Setting gmail to handle mailto links without any programs

Emerson

May 9, 2006, 11:30:25 PM5/9/06
to Gmail-Users
Well, I've been trying to make this happen for about four hours now. =D
So far, I got any mailto: link on the web to open gmail in another
window in the compose mail view and fill out the To: field. I only
changed one registry value:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

Where I changed the default value to:

"%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
Firefox\firefox.exe"http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&tf=1&to=%1

(note: This will most likely work for IE as well just change the path.)

How this fills the To: field is that the %1 at the end of that string
reads in the href value from the following html code:

This works except for that the %1 variable reads in the entire contents
between the parenthesis. So, when the compose mail window opens the To:
field reads mailto:som...@domain.com and google, of course, doesn't
accept that.

One could easily just delete the mailto: in front of the email address
but I want it to be perfect. =)

So, does anyone have any ideas about getting the %1 variable to omit
the mailto: prefix or use another variable to pull in the email address
into the compose mail To: field?

Thanks,
Emerson

Mr. Worthless

May 10, 2006, 7:24:19 PM5/10/06
to Gmail-Users
Hello Emerson,
You have brought up a very interesting topic that I'd like to see
answered. I myself find Outlook Express to most dispicable, and no
better than a pop-up window. I hope somebody out there is aware of a
solution, for they would be very, very helpful, and worthy of great
praise.