Unix File System Indexing

Sarfaraz Mandal

Jun 7, 2010, 4:11:40 PM6/7/10
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
We read that for Google Search Appliance to be able to index documents
in a file system, we must test weather GSA is able to connect the file
system.

We have GSA installed on UNIX box A. And file system is on UNIX box B.
How do we weather GSA on box A will be able to connect the file system
on machine B.

Further, please share how can we index private document. Is it
compulsory to have Samba on UNIX machine. (We read that GSA indexes
document in file system using SMB protocol)

Regards
Sarfaraz

Dave Watts

Jun 7, 2010, 4:21:39 PM6/7/10
to google-search-...@googlegroups.com
> We have GSA installed on UNIX box A. And file system is on UNIX box B.
> How do we weather GSA on box A will be able to connect the file system
> on machine B.

The appliance can connect to any SMB/CIFS filesystems. Obviously,
SMB/CIFS traffic will need to be routable if both machines aren't on
the same network segment.

> Further, please share how can we index private document. Is it
> compulsory to have Samba on UNIX machine. (We read that GSA indexes
> document in file system using SMB protocol)

You will need to have Samba on your Unix file server. The GSA has a
built-in Samba client, which it will use to connect to any SMB/CIFS
filesystems you want to share. It will require credentials to crawl
those filesystems, which you'll enter under Crawler Access. Unless you
check the "Make Public" checkbox, the user will be required to enter
credentials at serve time to view those results, and will only see the
results if their credentials allow access to those documents.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.