Crawl File system on Unix Server

Sarfaraz Mandal

Mar 31, 2010, 3:50:48 PM3/31/10
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Dear all,

We have access to GSA admin. We are trying to configure GSA to index
documents (MS word documents) on a file server in UNIX.

Please assist us with the steps involved for this requirement. (The
documents are private documents)

Regards
Sarfaraz

Dave Watts

Mar 31, 2010, 4:05:02 PM3/31/10
to google-search-...@googlegroups.com
> We have access to GSA admin. We are trying to configure GSA to index
> documents (MS word documents) on a file server in UNIX.
>
> Please assist us with the steps involved for this requirement. (The
> documents are private documents)

The GSA can only crawl SMB shares. You'll need to install and
configure Samba on your Unix machine:

http://www.samba.org/

Then, you can configure the GSA to crawl it:

http://code.google.com/apis/searchappliance/documentation/62/admin/URL_patterns.html#SMB_patterns

You'll need to give the GSA an account with access to the SMB share,
and configure that under Crawler Access.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.