CAH Calendar

Patrick Everett

Apr 27, 2012, 5:01:01 PM4/27/12
to CAHum...@googlegroups.com

CONCORD  AREA  HUMANISTS
Sent 4/27/12

Wednesday Dialog - Doug Muder,  May 2.
Social 7:00.  Program 7:30 p.m.
A Humanist Approach to Death”

 First Parish In Concord, 20 Lexington Road, Concord, MA In the Parlor. Entrance is on the right, looking at building from the street.  Social 7:00.  Program 7:30 p.m.

Doug Muder is a widely published Humanist author and blogger.  He will talk on Death as a biological event that is connected both practically and metaphorically to a vast constellation of important issues about life: the good life, our motivation to live well, hope, justice, love, identity, and many others. Traditional religion deals with this constellation through its myths and doctrines about an afterlife. A Humanist approach to death must deal with all the human issues that death raises without resorting to wishful thinking or pretending to be certain about speculations that lack supporting evidence. We should not shrink from this challenge, and have many resources for meeting it.

Doug’s  articles have appeared in UU WorldReligious HumanismThe Humanist, and Public Eye.  He is a columnist for uuworld.org, distributes a political blog  The Weekly Sift,  a word survey of the liberal blogosphere that he calls "the political blog for people who don't have time for political blogs."  He also writes under the pseudonym Pericles for Daily Kos,  and authors the religious blog Free and Responsible Search.  A Google search will lead to many interesting writings by Doug.

Doug is currently in his third career, having already been a mathematician (Ph.D., University of Chicago, 1984) and an author of books about computer software (including the over-optimisticVRML for Dummies with fellow UU David Kay, 1996).  He is a well-rounded person.

Come and enjoy Doug’s lively presentation, followed by discussion. RSVP will help planning. Email p...@aol.com, with “CAH MAY 2” in subject line.

To help planning, RSVP to  p...@aol.com  with “CAH MAY” in subject line, if you are able.
At the April 4 meeting we had about 12 responses and over 60 attendees, all welcome!

------------------------

Open Discussion Group,   Tuesday May 15.  7:00 p.m.

Concord Library,  129 Main St, Concord, MA

Discussion hosted by: Paul W Jameson.  Details will be on www.MeetUp.com.

------------------------

Wednesday Dialog - Mike Hanauer,  June 6
Social 7:00.  Program 7:30 p.m.
Hooked on Growth

 First Parish In Concord, 20 Lexington Road, Concord, MA In the Parlor. Entrance is on the right, looking at building from the street.  Social 7:00.  Program 7:30 p.m.

Mike Hanauer will be showing the 50 minute version of the documentary film GrowthBusters: Hooked on Growth (http://www.growthbusters.org/) which will be followed by a discussion of the issues raised in the film. In particular, the issues around:
Economic Growth
Consumption Growth
Population Growth
Urban Growth

Open Discussion Group,   Tuesday June 19  7:00 p.m.

Concord Library,  129 Main St, Concord, MA

Discussion hosted by: Paul W Jameson.  Details will be on www.MeetUp.com.

Looking forward to seeing you at our meetings,
                                                            from your CAH Coordinator,
                                                                                                Patrick Everett
                                                                                                 p...@aol.com.

File: CAH_Ann’ce_4-27-12.pages