Podcast .. Conference Call .. Redux

Gary

May 19, 2008, 8:52:28 PM5/19/08
to AdvaitaNow
The Advaita Show is dead. Nobody wants to talk about nothing month
after month, but here we do this on a daily basis.

I suggested this idea of a Podcast previously, but my daily life took
me in other directions. Now, I'll float the idea again.

We would agree upon a topic and then do one of two things.

1. Skype.. or another Internet voice service.. you will need a
headset (microphone-earphone combination). Quality is OK.. not great,
but free worldwide access.

2. Phone conference.. better sound quality, but dial in access costs.

Moderation would only be for the purposes of keeping somewhat on
topic.

Time would be somewhat of an issue, but a Sunday morning (U.S, Pacific
time) would probably do the trick.

Cameron might be interested in the MP3 file of the conference and
could rebroadcast on the Advaita Show... then not totally dead. I
would invite folks from the show thread to join the conversation.

Who is game? Suggestions welcome..

godszen

May 20, 2008, 1:58:11 AM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
we're just beating a dead horse around here too

my Controversy topic is what this is all about

empty2

May 20, 2008, 6:14:09 AM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
Well, I don't mind to give it a try - skype would be easiest.

But I know nothing, I'm shy and may not have anything to
say........hah hah!

BIG PROBLEM however, 8am American Pacific time means 10pm in Bangkok,
which is bedtime for work on Monday.

On the other hand, 8am Sunday in Bangkok would be 6pm Saturday over
there, but in England they'll be fast asleep.....and don't forget
Anandanand in India, - so who gets to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed?

And who's going to do the 'thinking' of what to talk about?

empty2

May 20, 2008, 6:29:15 AM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
Oh thank you, godzen! Just let me know if you want any dead horses
beaten in future!

It's all Rodger's fault.......never there when you need him (:)

Marcus

May 20, 2008, 9:48:46 AM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
.

Gary…

Dead horse, where………..

I thought judgement was to be discouraged. This being one of the few
medias where free speech is the only rule. Given all things have
purpose perhaps this includes the apparent proverbial dead horse.
Personally these discussions work on many levels. It’s not just the
typed words but their intonation. Like some times one can hear a door
slam, or a window open. It’s the space between the words which say
the most. The way some people prefer to quote others or play
intellectual pin-pong (table tennis) with concepts. What is always a
joy is to see like minded peoples sharing their interpretations. We
all know ultimately it’s just another day at the zoo. So why not make
it as interesting as possible.

It works because it is-not an instantaneous chat house conference.
Time to think.

If it needs a new topic then think of one.
Famous man once said :- Build the temple and the people will come.

Are we only taking to each other ??
where are all the others ??

.
> > my Controversy topic is what this is all about- Hide quoted text -

empty2

May 20, 2008, 12:09:06 PM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
Wadda! Did someone say dead horse?

Gary,

On second thoughts, puddycat Marcus may be right. We'd probably end up
talking about the weather.

empty2

May 20, 2008, 12:29:29 PM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
Marcus, what 'others'?

(but don't tell Gary that!)

(:)

empty2

May 20, 2008, 12:36:05 PM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
Mind you, that could be his 'problem', - he thinks he's just talking
to himself!

.........probably too enlightened.......no longer of this world......
(:)

Sorry, I'll go to bed now.

Gary

May 20, 2008, 12:44:25 PM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
Agreed..that is why we need a moderator to bring it back on topic. I
think that some limited off-topic makes for fun

My real purpose with the podcast is to provide some real world
practical benefits to these ramblings. I thought that an occasional
livingroom chat might make for an interesting podcast. Listen to
Bob's group meetings. Some of the most interesting topics come about
while he banters with the audience. This podcast would not have a
central figure, but I think that the quality of the members makes the
outcome just the same. Most, if not all of you could sit in Bob's
chair. Of course, Bob has a real gift at explaining this stuff and
bringing it down to the real world. The podcast would be consistent
with the stated purpose of the group. If Cameron gives a listen and
likes what he hears, then we can let him post the podcast. If it ends
up as total chaos then we can drop it in the trash. Otherwise, we can
post it elsewhere.

