same JVM crash under Eclipse that I was running
into from Ant a few weeks ago (http://grack.com/blog/2009/04/14/gwt-16-crashes-and-a-fix/
) while trying to deploy a test AppEngine+GWT project. The output
from the compiler is pretty much:

Compiling module ...
Invalid memory access of location 00000000 rip=01160767

Any ideas where the Eclipse Plugin gets the JVM and the JVM arguments
to run to GWT portion of the compile? I tried adding the JIT
overrides to the workspace JRE default JVM properties, but those don't
seem to get picked up.

-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/core/internal/dtree/
DataTreeNode,forwardDeltaWith
-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/lookup/
ParameterizedTypeBinding,<init>
-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/lookup/
ParameterizedMethodBinding,<init>

The only argument I can see in the process list is "-Xmx512m".

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,
Matt.

Jason Parekh

Apr 17, 2009, 2:41:56 PM4/17/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matt,

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to specify arguments to the
JVM that runs the GWT compile. We're aware of the demand for this
feature though, so expect it in a future release.

As an absolute workaround, could you rename your java binary and
create a shell script in its place that launches the real java binary
with whichever args you want (prepended to the args given to the shell
script)?

jason

Matt Mastracci

Apr 19, 2009, 11:50:06 PM4/19/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

Thanks for the idea, it works well. I blogged the full instructions
below and included the final Python script I used to wrap the Java
executable. I've now managed to deploy an AppEngine project that uses
a 1.6 JVM to run (and is compatible with 1.6-level-compiled JAR files)
along with the supporting GWT code.

http://grack.com/blog/2009/04/19/the-final-word-on-google-eclipse-plugin-osx-crashes/

---- 8< ----
#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys
import os

print sys.argv
cmd = os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0]) + '/java_wrapped'

args = ['',
'-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/core/internal/dtree/
DataTreeNode,forwardDeltaWith',
'-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/
lookup/ParameterizedTypeBinding,<init>',
'-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/
lookup/ParameterizedMethodBinding,<init>']

args.extend(sys.argv[1:])

print cmd
print args
print ""

os.execv(cmd, args)

Vitali Lovich

Apr 20, 2009, 12:30:55 AM4/20/09
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
You asked on your blog how to quote spaces in bash.

"$@".  bash understands that & automatically does the right thing.