Filter by Contact Group

Nick

Jul 18, 2008, 7:46:50 PM7/18/08
to Gmail-Users
It surprises me that gmail does not allow us to create filters from
contact groups. Why hasn't this been implemented yet and when can we
expect it to be?

Zack (Doc)

Jul 18, 2008, 10:42:52 PM7/18/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
As to why and when, we can only speculate as you can. Make sure its
in your suggest submission to demonstrate it's importance to you and
it'll get implemented that much faster (I've seen suggestions show up
exactly as I described them, so I know they get read, it's the power
of numbers though).

--
Jean Cocteau - "Art is science made clear."

Jonathan Holt

Aug 12, 2008, 9:46:38 PM8/12/08
to Gmail-Users
yeah, I just wanted to add a me too. This is def a feature I would
like

Angelcrusher

Aug 25, 2008, 5:12:05 PM8/25/08
to Gmail-Users
Until this feature is implemented, there is a shorter method of
manually entering group filters.

1) Create the group in My Contacts
2) Compose an email to said group
3) Copy the "To:" field
4) Paste into the "Convert" textbox here (http://
googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/create-email-blacklist-in-
gmail.html)
5) Copy the the "Convert" output into a new filter

Not ideal, but it sure saves some time!

Hope this helps,
Angelcrusher

mr.hworth

Sep 11, 2008, 1:15:40 AM9/11/08
to Gmail-Users
@Angelcrusher

Thank you. That worked quite nicely (not as nice as an integrated
feature of course, but very helpful given the situation :) )

-Matt

On Aug 25, 5:12 pm, Angelcrusher <lee.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Until this feature is implemented, there is a shorter method of
> manually enteringgroupfilters.
>
> 1) Create thegroupin My Contacts
> 2) Compose an email to saidgroup
> 3) Copy the "To:" field
> 4) Paste into the "Convert" textbox here (http://
> googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/create-email-blacklist-in-
> gmail.html)
> 5) Copy the the "Convert" output into a newfilter
>
> Not ideal, but it sure saves some time!
>
> Hope this helps,
> Angelcrusher
>
> On Aug 12, 9:46 pm, Jonathan  Holt <JonathanTH...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > yeah, I just wanted to add a me too. This is def a feature I would
> > like
>
> > On Jul 18, 7:46 pm, Nick <nick.col...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > It surprises me that gmail does not allow us to create filters from
> > >contactgroups. Why hasn't this been implemented yet and when can we
> > > expect it to be?

Larry Chu

May 10, 2011, 3:54:20 AM5/10/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
thanks, the method works well, better than nothin

Jago MF

May 29, 2011, 4:33:43 AM5/29/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail-Users
Any news regarding this issue? Are they planning to implement filtering by contact groups?

JohnW

May 29, 2011, 12:20:52 PM5/29/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail-Users
There has never been any mention of such an intention, either implied or directly.
BUT then, Google never do make their future intentions known in advance of a release - only perhaps to Trusted testers (who've previously signed an NDA)!!

Chris Walker

Jan 30, 2014, 8:22:50 PM1/30/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail-Users, lee....@gmail.com
Thank you! You just saved me a lot of time. Odd that the feature doesn't already exist.

AlanS

Mar 4, 2014, 10:04:17 PM3/4/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail-Users, lee....@gmail.com
Would love a feature like this!!!

Kenneth Ayers

Mar 5, 2014, 12:20:41 AM3/5/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM, AlanS <alan....@gmail.com> wrote:
Would love a feature like this!!!

This might not be quite what you have in mind but consider the following:
  • Add your contacts for the desired contact group to a circle you create for that group in Google+.
  • Go to mail settings, labels, and select to show in message list that circle as a label.
  • In the label column, click on the circle name.
The result is that all emails from and possibly to members of that circle will appear in that pseudo-label's view.

Kenneth

Michael Legg

May 1, 2014, 7:10:34 PM5/1/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Me too!

Marc Kupper

Jun 6, 2014, 5:56:21 PM6/6/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail...@googlegroups.com, nick....@gmail.com
On Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:12:17 PM UTC-8, Andrei Sabau wrote:
No longer works as it gives a "too long" error if you have too many email adresses, i had 68 and couldn't use this method.

 The http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/create-email-blacklist-in-gmail.html converter works fine even with a group that has over three thousand contacts (I tested this).

The issue is a gmail filter rule can't have more than about 1700 characters in it. The output of the converter is a list that looks like ma...@address.com OR ma...@address.com OR ma...@address.com OR ... The fix is to break that into two or more lists where each does not have more than 1700 characters. For my own rules I break the lines down to 1500 characters each to be safe. The 1700 character limit is after URL encoding and the amount of encoding you will run into is not easy to predict unless you automate the process.

Gmail does not seem to have a limit on the number of rules you can have. I have 145 at present with most of them having over 1400 characters. Another trick to save on space is rather than
ma...@address.com OR ma...@address.com OR ma...@address.com OR ...
is use curly braces.
{ma...@address.com ma...@address.com ma...@address.com ...}
The curly braces tell gmail to default to "OR" between every word in the set. Thus, you end up with one space between names versus the four characters needed for " OR ".

In my address book the average length of an address is 22.3 characters. Add one for the space and I should be able to fit 64 addresses per rule and will have about 1500 characters in each line.  If the OP had been using " OR " then 68 addresses works out to 1788 characters which overflowed gmail's limits.

F-3000

Mar 11, 2015, 4:31:00 PM3/11/15
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail...@googlegroups.com, nick....@gmail.com
I find it very odd that there's no way to filter mail by contact groups. Manually entering addresses into a filter is extremely clumsy and not possible with mobile app (as far as I'm aware of), and having a Google+ circle for this purpose creates unnecessary clutter into Google+. I have a filter to add certain people's mail into a specific label, which has it's own alert sound in my phone, so I know that there has arrived mail which I may want to react to much faster than on some less important mail. Controlling addresses under that filter/label would be A LOT easier, if mail could be filtered by contact groups.

Zack (Doc)

Mar 11, 2015, 4:53:53 PM3/11/15
to Gmail-Users Google Group
I would agree.  I know that was one of the reasons many people gave for wanting contact groups.  Make sure you suggest it to Google through the official channels, so we might get it.