Best,
Gary

godszen

May 20, 2008, 5:22:04 PM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
I doubt that these ramblings would be much more interesting than most
other spiritual ramblings

it's basicly I'm right, you're wrong, who cares, and fuck you

Gary

May 20, 2008, 5:51:09 PM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
godzen:

Perhaps you are right, but should you be right the trash can will be
the only recipient of the "fuck you".

Of course, having a strong central figure would make that person right
and the rest wrong. This is a much more manageable situation, but a
format found in books and most other resources.

I would like to start out with a central topic. One that is at the
heart of Bob's/Gilbert's Advaita teachings. Perhaps a topic such as,
"Is there an independent you and is there free will?" This is a topic
that should lend itself to moderation and would touch upon the basics.

Gary

May 20, 2008, 6:41:54 PM5/20/08
to AdvaitaNow
BEST TIME

I think this depends upon who wants to do this. Here is an example of
times:

California: Sat 6 AM
London: Sat 2 PM
Thailand Sat 8 PM
Melbourne Sat 11 PM

Here is a world clock:

http://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks.htm

godszen

May 21, 2008, 1:07:40 AM5/21/08
to AdvaitaNow
maybe Sandeep would like to take the helm?

empty2

May 21, 2008, 6:43:05 AM5/21/08
to AdvaitaNow
sounds ok, so how does it work?

Gary

May 21, 2008, 11:38:20 AM5/21/08
to AdvaitaNow
I'll announce a time. Prior to that time you need to make sure that
you have a headset. The use of speakers results in feedback, so that
doesn't work. Go to Skype and signup. I'll include instructions in
my time announcement as to how to send me your Skype ID Name. This
name will allow you to join the conference. Then you just join the
conference anytime after the beginning and before the conference
ends. So, there must be time...ehhh?

Mark

May 22, 2008, 7:28:47 AM5/22/08
to AdvaitaNow
I wouldn't really be into a podcast type thing as 1) I have nothing to
add to the discourse 2) would be too embarassed that it was being
recorded and would sounds like an a-hole

However it might be fun for everyone to talk weekly just for the hell
of it, if not by skype by text chat
> > >http://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks.htm- Hide quoted text -
Message has been deleted

Gary

May 22, 2008, 10:26:51 AM5/22/08
to AdvaitaNow
Mark:
I think that you are right about the not recording some of these. It
would be nice to just say hi sometime. I'll set the next time for
just an informal chat.

I announced this as a possible podcast on The Advaita Show, so I want
to keep the first event (see top float) as is and those that feel
comfortable will send me IDs. Remember Mark, you can be part of the
podcast, get on the conference and be silent. No problem with that
one. Also, a topic such as "How has "Advaita" Understanding Impacted
Your Life? might be a good start. How could anyone be an expert at
answering that one? Even if your answer was "not at all", you would
be on an even playing ground as the "I'm a perfect being".

Regarding the a-hole part.. I guess that the rest of us have accepted
that we are a-holes. After all, a-holes are just creation a-
holing... Anyway, I suspect that this perception would prove to be
false.

Richard

May 22, 2008, 12:38:41 PM5/22/08
to AdvaitaNow

Will this include the video part of skype or can I scratch myself in
private places?

Will let you know my skype ID when my wife lets me know what it is.

A moderator is necessary and I vote for Gary who seems fair and
reasonable.

Good idea, Gary.

Richard

May 22, 2008, 1:18:16 PM5/22/08
to AdvaitaNow

To prevent all from talking at once (as Gary mentioned), if this
happens the moderator can intervene and say, "Let so and so answer
first" (or something like that).

Looks like you are planning on June 7th. It's an auspicious day ....
my birthday.

godszen

May 22, 2008, 4:21:41 PM5/22/08
to AdvaitaNow
6 AM is a little early, unless I accidently wake up?

Gary

May 22, 2008, 5:30:16 PM5/22/08
to AdvaitaNow
Godzen:

You accidentally wake up every morning. I'm in the same time zone as
you and so I'll be up even earlier than this. This seemed like the
only possible time where the time is somewhat reasonable for
everyone. You and I are probably the most out of sorts with the time.

