It would be stupid if it wasn't tragic

Eva Webster

Jun 24, 2009, 1:46:08 AM6/24/09
to AllstonBrighton2006, ABRA Group, BC_Neighb...@googlegroups.com
Ever wonder what it's like to be a student (and especially an athlete) in Brighton High?  See the link below.

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/articles/2009/06/24/they_have_miles_to_go_before_they_play/

What a waste of precious time in the lives of those young people..  Also, students who are chronically sleep deprived can't learn well.

This whole public school system in Boston is just infuriating.  Unworthy of this country.  Why do we tolerate this?  Why cannot it be changed to let kids have decent schools in their own neighborhoods?  Please enlighten me.

What does it matter if Brighton High is in a white neighborhood if those kids spend half of their days on trolleys and buses?  This system does not serve well those it is supposed to help.

There are pundits who say that the US is on its way to becoming a Third World country.  This is a perfect example why.  No developed country or first-class city tolerates such stupidity for decade after decade.

Joan Pasquale

Jun 24, 2009, 5:48:54 AM6/24/09
to Boston College Neighborhood Forum, allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, ABRA Group
I agree and have discussed this issue with neighbors many times.
It doesn't make sense to bus kids all over the city anymore.
Boston neighborhoods are now diversified.
Students should be attending the school that's closest to their home.
The extensive funding that is used for T Passes and Buses could be used to improve
the Boston Public School System.

Re:The Athletic Field in Cleveland Circle.
I recently addressed that issue with a Brighton High representative. It has always baffled me as to why the Brighton High School Sports Teams travel to Cleveland Circle to practice,
when Ringer Park has a huge field and is right down the street from the school, off of Warren Street. Practice is after school when the Ringer Park Field is empty.

Joan Pasquale
PCBG,Inc.
Ringer Park Partnership Group

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:46:08 -0400
Subject: [BC_Neighbors_Forum] It would be stupid if it wasn't tragic
From: evawe...@comcast.net
To: AllstonBr...@googlegroups.com; aberdeen-brig...@googlegroups.com; BC_Neighb...@googlegroups.com

johnath

Jun 24, 2009, 5:58:15 AM6/24/09
to AllstonBrighton2006
I have only read 3 parts of a 7 part series. So far a big factor is
that the children have very little parental support. I also found it
interesting that Boston city coaches do not send their children to
Boston public schools. The Mayor said "judge me harshly" when it comes
to education. The voters keep electing him. I will have more to say
after the series is finished. So far nothing has been said that does
not surprise me.
John

On Jun 24, 1:46 am, Eva Webster <evawebs...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Ever wonder what it's like to be a student (and especially an athlete) in
> Brighton High?  See the link below.
>
> http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/articles/2009/06/24/they_have_mi...
> go_before_they_play/

trenchesf...@riseup.net

Jun 24, 2009, 6:52:40 AM6/24/09
to AB...@lists.riseup.net, AllstonBr...@googlegroups.com, Boston College Neighborhood Forum, ABRA Group
Hey neighbors,
This is Jake Carman from the Allston/Brighton Neighborhood Assembly.
Yesterday, Harvard laid off over 250 workers. In these times, it is
unacceptable for the richest university in the world to be laying off
workers, let alone this many. There are too few jobs out there, national
unemployment rate is around 10% (and this only includes those who are
still receiving unemployment checks...not those whose checks ran out but
they still haven't found jobs) as most companies aren't making over 26.8
million a year in endowment alone. Harvard is sacrificing its workers
for the sake of remaining the richest school, and so the Harvard
Corporation and other top leaders do not have to take pay cuts
themselves.
A/B residents should stand with these workers. Many Harvard workers
live in our neighborhood, and institutions such as Harvard routinely
ignore and write off our rights and our wishes about our neighborhood,
treating us with the same disrespect as they treat their workers. This
wholesale disrespect must be confronted with a united show of
solidarity.

Information will be sent out by the Harvard No-Layoff's Campaign later
today (which I will forward along) but I wanted to give a heads up:

There will be a rally to protests these layoffs tomorrow! (Thursday, June
25th) at the John Harvard statue in front of University Hall in Harvard
Yard at noon. If you can get out of work (or are laid off yourself) please
come out to show that our neighborhood supports these workers.

We will certainly discuss this matter at the ABNA meeting Thursday at 7pm
at the Jackson Mann, all are welcome to attend.

There will also be a meeting with these workers on July 1st at 5:30pm at
the Phillip Brooks House in Harvard Yard.

Again, more info will come tonight, please mark your calendars and spread
to word to your neighbors and co-workers.
Working people and neighbors, stand together, before we have nothing
left to stand for!
-Jake Carman

Shirley Kressel

Jun 24, 2009, 8:56:56 AM6/24/09