Message to PETA re: Killing & trashing healthy animals

Brennan Browne

Feb 13, 2007, 6:06:26 PM2/13/07
to AR-News

PETA representative Chris Holbein wrote:

it's no secret that PETA kills animals. Never has been. PETA
> euthanized 1,946 animals in 2005
Anyone who doesn't know that PETA euthanizes hundreds of animals
every year simply
> hasn't been paying attention, either to the organization, what it says,
> or the public documents it submits.
> Some don't want to.

As a PETA supporter and defender since 1980, it was always my
understanding that PETA had QUALIFIED veterinarians euthanizing
animals that were injured and/or sick beyond help.
PETA has inferred that when necessary these "kindnesses" are done
within the confines of local jurisdictions, with the full knowledge
and approval of authorities.

In all of the years I've been receiving "Animal Times" and the
Augustus Club Newsletter...as well as being an activist on behalf of
many PETA projects, I was never ONCE informed that PETA actively seeks
out healthy animals to kill. But then I have never been privy to being
'inside' the organization such as Chris Holbein has. Contrary to what
was stated, PETA's policy of killing healthy animals IS NOT common
knowledge to the average PETA supporter.

It turns my stomach to think I've been giving 26 years of support to
an organization that has been unceremoniously killing and trashing
innocents by the thousands.

I'm grateful to Hertford County officials for bringing this atrocity
to light. PETA would have been set to receive nearly 3 million dollars
in life insurance after my death...since this story broke, PETA has
been removed as beneficiary.

PETA appears to be morphing into a caricature of itself...I had hoped
that it would rediscover a solid direction and move away from the
circus-like histrionics that are now having a negative effect on the
whole AR movement.

If PETA truly holds the position that death is better than life for a
healthy animal, then their God-like arrogance and inability to
creatively problem-solve is showing.

No kill solutions exist for those willing to use their brains and some
effort to organize such programs. They are relatively simple to
implement. Here's a start, if you're listening PETA:

You already work with county shelters, so no need to establish a
rapport.

A) Gain support from county shelters and local authorities to
implement MANDATORY spay, neuter and licensing laws for both dogs and
cats, on a county by county basis.

B) Licensing fees and funds earmarked for euthanasia should be
redirected into low cost spay and neuter programs for each shelter.

C) Reduce the flow of animals by enacting ordinances that require
EVERY business selling animals to spay and neuter before each sale.

D) Outlaw unlicensed breeders. Huge fines ($100,000 and up) imposed by
counties, will put them out of business.

E) Extend shelter hours from 7am-10pm, 7 days a week. People can't
adopt animals if they have limited access.

F) Hold "social mixers" at local shelters. Once every week bring out
the coffee and cookies and invite the public in for an open
house...let them interact with the animals outside of their cages.
Bring out the toys for the mutts and the kitty condos and 'display'
the animals in a more normalized atmosphere. The more one is able to
showcase the personalities of individual animals, the higher the
adoption rate.

G) Get the word out to the public via Public Service
Announcements...let them KNOW about the extended hours, low cost spay
and neuter programs and the social events.

These ideas are just the tip of the iceberg.

Every problem has an "ethical" solution...but it DOES take people with
common sense, vision and the willingness to propel it to reality.

With the revelation of this latest piece of news, PETA has made a
mockery of its own name.

Brennan Browne

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 13, 2007, 8:25:48 PM2/13/07
to endspec...@hotmail.com, AR-News
Dearest Brennan,

Thank you, kindly, for you thoughtful message. While sometimes one might
become a little upset by the behaviour of others and maybe this a common and
responsible reaction, a few gentle souls might think that perhaps this
bustling email list might not be the most appropriate venue for your
wonderfully consistant views.

While concise and accurate, and this topic is worthy of feeling a little
frustrated, i must ask, if you don't mind, that you accept my most sincere
but heartfelt 'notification' about maybe some of the appropriateness of some
of the elements of this worthy contribution.

If it is convenient and of your nature, in the future, please consider
refraining from sending these posts to AR-News. Please do not mistake me,
however, everyone appreciates and welcomes your contributions.

Lovingly yours, hugs and kisses (or not, if you don't feel comfortable being
touched, but a kindly smile regardless)

- Dave, AR-News Caretaker, Former Draconian List Tyrant Dictator Jerkface