Gary

May 23, 2008, 11:15:54 AM5/23/08
to AdvaitaNow
Once you send your ID, I will send a request to make your Internet
sign-on visible to me. Please respond yes. I will send out reminders
the day before. Richard..maybe you could give Godzen and myself a
wakeup call:)

Richard

May 23, 2008, 11:47:35 AM5/23/08
to AdvaitaNow

On May 23, 11:15 am, Gary <contaxg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Richard..maybe you could give Godzen and myself a
> wakeup call:)

Okay. Whomever in the U.S. wants this, email me your phone number. And
then check your emails regularly and I will let you know only if it
occurs that I change my mind or availability to do this.

I might wake you 15 to 20 minutes before the conference call unless
you specify otherwise.

Why not make it an hour later? As proposed it's early for you and also
early for me, and I suppose early for others across the U.S. Don't
know about other countries or how those participants might feel about
moving the time back and staying up late Saturday night.

Gary

May 23, 2008, 1:03:22 PM5/23/08
to AdvaitaNow
I can change the time a few days before the call should nobody appear
from the 11:00 segment of the world. I figured that many don't want
to talk. Some will want to, but will never get around to buying the
headset. So, I didn't think it useful to ask who is interested. I'll
just let the members send me their Skype ID's.

So, please send me your location along with your Skype IDs. This will
allow us to adjust the final time. So far, Thailand is the late
member and PST (California) is the earliest.

Gary

May 23, 2008, 4:56:37 PM5/23/08
to AdvaitaNow
Didn't intend to change thread topic.. back to Podcast topic

Richard

May 23, 2008, 9:26:57 PM5/23/08
to AdvaitaNow

Will this include the video aspect of skype?

Gary

May 23, 2008, 10:45:13 PM5/23/08
to AdvaitaNow
Richard:

Not this time. This requires more money and a high speed connection.
You can upload your photo on Skype. So.. audio only.

godszen

May 24, 2008, 2:44:10 PM5/24/08
to AdvaitaNow
what city are you living in?
> > 6 AM is a little early, unless I accidently wake up?- Hide quoted text -

Gary

May 24, 2008, 3:54:29 PM5/24/08
to AdvaitaNow
godzen:

I'm in Castro Valley, just South of Oakland.

Gary

May 25, 2008, 10:43:57 AM5/25/08
to AdvaitaNow
TOPIC:

Why were you interested in "Advaita" and what benefit have you derived
from this perspective?

I think that we should start out with something simple. This topic
allows us to take this stuff out of the abstract and bring it back to
the practical. Everyone is an expert with regards to this topic. The
topic subtext gives us a good bit of latitude in where we take our
discussion.

OK..I think that covers everything. I hope to see you there.. I'll
let this thread fade away.

Cameron Reilly

May 27, 2008, 8:35:16 PM5/27/08
to AdvaitaNow
I'd love to sit in as well! Skype ID = cameronreilly. My timezone
might screw it up though.
But if I do sit in, I'm happy to do the recording, etc.

BTW - The Advaita Show isn't dead. It's just resting. Look at it's
beautiful plumage.

godszen

May 28, 2008, 2:09:46 AM5/28/08
to AdvaitaNow
I recommend you go and sit with David Spero

he's right up the street from you now

check his schedule, a 2-hour meditation should be good to see if you
get anything out of it

let me know

Gary

May 28, 2008, 9:52:41 AM5/28/08
to AdvaitaNow
godqen:

I'm sure that I would get something out of it, but it would have to be
very close to my house because my schedule allows for very little free
time. I practice the economic philosophy of buying my house at the
top of the market so that I can work till I drop. Let me know where
he is and I'll go should it be a short drive and I'm not working/
wife's not working.
Thanks,
Gary

godszen

May 28, 2008, 5:39:27 PM5/28/08
to AdvaitaNow
the last few days I've had trouble logging on to his website

http://www.davidspero.org

but here's something:

3) Friday, May 30, 7:30 - 9 p.m.: Meditate and Dialog with David in
San
Francisco. San Francisco Zen Center, 308 Page Street, San Francisco,
CA 94102. (Unrestricted street parking. Chairs are lightly padded.
You
may want to bring cushions or backjacks.)

