Source of quote

Simone Castaneda

Oct 19, 2007, 3:10:39 PM10/19/07
to Church...@googlegroups.com

Good afternoon. Would anyone happen to know which of Churchill's writings ( or speeches ? ) this quote comes from ?

Winston Churchill once said, "The three most difficult things for a man to do are climb a wall that's leaning toward him, kiss a woman who's leaning away from him, and deliver a good speech."

Thanks !

Simone Castañeda
Regional Librarian / Bibliothécaire régionale
Documentation Centre / Centre de documentation
Translation Bureau / Bureau de la traduction
(416) 973-1154 | facsimile / télécopieur (416) 973-5691
simone.c...@pwgsc.gc.ca/simone.c...@tpsgc.gc.ca
4900 Yonge Street, PH Level, Toronto, Ontario  M2N 6A6
4900, rue Yonge, Terrasse, Toronto (Ontario)  M2N 6A6
Public Works and Government Services Canada /
Travaux publics et Services gouvernementaux Canada
Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement !
Think green... before you print !

Editor/Finest Hour

Oct 20, 2007, 9:58:02 AM10/20/07
to ChurchillChat
>From my book, CHURCHILL BY HIMSELF (London/NY: Random House/Public
Affairs 2008), this is in my "Red Herrings" appendix of unattributed
quotations--not found in scans of 50 million words by and about
Churchill:

"The most difficult things for a man to do are to climb a wall leaning
towards you, and to kiss a girl leaning away from you."

Note: Sometimes quoted with a third difficulty: "...and to make an
after-dinner speech." Commonly ascribed, but found nowhere in the
canon. Recently claimed by religion columnist Marion deVelder, but
probably a much older expression.

=====
Nothing is dispositive; it may be in some memoir we have not scanned.
If anyone can provide a genuine attribution, I will happily add it to
the 4292 real quotations.