Google Maps API server rejected your request.

goddi

Jan 26, 2009, 2:25:09 PM1/26/09
to Google Maps EZ
Greetings,
I have been getting the following error message for quite a long
time now and I have not been able to find the cure:
"The Google Maps API server rejected your request. This could be
because the API key used on this site was registered for a different
web site. You can generate a new key for this web site at
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/."
An example of this is when I go to this site to see its maps:
http://www.apartment.at/eng/googlemaps
I get the site but the maps do not show up and I get the error message
above.
I have applied the recommended fix I found on the Google Maps site
but it did not help. I get this error message on a regular basis on
different sites. I am using Firefox 3.0.4. But I also have the problem
when I try it with Netscape 7.2 and IE 7.0.5730.13 on the same PC. I
am using Windows XP Pro (service pack 2).
When I try to look at the same site using my wife's PC, I do not get
the error message and the maps come up just fine. Her PC has IE
7.0.5730.13, Windows XP Pro.
I have talked to a couple webmasters of the sites where I have the
problem but they don't believe it is anything on their site that is
causing the problem. It seems to be something on my PC that is causing
the problem. I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right
direction.
Thanks.... Gary

rob1951

Jan 31, 2009, 12:00:04 PM1/31/09
to Google Maps EZ
It's OK from my PC (Firefox 305, XP SP3).
I don't see how your PC could be part of the problem - a browser
requests the page from the webserver. The webserver "knows" a little
about your PC/OS/Browser but has no need to pass any of that on to
Google with the API enquiry. The communication is then a request from
the webserver to Google to fetch the map info, Google should get the
same enquiry regardless of the originating PC.

But you still have a real problem. So what are we missing?

Clutching at straws here... Google is saying it thinks the request
has come from somewhere other than apartment.at How might that be
possible?
Are you running a local webserver on your PC and you are accidentally
using that so Google's getting the request from that IP address rather
than the domain?
Do you have multiple domains pointing at the same webspace so you are
accessing the same page via an alternative domain?
I seem to recall that when I got a google API using www.example.com
then accessed the map using example.co, without the www I got the
error, in your case both www.apartment.at and apartment.at work OK but
that's the kind of thing to be looking for.
Caches or proxies are another area to think about but I'm not getting
any more useful thoughts in that area.

I would check the hosts file on the local PC also try another browser?
Safari perhaps? Clear your Browser caches. Disable your security
software (BRIEFLY!) - As I said I don't see how your PC could be part
of the problem but if it were those could be factors.

Rob

On Jan 26, 7:25 pm, goddi <god...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Greetings,
>    I have been getting the following error message for quite a long
> time now and I have not been able to find the cure:
> "The Google Maps API server rejected your request. This could be
> because the API key used on this site was registered for a different
> web site. You can generate a new key for this web site athttp://code.google.com/apis/maps/."

goddi

Feb 2, 2009, 4:34:46 PM2/2/09
to Google Maps EZ
On Jan 31, 12:00 pm, rob1951 <webtechnik.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you running a local webserver on your PC and you are accidentally
> using that so Google's getting the request from that IP address rather
> than the domain?
Ans: No

> Do you have multiple domains pointing at the same webspace so you are
> accessing the same page via an alternative domain?
Ans: No

> I seem to recall that when I got a google API usingwww.example.com
> then accessed the map using example.co, without the www I got the
> error, in your case bothwww.apartment.atand apartment.at work OK but
> that's the kind of thing to be looking for.
Ans: On a couple sites, I changed the 'http' to 'https' and got the
googlemap.

> I would check the hosts file on the local PC also try another browser?
Ans: Not sure what 'hosts files' means, but I have tried other
browers. The strange thing is that I don't get the problem when I use
my wife's laptop that is wireless using the same internet connection.

> Clear your Browser caches.  Disable your security
> software (BRIEFLY!) - As I said I don't see how your PC could be part
> of the problem but if it were those could be factors.
Ans: It seems it HAS to be something on my PC if my wife's PC works
fine but mine has the problem.
I'd appreciate any further thoughts... Gary

ehg

Mar 31, 2009, 3:16:02 PM3/31/09
to Google Maps EZ, god...@verizon.ne
Hi goddi,

have you found by chance meanwhile the reason for your problems (which
seem related to your PC only - not to your wife's pc)
We have a a few similar discussions and there is not yet a solution at
the GoogleMaps help forum.
Please have a look here:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/maps/thread?fid=62aa74e8379187cd0004666e973937e4&hl=en
It would be very helpful to get any success on your end to help the
affected people on the maps forum.
BTW: I read your thread about the similar matter at the API group.
But I'm not sure whether your (apparently now solved) problem at the
API group is exactly the same as here in this thread.
Here at this thread you mentioned to get the error "The Google Maps
API server rejected your request...." also
if you try to navigate to a public website like
http://www.apartment.at/eng/googlemaps
The thread at the API group seems to refer to an really API problem
with your API-Sites. Am I right or wrong with this?
Best Regards
ehg