- Friday, June 13, 7:30-9:00 p.m. Meditate and Dialog with David in
San Francisco at the San Francisco Zen Center

Richard

May 29, 2008, 1:54:55 AM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow
What the hell do the above three entries have to do with this thread?

Gary

May 29, 2008, 3:07:52 AM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow
Richard:

Godzen was trying to help me so I didn't want to reject his offer.
The three threads have absolutely nothing to do with any current
thread, but since Godzen felt the urge...well there you have it.

Regarding this thread, I'll beg for one, or two more members and then
check with Cameron regarding his hosting of the podcast/conference.
He has lots of experience with this sort of thing. Right now we have
Cameron, you and Patrick. I'm sure that Patrick could do this thing
all by himself. You have a great background, but are such a
wallflower. Godzen won't yet be awake and others haven't an interest,
or no equipment. I was hoping that Nathan, Eric, Ram, or one of our
other guru sorts might show up. Also, some of our well grounded
females would be great. So, there you go Richard..back on topic.

Godzen..SF is just tooooo many $4.25 gallons for me. When his site is
back up, I'll see if he will be a bit more down the street.

Ram

May 29, 2008, 4:16:43 AM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow
Sorry guys, but with posts like:

"What is necessary is to understand with sure conviction is that all
is temporary, and does not reflect your true state."
-From Consciousness and the Absolute by Nisargadatta Maharaj

there really isn't any urge to say anything.

Here's an idea. Take the written transcripts of the threads from
AdvaitaNow, run them through some voice output software and then you
can have all of our threads to listen to in your spare time. No skype
needed. You can even output my posts in a female voice if you feel the
feminine presence is lacking.

:O)

Anandanand

May 29, 2008, 8:36:55 AM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow

On May 29, 12:07 pm, Gary <contaxg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding this thread, I'll beg for one, or two more members and then
> check with Cameron regarding his hosting of the podcast/conference.
> He has lots of experience with this sort of thing. Right now we have
> Cameron, you and Patrick. I'm sure that Patrick could do this thing
> all by himself. You have a great background, but are such a
> wallflower. Godzen won't yet be awake and others haven't an interest,
> or no equipment.

I didn't want, till now, to get in to this subject. This being not fit
for me. I am with Mark on this.

I don't have the equipment, is the excuse. I prefer to stay out. I
would love to hear the recording later.

Gary

May 29, 2008, 11:11:21 AM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow
OK Ram... I've got the God-Machine programmed to get you.

godszen

May 29, 2008, 4:34:50 PM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow
as far as the podcast goes I wouldn't have anything more to say than
I've already written

do you want to hear me say it?

would it make a difference?

Gary

May 29, 2008, 5:29:50 PM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow
godzen:

I was thinking that I would host this and that we would have three or
four people discussing things. This put me in the position of mostly
listening. Now that Cameron has offered to do the honors, I'm
thinking along the lines that you mentioned. Having said that, I
suspect that we would start out slow, but then everyone would end up
putting their two cents in. We would all need to adapt to this way of
relating. It is almost like "real life"..how frightening.... Cameron
is a good host and can make thing move. Some diversity of opinion is
always good as long as everyone gets their two cents in and we have
some balance. Any difference, hey..who knows...maybe.

Richard

May 29, 2008, 9:51:03 PM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow

Have you invited Steven Witt? It would then be like the Advaita Show
but with a few additional people to add input and questions.

And those who just want to listen, could they type in questions,
subjects, and comments, to be read by the moderator?

That morning PMH Atwater, popular near-death experiencer and
researcher will be giving a talk in my area. I found that out today as
I was returning one of her books to the library.

I seldom do anything but on the rare occasion something is planned,
often there's a conflict. So now I need to decide whether to go listen
to Atwater tell of her near death experiences or partake in the
conference call and have my own.

Gary

May 29, 2008, 11:20:25 PM5/29/08
to AdvaitaNow
Richard... we can do text with voice.
Steve knows about what we are doing. I first posted on The Advaita
Show podcast thread.
This conversation is locked